Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2019-08-15, 09:37   Link #81
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyidiot78 View Post
Thanks I'll look into getting a better mic in the future, as things pic up. It's a blue snowball, but the rooms acoustics are probably also a problem.
Well, I would say that the big problem with your mic right now is a not-very-great filter and the lack of range. I think there are digital editing programs that could help with that, though.

Also, do you accept request for research topic? I really want someone with knowledge to look into how environmental conditions (wind, dust, etc.) could affect holograms when they are projected onto the air instead of a surface like glass.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-15, 20:36   Link #82
crazyidiot78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Well, I would say that the big problem with your mic right now is a not-very-great filter and the lack of range. I think there are digital editing programs that could help with that, though.

Also, do you accept request for research topic? I really want someone with knowledge to look into how environmental conditions (wind, dust, etc.) could affect holograms when they are projected onto the air instead of a surface like glass.
Thanks and that is something I will look into, but nothing I can change right away at the moment sadly.

Yes, I am always open to suggestions.
That being said your questions is a tricky one as my background in physics is not as strong as the other sciences. Now the short answer is yes it will have an affect, I would suspect the dust would be a bigger problem than the wind as it could disperse the lasers used to make the hologram. That being said it would most likely take a signifigant amount and not be a major concern in normal conditions.

The longer answer is that if your thinking of something like Hatsune Miku, they actually use a mirror to make those concerts work.

For a true 3D image in air, well that's not technically a hologram and right now they are pretty small and it's called Photophoretic trapping.
crazyidiot78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-16, 08:15   Link #83
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
Thanks and that is something I will look into, but nothing I can change right away at the moment sadly.

Yes, I am always open to suggestions.
That being said your questions is a tricky one as my background in physics is not as strong as the other sciences. Now the short answer is yes it will have an affect, I would suspect the dust would be a bigger problem than the wind as it could disperse the lasers used to make the hologram. That being said it would most likely take a signifigant amount and not be a major concern in normal conditions.

The longer answer is that if your thinking of something like Hatsune Miku, they actually use a mirror to make those concerts work.

For a true 3D image in air, well that's not technically a hologram and right now they are pretty small and it's called Photophoretic trapping.
Thank you about the information!

Also, if you don't mind, I have got another question related to biology and monster girls: There are snake girls in anime like the Lamia in Daily Life with Monster Girl. Let's presume that they shed their skin like real snakes. I guess their snake-like lower half can do it easily, but what what about their human upper-half? What is the differences between human and snake skin that make the former easier to be shed?
Old 2019-08-17, 17:14   Link #84
crazyidiot78

Quote:
Thank you about the information!

Also, if you don't mind, I have got another question related to biology and monster girls: There are snake girls in anime like the Lamia in Daily Life with Monster Girl. Let's presume that they shed their skin like real snakes. I guess their snake-like lower half can do it easily, but what what about their human upper-half? What is the differences between human and snake skin that make the former easier to be shed?
In the case of a Lamia, I would assume that the snake half sheds it's skin, but the human half does not. As to differences, the big one is that human skin is shed constantly and we are constantly making new skin cells as old ones fall off. Snake skin sheds when it becomes to small for the snake. It is also thicker and more durrable than human skin. It's more like a suit of armor or clothing and you have to remove it and get a new one when it becomes to small.
Old 2019-08-22, 10:21   Link #85
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
In the case of a Lamia, I would assume that the snake half sheds it's skin, but the human half does not. As to differences, the big one is that human skin is shed constantly and we are constantly making new skin cells as old ones fall off. Snake skin sheds when it becomes to small for the snake. It is also thicker and more durrable than human skin. It's more like a suit of armor or clothing and you have to remove it and get a new one when it becomes to small.
Say, have you check out the light novel "Monster Girl Doctor"? It does goes into things that I just asked and you did wrote about in your blog. The cases are simple, but seems like the author does do research. And, it is not a long read too.

Also, since you have done an article on the PT boat scene in Black Lagoon, can I ask you to do an article on the science of drifting and this scene from Golden Boy?
Old 2019-08-22, 21:08   Link #86
crazyidiot78

Quote:
Say, have you check out the light novel "Monster Girl Doctor"? It does goes into things that I just asked and you did wrote about in your blog. The cases are simple, but seems like the author does do research. And, it is not a long read too.

Also, since you have done an article on the PT boat scene in Black Lagoon, can I ask you to do an article on the science of drifting and this scene from Golden Boy?
That's got more physics and engineering that I have the ability to do, sadly. I have not user of monster girl doctor, but the premise looks interesting. My only concern is that it is an echi series, and well I'm a teacher IRL so not sure I want to get to close to it.
Old 2019-08-22, 21:30   Link #87
Twi

If you're open to suggestions, what about the Clima-Tact from One Piece?

About 2 years ago I was trying my own hand at dissecting anime science but time caught up to me: https://kvasir369.wordpress.com/2018...-works-part-1/

I was generally going to look at each weather ball and discuss how they function, like The Cool Ball is a bubble that makes the air surrounding it colder, notably even on a Summer Island like Alabasta, where the typical climate is that of a desert region. In terms of thermal energy, cold is the absence of kinetic energy within the molecules of an object, which causes them to slow down. So, for the air surrounding the bubble to be chilled and the temperature lowered, the surrounding molecules must have their thermal energy somehow removed.

My theory is that the Cool Ball does this in an endothermic process. The bubble is likely mixed in with a substance, a catalyst that causes the surface of the bubble to undergo the process while exposed to air. Then it pulls in surrounding heat in order to fuel itself and make the air surrounding it cooler as a result.

An endothermic process is a reaction that causes a system or object to absorbs surrounding energy in the form of heat. The simplest example I can use is probably an ice cube that’s left out of the freezer. When isolated it cools the air around it because the ice particles drawing in the surrounding heat, which causes them to break apart into a liquid state once they reach the point where the transition can take place. When even more heat is absorbed, the liquid state turns into a gaseous state and becomes water vapor.

There are some substances in our world that undergo this reaction when mixed with water or air. Ammonium nitrate, for example, are found in cold packs and produce cold when dissolved in water. It's more than plausible that Usopp had access to something like that without any difficulties in Paradise.

Taking the information above into consideration, let's theorize that the heat pulled into the Cool Ball serves as activation energy to and the surroundings become colder as a result. However, because its drawing in heat, all of that energy has to be used for something or the ball itself would simply heat up until it was balanced. The most logical thing to assume is that the catalyst mentioned before is using that heat to fuel itself and keep the Cool Ball in existence.

That would create a cycle where upon it continues to draw in heat to fuel itself. That would lower the surrounding temperature and the amount of thermal energy surrounding it as well, meaning that it would have trouble keeping itself fueled. But given how air doesn't remain stationary and cold air sink, warm air would rise to meet it and then undergo the same process until the bubble popped or the surrounding air was cooled enough that it simply couldn't serve as fuel.

Unfortunately, time constraints stopped me from going further, but you might be able to do something with it.
Old 2019-08-22, 21:47   Link #88
crazyidiot78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
If you're open to suggestions, what about the Clima-Tact from One Piece?

About 2 years ago I was trying my own hand at dissecting anime science but time caught up to me: https://kvasir369.wordpress.com/2018...-works-part-1/

I was generally going to look at each weather ball and discuss how they function, like The Cool Ball is a bubble that makes the air surrounding it colder, notably even on a Summer Island like Alabasta, where the typical climate is that of a desert region. In terms of thermal energy, cold is the absence of kinetic energy within the molecules of an object, which causes them to slow down. So, for the air surrounding the bubble to be chilled and the temperature lowered, the surrounding molecules must have their thermal energy somehow removed.

My theory is that the Cool Ball does this in an endothermic process. The bubble is likely mixed in with a substance, a catalyst that causes the surface of the bubble to undergo the process while exposed to air. Then it pulls in surrounding heat in order to fuel itself and make the air surrounding it cooler as a result.

An endothermic process is a reaction that causes a system or object to absorbs surrounding energy in the form of heat. The simplest example I can use is probably an ice cube that’s left out of the freezer. When isolated it cools the air around it because the ice particles drawing in the surrounding heat, which causes them to break apart into a liquid state once they reach the point where the transition can take place. When even more heat is absorbed, the liquid state turns into a gaseous state and becomes water vapor.

There are some substances in our world that undergo this reaction when mixed with water or air. Ammonium nitrate, for example, are found in cold packs and produce cold when dissolved in water. It's more than plausible that Usopp had access to something like that without any difficulties in Paradise.

Taking the information above into consideration, let's theorize that the heat pulled into the Cool Ball serves as activation energy to and the surroundings become colder as a result. However, because its drawing in heat, all of that energy has to be used for something or the ball itself would simply heat up until it was balanced. The most logical thing to assume is that the catalyst mentioned before is using that heat to fuel itself and keep the Cool Ball in existence.

That would create a cycle where upon it continues to draw in heat to fuel itself. That would lower the surrounding temperature and the amount of thermal energy surrounding it as well, meaning that it would have trouble keeping itself fueled. But given how air doesn't remain stationary and cold air sink, warm air would rise to meet it and then undergo the same process until the bubble popped or the surrounding air was cooled enough that it simply couldn't serve as fuel.

Unfortunately, time constraints stopped me from going further, but you might be able to do something with it.
I read this and your blog post and it was very interesting. While I know of One Piece and the basics of the story it is not something that I really got into. I was mainly following it because my students like it and it's nice to stay informed. That being said I think you are on to something here, but you are being to ambitious. I think I would start first and come at it from a weather perspective explaining how the combination of hot and cold air makes certain weather phenomena. Focus more on what the climatac does in terms of attacks, cyclone, mirage, thunderbolt, tornado, fog, and thunderstorm. With an emphasis on how she is manipulating the surrounding air and water to make those events.

