AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2004-10-17, 02:49   Link #1
Altimit

[GSD] About Who Killed Shinn's Family! [Spoiler if you havn't seen episode 1]

The Gundam that fries Shin's family looks an awfull lot like Freedom, and the OP has Shin and Kira looking at eachother with two gundams fighting in the background. That generally meant some sort of rivalry in the last series. This'd be an interesting yet predictable twist.
Altimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 04:23   Link #2
Evan
天使我爱你

Ok!! it's all the laser beam's fault! not kira nor the Trio's fault!!

*cough* Well....I'll go with Freedom~but it's an accident!!!
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 05:42   Link #3
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Exactly what are the beams in SEED? I know that they have proton beams but what about the ordinary green ones? Plasma? I know beam weapons were plasma in Wing.

And we don't know if it's Freedom, it's only implied - just like it's implied that missiles killed them in the promo. Besides, Calamity does NOT fire upwards, so don't rule it out.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 05:58   Link #4
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb
Exactly what are the beams in SEED? I know that they have proton beams but what about the ordinary green ones? Plasma? I know beam weapons were plasma in Wing.
I know the two on the side of Freedom are supposedly rail guns. ^_^;;

Yah, it's implied, but the Kira vs Shinn thing in the OP is a heavy hint....
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 10:01   Link #5
Silver_Scorcher

Well, I don't think Shin actually saw who it was who fired the shot that killed his parents. Remember he went down the hill to get his sister's cell phone when the shot was fired, so he couldn't have seen who actually fired. If he had stayed with them he would've been killed too. And then just before he screams he sees Freedom, and the 3 EA Gundams. Once he stumbles upon Freedom and the Archangel, it won't matter to Shin who actually fired the shot. Once he sees a Gundam involved in the death of his parents, he'll go bonkers and attack without a second thought.
Silver_Scorcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 13:02   Link #6
Wisely

Likely to be Freedom when its shooting down at Calamity, the angle looks right to me.

And the Shin vs Kira in the opening definitely hints at this...
Wisely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 13:29   Link #7
Neaco
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisely
Likely to be Freedom when its shooting down at Calamity, the angle looks right to me.

It would be ironic if that was the case since Kira took on that "no kill" philosophy (with the exception of Rau at the end but he deserved it anyway) that he would intentionally/unintentioanlly kill bystanders.

Since it doesn't actually show the exact moment of impact, one cannot be 100% certain it was Kira/Calamity or the missles as shown in the promo. I really don't want it to be Kira tho. Either case, it would seem no one would ever know the truth, neither Shin nor Kira, Calamity maybe but too bad he's dead Shin sees Freedom show up again later and just like Izak's quest to destroy the Strike, Shin's gonna explode.
Neaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 13:40   Link #8
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb
And we don't know if it's Freedom, it's only implied - just like it's implied that missiles killed them in the promo. Besides, Calamity does NOT fire upwards, so don't rule it out.
Exactly and the pilot of Calamity is sick enough that he would shoot at fleeing civilians for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisely
Possibly, but not yet a smoking gun. Now if Shin in that pic looked like he was angry and screaming at Kira, than yes that might be a pretty good indicator. As it is, it only implies that the two will fight, probably more likely that Kira just finds himself fighting against Zaft/Shinn. Not saying Shin won't blame him for his family's death, but just cause Shinn blames/fights him doesn't mean Kira is guilty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neaco
It would be ironic if that was the case since Kira took on that "no kill" philosophy (with the exception of Rau at the end but he deserved it anyway) that he would intentionally/unintentioanlly kill bystanders.
Think he also chopped up a few Earth ships in the last episodes with the Meteor's beam swords, but I might be mistaken.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 15:23   Link #9
FlyByNite

Wait a minute... Shin's family DIES? SPOILER!!!!!

Heh. I think they're trying to make us think it's Freedom that killed his parents, but they'll probably not go through with it and later on it'll be revealed Calamity did it on purpose or something thru some footage they discover.
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 18:14   Link #10
srb
I can see time itself!

Sanjuro I think it was Athrun that chopped of a bridge with the beam sabers.

And in the Op kira wears the same black uniform (some sort of spec ops?) that Neo wears.

Theory: Calamity shoots at the docks. Kira has no idea that civilians are in the area in front of the docks so he fires his weapons to intercept the beam (like he did when he intercepted the cannon shots being fired at Archangel in the desert), and we've seen beams neutralize each other before.

