AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2018-08-04, 20:01   Link #1
AnimeFan188

Venezuela situation

I guess it was only a matter of time before someone used drones to attempt the
assassination of a head of state:

Venezuelan president Nicolás Maduro survives drone
assassination attempt:

"The Venezuelan president, Nicolás Maduro, has survived an apparent assassination
attempt involving drones that exploded close to him while he was speaking at an
event in Caracas.

State television showed Maduro abruptly cutting short his speech during a celebration
of the National Guard’s 81st anniversary.

The hundreds of soldiers present were shown breaking ranks and scattering.

The Venezuelan information minister, Jorge Rodríguez, said there had been an “attack”
against the president involving drones loaded with explosives.

Maduro was “fine” and continuing to work, he said. Rodríguez said seven National
Guard soldiers were injured in the apparent attack."

See:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ldiers-scatter
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-05, 22:07   Link #2
AnimeFan188

The Explosive-Carrying Drones in Venezuela Won't Be the Last:

"On Saturday, as Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro gave a speech in Caracas
before a large military assemblage, drones carrying explosives approached, officials
there said, detonating near the stage. While Maduro was unharmed, Venezuelan
information minister Jorge Rodriguez said that the attack injured seven soldiers. It's a
method of assault that only a few years ago felt unthinkable, but has quickly become
inevitable.

Details remain scarce about the exact nature of the attack, which Rodriguez
characterized as an “assassination attempt,” including what type of drones were used
and the nature of the explosives involved. In a televised address to his country,
Maduro appeared to attribute the strike to far-right factions in Venezuela and
Columbia. “They have tried to kill me today,” Maduro said.

As the hours passed, some reports disputed the drone attack narrative. The
Associated Press reported that three unnamed firefighters say it was actually an
apartment gas tank explosion. A military expert quoted in The Washington Post
posited that the government lost control of its own drone, and had to take it down.
But local witnesses later confirmed seeing a drone explode.

Not long after the attack, Venezuelan authorities arrested six suspects, according to
interior minister Nestor Reverol. Reverol also provided more details about the incident,
alleging that the suspects used two DJI M600 drones, each loaded down with 1
kilogram of C-4 explosive, capable of creating a blast radius of 50 meters. The DJI
M600 is generally considered a professional-grade drone, primarily for filmmakers and
photographers, but has a strong build, and can handle a relatively heavy payload.

"It's clear that increasingly capable and hard-to-stop drones will become a key
instrument of revolutionaries going forward," says Todd Humphreys, associate
professor at the University of Texas at Austin who has researched security issues
around unmanned aerial vehicles. "The technical challenge of defending a head of
state in a public venue against a small drone carrying explosives is much greater than
that of building one."

See:

https://www.wired.com/story/venezuel...maduro-threat/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-12, 02:57   Link #3
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Pompeo ordered the rest of US diplomatic personal to move out. Invasion imminent?
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-12, 05:03   Link #4
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Wouldn't be the first (or last) time a President did something like that to distract and potentially raise their popularity at home.
Old 2019-03-12, 11:27   Link #5
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

^ I don't know how any of this would reflect positively on this administration. There are presidential candidates that are openly against a war with Venezuela. On top of that, such an event would certainly destabilize the region; Colombia is already overwhelmed with refugees. Brazil, Peru and Ecuador are also seeing a massive influx of immigrants. You would also see a massive surge of Venezuelan refugees coming to the United Stated.
Old 2019-03-12, 20:20   Link #6
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Wouldn't be the first (or last) time a President did something like that to distract and potentially raise their popularity at home.
Well, that didn't save George H.W. Bush nor Bill Clinton's designated successor, Al Gore, from losing the election following a conflict that involves US armed forces.

The only hope is for the people at the Pentagon to stall any invasion plan for as long as possible. Unlike 1962 when it was JFK who stalled the military for enough time until a deal was reached, it's the military that must stall the President's plans now.

Last edited by Toukairin; 2019-03-12 at 20:42.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-12, 23:52   Link #7
Psyco Diver

This is the reason for a strong legislative, judicial and executive branches for a government, they voted in a dictator promising them everything under the sun but once he was there they can't get him out since he controls the whole government with no checks or balances in place. A co-worker's wife is from there and her family is suffering hard but they can't come here to the US because of the immigration BS. Honestly from everything I've been told going on inside the country they need to get him and his buddies out but any country that goes in is going for their own benefit first and Venezuela's benefit second. I hate to say that there is no easy path for the citizens there
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-13, 00:49   Link #8
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

^ You have to realize that the sanctions imposed on Venezuela by the US are one of the major driving factors for the fast deterioration of the country. Venezuela cannot profit from its oil, and much of its accounts have been frozen. Iran is also going through some very hard times due to sanctions as well. God, I am getting Libia flash backs... Oh lets not forget Syria...

Personally, I see the current US policy on Iran and Venezuela as an absolute disaster for the long term global stability. Those two countries are not a direct threat to US national security; but our willingness to meddle in other countries' affairs is unnerving. The major news channels did not cover the drone strikes and are "oddly" enough, in lock step with the Trump administration pro-intervention agenda.. I wonder why...
Old 2019-03-13, 01:14   Link #9
Psyco Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
^ You have to realize that the sanctions imposed on Venezuela by the US are one of the major driving factors for the fast deterioration of the country. Venezuela cannot profit from its oil, and much of its accounts have been frozen. Iran is also going through some very hard times due to sanctions as well. God, I am getting Libia flash backs... Oh lets not forget Syria...

Personally, I see the current US policy on Iran and Venezuela as an absolute disaster for the long term global stability. Those two countries are not a direct threat to US national security; but our willingness to meddle in other countries' affairs is unnerving. The major news channels did not cover the drone strikes and are "oddly" enough, in lock step with the Trump administration pro-intervention agenda.. I wonder why...
This actually started before that, when barrels got above $100 each they were doing great then tanked a couple months later that's when things got bad, Maduro then got worse and showed his true colors, then we made sanctions which made things even worse
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-13, 18:53   Link #10
Toukairin
Banned

As far as sanctions are concerned, I don't think Russia nor China would give a flying feck about them since those were not enforced by the UN. Are they not supposed to be huge buyers of Venezuelan oil?
Old 2019-03-13, 19:48   Link #11
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Russia is a oil exportator, no? so I would doubt than it's buying any. China might be, asa way to diversify her source.
Old 2019-03-13, 21:15   Link #12
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Russia is a oil exportator, no? so I would doubt than it's buying any. China might be, asa way to diversify her source.
Well, the US produces a ton of oil of its own, BUT they also buy a lot from abroad in order to keep their own oil as a reserve. That's why I pointed out to Russia on that.
Old 2019-03-13, 22:41   Link #13
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The majority of Venezuela's oil exports were to the United States and the Caribbean, with China be a distant third after that. Following that it traded to other Asian and European countries (India being likely a large importer), and some African nations from time to time.

Remember that Venezuela is part of OPEC. Apparently its been leaning in its oil industry too much this last decade or two and basically crippled itself. It seems their state run oil company can't afford to even cover maritime law safety inspections and cleanings of their own ships, effectively stopping commerce anyway.