AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-01-18, 22:24   Link #101
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

I'm just hoping that they actually leave some of Lightning's femininity intact instead of just making her a guy with breasts.
Old 2007-01-18, 23:51   Link #102
Knightmare213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
I'm just hoping that they actually leave some of Lightning's femininity intact instead of just making her a guy with breasts.
You know, if you think about it...she's just too beautiful to be like that (since Yuna was my favorite female FF character. Seriously, her attire seems just right for her athletic abilities (yeah, I'm talking about her skirt and her ability to kick-ass with that 'gunblade' of hers).
Knightmare213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-19, 01:36   Link #103
Demongod86

Except Nomura was told that he had to design a "female Cloud".

Well, that's sorta hard to do when Cloud was a mental basket-case and needed that special girl to clean his head out. Yes, he was cool because he was a super saiyan and had a giant sword and kicked lots of ass. But his personality didn't win any awards that's for sure.

Lightning just looks like a girl that stays fit. You can't really tell one way or another. If they wanted to make her look more beautiful, they'd dress her up in a more "girly beautiful" fashion. But so far, all I see is that she jumps on a train, beats the living crap out of a bunch of guards, makes Heero Yuy look like a small child with her stunts, and is basically the energizer bunny with a whole lot of TOUGH.

That's cool for a guy and all, but frankly, I hope Squeenix can outdo Tifa & Yuna here...(HIGHLY DOUBTFUL)
Old 2007-01-19, 02:38   Link #104
tritoch

I am interested where this is leading. Having a female for the Lead character.. not since... FF3/6.. Which is a sign of GREAT things.
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-19, 20:17   Link #105
Demongod86

@ kayos: exactly the problem. A female without a trace of femininity might as well not be one.

And having Yuna lead in X-2 was very cool. Yes, the game played like absolute shit, but at least it was fun to see Yuna come into her own and do that anime heroine follow-your-feelings stuff which made for a bunch of mush and a nice closure to the FFX saga.

RPGs are like reading a book. You buy one for their story, because their gameplay generally sucks compared to other gametypes. If the story phails, so does the game.
Old 2007-01-19, 20:42   Link #106
tritoch

Demongod86: She might be a tsundere type character who opens up later in the game. ^^
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-19, 23:13   Link #107
Demongod86

True too...I'm wondering how much of the spotlight is on her rather than OMGPOWERLEVELMYPARTY. The graphics alone make it worth playing through, as well as the advertisement that it will be the most technologically advanced FF ever (moreso than FF7? That's a very big HELL YES in my book)
Old 2007-01-21, 22:07   Link #108
Lebron
I hear voices

Even though FF13 won't see a release till 2008, it's good to know that they will release a demo this year. I just hope it's not a junk of a demo like the FF12 one was. I'm sure they learned their lesson from that mistake. That demo almost made me not purchase the game at all.

http://www.psu.com/node/7068

Last edited by Lebron; 2007-01-21 at 22:19.
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-21, 22:19   Link #109
Lebron
I hear voices

hehe, be lucky you didn't. It was a hunk of SE junk.

Also, heres some new FF13 and Vs 13 info
http://www.psu.com/node/7175
Old 2007-01-21, 23:40   Link #110
Knightmare213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron View Post
Also, heres some new FF13 and Vs 13 info
http://www.psu.com/node/7175

This is some nice info. Thanks for posting this.

However, I really hope FF13 will be one of those games that brings out much hype by making all these promises and breaking almost all of them when the game is released.
Knightmare213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 04:37   Link #111
haunterex

Send a message via ICQ to haunterex
Quote:
XII looks like a REALLY shitty story.
Play it, it's not a shitty story.

Quote:
It seriously looks like some generic medieval anime to me gone CG. The characters look blech. Yuna > Ashe by a landslide, Cloud > Tidus >>>> Vahn.
Vaan does look like micheal jackson, but the story and the game play makes up for it.

Quote:
Frankly I think 12 is gonna go the way of 8 and 9 in that it'll be ho-hum. It seems the first FF release for any system is breathtaking, and the ones afterwards are made of letdown and suck.
And frankly, in my opinion, FF9 was brilliant. It had the traditional RPG element to it, and the story was beautifully executed. The characters do look too chibi, but as the game play continues on and the story unfolds, especially after the 2nd disc, it simply becomes one of the best FF even made. FF8 was too easy, and that kind of ruined the whole thing.

ff12's battle system is awesome. It reminds me of FF10 battle system, except faster and more simple. It emulates the macro commands of ff10 with the gambit system, which i think works out pretty well. In a way, it kind of fullfill the dreams for those of us that loves the gameplay and the planning of a battle in RPG, but without having to manually input the same sequence of commands every time. The set up of functional gambit sequences that work with the whole party itself is fun, and watching your tactic works on the enemies is equally enjoyable.

Quote:
Yes, I know it's too early to judge XII, but it really does not look that appealing.

13 on the other hand...a Yuna type girl with the intensity of Tifa? YES PLEASE. Looks like the combination of everything good about VII and X in one package with a HELL OF A LOT BETTER GRAPHICS.
FF10 and FFX-2 were horrible. FFX-2 had a pretty interesting battle system which i actually liked, but that's about it. If your idea of a good final fantasy game is more yuna and tifa look-alike, please, you should just play DOA volleyball and stick with it.

FF9 really needs more love, it's a really well made RPG.

I personally can't wait for the FFXIII series. Espcially the mobile one, haha. I bet it can't be played on the iphone, even though it would be nice if it could.

Last edited by haunterex; 2007-01-22 at 04:48.
haunterex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 20:34   Link #112
Demongod86

Um, FF12's battle system is a bit crazy. You attack one enemy, and wham, it attracts 3 more who whack one character at a time all at once and he dies practically instantly, lather rinse repeat. And don't even get me started on the horrible "super attacks" system. Limit breaks in FFVII were situational as they removed the attack command (so bar deathblow, you had to use them if you wanted to attack regularly again), and frankly, FFX's system was nothing short of amazing with the different ways to fill your overdrive meter. But here, if you use your quickenings, guess what? No mana=no healing=OH NO. Seriously, I'm at the great wyrm (jungle boss) and twice I tried to quickening-chain him with all 6 of my characters (who mind you have all 3 quickenings), got him down to 1/4th HP and then WHACK, WHACK, WHACK, WHACK. The licensing system is ridiculous. The difference between the license board and FFX's sphere grid was that when you got the ability on the sphere grid, you didn't have to go into your sister's room, through her underpants drawer, into a wormhole, and emerge at a little shop in carebear land just to find the item that goes with that license! Oh, and after finding out that there's a masamune in this game, and hoping that there was some amazing sidequest where we find a katana akin to the most iconic weapon in all of videogaming, what does gamefaqs say? Oh sell this rare loot to a vendor and buy it! Seriously, what happened to Chrono Trigger's meaningful sidequests to obtain the ultimate weapons, rather than looking in some old slum (Tifa's platinum heart), dodging 200 lightning bolts (lulu's mars crest), playing Pokemon (AURON's, and to a lesser extent Yuna's), trying to catch balloons while avoiding kamikaze birds on a chocobo (Tidus), and now searching the world for rare loot? That's the one thing that really gets my goat about FF games...why are the ways to obtain the legendary items either A) harder than the final boss, thereby nullifying the actual point to go get them (that is, if you can get the legendary weapon that you have to beat a 1,000,000 HP boss that you have to be level 99 to beat, why not just go and kill the final boss with 250,000 HP that you have to be level 60 to beat and watch the ending?) or B) do absolutely the most retarded things for? I remember in Chrono Trigger, the sidequests punished you if you played stupidly (Ozzie's fort rushing the treasure, getting HP reduced to 1, LOL), but they weren't harder than beating Lavos!

And actually in terms of story, XII has the worst I've seen of VII and X, X-2, and this. Case in point? Penelo. She's supposed to be Vaan's childhood friend and so far has had in my 20 or so hours of gameplay, about 2 minutes of spoken lines.

The amazing job in VAing and cinematics (which seemed to take up more time than actually playing the game, yay) is what made X number one in my book. In XII, I'm spending several hours grinding just so I can get whatever licenses I need.

Oh, and more BS about the license grid...I remember how the materia system got criticized for taking away character individuality, and ditto the sphere grid to a lesser extent (thank goodness for locks, but that gets done away with later on, allowing Yuna to make Lulu absolutely obsolete), but here, literally every single character will eventually become a clone of each other with the difference being their stats in terms of combat. Yes, their starting locations are different, but eventually, it's going to come down to grinding and making sure everyone is decked out with the most amazing gear (probably the same gear at that).

That said, XII does have some saving graces.

1) Balthier=cool as hell
2) BUNNYMOOGLES!
3) Ashe is getting some redeeming qualities. But sheesh, 20 hours into the game? Shame on the writers!

FF9=CHIBI CHIBI YAY ^_^. No. That's lame. If it was great, it'd be lauded the same as X and VII.

All I know is that XIII will keep up the first-of-a-system FF is amazing. Here's to retaining character individuality. And dialogue instead of grinding. And more story-significant battles rather than random-generated-monster-whose-only-purpose-is-to-give-you-gold-and-exp.