Of course, why he would use the rail guns in that situation I don't know - it was quicker perhaps, or he might have tried to fire them at Calamity while his beams went for the beam (we know that Freedom can track and engage separate targets with all of its weapons in HiMAT mode).
Old 2004-10-17, 19:14   Link #11
Cellulax

Kira did chop up a couple of ships with meteor. Rewatch if you don't believe me.

And I doubt the the pilot of Calamity shot at the docks just to kill some civilians, when he was obviously busy with Freedom.. at least that doesn't make sense to me.
Cellulax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 19:15   Link #12
Colonel-

Send a message via AIM to Colonel-
The Druggie Trio didn't go as far as to specifically target civilians.
Colonel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 19:22   Link #13
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb
And in the Op kira wears the same black uniform (some sort of spec ops?) that Neo wears.
No, Kira just wears black clothes with some red. Its not a uniform. Its actually the same clothes that he wears in the ED... And its obvious from there that its not Neo's uniform.
Old 2004-10-17, 19:59   Link #14
Evan
天使我爱你

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
No, Kira just wears black clothes with some red. Its not a uniform. Its actually the same clothes that he wears in the ED... And its obvious from there that its not Neo's uniform.
Yup,and why in the hell would kira wear a EA uniform?
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 02:04   Link #15
srb
I can see time itself!

I rewatched the opening and you're right, they just looked sort of familiar and I have bad eyesight so you'll have to excuse me for that one .
Old 2004-10-18, 03:57   Link #16
ky_khor
Gundamed Ninja

Send a message via Yahoo to ky_khor
Kira: "how dare you drop the cellular phone i gave you!!!"
*shoot Mayu.

Shinn knew Kira shot them on purpose bcoz Kira has XX relationship with his sister.
ky_khor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 11:27   Link #17
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellulax
And I doubt the the pilot of Calamity shot at the docks just to kill some civilians, when he was obviously busy with Freedom.. at least that doesn't make sense to me.
Actually Kira was busy w/ all 3 druggies, and each actually took time to take potshots at others while they fought him. Particularly Calamity since it was stuck on the ground.

Also, if you pay close attention there's no indication that Freedom even fired at the ground before Shin's family dies either, he fires but it's to the side of the screen and there's no sense of orientation in the shot as to where he's aiming. They're being very dubious in all this and just implying. I'd actually prefer it if we never found out who killed Shin's family. Would be alot more realistic.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 11:30   Link #18
JohnSilver
MS Technician

Send a message via MSN to JohnSilver
Well, you could say it was only collateral damage... You clearly see beams, but it could be beams fired by just about any mobile suit in that area at that time, since there was actually a very large number of units fighting in a pretty confined area.

But the theory that it could be stray shots from the Freedom is possible, but Catastrophe was also pretty active at that time...
JohnSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 20:08   Link #19
ForceFreedom

A little late, but here go my observations and opinions on Freedom's weapons:

The two blasters that rotate from the wings seem to be smaller versions of Aegis's MA-Mode cannon, Calamity's chest cannon, and Raider's mouth er..puker. All 4 beams have the same colour and design as the Archangel's Lohengrin, abeit on a much smaller scale. Since the Logengrin apparently does a lot of damage to the atmosphere if fired on Earth because of some ion-blahblahblah techno gibberish, I assume that these weapons are tiny Ion Cannons.

When Archangel visited Orb for the first time, the mechanics that were repairing Strike Gundam mentioned something about "photon spattering on the barrel" slowing their repair work down. Strike's only "barrels" were the vulcan cannons, beam rifle, and big Launcher Strike gun. Vulcans we know are machine gun-like, and the Launcher Strike gun also seems like some sort of Ion Cannon, the only barrel left is the beam rifle. Seems about right.

The guns on Freedom's hips are where things get a little intresting. You recall that shots from both the beam rifle and "wing-guns" were deflected by Calamity's shield. Bullets from the vulcan weren't reflected by the shield, but just bounced off because vulcans are useless anyways. The side guns however, weren't reflected and exploded upon contact (we saw this when Kira and Athrun teamed up with that l337 move where Justice's backpack covered Freedom's approach and he blasted Calamity right in the face, and again later on from long range). So even though they look like beams, evidently there's something more to them.

Sound reasonable enough?
ForceFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 21:08   Link #20
sarcasteak
WAHA~

The hip things are officially called "rail guns" by the way. ^_^
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote