Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-16, 02:51   Link #1
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Manga similar to Historie

I know it's been said that the Suggestions forum is the garbage dump of the forums, but I hope my request is unique enough for the manga masters to pay attention to.

Anyway, I just caught up with the manga series Historie recently, and was utterly impressed, and is looking for more of the same, or similar, or not so similar but recommended anyway since [please explain why]. I'm a hungry creature and is trying to devour every good manga in sight, but that's probably a little too big of a framework to ask for suggestions from.

(Some of) What I like about Historie:

- It felt really authentic. Virtually all of the characters showed that their values are framed according to what we know of their culture back in the day. It is amazing to see Greeks act as Greeks, even (especially) the bad side of the Greeks that one has to read between the lines of their writings to know. I think this is one of the best marks of good historical fiction.

- Of course, that the main character is more anachronistic than most (but still highly believable) is not a negative. He's supposed to intrigue everyone around him after all.

- The art was great. It felt detailed, clean. And occasionally (though not as often as, say, Berserk) very breathtaking. Those gigantic shots that encompass big areas really show the manga-ka at his/her best.

- The brutality of the era is portrayed in a frank manner. Somehow it hit me well: not in melodrama, but in a deeper way.

- Soldiers. Battles. War. You don't get to see enough of that stuff in manga.

- The plot was awesome.

What I'd like to see more of (i.e. if a manga fits a few of these categories, that's probably what I want):

# Historical fiction. Of course if something's not historical but you feel like I'll like it anyway then that's not a problem.

# Authentic feel. Focus on the feel, I'm not one of those historians who get angry at every little factual inaccuracy. Mind you, I'm also one of those people who think the movie "Troy" is trash and so is "Braveheart" and "Gladiator." On the other hand, stuff like "Rome" hits me so hard I cried out Etruscan tears.

# Soldiers. Battles. War. I want to see more of that stuff in manga.

# It doesn't have to be manga. It just have to be accessible in North America and/or the Internet somehow. I vaguely remembered some Chinese or something comic about Cao Cao that felt very similar to Historie. Needless to say it was my favorite...and I no longer remember the title, the length, or what it was. If anyone knows then I'll give you a cookie and a kiss, both optional.

# And finally, if a manga doesn't fit any of these categories, in a completely different genre or whatever, but you like it so much that you think I'm missing out by, well, missing it, be aware that I'd love to hear your opinion anyway.

And just so that the final category won't clutter up the thread or my original intention, this is a list of some of what I've read and short comments:

Spoiler for Some 'representative' manga's I've read:
Old 2008-02-16, 02:57   Link #2
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

The only one that immediately come to mind is Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I can't think of any others at the moment.
Old 2008-02-16, 03:00   Link #3
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Well I don't have a manga for you, but a novel. Seirei no Moribito (Guardian of the Sacred Spirit) is fictional historical, but it feels like a story. I got the same vibes off Lord of the Rings for Seirei no Moribito.
Old 2008-02-16, 03:18   Link #4
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Thanks for the recommendations! It's a start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
The only one that immediately come to mind is Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I can't think of any others at the moment.
Do you have a link? Say, ANN or mangaupdates link. There's such a large volume of literature/comics/etc. that use that name that I'm not sure which one is your suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare
Well I don't have a manga for you, but a novel. Seirei no Moribito (Guardian of the Sacred Spirit) is fictional historical, but it feels like a story. I got the same vibes off Lord of the Rings for Seirei no Moribito.
Is it translated into English?
Old 2008-02-16, 03:20   Link #5
Crystal_Method
I want dreads...
*Artist

Kiseijuu
Vinland Saga
Eden
Dangu
Threads of Time
The Ravages of Time
Shin Angyo Onshi
Sidooh

Side note: Kiseijuu is made by the same manga-ka as Historie.
Old 2008-02-16, 03:42   Link #6
jedinat

I was also very impressed by Historie. Do check out Kiseijuu as Crystal_Method suggests.

So you've read Sexy Voice And Robo; did you read Japan Tengu Party Illustrated by the same mangaka? It's interesting... you may like it; I was really intrigued at first, though I sort of lost interest a ways into it.

You might possibly enjoy Crying Freeman; lots of casual blood and nudity. A good manga; I especially liked the first volume.

Try Mysterious Girlfriend X for a very strange and interesting high school romance.
Old 2008-02-16, 04:00   Link #7
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Crystal_Method: You're awesome! That's a nice list; from the descriptions I'm particularly interested in Vinland Saga and Kiseijuu, though I'll check out all of them in time.

I'm not much of a horror fan though so it remains to be seen if the manga-ka's other work is as appealing to me as Historie is.

jedinat: I've read Sexy Voice and a few one-shots from Kuroda, and they're always interesting even if some of them are not as impressive as Sexy Voice, but not Tengu Party yet. I'll definitely check it out.
Old 2008-02-17, 01:43   Link #8
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Is it translated into English?
Definitely.

# ISBN-10: 0545005426
# ISBN-13: 978-0545005425
Old 2008-02-17, 05:17   Link #9
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Definitely.

# ISBN-10: 0545005426
# ISBN-13: 978-0545005425
Awesome; thanks! I loved the anime but didn't know that the novel has been licensed. This is great news.
Old 2009-01-05, 14:40   Link #10
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

it has been since may since vol4 was release. Anyone knows if vol5 has been rls? I will raw or any language.
Old 2009-01-06, 07:38   Link #11
MuraKami
Phase Angle

No Lone Wolf and Cub? This one bares the title of a life-time manga for a reason.

Seconds for The Vinland Saga and The Ravages of Time for the authentic feel. Great depiction of battles of various scale, fleshy and remarkable characters.
Old 2009-01-06, 16:33   Link #12
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

^The thread is almost a year old (I'm getting nostalgic here -- a thread I've made! XD), Xellos-_^ just revived it to ask a question. But thanks all the same: I forgot completely about Lone Wolf and Cub, should really try it some time. As for Vinland Saga and The Ravages of Time, I've long since become a devoted fan of both thanks to, in fact, this very thread.
Closed Thread