AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-13, 02:12   Link #1
sayde

I need help finding an anime with good consistant animated action.

I've seen Naruto, bleach, Tenjou Tenge, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Gundam Wing, G Gundam, Hellsing, and Trigun plus I'm currently watching Berserk. (I've actually seen many more animes, but these are simply the ones that come to mind that have some action in them.)

Can anyone recommend me some animes where the action is on par or better than Ten Ten, or Samurai Champloo-all the time? It'd also be nice if there was a fair amount of action in it too. Tenjou Tenge had really good action sequences IMO, but there just wasn't that many of them.

And if possible, could any of you recommend me something with a relatively modern style of animation? For example, I'm not really interested in watching something that was made during the 80's or early 90's. Basically, plaese try to refrain from recommeding anime with characters that look like they're from Lupin 3rd. lol

I apologize if this looks like I'm being to picky.
Old 2006-02-13, 04:35   Link #2
miaka

Some action anime that you may like to take a look.

Shakugan no Shana - currently on going but already licensed
Black Cat - currently on going but already licensed too
Hunter x Hunter - comes with same author of Yuyu hakusho
Shadow Skills - a lot of hand to hand combat
full metal alchemist -
full metal panic/ TSR
Tokyo Underground
Samurai Deeper Kyo

check ANN for more details
Old 2006-02-13, 04:50   Link #3
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

if i had to guess i would say your taste suits that of a 14 year old.... lol

but try gundam 08 MS it has up to date visuals
if you have not seen gundam 0083, it is a requirement for all gundam fans.
i like one piece but that may be too cute for u
u may also like the original record of the lodoss wars
Old 2006-02-13, 12:22   Link #4
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit
if i had to guess i would say your taste suits that of a 14 year old.... lol
That's fair. I don't mind admitting that. Though I'm about to turn 19, I'll always be an action fan at heart.

But anyways, thanks for the suggestions miaka and Potatochobit. I'll be sure to check out a few of these. And if anyone has any other anime they'd like to recommend, then please share.

Last edited by sayde; 2006-02-13 at 12:32.
Old 2006-02-13, 14:31   Link #5
Crimen Scythe
Daemon Mortis

Send a message via ICQ to Crimen Scythe Send a message via AIM to Crimen Scythe Send a message via MSN to Crimen Scythe
Elfen Lied...really good gore...hmm
Old 2006-02-13, 20:06   Link #6
Morisato

Getbackers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2006-02-13, 20:28   Link #7
AnimePlus
Banned

Send a message via AIM to AnimePlus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morisato
Getbackers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There were a lot of fight scenes in Getbackers but they weren't fantastic.
Old 2006-02-13, 20:42   Link #8
sayde

Yeah, I'm looking for something fast past but very fluid. It doesn't have to have a lot of gore either.

After looking back, I think Samurai Champloo was the best 26 episode series I've ever seen in that regard. Hell; Champloo is the best 26 episode series I've seen yet period.

Right now I'm going to try and download Samurai Deeper Kyo. And from there, I'll keep going down the list of recommendations.
Old 2006-02-13, 21:58   Link #9
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

Gantz
Basilisk
Ninja scroll
full metal alchemist
Shura no toki
Gungrave
Galaxy railways
Flame of recca

info can be found in www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/

by the way i love your avtar.
Old 2006-02-13, 22:42   Link #10
IntrepidAKP
...Woah!

Gunslinger Girls - Very stylish. It's set in Italy and they have cyberized school girl assassins. Nobody expects little school girls. All the music sounds a bit like classical of the romanticism variety, and it just really works. Highly recommend.
Old 2006-02-13, 23:41   Link #11
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hawq
Gantz
Basilisk
Ninja scroll
full metal alchemist
Shura no toki
Gungrave
Galaxy railways
Flame of recca
Those titles sound pretty interesting. Plus, I've heard some pretty good things about Flame of Recca and Gungrave. Thanks.

Quote:
by the way i love your avtar.
Yeah; it's nice isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidAKP
Gunslinger Girls - Very stylish. It's set in Italy and they have cyberized school girl assassins. Nobody expects little school girls. All the music sounds a bit like classical of the romanticism variety, and it just really works. Highly recommend.
I appreciate the details. Thanks a lot. I'll definately check this out.
Old 2006-02-15, 20:05   Link #12
ultrataro

Actually if you're looking for a lot of action GSG might dissapoint you. The story isn't really about the action & fighting. Not to say it isn't a good show, i liked it very much.
Comparing against Samurai Champloo is going to pretty hard, some of those episode have such dramatic power & directing I can't think of many I've seen that rival it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidAKP
Old 2006-02-16, 01:12   Link #13
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrataro
Actually if you're looking for a lot of action GSG might dissapoint you. The story isn't really about the action & fighting. Not to say it isn't a good show, i liked it very much.
Comparing against Samurai Champloo is going to pretty hard, some of those episode have such dramatic power & directing I can't think of many I've seen that rival it.
Point taken. But I'm not so much looking for a series with a plot and/or drama that rivals Champloo. Just a series with animated action on par with it. I realize Samurai Champloo is probably one of those rare animes out there thats kind of tough to compete with. But that's ok. I'm sure there's gotta be some anime where the actions comparable at the very least. There doesn't have to be loads and loads of it either. But a fight per episode would be nice.
Old 2006-02-16, 06:25   Link #14
wao
OK.

Since you say "consistant" and "good" and "fighting action" my first thought would prolly be FMA. Bones is about as consistent as you get these days IMO. There's some good animation in there though the 4th opening animation is one of the most heart-stopping animation I've ever watched. That bit where Ed jumps off the waterfall... It never ceases to amaze me. I love, love, love, love, love that bit in the 4th OP (who cares about the rest of it)>

What else is there. Hmm... I'd say the Rurouni Kenshin OVA would be excellent, in fact it would probably exceed your expectations - but the thing is you must have watched teh TV series first if you want to really appreciate it. I don't know if I can recommend the TV series to you, the animation is not really awful but it's not necessarily consistent. It's a bit long (2 seasons - I would never recommend the 3rd season to anyone).

I might recommed Noein to you bt the thing is, it's quite far from "consistent" in the usual sense of the word - the characters look quite different in various episodes (hack cough ep 2 and 7), it might be disconcerting. The animation in general - meaing the movement, of course - is generally better than most shows, especially "minor" shows airing on obscure TV stations... in quite a number of episodes the action sequences are very inspiring and surpass many tv series.
This is not licensed but it's MFI so you can't find it on Animesuki.

edit: I'd love to recommend Macross Plus and Zero but they're not exactly action - not really fighting action, more mecha action.
Old 2006-02-16, 16:21   Link #15
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

Macross zero, really if you want to see the best mecha action, and animation, and that is if you dont mind watching a mecha show, then this is the show for the action between fighter jets that transform into mechs, and fast paced action.
Old 2006-02-16, 16:34   Link #16
7Th
Mixtape

I second Wao's recommendation of Kenshin OVA's, in fact if you look for good animated action you should start looking outside the TV series. Macross Zero, FLCL, Karas or DieBuster have both tremendous technical and artistical values.

Fullmetal Alchemist it's somewhat decent I guess, but far from consistent. Studio Bones' Wolf's Rain is a lot better in every single aspect.
Old 2006-02-17, 00:00   Link #17
sayde

I should've mentioned the fact that I saw the kenshin OVA's....ALL of 'em. I watched them after I watched all the episodes of RK:Wandering Samurai and I must say it was THE most depressing set of OVA's I've ever seen in my life. Especially since I spent over 90 episodes getting attached to Kenshin and Kaoru's characters. You have no clue how freak'n empty I felt after it all.

Anyways, that was another anime I thought had some very good action scenes, but not enough of them IMO. But it's understandable since the OVA's were clearly supposed to be more emotionally driven.

Thanks for the additional suggestions wao, Mr.Hawq, and 7Th.
Old 2006-02-17, 22:03   Link #18
ultrataro

At least check out the 1st ep of Noein. The action & animation in that one is quite good. As you say, theres inconsistencies later, but it hasn't bothered me too much. I almost take it as part of the style, and the later eps have some pretty good action too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
I might recommed Noein to you bt the thing is, it's quite far from "consistent" in the usual sense of the word - the characters look quite different in various episodes (hack cough ep 2 and 7), it might be disconcerting. The animation in general - meaing the movement, of course - is generally better than most shows, especially "minor" shows airing on obscure TV stations... in quite a number of episodes the action sequences are very inspiring and surpass many tv series.
This is not licensed but it's MFI so you can't find it on Animesuki.
Old 2006-02-18, 05:53   Link #19
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

sayde, we share in agreement with having Samurai Champloo as the best action-packed anime. I even think it's better than Cowboy Bebop [don't kill me yet] because it shows a redemptive view of humanity.

I know you want a good anime with consistent animated action. I'm trying to find that too, but it seems all I could find right now are well-plotted love stories [Kashimashi] and deep, thought-provoking anime [see Mushishi]. However, I suggest you taking a look at Ergo Proxy. No, this is not only a suggestion: this is practically a command.

Ergo Proxy was produced and animated by the same animators of Samurai Champloo, which is Manglobe. It is directed by the same director of Witch Hunter Robin, and is scripted with the scriptwriter of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. If that is still not enough for you, it has Radiohead's Paranoid Android as part of its soundtrack ... and most probably a rocking OST more techno than Samurai Champloo but still cool enough to taste delicious.

I don't know if that's enough for you. For me, since watching the first episode, Lir Meyer has become my first wallpaper for my two-month old computer. That should say a lot. And about its depth - damn, it's deep.

I have blogged about it amidst my computer addiction: http://thecrescentmoon.blogspot.com/...rgo-proxy.html.
Old 2006-02-18, 18:57   Link #20
sayde

ultrataro, I'll be sure to check out Noein in march during my spring break. Thanks for such a strong recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
Ergo Proxy was produced and animated by the same animators of Samurai Champloo, which is Manglobe.
That's all you had to say for me to give this anime a chance.
The rest of the stuff you listed was just icing on the cake. It's just a shame I never heard of it before. Sounds sweet. On a side note, I just feel like mentioning the fact that I saw the first part of the King of Fighter OVA. That had some really nice hand to hand fighting packed into only 10 minutes. It just sucks that I can't find the other 2 parts to it.

Last edited by sayde; 2006-02-18 at 21:28.
Closed Thread