And frankly, I am hoping there isn't a large party with the roody poo crew going around the world each for their own purposes, and through said course of journey, everyone just ends up falling in love with some opposite-sex character and whatever...ONE love story is enough, rather than 2+.

Last edited by Demongod86; 2007-01-22 at 20:56.
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 21:14   Link #113
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by haunterex View Post
And frankly, in my opinion, FF9 was brilliant. It had the traditional RPG element to it, and the story was beautifully executed. The characters do look too chibi, but as the game play continues on and the story unfolds, especially after the 2nd disc, it simply becomes one of the best FF even made. FF8 was too easy, and that kind of ruined the whole thing.
Me too I liked FF9 a lot if felt like old final fantasy and the story had a nice flow and I really loved the character. FF8 it really was easy and the story did not flow properly and the I did not really like the characters. Too bad though I am never going to play to play FF13 too much money for me. Unless I go to Japan, where PS3 is now about 340 dollar or so.
Old 2007-01-23, 06:21   Link #114
haunterex

Send a message via ICQ to haunterex
Quote:
Um, FF12's battle system is a bit crazy. You attack one enemy, and wham, it attracts 3 more who whack one character at a time all at once and he dies practically instantly, lather rinse repeat.
that's why you have a decoy tank.
Quote:
But here, if you use your quickenings, guess what? No mana=no healing=OH NO. Seriously, I'm at the great wyrm (jungle boss) and twice I tried to quickening-chain him with all 6 of my characters (who mind you have all 3 quickenings), got him down to 1/4th HP and then WHACK, WHACK, WHACK, WHACK.
Charge is there for a reason, as well as the license for increase efficency of item usage. Set up a gambit for them and it wont be so bad, and frankly, that's why you can only have 3 characters in the field at once, not to use up all your resource if you know you cant finish off a strong mob.

Quote:
That's the one thing that really gets my goat about FF games...why are the ways to obtain the legendary items either A) harder than the final boss, thereby nullifying the actual point to go get them (that is, if you can get the legendary weapon that you have to beat a 1,000,000 HP boss that you have to be level 99 to beat, why not just go and kill the final boss with 250,000 HP that you have to be level 60 to beat and watch the ending?) or B) do absolutely the most retarded things for?
consider getting the legendary items a side quest. You dont need ultima weapon in ff7 to beat the game, or absolutely need ribbon to finish the final boss. But it's the challenge to take that extra step to defeat that ridiculously hard mob to get a ridiculously strong weapon for that sense of completion. I took the hard way to fight ruby (or emerald) weapon with cloud alone just for the fuck of it. The weapons were harder than the final boss, but it was something out of the ordinary to make that game fun.
As for ff12, the loot system is kinda emulating the ff10 mmorpg feeling. Finding the right item to get an rewarding rather than grinding blindly for gils so you can buy the better items is a different style of play. I find it refreshing, but it does get annoying, but not with the degree of detest as you have.

Quote:
And actually in terms of story, XII has the worst I've seen of VII and X, X-2, and this. Case in point? Penelo. She's supposed to be Vaan's childhood friend and so far has had in my 20 or so hours of gameplay, about 2 minutes of spoken lines.
and tifa is supposed to be most important person to cloud initally, yet aeris stolen the show. That's why the story has more than 2 characters as the main cast.

Quote:
Oh, and more BS about the license grid...I remember how the materia system got criticized for taking away character individuality, and ditto the sphere grid to a lesser extent (thank goodness for locks, but that gets done away with later on, allowing Yuna to make Lulu absolutely obsolete), but here, literally every single character will eventually become a clone of each other with the difference being their stats in terms of combat. Yes, their starting locations are different, but eventually, it's going to come down to grinding and making sure everyone is decked out with the most amazing gear (probably the same gear at that).
You can get everyone to be the same, if that's enjoyable for you. If you don't like it, then why do it then complain about being too easy?
Play class challenge like i am, the license grid is set up so you can roleplay many different classes in the final fantasy world.
If you don't like just spend that extra time milking the mobs and then get every characters to have the same license, plan something out unique.

I am having a fun time playing an all girl cast with 3 simple mixed classes.
ashe as a tank decoy with the lowest max hp to attract the general mob.
fran as a black mage with time magick and offensive green magick.
while penelo as a white mage with defense green magic and buffs.

The guys i am still trying to figure out what i want to do with them, which will be fine since i have been saving enough license points to license every thing i want at once to create the class that i want.

