AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-03-25, 03:13   Link #3161
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
She is a qualified lawyer and she speaks fluent English. She has years of experience working in international contract law.

But Nobuko no longer works in a big international law firm. In fact she hardly does any lawyering at all these days.
Ouch, I think this is a case where choice of industry exacerbates the problem. I remember once having a woman who worked at a local law firm tell me that once of the great things about the firm where she worked is that she only averaged 55 hours a week at work and had time to spend with her kids. With a straight face and no hint of irony. Needless to say, attrition among woman lawyers is an issue in Canada as well.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 09:17   Link #3162
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Ouch, I think this is a case where choice of industry exacerbates the problem. I remember once having a woman who worked at a local law firm tell me that once of the great things about the firm where she worked is that she only averaged 55 hours a week at work and had time to spend with her kids. With a straight face and no hint of irony. Needless to say, attrition among woman lawyers is an issue in Canada as well.
You are aware that corporate lawyers (solicitors) work ~70-100 hours a week right? The juniors work closer to the higher end of the range and senior lawyers work slightly less, but they have more travel time and off-peak work hour requirements based on deal structuring and international court filing deadlines.

55 hours a week sounds like she works for a local firm and just manages her billings ..
Old 2013-03-25, 11:28   Link #3163
Shyni

Wait, 100 hours a week would mean that they spend almost their entire waking time working, even on weekends. I mean, 100 divided by 7 is about 14.3. If you don't count weekends, that's already 20 hours per day.

Do lawyers seriously have that big a work schedule?
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 11:31   Link #3164
Sumeragi
Banned

You could be like me and "work" around 18 hours a day (time on Animesuki at the office counted).
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-25, 11:39   Link #3165
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
Wait, 100 hours a week would mean that they spend almost their entire waking time working, even on weekends. I mean, 100 divided by 7 is about 14.3. If you don't count weekends, that's already 20 hours per day.

Do lawyers seriously have that big a work schedule?
Yes. Lawyers get paid based upon "billable" hours. My friend can spend 15 minutes answering an email but spend 30 minutes browsing for furniture and bill for an hour. Conversely, depending on some of the work, he can only bill an hour for 3 hours worth of work. (It usually goes the other way)

The concept of "weekend" for many white collar professionals is a misnomer. You work whenever work is required to be done. Weekends. Evenings. Holidays. Vacations. That said, the time is somewhat fungible, I leave work to get a haircut sometimes. I don't have a "lunch break" or "coffee breaks" I take them whenever I want and whenever I have time. I'm an IBanker but I definitely work/ed "lawyer hours" (more than that when I was more junior, less as I get more senior, more when it's busy, less when it's not)
Old 2013-03-26, 07:22   Link #3166
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Japanese firm's English-only rule left managers tongue-tied

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 14:03   Link #3167
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
You are aware that corporate lawyers (solicitors) work ~70-100 hours a week right? The juniors work closer to the higher end of the range and senior lawyers work slightly less, but they have more travel time and off-peak work hour requirements based on deal structuring and international court filing deadlines.

55 hours a week sounds like she works for a local firm and just manages her billings ..
I am aware of why she said it with a straight face and no hint of irony. I'd personally class her firm as a mid-size/regional, not sure if she manages her own billings or not.

Anyway, I just found the choice of who to interview for the article interesting because while the article does mention some Japanese cultural things that make her situation worse, she'd face the same problem of working hours anywhere she practiced in that industry.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 20:29   Link #3168
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
You could be like me and "work" around 18 hours a day (time on Animesuki at the office counted).
I work in commercial real estate/investment/redevelopment and longest I've had is 12-13 hours. What the hell are you doing, and does your income justify that?

I think the Japanese work ethic is great, but yeah, it's not necessarily uncommon for professionals in other parts of the western world to be working just as long as them. I just think it's more institutional there that you're expected to work longer hours. I also don't think you should be working long hours unless you need to to support your family or you're earning enough to explain your dedication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Very interesting. I'd assume that this takes some degree of hierarchy away from language and that would make some upper level employees uncomfortable.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 23:15   Link #3169
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I work in commercial real estate/investment/redevelopment and longest I've had is 12-13 hours. What the hell are you doing, and does your income justify that?
I suppose a post-tax salary of $3,000 + $20,000 a month company credit card + seat on the board of directors + incentives would be enough.
Old 2013-03-29, 00:01   Link #3170
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
I suppose a post-tax salary of $3,000 + $20,000 a month company credit card + seat on the board of directors + incentives would be enough.
Screw him, hold out for more! /Zoolander

Old 2013-03-29, 00:16   Link #3171
Sumeragi
Banned

The thing is, I don't want to pay more taxes than I have to. Plus, earning more would probably make me greedier
Old 2013-03-29, 01:00   Link #3172
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

post-tax salary of only 3 grand??

Being a board member, I'd figure they'd pay you heck of a lot more than that.
The credit card with such a high ceiling is awesome though!
Old 2013-03-29, 01:07   Link #3173
willx
Nyaaan~~

Ehh .. employment income is overrated. See this for example: http://www.taxtips.ca/taxrates/bc.htm

Combined marginal income tax rate for employment income greater than $135,054 is taxed at 43.70%
Old 2013-03-29, 01:33   Link #3174
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
post-tax salary of only 3 grand??

Being a board member, I'd figure they'd pay you heck of a lot more than that.
The credit card with such a high ceiling is awesome though!
Salary is from just my regular job. My compensation as board member is mainly reimbursements for expenses, so it isn't that bad. I use the company credit card mostly for dining and entertaining clients.
Old 2013-03-29, 08:29   Link #3175
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
The thing is, I don't want to pay more taxes than I have to. Plus, earning more would probably make me greedier
How much will you pay me if I sell myself to you in servitude?

Non-indentured of course.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-06-15, 18:48   Link #3176
AnimeFan188

Experts Warn Eyeball Licking Trend Can Injure the Eye, Damage Sight:

"A new trend among Japanese teenagers called oculolinctus, also known as "eyeball
licking," or "worming," is currently sweeping across the internet in videos and
photos."

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/experts-warn-e...190950846.html
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 21:17   Link #3177
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post

"A new trend among Japanese teenagers called oculolinctus, also known as "eyeball
photos."

See:

This reinforces the Western perception that the Japanese must be weird than anyone else.
Old 2013-06-16, 01:45   Link #3178
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post

photos."

See:

One day, some Japanese is going to invent Doctor Ock like arms that have rubber tips and market it as a sex toy.

Old 2013-06-16, 08:20   Link #3179
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
This reinforces the Western perception that the Japanese must be weird than anyone else.
Should we start recounting how many dumb and dangerous fads have spread among western kids or will it be off-topic and/or inappropriate behavior
Old 2013-06-16, 08:23   Link #3180
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
Should we start recounting how many dumb and dangerous fads have spread among western kids or will it be off-topic and/or inappropriate behavior
We can start off with Jackass.

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture