AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-06-16, 08:58   Link #3181
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
We can start off with Jackass.
My point I hope at least regular and old posters here can understand the difference between "kids doing dumb shit" and "their kids only do dumb shit, while ours do not"
Old 2013-06-16, 09:35   Link #3182
Ridwan

I want my stereotypes be taken unquestionably.
Old 2013-06-16, 09:46   Link #3183
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Stereotypes... my nemesis

Now, seriously... Japanese are not weirder then, Chinese, Koreans, Germans, English, Americans, Brazilians, etc... they all do stuff that when taken out of context seem weird, but make all the sense in the world when one knows what led to them.
Old 2013-06-17, 12:01   Link #3184
Ridwan

Hey, at least your people have stereotypes. We don't, and therefore we don't exist !

EDIT : http://likes.com/weird/why-are-kids-..._term=25249730

Last edited by Ridwan; 2013-06-17 at 12:45.
Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 12:32   Link #3185
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

The Ainu chieftain who took on the shoguns
Quote:
PAST IMPERFECT: THE SMITHSONIAN.COM

June 20, 2013

IT WAS not until the 1660s that Japan asserted its dominance over Hokkaido, and when it did it was as a result of one of the most self-evidently doomed rebellions known to history.

Shakushain’s revolt, they called it, after the octogenarian Ainu chief who led it, pitting 30,000 or so ill-organised tribesmen against a nation of 25 million, and stone-age military technology against the modern firearms of Japan.

He lost, of course; just one Japanese soldier died fighting the rebels, and Shakushain himself was ruthlessly assassinated as soon as a peace treaty was signed.

But while the Ainu suffered in the short term — enduring an influx of Japanese onto their island, and ever harsher terms of trade — it no longer seems quite so clear who the real victors were in the long run.

Today, Shakushain has become an inspiration to new generations of Ainu nationalists.

Feudal realities
Japan's feudal system helped to shape the course of Shakushain's revolt. Matsumae was the smallest and the weakest of all Japan’s lordships. It could muster only 80 samurai and, uniquely among all the daimyo, lived by trade rather than agriculture.

Matsumae imported the rice it needed from the south and the Ainu were, thus, vital to its survival; the trade in hawks alone — sold on to other daimyo further to the south — accounted for half the clan’s annual revenues.

It was the urgent need to make money that led Matsumae to carve out an enclave north of the Tsugaru Strait, which was ruled from Fukuyama Castle.

The creation of this small sliver of Japan in Hokkaido was, in turn, the proximate cause of the Ainu rebellion, and had Shakushain confronted only Matsumae, it is possible that his people might have triumphed by sheer weight of numbers.

As it was, however, the shogunate was unwilling to tolerate the possibility of military defeat. Two neighbouring daimyo were ordered to go the Matsumae’s aid, and it is thanks to the records kept by one of them that we have a tolerably independent account of what transpired on Hokkaido in the 1660s...

CONTINUED HERE
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 16:13   Link #3186
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

His pirate-like raids on trade vessels and killing hundreds of citizens aboard probably didn't sit well with his foes either.
Revolt was justified, but his crude, primitive methods attributed to his end.
Old 2013-06-29, 19:37   Link #3187
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
His pirate-like raids on trade vessels and killing hundreds of citizens aboard probably didn't sit well with his foes either. Revolt was justified, but his crude, primitive methods attributed to his end.
The article does make reference to the raids:
Quote:
...What set Shakushain apart from other Ainu rebels is what he did with the force he had assembled. Ainu resistance hitherto had been almost entirely defensive; the odd arrogant merchant might be ambushed and killed, but the Ainu seem to have recognised the likely futility of launching an all-out attack on the Japanese.

In June 1669, however, Shakushain decided to ignore the lessons of history. He ordered an attack on all the isolated mining camps, Matsumae trading forts and Japanese merchant ships in Hokkaido. And it says much for the Ainu’s improving organisation, and his own standing as a leader, that the result was a well-coordinated assault that rained down destruction all along Hokkaido's coasts.

More than 270 Japanese died in the attacks, and 19 merchant ships were destroyed. Half the coast was devastated, and only about 20 of the Japanese living outside Matsumae’s enclave on Hokkaido survived the massacres. Once word got out, officials at Fukuyama Castle were faced with general panic among the merchants and civilians living in the enclave...
Of course, it's fairly apparent that the piece is skewed towards the Ainu. Presumably, it's because the author wanted Americans to be drawn towards the many similarities between the Ainu and the Native Americans. Both faced dismal historical and socio-economic fates once they were confronted by stronger rival ethnic groups that coveted their resources.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 07:16   Link #3188
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Japanese culture for you:

Every single damn thing must be animated!
Spoiler for .:

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 21:54   Link #3189
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
That is pretty lulzy of Japan, the animate anything even animation itself.
Old 2013-07-01, 02:05   Link #3190
AnimeFan188

40% of Young Japanese: “Marriage Is Worthless!”:

"Japan’s younger generations increasingly fail to see the point of marriage at all,
with a survey of 37,000 revealing some 40% feel the institution “has no merit.”

