Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2018-10-29, 20:10   Link #21
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
As Sheba said, you got the wrong guy.
I guess I indeed got the wrong guy. I remember that fiscally-conservative guy was from Austraiia. We also had an equally insane liberal who was also another Ozzie. Aside from OH&S I suppose a typical Aussie resident in ASuki is insane to the membrane.

You can't be all that bad for a conservative opinion considering you like ONE PUNCH!!! Btw, how high is your lactose tolerance level? Please don't say, "high."

To get back on topic.....

Trump to Skip House Races to Focus on Senate in Final Election Push.

Is the above further indication to Dems got the house in the bag and that they might be even at the cusp of swinging the senate to their side despite those huuuuuuuuge odds?
Old 2018-10-29, 20:42   Link #22
Key Board
Carbon

Let's not pretend there's isn't a correlation between Trump's rhetoric and attacks against the press

Spoiler:

Edit: What happens now? I predict escalation. I'm sorry for Michelle Obama, but not everyone is going to "go high if they go low"

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell

Last edited by Key Board; 2018-10-29 at 21:19.
Old 2018-10-29, 23:40   Link #23
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
To get back on topic.....

Trump to Skip House Races to Focus on Senate in Final Election Push.

Is the above further indication to Dems got the house in the bag and that they might be even at the cusp of swinging the senate to their side despite those huuuuuuuuge odds?
The House is a sure bet. The Senate might be in danger for the GOP if the early turnout numbers are any indication. Despite some early concerns about voting problems I would suggest everyone should vote as early as possible because those lines are going to be looooong.
Old 2018-10-30, 01:20   Link #24
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Whoops, I forgot for a moment that the politics section on this forum has pretty much become an echo-chamber for over a year now. I have no interest to argue alone against 10 people, so I'll leave it with that. I mean it's not like anyone here is at fault, it's just that any center with slightly right leanings up to full on right positions have either quit the politics section here, or stopped being active on this forum alltogether.
Since your definition of an echo chamber is the left pointing out the incompetence of the Trump administration and the right finding it harder and harder to come to its defense, yeah can't really argue with that.

When we have a president who lies on a daily basis, doesn't understand the topics he should be dealing with, surrounding himself with warmongers, extremists, incompetent ministers or incompetent family, yes-men, leading a party that completely caters to the interests of Trump/profit/power and supporters who see all these things and don't care about it because the politicians support the one issue that they're really mad about, apparently it's still coming as a surprise to some that not everyone is going to take this BS and nod their head to it.

Shoot I steered offtopic a bit. I won't do it again, we're all similar thinking friends here who support each other.
Old 2018-10-30, 07:22   Link #25
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I'd rather take THIS "echo chamber" over the toxic cesspool that was here, 1 or more year ago.
Old 2018-10-30, 07:42   Link #26
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
The GOP must be so relieved to know that the caravan will arrive at the US border right around Nov 6th. After all, nothing is more energizing to the right than a good dose of fear.
Laws are laws though. Crossing international borders has been a serious deal in the past, present, and likely the near future, and there are legal ways and places for people to enter into any country. There are, and have pretty much always been, limits to how many new people a nation will bring in from other countries per year legally. The rest they send back or place in isolation until such time as they can come in legally or the government can find a place to send them (if their country of origin is unsafe, or not a viable place the country doing the sending can send them back too due to lack of methods of transport or legal issues).

This isn't limited to the United States either. Its an issue with most countries, just some handle it differently (usually much stricter than anything the American have been doing from my understanding).
Old 2018-10-30, 09:06   Link #27
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
The GOP must be so relieved to know that the caravan will arrive at the US border right around Nov 6th. After all, nothing is more energizing to the right than a good dose of fear.
Actually they won't be here any time before the election. The oh-so-dangerous caravan is still hundreds of miles away from the US border. Probably a week or two after election day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...gets-close-us/

The latest attempts to stir up fear concern the claims that the caravan is full of people with leprosy and smallpox. Probably they were drafted into service by those ISIS militants Trump says is infiltrating via the caravan.

Today we have the President claiming he will overturn "birthright citizenship," established in the Fourteenth Amendment to the US Constitution, with the stroke of a pen via an executive order. He told Axios "they" have told him he has the power to do that. "They" apparently do not include any constitutional law scholars.

Meanwhile, just a few days after the worst anti-Semitic event in American history, Mike Pence attends a rally for people attempting to convert Jews into Christians. "In case you didn’t know, Jews (who do not believe Jesus was the Messiah) consider so-called Messianic Jews to be an oxymoron. In calling themselves Jews and seeking to convert Jews, they deeply offend the vast majority of actual Jews. The faux-rabbi then prayed for a list of Republicans."

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2018-10-30 at 09:24.
Old 2018-10-30, 11:06   Link #28
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

Today we have the President claiming he will overturn "birthright citizenship," established in the Fourteenth Amendment to the US Constitution, with the stroke of a pen via an executive order. He told Axios "they" have told him he has the power to do that. "They" apparently do not include any constitutional law scholars.
Sheesh what's next? We going to try to take away Women's right to vote next? I wonder if he thinks that's going to be the stroke of a pen too.
Old 2018-10-30, 12:44   Link #29
MCAL

I'm old enough to remember when Conservatives criticized Obama for using Executive Orders. Of course this was MAINLY only after SEVEN years of Conservatives opposing every single thing he did no matter how much (Foolishly I must admit) Obama tried to compromise with them. But then since when have Conservatives ever cared abut context.
Old 2018-10-30, 12:45   Link #30
Key Board
Carbon

Revoking permanent residency is next
Green cards will have short expiration dates.
Everyone will be given a deadline to be naturalized or deported
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2018-10-30, 13:21   Link #31
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:

You aren't implying that that's an exclusive trait of the GOP, right? I mean is there even a single instance of Trump not being framed as an object of fear, as the "russian puppet president who will eventually sell the whole country to Russia" or the "guy with the loose finger on the nuclear button that will unleash armageddon on the world someday"? Various other scenarios of Trump one day supposdly waking up and deciding to randomly overthrow the state in favor of dictatorship are also presented constantly.

IMO just the complete misuse of "fascist" without including any examples of power centralisation is already far too much.

Mid-terms in many areas are often the same "fear-of-Trump" messages, just with a "...if Republicans keep the house" attached to it.

Now to be fair, the up-side for Democrats in comparison to 2016 is that their candidates simply aren't Hillary Clinton, but also that at least a part of them actually has their own message instead of re-parrotting the overused phrases like "I am not my opponent, who is a Republican and will help fascist Trump do fascisty things", so I am not sure what the outcome is going to be. The current common prediction is that the GOP expands Senate again to more comfortable lead, while they'll narrowly lose control of the house to the Democrats, but it's fairly close, so who knows.

In turn Republicans profit from the fact that it's a mass election. Democrats' cooperation with the majority of the Mainstream Media allow them to do easy individual character assassination, but it gets difficult to make it believable if during this election 4 or more women all of a sudden "remember" a previously unknown rape attempt from 30+ years ago, so the Republicans will probably be mostly safe from that and other forms of single-target character assassinations.
It is simple, the Trump train is fueled exclusively on xenophobia; specifically anti-immigrant xenophobia. They believe it is important to energize the base now in order to drive them in mass to the polls.
The caravan is part of an elaborate plot to accomplish this goal. Yes, this is a conspiracy theory of mine that I believe has merit. For further reference please check my post on the Trump Tweets thread: https://forums.animesuki.com/showthr...50#post6289750
Old 2018-10-30, 13:26   Link #32
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
The House is a sure bet. The Senate might be in danger for the GOP if the early turnout numbers are any indication. Despite some early concerns about voting problems I would suggest everyone should vote as early as possible because those lines are going to be looooong.
Probably not safe to say that the House is "in the bag". A somewhat large polling error (larger than in 2016) in the GOP's favour would probably make the House a toss-up. Would probably take a similarly large polling error in the Democrats favour to make the Senate a toss-up.

Probably is safe to say that turnout is likely to be unusually high for a midterm though probably not safe to read much into the early voting numbers.

But yeah, if you care about the result then vote (if you can).
Old 2018-10-30, 22:49   Link #33
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
I'm old enough to remember when Conservatives criticized Obama for using Executive Orders.
Obama issued fewer Orders than George W. Bush or Ronald Reagan. All three served for two terms.

https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/stat...ecutive-orders
Old 2018-10-30, 23:16   Link #34
The Green One

Politicians have a very loose relationship with truth as we all know. As well as the I don't have to follow the rules I demand you follow.
Old 2018-10-31, 05:36   Link #35
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
"They" do realize that if they set the precedent that the President can remove an amendment via EO, the 2nd is gone as retaliation, right?
Old 2018-10-31, 08:38   Link #36
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It's only ok when a Republican does it. At least, that's what they said.
Old 2018-10-31, 11:37   Link #37
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's only ok when a Republican does it. At least, that's what they said.
Especially when you think that the GOP is basically the party that Newt Gingrich built for 3 decades.

While Bill Clinton was getting crucified for his sexual adventures with Monica Lewinsky, nobody bothered to crucify Gingrich for Gingrich having an affair with a staffer and then divorcing his wife while the latter was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. If you ask me who is the sickest unfaithful **** of the two at the time, I know where I stand.
Old 2018-10-31, 14:05   Link #38
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Politicians have a very loose relationship with truth as we all know. As well as the I don't have to follow the rules I demand you follow.
To be honest that general attitude is a contributing factor to how you get guys as bad as Trump into office. You exaggerate the fact that many politicians are occasionally to somewhat frequently disingenuous and self-serving, and that obfuscates the fact that guys like Trump are literal orders of magnitude worse.
Old 2018-10-31, 21:25   Link #39
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Sentiments are certainly high for Dems to take over house. The senate may be at 2020. Then again, Dems sure know how to blow-up a shoe in. Speaking of shoe-in:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/29/u...president.html

Why can't Hilary just go away? shoo shoo

She apparently might consider for another run depending on how the midterm plays out.
Old 2018-10-31, 22:44   Link #40
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Third times the charm? I guess? I dunno. She's in an odd position right now. Is she even stumping? She's not in the news for speeches like the other Dems are.