I would stay away from how the balls work as it gets to close to magic for my tastes and you'll be stretching the science more there.

I'm open to a guest post if that's something you'd be interested in, since my area of expertise is more bio, chem, and medicine.
Old 2019-08-23, 00:31   Link #89
Twi

Yeah, it probably was too ambitious at the time considering I don't have a degree in anything related to the sciences.
Old 2019-08-23, 08:36   Link #90
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
That's got more physics and engineering that I have the ability to do, sadly. I have not user of monster girl doctor, but the premise looks interesting. My only concern is that it is an echi series, and well I'm a teacher IRL so not sure I want to get to close to it.
Considering the illustrator is a hentai artist, Monster Girl Doctor has surprisingly little ecchi stuffs. The most I can remember is that the monster girls always act like they are in sexual euphoria when the protagonist gives them an examination.

And regarding the balls in One Piece, I think Twi provided a good explaination for them, but I remember thinking that they glowed and emmitted some kind of laser to change the temprature - laser can actually cool things in addition to heating them.
Old 2019-09-01, 15:20   Link #91
crazyidiot78

Quote:
Considering the illustrator is a hentai artist, Monster Girl Doctor has surprisingly little ecchi stuffs. The most I can remember is that the monster girls always act like they are in sexual euphoria when the protagonist gives them an examination.

And regarding the balls in One Piece, I think Twi provided a good explaination for them, but I remember thinking that they glowed and emmitted some kind of laser to change the temprature - laser can actually cool things in addition to heating them.
Interesting I might have to look more into that.

My second video is now live. The Biology of Dragons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxqd...ature=youtu.be
Old 2019-09-11, 23:57   Link #92
crazyidiot78

https://www.animescience101.com/tenya-iida/
Old 2019-09-20, 19:01   Link #93
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
I guess Horikoshi-sensei kinda goofed on this one. What I do like about MHA is that injuries are shown pretty realistically and are actually potentially dangerous and life-threatening. It's not like in most other manga where characters, especially the protagonist, can have literally every single bone of their bodies broken and just shrug it off like its nothing, then they come out of it pretty much fine, without any serious complications.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-23, 22:59   Link #94
crazyidiot78

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
I guess Horikoshi-sensei kinda goofed on this one. What I do like about MHA is that injuries are shown pretty realistically and are actually potentially dangerous and life-threatening. It's not like in most other manga where characters, especially the protagonist, can have literally every single bone of their bodies broken and just shrug it off like its nothing, then they come out of it pretty much fine, without any serious complications.
Agree on both, he has tried to keep things more realistic despite a rather unrealistic setting. Some day when I get a chance to talk to an orthopedic doc I would like to do a post about Izuku's hand.
Old 2019-10-03, 09:36   Link #95
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Say, have you done an article on bone outgrowing and how is it can be used in fighting? I suddenly remember in Naruto there is this guy who can do it.
Old 2019-10-05, 23:28   Link #96
crazyidiot78

Quote:
Say, have you done an article on bone outgrowing and how is it can be used in fighting? I suddenly remember in Naruto there is this guy who can do it.
I have not, because I just haven't found any scientific topic I can really attach to Kimaro beyond tuberculosis (it's probably the disease he had)
Old 2019-10-13, 11:39   Link #97
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
I have not, because I just haven't found any scientific topic I can really attach to Kimaro beyond tuberculosis (it's probably the disease he had)
How about the composition of the bone and would human bones be suitable for fighting like animals' horns and hooves?
Old 2019-10-14, 00:19   Link #98
crazyidiot78

Quote:
How about the composition of the bone and would human bones be suitable for fighting like animals' horns and hooves?
I am not that familar with the intricacies of animal bone, but to my knowledge animal bone on a cellular level they wouldn't be that all that different from human bone. The differences would be in thickness of individual bone and how the internal structure is arranged. Thus I still don't think you could make the arguement that the bone guy from Naruto has animals bones or something along those lines, because those bones would still need to take a human shape as he is human.
Old 2019-10-21, 23:14   Link #99
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Say, have you made an article on enhancement boosting drugs? Not only in anime but in other fiction genre, there are always those drugs which boost the power of the user almost immediately, but I know that in real life it takes a while for this type of drugs to go into effect. Also, not many fictional works care to depict the state of the users after the effect wears off.
Old 2019-10-21, 23:47   Link #100
crazyidiot78

Quote:
Say, have you made an article on enhancement boosting drugs? Not only in anime but in other fiction genre, there are always those drugs which boost the power of the user almost immediately, but I know that in real life it takes a while for this type of drugs to go into effect. Also, not many fictional works care to depict the state of the users after the effect wears off.
I have not. Performance enhancing drugs is always a tricky subject to handle and it's not one i'm really ready to touch yet. in explaining the science it could be seen as a how to guide and that's not a place I want to go to. It is a good idea though, just not one i am ready for.

Tags
anime, anime science, science