A survey of 37,610 Japanese asking the question “Do you agree with the
sentiment that ‘I don’t understand the merits of marriage’?” found some distinctly
negative attitudes to the merits of marriage in abundance.

Of the total, 33.5% agreed that the merits of wedlock were hard to fathom, still
leaving a respectable majority of 66.5% of the opinion the institution has some
merit.

However, broken down by age, the younger generations were drastically less
likely to see the point of marriage, and the most enthusiastic support seems to
come from geriatrics:"

See:

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2013/0...-is-worthless/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 02:38   Link #3191
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

What...I don't see it either....
Old 2013-07-01, 02:52   Link #3192
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Source... Sankaku Complex...

=_=;
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 08:17   Link #3193
walkofshane

This just goes to show how values in Japan are changing in the generations. The attitudes towards marriage, having children, abortion, etc are extremely different than those that went before them.
walkofshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 08:24   Link #3194
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkofshane View Post
This just goes to show how values in Japan are changing in the generations. The attitudes towards marriage, having children, abortion, etc are extremely different than those that went before them.
It's not just in Japan, but every country that emerges from isolation, political conservatism and religious fundamentalism, due to decades of economic prosperity is bound to ideologically realign with individualistic ideals, which is of course good for each person during his lifetime, but grim for the society in the long-term
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 08:34   Link #3195
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

.... is there a reason why Sankaku Complex neglects to link or reference its source for their articles?

The source is this.
http://shunkan-news.com/archives/7556

The context of this is, at an event held in Okubo Tokyo "Naked Loft" for "Young unattractive men who hates marriage, and want to speak out" the panel hosts urged the unattractive, single men in the audiences how marriage is pointless, and that they are single by choice.

Then in response to that, a news site for young females, Girls SPA!, asked their web audiences (mostly female obviously) what they think about this, and held a poll on agree/disagree.

So yeah.

It's totally not a skewed, biased poll or anything.

This is exactly why Sankuaku Complex has ZERO merit on their tabloid bullshit.
The fact they neglect to source where their claims even come from, and in what context they were held.

Seriously, they're worse than freakin Enquirer. My general distaste you may hear me express about them are not unfounded.
I'm not a journalist, but if I were, I'd spit in the general direction of their office.

Last edited by aohige; 2013-07-01 at 09:01. Reason: grammanazi
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 08:42   Link #3196
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Hence why the moment I see the source he posted as Sankaku the only appropriate response is this face =_=;

Guys, please don't use that place for anything other than your fap materials...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 10:30   Link #3197
GDB

Quote:
.... is there a reason why Sankaku Complex neglects to link or reference its source for their articles?
Because if they posted the source, they wouldn't be able to BS their spin.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 10:32   Link #3198
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:

The source is this.
http://shunkan-news.com/archives/7556

The context of this is, at an event held in Okubo Tokyo "Naked Loft" for "Young unattractive men who hates marriage, and want to speak out" the panel hosts urged the unattractive, single men in the audiences how marriage is pointless, and that they are single by choice.
Isn't that obvious?

*goes look in the mirror*

*hangs himself*

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 10:55   Link #3199
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
I'm not a journalist, but if I were, I'd spit in the general direction of their office.
Spit anyway. I get better news from horoscopes.

But, in a way I don't mind Sankaku. I never treat it as a serious news source, but as entertainment. Just like tabloids. Unfortunately there's a lot of media, internet and elsewhere, that passes itself off as news and information while being anything but. And sadly, too many people who actually believe it.
Old 2013-07-01, 11:11   Link #3200
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Spit anyway. I get better news from horoscopes.

But, in a way I don't mind Sankaku. I never treat it as a serious news source, but as entertainment. Just like tabloids. Unfortunately there's a lot of media, internet and elsewhere, that passes itself off as news and information while being anything but. And sadly, too many people who actually believe it.
Sankaku is a fantastic comparison to regular news in East Asia. If you see the news in the area, especially financial or political, being written in a Sankaku-like way, you know it is the part of the year when the senior journalists are all on holiday and the junior ones are just copypasta to sell pieces.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture