AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-06, 18:27   Link #1141
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Just an OVA? Shoot, I am hoping for a full-blown movie made in DYRL fashion.

- Tak

Oooh Movie! Yeah, I certainly can go tfor that idea.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼
Old 2008-08-06, 18:31   Link #1142
Darial
Otaku in disguise

Quote:
Tak, you're always going big! That'd be really awesome, and if DVD sale continues at the current rate, it just might happen. Hmm... here's to dreams becoming a reality.
Old 2008-08-06, 19:37   Link #1143
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
A second season is not necessary, although I would not rule out further extensions. After all, you need to ask yourself just what we are going to do with 20+ episodes? Just to focus on the side stories and misc. plots?
Yes? C'mon, Sheryl/Alto/Ranka having some Basara/Mylene/Gamrin style misadventures? It would be awesome!!!

I do really think there's enough story to tell, but it does run the risk of burning out the fans if it goes too long...

Quote:
In some places, thats a delicacy.
I've always wanted to try ostrich, personally...

Quote:
He will Maybe not in 12 ~ 14 years, but sooner.

But I guess thats what makes Macross good, because we don't get traumatized by the unnecessary continuity of the Gundam franchise by having one series after another, with little variation in between.
So true...

Quote:
Now see, I actually want the dad to live old enough for a grandson

- Tak
I would like to see Alto and his dad get some resolution... although I think we're more likely to see Miku Ichijo before he sees any grandkids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
Nevertheless, I'll always stick around for the ride regardless if it's a let down or not (As a Macross fan, I always make sure to finish the story from start to end). I could always find entertainment in even the most incomplete story lines...but like I said earlier...Yoshino also known to pull one of those "last 2 episode" miracles. I can sort of place my faith in that.

If I set myself with low expectations that I may be in for an extremely pleasant surprise. If all else fails, then I shall turn to the horrible world of fanfiction with some added doujinshi.
I think the only Macross I was disappointed by so far was Dynamite 7... and even then I think it was more that it felt out of place than that it was bad.

Really, I don't even think a crappy ending would sour me on the ride it's been so far; it's just been way too much fun. Although, I may look hesitantly on any future Frontier related projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darial View Post
I would love an OVA detailing Ozma's side story from 10 years ago dealing with the 117 research fleet. A truly GAR lead, young Cathy, and maybe we'll even see pre-borg Grace.
One of the major plot points would have to be a Fire Bomber concert... a pre-borg Grace singing Mylene songs in the mirror... that, would be DYNAMITE!
Old 2008-08-06, 22:59   Link #1144
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
One of the major plot points would have to be a Fire Bomber concert... a pre-borg Grace singing Mylene songs in the mirror... that, would be DYNAMITE!
Oh look at seiyuu Kikuko Inuoe.

Grace was one of the Milky Dolls. An idol group in 2047.
Old 2008-08-07, 00:07   Link #1145
magnuskn

Quote:
A second season is not necessary, although I would not rule out further extensions. After all, you need to ask yourself just what we are going to do with 20+ episodes? Just to focus on the side stories and misc. plots?
I think I just lined out what could be done, which is not only "side stories and misc. plots". There are worlds of plot which could be done with a humans vs. enhanced humans plot. The universe is much bigger than only the Macross Frontier colonization fleet.

Quote:
I'd have some faith. For one, he is not working on a sunrise franchise, for 2, the pacing in Macross F had been great, as of late.
I disagree, within certain limits. Since episode 15, I have been waiting for the "real game" to begin , as was announced so grandly by the AIs.

So far, the pacing has been curiously sedate, with a "Haha, gotcha!" episode as the last one and the romance between Ranka and Alto getting the back-burner, not to mention the set-up of facehugging Vajra in the ship. I think that the producers are letting themselves have more time with the whole story, because they know that they´ll get more episodes to play with.

Quote:
Oh, please not. We don´t need to the story to be "retold", we need more of the running storyline.

To finish, some more predictions coming out of the current spoilers:

Altos dad ( and lots of other Frontier citizens ) will be eaten by the Vajra which are beginning to hatch in the hold of Frontier.

Also, I think Nanase gets to be food for Ai-kun, because Grace needs some leverage after Ranka decides not to use her singing as a weapon anymore.
Old 2008-08-07, 01:05   Link #1146
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Oh look at seiyuu Kikuko Inuoe.

Grace was one of the Milky Dolls. An idol group in 2047.
I saw that on MW, but only really noticed the Miho Miho part. I think she might be my favorite bridge bunny, even over Shammy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
So far, the pacing has been curiously sedate, with a "Haha, gotcha!" episode as the last one and the romance between Ranka and Alto getting the back-burner, not to mention the set-up of facehugging Vajra in the ship. I think that the producers are letting themselves have more time with the whole story, because they know that they´ll get more episodes to play with.
I'm still pulling for a ~50 episode series when all is said and done. It just... makes sense, when you consider previous Macross series and the way the plot is progressing, as well as some comments by Kawamori in interviews (not just the 3/5 one ). I don't want to get caught up in false hope, nor do I want to get burnt out on Macross (and I can see how you could, honestly a couple of weeks ago I was booing the idea of a s2) but if in fact it was planned to be that long and they've just been screwing with us? OMGWTFBBQ teh epicness!!!

When push comes to shove, though, even hoping for 28 episodes is wishful thinking at this point. But even if it ends at 25... so long as things stay interesting... it will have been one hell of a ride.

Quote:
Oh, please not. We don´t need to the story to be "retold", we need more of the running storyline.
I'm pretty much in agreement on this one, but contingent on how it ends as far as continuing the storyline. But then I'm one of the people think SDFM/DYRL ended perfectly fine as it was, and needed no continuation.
Old 2008-08-07, 01:10   Link #1147
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
I saw that on MW, but only really noticed the Miho Miho part. I think she might be my favorite bridge bunny, even over Shammy...

I'm still pulling for a ~50 episode series when all is said and done. It just... makes sense, when you consider previous Macross series and the way the plot is progressing, as well as some comments by Kawamori in interviews (not just the 3/5 one ). I don't want to get caught up in false hope, nor do I want to get burnt out on Macross (and I can see how you could, honestly a couple of weeks ago I was booing the idea of a s2) but if in fact it was planned to be that long and they've just been screwing with us? OMGWTFBBQ teh epicness!!!

When push comes to shove, though, even hoping for 28 episodes is wishful thinking at this point. But even if it ends at 25... so long as things stay interesting... it will have been one hell of a ride.

I'm pretty much in agreement on this one, but contingent on how it ends as far as continuing the storyline. But then I'm one of the people think SDFM/DYRL ended perfectly fine as it was, and needed no continuation.
that is if you like DYRL.....
Old 2008-08-07, 01:52   Link #1148
Wesley84

Series ends when they run out of ways to use/develope Ranka's character.
Old 2008-08-07, 07:25   Link #1149
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
I think I just lined out what could be done, which is not only "side stories and misc. plots". There are worlds of plot which could be done with a humans vs. enhanced humans plot. The universe is much bigger than only the Macross Frontier colonization fleet.
I personally would propose that we save it for the next series, or have it extended only by a few OVA episodes and not an entirely new season.

Quote:
I disagree, within certain limits. Since episode 15, I have been waiting for the "real game" to begin , as was announced so grandly by the AIs.
It be comin' lad, it be comin'

Quote:
A production as good as Macross deserves an equally lavish movie.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-08-07, 07:35   Link #1150
magnuskn

Quote:
I personally would propose that we save it for the next series, or have it extended only by a few OVA episodes and not an entirely new season.
We have a fantastic cast of characters right now. Why push that storyline on another batch of characters, who could conceivably be not so interesting?

Second seasons are not a bad thing. Hell, most American TV series have several seasons, that most anime don´t get more always seemed strange to me.

Series like Buffy, Babylon 5 or Deep Space Nine really got rolling after their first season, so how more awesome could an already fantastic series like Macross Frontier get?

The writers have fascinated us with their imagination in this season already, I trust they would be up to it for at least one more, if not several.

Quote:
A production as good as Macross deserves an equally lavish movie.

- Tak
I don´t know how exactly they could top the animation of the better episodes. And I like the story as it is, a retelling really doesn´t do it for me. Didn´t do it for me in DYRL, either.

*edit* I wonder where the episode 18 thread is. ^^

Last edited by magnuskn; 2008-08-07 at 08:33.
Old 2008-08-07, 08:51   Link #1151
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
We have a fantastic cast of characters right now. Why push that storyline on another batch of characters, who could conceivably be not so interesting?

Second seasons are not a bad thing. Hell, most American TV series have several seasons, that most anime don´t get more always seemed strange to me.

Series like Buffy, Babylon 5 or Deep Space Nine really got rolling after their first season, so how more awesome could an already fantastic series like Macross Frontier get?

The writers have fascinated us with their imagination in this season already, I trust they would be up to it for at least one more, if not several.
Unlike American productions Japanese anime does usually end its storyline.

One of the major selling points of Macross is it's generational aspect.

Starting with Macross Flashback 2012 ushering a new era with the original trio leaving then historically disappearing.

The PC Engine games 2036 and Eternal Love Song focused on next generation, such as Komalia Jenius, first daughter of Max and Millia.

Macross Plus being set 30 years after Space War 1, in an era of peace and unity.
Mankind achieving Global's dream of colonization.

Macross 7 at 35 years after Macross reintroducing us to Max, Millia and Exsedol as well as a new generation. Also uncovering the mystery of the destruction of the Protoculture and the origin of the Supervision Army. Macross 7 Trash being a sidestory to it. Macross Dynamite 7 introduces us to another miclone species, the Zolan, who has joined the NUNG.

The game VFX with the return of Miho Miho and the introduction of an all girl Idol group Milky Dolls. Who you'll have to save.

The game M3 introducing us to Moaramia Jifon Jenius, Max and Millia's adopted daughter. Set in 2022.

Macross VFX-2, set in 2051, whose storyline can be said as OVA worthy. Introducing us to ace pilot Aegis Focker. The events of VFX-2 gives us a hint as to why the political structure changed in Macross Frontier.

Macross Zero is a prequel to Macross, a year before Space War 1. Adding the mystique of the Protoculture.

Macross Frontier introduces us to a another colony fleet. it acknoledges past events like Minmay, Basara, and Macross Zero. As well as the restructuring of UN Spacy to NUNS. The failed coup attempt in VFX-2 by UN Spacy general William Garland led to many reforms. The mystery of the Vajra and Macross Galaxy conspiracy and how it relates to the main protagonists being a good story selling point.
Old 2008-08-07, 08:54   Link #1152
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
yes theyre all tied together
but

where is the episode 18 thread, shouldnt it have aired?
Old 2008-08-07, 08:55   Link #1153
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Well one OVA I'd wouldn't mind seeing is about the Diamond Force from the MF fleet.

Right now all we get the SMS version of everything. I wouldn't mind seeing what the NUNS thoughts are. It's obviously they're good pilots, at least as good as SMS. They just don't get the cutting edge tech LAI provides to SMS.
Old 2008-08-07, 08:56   Link #1154
Tsuchiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolycooly7777 View Post
yes theyre all tied together
but

where is the episode 18 thread, shouldnt it have aired?
no airs it in 2h29m....
Old 2008-08-07, 09:00   Link #1155
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
I don´t know how exactly they could top the animation of the better episodes.
They can top that rather easily.
Old 2008-08-07, 09:38   Link #1156
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Unlike American productions Japanese anime does usually end its storyline.
Oh, American shows end their storylines just fine, but they seem to be much more open to more seasons than Japanese animations. Also, there is enough material for Frontier to continue at least one more season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
They can top that rather easily.
Sure, but that would really push the budget into the stratosphere. I am already totally satisfied with what we get.
Old 2008-08-07, 10:28   Link #1157
daimonth
Kohaku Law Firm

http://org83.zorpia.com/0/4591/29386327.01a673.jpg

Now playing: Idolmaster Ranka(left) and Galatic Romance(right).. Wait they are the same piece?
Old 2008-08-07, 10:51   Link #1158
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonth View Post
http://org83.zorpia.com/0/4591/29386327.01a673.jpg

Now playing: Idolmaster Ranka(left) and Galatic Romance(right).. Wait they are the same piece?
There's so much epic win one the one page...
Old 2008-08-07, 10:58   Link #1159
Tsuchiro

Spoiler for animedia:
Old 2008-08-07, 11:04   Link #1160
Darial
Otaku in disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
There's so much epic win one the one page...
Yeah. That Sheryl + Alto pic is pure gold. That's what you call an adult affair. Now Ranka's pic on the other hand... it seems like she's now 10 instead of her usual 12.
Closed Thread

Tags
speculation, spoilers