AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-07-11, 16:04   Link #361
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

Send a message via AIM to Mr VacBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Software Update
QuickTime 7.2 addresses critical security issues and delivers:
- Support for full screen viewing in QuickTime Player
I guess that solves that.
Old 2007-07-11, 18:02   Link #362
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Ah, so it does. 7.2 was already in Leopard, so I just assumed that it was Leopard-only. Clearly that's not the case. So go forth and download ye QuickTime update! Fullscreen for everyone! Huzzah!
Old 2007-07-12, 06:53   Link #363
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by killmoms View Post
Ah, so it does. 7.2 was already in Leopard, so I just assumed that it was Leopard-only. Clearly that's not the case. So go forth and download ye QuickTime update! Fullscreen for everyone! Huzzah!
Just one word of warning - there's a glitch with the 7.2 update which seems to stop Rosetta functioning properly, so most (if not all) legacy PowerPC applications won't work any more on Intel-based Macs...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....39074&tstart=0

It might be safer to hold off for a while until they sort that
Old 2007-07-12, 11:48   Link #364
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Wow. Weird.

Good thing I don't run any Rosetta apps ever. XD Still haven't installed Office.
Old 2007-07-14, 22:30   Link #365
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheleos View Post
Next problem, seems just has problems wit certain mkv files xX;;
but, other mkv open well but i CANT change subs, i cant even load them in some, and in those where i can load it i dont see the japanese kanji and co in the intros *just does nasty squares*

next edit
i keep hitting v and b but its completly random if it shows subs or not

and it has problems wit everything that is *.avi ;___;
I don't have support for Japanese fonts either. I think this was addressed, that we need to install some extra fonts for mplayer to see them, but I never tried it.

I can play almost everything: if this special build of mplayer can't play it (usually avi's, and certain mkvs) then I swich to the build on the mplayer website, and disable the special parameters. It's weird that they both can play what the other can't. For other files, I load up Parallels and view it with my Windows players. No problem there, except that I'm using version 2 of Parallels - no video card support, so the video looks kind of crappy. Still debating over whether to buy the upgrade, or switch over to VMWare...
Old 2007-07-15, 14:17   Link #366
Nonezumi

Dunno if a few people with Intel Macs using the current MPlayer build on the front page want to try this update out for me:

Spoiler for Intel Users only!:

Let me know how you get on!
Old 2007-07-15, 17:16   Link #367
kheleos

erm thx for the help .. just ...

i dont have the opt dictionary .. where should it be created if i dont have it?
Old 2007-07-15, 18:09   Link #368
Nonezumi

It should be created in the root of your hard drive. You don't have to install the fonts part, but it may sort out a few more issues. If you aren't confident, don't install it for the time being. Once it's verified OK, I'll arrange a package install of it.
Old 2007-07-15, 18:29   Link #369
taelrak

Well, it'll open just about any file now, including avi and other files that it seemed to crash with before and even "bad" files..and I like how you can see the toggle for subs on or off.

Only problem is that i can't see any subtitles at all - even when it says "enabled"

I wonder if I forgot to do something...were we supposed to do anything besides move the font folder into that directory and add those parameters?
Old 2007-07-15, 18:37   Link #370
Nonezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by taelrak View Post
Well, it'll open just about any file now, including avi and other files that it seemed to crash with before and even "bad" files..and I like how you can see the toggle for subs on or off.

Only problem is that i can't see any subtitles at all - even when it says "enabled"

I wonder if I forgot to do something...were we supposed to do anything besides move the font folder into that directory and add those parameters?
Nope. Just try 'j' on the keyboard to go through the different subtitles.

That's probably the bit you're missing

Last edited by Nonezumi; 2007-07-16 at 20:27.
Old 2007-07-15, 18:45   Link #371
taelrak

thanks! It works! It was "j", I kept hitting B lol.

First thing I noticed was that it's MUCH faster - I could run a 1080p 4GB video almost instantly and my system wasn't stressed anywhere near what it was before. Much faster than VLC and QT as well

One of the files I had (the odd one that wouldn't work with either QT, the last version of mplayer, or niceplayer or anything else except vlc), has the subtitles all the way in the lower left corner instead of the center - but I assume that's something wrong with the file.

BTW, is there a way to change audio tracks?
Old 2007-07-15, 19:06   Link #372
Nonezumi

Quote:
thanks! It works! It was "j", I kept hitting B lol.

First thing I noticed was that it's MUCH faster - I could run a 1080p 4GB video almost instantly and my system wasn't stressed anywhere near what it was before. Much faster than VLC and QT as well

One of the files I had (the odd one that wouldn't work with either QT, the last version of mplayer, or niceplayer or anything else except vlc), has the subtitles all the way in the lower left corner instead of the center - but I assume that's something wrong with the file.

BTW, is there a way to change audio tracks?
Hrm... I'll have to recompile it at some point. It seems at some CVS build before I started compiling Mplayer they stopped using 'b' as a subtitle key, which was annoying given this thread mentions that key all the way through. I just got used to using 'j' which is what I'd been using anyway. I altered the source to include the use of 'b' but must have neglected it on this build.

The subtitles probably _are_ a dodgy file.

