Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2005-12-19, 17:59   Link #1
anime-noob
Noob

Romance + Comedy (school life) anime

Hi~im out of anime to watch(dunno what to watch anymore) and out of mangas to read.
That's why i need everyone's help on finding me a new anime OR manga to read

I'm into the Romance + comedy (and high school life) style

So far i read or watched:

Love hina- it was one of my fav manga (didnt watch anime tho if there is any)
Da capo- watched the anime! it was awesome

Da capo SS- not finished, but so far its not as exciting and i dun really see a story line or a point to the anime.

Ichigo 100%- manga = awesome, anime = suck liked hell

Midori no hibi- BOTH MANGA + ANIME WERE AWESOME

Pastel - started to read the manga~ im loving it (think thats what the manga's called)

Shuffle!- awesome anime, waiting for the rest

Suzuka- read the manga (not finished) loved the manga, dun really wanna see anime, i kinda wanna finish reading the manga first, but not sure if the author's making the anime first or the manga.

GachaGacha- read the manga, not bad

GTO- altho not related to the genre above, but its my fav manga of all time. the char development are just awesome. ONE HIT WONDER

Anyways~ plz suggest anime or manga~ thx
Old 2005-12-19, 18:26   Link #2
jedinat

Aishiteruze Baby - Great anime, watched the whole thing in a day
Kare Kano - One of the few series I've watched more than once
Onegai Teacher - One of my favorites
School Rumble - Hilarious
Cheeky Angel - Good, rather long series

All of those have both comedic and romantic elements. The first three have more romance than the latter.

edit: they are also all centered around a high school environment
Old 2005-12-19, 21:57   Link #3
SmartChick
Future Billionaire

Send a message via AIM to SmartChick
For anime/manga I would also suggest Kare Kano. However, if you watch the anime, which is licensed, don't be suprised if it ends in the middle of an arch. They caught up to the manga and stopped and it doesn't seem like they are ever going to finish it. So that is why I also recommend the manga since it continues with the story. Another faorite of mine is Fruits Basket is my favorite out of all the suggestions in manga I will comment on. It isn't 100% school based but a lot of events happen there. It has all the elements you are looking for and like Kare Kano the anime ends in the middle and the manga continues the story.

For manga I would suggest Mars, Imadoki and Hana-Kimi. Mars is about a popular boy who asks a shy art student for directions. He later finds out she goes to his school and she asks if he can be her model for her next painting and it goes way deeper into their backgrounds, a murder, violence and much more. It is 15 volume long and licensed by Tokyopop. Imadoki is by my favorite manga-ka Yuu Watase. This story is about a girl who transfers to an uber rich and snotty school and changes it aorund by opening a garden club. The president of the school denies that he loves to take care of flowers and so forth but eventually he changes and falls in love with her. And last Hana-Kimi is about a japanese american girl who falls in love with a high jumper japanese boy. She decides to transfer to his school to get closer to him. However, its an all boys school so dresses herself like a boy, ends up dorming with her love, has to keep her identity a secret, and hang out with the crazy guys at her school.

And my last suggestions for anime is Revolutionary Girl Utena and Princess Tutu. These last two animes blew me away; I was so suprised by all the undertones, symbolism, mystery and much more. Revolutionary Girl Utena is about a girl named Utena who meets a prince that saves her and later she wants to become a prince too to save other people. She goes to an academy that is not exactly what it seems and Utena ends up having to duel the student council members to win, keep, and protect the rose bride. Princess Tutu yea I know what your probably thinking what a weird name but don't be deceived. Princess Tutu is about a girl who isn't so great of a ballerina ends up falling into a scheme of saving her prince by returning his heart shards. At first the anime seems like another installment of sailor moon but after a few episodes it really changes direction and becomes dark. Princess Tutu is a masterpiece and should not be missed and I rarely say that for an anime. Hope that helps.
Old 2005-12-19, 22:33   Link #4
Yuiichi
Retired.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned School Rumble yet. Animenfo description

EDIT: ZOMG! I was beaten. Heh, I even searched it in the page too. Oh well, second vote for School Rumble!

Also, if you're liking Pastel, look up Parallel. It's a shorter manga by the same Manga-ka. I highly recommend it - great story!
Old 2005-12-19, 23:17   Link #5
gameoffreak8

My Favorite Romance/Comedy are I's, Hana-Kimi, Fruits Basket, Hot Gimmick, and Suzuka. I would suggest you can read I's and Hana-Kimi manga and watch Suzuka anime.
Old 2005-12-19, 23:24   Link #6
IntrepidAKP
...Woah!

Just to reiterate, Kare Kano is god's gift to man. No joke. Enjoy the anime. If it really bothers you that it stops in a story arch then start at the manga in volume 8. Personally, I like the incomplete ending. Hell listen to the English dub. I usually don't say this, but the English dub is superior IMO.
Old 2005-12-20, 03:48   Link #7
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

You should also check Marmalade Boy.

It's pretty heavy on the romance elements, But there's also a bit of comedy and school things here and there.
Old 2005-12-20, 04:01   Link #8
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Uhm.. strangely enough, no one mentioned Azumanga Daioh!, definitely a hilarious masterpiece in its genre (school crazyness, in its best significate ). It generated a lot of clones, not all of them worthable though.

Pani Poni Dash! : deserves a mention too. Always crazy school sketches.

Dears : ecchi and very funny with a bit of sci-fi elements. I liked it for the laughters it generated

Honey & Clover (Hachimitsu to Kuroba) : one of the last masterpieces that came out.

Card Captor Sakura: Best Clamp's work, if you have the patience (70 eps..) it's very beautiful. And it has both school and romance elements.

Then if you want heavy romance drama: Kimi ga Nozomu Eien absolutely.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2005-12-20 at 05:21.
Old 2005-12-20, 05:32   Link #9
MuminTrollet

Of those already mentioned I also highly recommend Kara Kano, Fruits Basket, Hana Kimi, Aishiteruze Baby, cheeky angel, Honey and Clover and Mars (though this last one is not a comedy…). These are definitely some of my favourite anime/manga. Also highly recommended Romance/high school/Comedy are that should fit your criteria:

*Akuma de Sourou (the devil does exist) (manga). An absolute favourite...
*Hana yori dango (manga/anime) The ultimate classic shoujo manga/anime

Kare first love (manga)
Paradise kiss (manga/anime) (not much high school drama though)
Perfect Girl evolution (the Wallflower) (manga)
Love for Venus (ah…actually at uni when I think of it…but well…) (manga)
Atashi wa Bambi (manga)

(Ok, but not favourites)
Girl got Game (Power) (manga). Very similar to Hana-Kimi, but with basketball rather than highjump
Orun High school host club
Imadoki

Some good romance shoujo that I highly recommend:
Basara (manga/anime)
Nana (manga/soon to be anime)
Fushigi Yugi Genbu Kaiden (manga)
Tokyo Crazy Paradise (manga)
Absolute Boyfriend (manga)
Sensual Phrase (kaikan phrase) (manga/anime). (The anime is quite different from the manga though, where it initially focuses more on the band rather than the romance between the lead singer and songwriter as in the manga).
Tramps like us (Kimi wa pet) (manga)

These are the ones I can think of on top of my head, look up Animenfo/animenewsnetwork for info…or it would take me a while to write a summary for them all (might update with summaries when I got a bit more time )
Old 2005-12-20, 20:46   Link #10
deathbygirl

Alternatively, the Hana Yori Dango live action (recently finished airing) series is a pretty good adaptation of the manga/anime. Rumors of multiple seasons are up in the air, but the Japanese version of the live action series features great cast that really make the environment of HYD come alive, IMO.

KGnE is upheld on a near-religious level by a lot of fanatics, it might be something you want to take a look at (personally, I thought it was a good series, but not as good as some people claim it to be). I personally also liked Girls BRAVO; a bit ecchi, but more or less cute rendition of the genre (although the focus isn't fixated on school life in its entirety).
Old 2005-12-20, 23:27   Link #11
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Brother Dear brother - Private high School Lesbians
Old 2005-12-23, 12:22   Link #12
Furudanuki

Most of what I would recommend has already been mentioned, but if you would be interested in a short (2 episode) series you might want to consider watching Natsuiro no Sunadokei. It's a nice romance with some drama - nothing tragic or overly angsty though - plus a fair amount of comedy to keep the overall mood light. And don't let the OP scenes (or the anime's origin as a game) fool you, this is not a harem anime: the romantic pairing is clear from the beginning, the story deals with the obstacles they face.
Old 2005-12-23, 21:16   Link #13
animehacker

There is also Cromartae Highschool, but that isnt romance, its only comedy...and its not hahaha comedy like Gu or Azumanga Diaoh...but like Excel Saga Funny, nevertheless its a good anime with each eps being around 10 mins long..which is good
Closed Thread