AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2022-01-19, 13:03   Link #21
Frontier

Chateau's boss doesn't want to believe that she and Song are close, although more evidence is piling up on that front...I'm kind of wondering what her agency's role in this will be .

Well, Chateau was able to stave off tattoo guy after he started shooting at them, but she couldn't control the car well enough to keep on the road when a truck turned up .

Poor girl. Her boyfriend dies, she's taken hostage by Song, and then she ends up dead in a car crash .

I'm glad that truck driver didn't die, what with him trying to do his civic duty and make sure everything was okay, but I'm not sure how long he can hold out before someone finds him .

Looks like members of Song's old organization are now targeting Chateau through her association with him...this one just sent a message, and I expect more assassins to start coming out of the woodwork .

Well, in a roundabout way, Song got Chateau to sleep in a hotel room with him (and see her with her hair down). Although not purely by her own choice .

Chateau has another childhood flashback, and I'm guessing that was Song comforting her while she slept as a child. Seems like he's made a habit of it .
Old 2022-01-19, 16:00   Link #22
Alchemist007
*Author

Unfortunately there wasn't much suspense when they try to make us think one of the MCs is in any mortal danger this early on, considering how prominent she is in the OP/ED. Somewhat more interesting is what backstory there is and where this will ultimately lead.
Old 2022-01-19, 18:18   Link #23
Ghostfriendly

With nothing done to convincingly establish the faux action girl's competence before she was undermined by toxic best-her-to bed-her defeat and romanticised stalking by a slimy toe-rag; this is complete misogyny, only moderated to package it for the mainstream.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-19, 19:44   Link #24
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

There should try to at least give us one reason to care about the protagonists. We still know absolutely nothing about them.
Old 2022-01-20, 00:00   Link #25
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Funny that the misogynistic themes are coming up from critics/viewers (Not blaming them), consdering the writer of this is a woman.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-20, 03:22   Link #26
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
There should try to at least give us one reason to care about the protagonists. We still know absolutely nothing about them.
A strikingly presented and well-defined character can get us to care about a mysterious protagonist, so long as it isn't the character of a creeper in the protag role. If this series was only about the female bounty hunter it might be a passable, if undistinguished series, and I would probably watch to discover
her backstory, if it didn't get any worse and I had nothing better to do.

Twilight and 50 Shades were written by women - plenty of reasons that women write or buy into toxic romance tropes as well.
Old 2022-01-20, 08:02   Link #27
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Funny that the misogynistic themes are coming up from critics/viewers (Not blaming them), consdering the writer of this is a woman.
Even funnier that people get outraged by that but are totally fine with him being a complete psychopath otherwise.
Old 2022-01-20, 11:08   Link #28
Frontier

I give Chateau a pass here because she managed to knock the guy off the road and couldn't help the car crash, and then she was basically nursing a concussion when he found her.
Old 2022-01-20, 12:02   Link #29
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
Twilight and 50 Shades were written by women - plenty of reasons that women write or buy into toxic romance tropes as well.
Speaking of women, it turns out the source manga is serialized in a demographic-defying magazine, Monthly Comic Gene.
Gene serializes shounen manga made for female readers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monthly_Comic_Gene
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-20, 12:53   Link #30
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Even funnier that people get outraged by that but are totally fine with him being a complete psychopath otherwise.
I'm more disappointed than outraged, or even offended. It helps that few others in this thread are saying much of anything good about the series.

Violence can be justified on utilitarian grounds in many circumstances; sexism, in none. Glamorising violence can be overdone, but the consequent harm is obvious, and even the most charismatic murderer clearly not someone to emulate in this regard, or being presented as a romantic ideal because 'women want to be hauled off and raped, honestly (James Bond)'. Like Omicron, the poison of sexism spreads more easily by less obvious harm, until it erupts in sexist violence. But there's no reason we should tolerate it at all, or that a glamorised romantic antihero should show such disgusting disrespect.
Old 2022-01-20, 16:23   Link #31
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Quote:
And the fans are mostly women as well, so no, it's not that they buy into that trope, they actually like it.
On the other hand, men tend to dislike those movies.

Quote:
It helps that few others in this thread are saying much of anything good about the series.
Same thing here.
Most, if not all, people in this thread are men, so no wonder they find a series whose target audience is female boring.
Old 2022-01-20, 17:18   Link #32
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForsaken View Post
And the fans are mostly women as well, so no, it's not that they buy into that trope, they actually like it.
On the other hand, men tend to dislike those movies.
It's against women's own interests to do so. Of course, there's a pleasure in abdicating the stress and trouble of adult human responsibility and adbicating control to another. It can be done in love, it can be enjoyed in small doses, but culture, including popular entertainment, has twisted the idea into a addictive, dehumanising burden, which doesn't stay small; targeted at women along with a hundred more social poisons. I certainly think it reasonable that I can't derive any pleasure from this sort of thing at all.

Last edited by Ghostfriendly; 2022-01-20 at 17:43.
Old 2022-01-20, 20:16   Link #33
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep2:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-21, 11:59   Link #34
Ghostfriendly

Oops, missed the point of TheForsaken's earlier post. This series probably wouldn't appeal to women because of the pathetic opening action sequence, lack of romantic chemistry and unoriginality.
Old Yesterday, 10:20   Link #35
Frontier

Quote:
Oops, missed the point of TheForsaken's earlier post. This series probably wouldn't appeal to women because of the pathetic opening action sequence, lack of romantic chemistry and unoriginality.
Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...