I believe that # cycles through the audio tracks. (And if you can't find the # key on your keyboard, you're probably using a non-US layout, and it may well be mapped to Alt-3)
Old 2007-07-15, 19:14   Link #373
taelrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonezumi View Post
Hrm... I'll have to recompile it at some point. It seems at some CVS build before I started compiling Mplayer they stopped using 'b' as a subtitle key, which was annoying given this thread mentions that key all the way through. I just got used to using 'j' which is what I'd been using anyway. I altered the source to include the use of 'b' but must have neglected it on this build.

The subtitles probably _are_ a dodgy file.

I believe that # cycles through the audio tracks. (And if you can't find the # key on your keyboard, you're probably using a non-US layout, and it may well be mapped to Alt-3)
Thanks!

One more feature request! - is there a way to get it to work with Apple remote?

EDIT: Shift-t, the shortcut to keep the mplayer window on top, isn't working. Even if it says 'enabled', it still gets hidden by other windows.

Last edited by taelrak; 2007-07-15 at 21:55.
Old 2007-07-16, 00:41   Link #374
Idgit

Just with testing a few files it seems as if this update has addressed the issues i was having. The few mkv files that werent playing properly are now playing fine, and I dont have to change the parameters in order to get avi files playing. I first tried it without the fonts folder but that didnt work so i had to create an /opt/local/etc/ folder, but after i installed the fonts everything started working fine. Thanks again for all your effort Nonezumi, its much appreciated.
Old 2007-07-16, 05:05   Link #375
Nonezumi

Quote:
Thanks!

One more feature request! - is there a way to get it to work with Apple remote?

EDIT: Shift-t, the shortcut to keep the mplayer window on top, isn't working. Even if it says 'enabled', it still gets hidden by other windows.
Both of these questions are more suited to the team who produce the front-end rather than the compilation of the MPlayer Engine, which is the bit I've been compiling on your behalf. The Front-end is still rather lacking, but I do not have enough experience with XCode projects and Objective C to be able to tweak it yet!

The front-end does not support the Apple Remote at all, but I'd assume it's not something that will be ruled out. But given how old the project is....

The "Keep MPlayer on top" function doesn't seem to work with the MPlayer Video Out Module. I know it works with the CoreVideo (BETA) module, which you can set under Preferences. Again, this is a glitch with the design of the MPlayer OS X front-end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idgit View Post
Just with testing a few files it seems as if this update has addressed the issues i was having. The few mkv files that werent playing properly are now playing fine, and I dont have to change the parameters in order to get avi files playing. I first tried it without the fonts folder but that didnt work so i had to create an /opt/local/etc/ folder, but after i installed the fonts everything started working fine. Thanks again for all your effort Nonezumi, its much appreciated.
Glad it's going OK - when Andiyar's a little less busy, I'll see if we can get a proper package installer working.

Out of interest, has anyone with a PPC-based Mac been brave enough to try the /opt/local/etc/fonts stage out at all?
Old 2007-07-16, 17:10   Link #376
taelrak

Quote:
The "Keep MPlayer on top" function doesn't seem to work with the MPlayer Video Out Module. I know it works with the CoreVideo (BETA) module, which you can set under Preferences. Again, this is a glitch with the design of the MPlayer OS X front-end.
That works. Besides the interface differences (such as the Quartz/QT module not working at all, the CoreVideo splitting the control bar and the video window, etc.), what are the other differences between the video output modules?
Old 2007-07-16, 20:22   Link #377
Nonezumi

Quote:
That works. Besides the interface differences (such as the Quartz/QT module not working at all, the CoreVideo splitting the control bar and the video window, etc.), what are the other differences between the video output modules?
All three Video Modules are designed as ways of outputting Video to Mac Displays;

MPlayer OSX is the default choice

As for the other two;

Core Video
Quartz/QT

The Quartz/QT module doesn't work for me either, but then I have to admit I've hardly used it, and cannot see the point given the other two work very well.

The MPlayer module does keep the controls with the video, but given I tend to use my Mac with my television (2nd display), it doesn't work very well. Because the CoreVideo module keeps the Video section in an independant window, the controls to force to secondary display and making full-screen work very well for me, whereas the MPlayer module makes me drag the video window to the secondary display before I can fullscreen. However, the Corevideo driver consequently has issues as to whether your commands are supposed to be accepted by MPlayer itself or the front-end.

It just comes down to what you like using best, and I happen to prefer the CoreVideo driver, even with its misgivings.
Old 2007-07-17, 01:58   Link #378
Mr VacBob
yotsuba channel

Send a message via AIM to Mr VacBob
The naming for CV vs. Quartz is pretty much a misnomer. Both of them just call the same OpenGL stuff; mplayer just about doesn't use the actually different parts.

It's the CV driver that's better, not CV.

Also, if you update again quartz should work, for the times CV crashes on stuff.
Old 2007-07-17, 06:58   Link #379
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
Personally, I find that the CV/QT modules are far more processor intensive than the default MPlayer one - this is on a PPC G4, mind you. So I lean in that direction, simply because it's smoother and faster.

-Andiyar
Old 2007-07-17, 18:58   Link #380
BOZZY

Nonezumi, I'll give the stuff you uploaded earlier a try as soon in a bit... The Apple Remote, I think, works with mplayer via a piece of software called Mira (I know without a doubt that Mira works with VLC and Quicktime).

Tags
fansubs, mac, wiki candidate