Quote:
FF9=CHIBI CHIBI YAY ^_^. No. That's lame. If it was great, it'd be lauded the same as X and VII.
if the looks is what turned you away from ff9, then all i can say is you are missing a great FF game because you can't fantasize about the characters like you can with yuna of tifa.
I think of it as THE last traditional rpg in terms of class set up and character design in recent times. So simple, yet so balanced. It just feel so... traditional, but the story keeps it all related and enjoyable. [QUOTE=Demongod86;808942]

Quote:
random-generated-monster-whose-only-purpose-is-to-give-you-gold-and-exp.
umm... aint that a core purpose of a rpg?

back on topic, haha
i do have great hopes for FF13 series, i just hope they wont be too concentrated on graphic and neglect the game play aspect. A good and innotative battle system is key. At least not one that seems punishing and slow.
haunterex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-23, 11:30   Link #115
Lyannea

I must be one of the few Final Fantasy Fan who don't compare each game with the previous ones. I loved every game for their own good sides. Final Fantasy X had a great story and I loved the graphics. Final Fantasy VIII had strong characters and a nice story. Final Fantasy VI is Final Fantasy VI (kefka!! terra!! etc). Final Fantasy XII had one great gameplay. I loved the license grid and I loved the quickening even though I barely used them. In fact, I loved everything about the battle system except espers which I never used :P
In each games, there were defaults.

I don't expect FFXIII to be perfect, but from what I saw it looks promising. I can't judge it yet because it has not came out. But well, the less you expect, the better the gaming experience is.

Frankly, I was expecting nothing from Final Fantasy XII because of all the negative critics I had read, but it was not that bad. I had a lot of trouble getting used to the gameplay in the first hours (got owned too many times, till that famous jungle boss which I didnt beat)... After that, I decided to do the hunts, leveled so much that the rest of the game was a piece of cake. Square-Enix did not treat that game like a movie and they did not explain everything. You have to suppose what were the life of Vaan, Penelo, Ashe (etc) before and what it is now. You barely see them talking to each other, but you can imagine they do since they fight together for so long... I think Final Fantasy XII needs a great deal of imagination. It is not the greatest rpg of all time, but I sure enjoyed it.

I hope it will be the same for FFXIII.
Lyannea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-23, 16:14   Link #116
Demongod86

Frankly, statistics show that VII and X are the best FFs, at least recently. Don't know about 6. And to whoever said Aeris stole the show, I don't see how people really say she did...I certainly didn't feel that way. She was a nag that tagged along, you find out she's an ancient, then she gets herself killed. Yay. The game woulda ended with cloud's mako poisoning if not for Tifa.

And yes, in IX, you can't fantasize about anyone like with Tifa or Yuna, but believe me when I say that there's a desire in every single guy to see a beautiful girl and for every girl to see a good-looking guy.

I just hope that the rest of XIII plays out looking as good as the trailer, in which we can't tell the difference between CG cutscene and actual gameplay.
Old 2007-01-25, 21:21   Link #117
Lebron
I hear voices

To me, FFX, X-2, and XI were all garbage. FFXII was average, but when compared to the previous 3, it's a god send and easily the best FF on the PS2. Still I think someone said it earlier, there are so many Final Fantasy games that it's easy to see that each person will have his/her favorite, and also non-favorite. To each his own

Quote:
I just hope that the rest of XIII plays out looking as good as the trailer, in which we can't tell the difference between CG cutscene and actual gameplay.
It shouldn't be a problem. If Mistwalker can do it with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, then SE should easily be able to do it with FFXIII and FF vs 13. I mean that's mainly the reason why they decided to develop the White Engine.

However, I'm curious on why SE decided to adopt the Unreal 3 engine for future titles. Would of thought they would stick to their own in-house engine with their future titles. Or maybe it's for future releases on other platforms beside the PS3, since the White Engine was built specifically for the PS3. Who knows :P

Last edited by Lebron; 2007-01-25 at 22:08.
Old 2007-01-28, 16:47   Link #118
spaceage9

Quote:
However, I'm curious on why SE decided to adopt the Unreal 3 engine for future titles. Would of thought they would stick to their own in-house engine with their future titles. Or maybe it's for future releases on other platforms beside the PS3, since the White Engine was built specifically for the PS3. Who knows :P
Can u elaborate on that, especially about the Unreal 3 engine for future titles???
spaceage9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-28, 16:55   Link #119
cdtm

Quote:
To me, FFX, X-2, and XI were all garbage. FFXII was average, but when compared to the previous 3, it's a god send and easily the best FF on the PS2.
So you liked 8 then?
cdtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-28, 23:35   Link #120
Aetheri

Quote:
Can u elaborate on that, especially about the Unreal 3 engine for future titles???
Take a look.
Aetheri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
final fantasy, ps3, rpg, square-enix, xbox 360