Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2018-02-07, 09:37   Link #27681
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by -gold- View Post
because i dont? america is boring what possibul history can they use, i mean their using beowolf as a berserker....thats a movie mc from a film...so dumb

edit, native american history? i figured it would be, theirs probably gonna be some line on how white people took our land or whatever, yeah looking forward to that (sarcasm) now? and why is tomas edison a loin, japan does not think highly of america do they
Buddy, Karna and Arjuna show up on opposite sides. The Celts invade headed by a Grail corrupted Cu. The last fight involves 28 demon pillars at once.

And the Native American is fighting to restore the world despite how it ended for his people because he doesn't want to erase everything they fought for.
Old 2018-02-07, 09:40   Link #27682
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Still haven't got any CE drops. I really hate it when an event forces you to rely on a drop to LB a CE.

Quote:
because i dont? america is boring what possibul history can they use, i mean their using beowolf as a berserker....thats a movie mc from a film...so dumb

Edit: I few moment later and I get a CE drop. Figures.

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."

Last edited by NAJ P. Jackson; 2018-02-07 at 10:01.
NAJ P. Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-07, 10:29   Link #27683
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I bullied Curaptor and Shanobu enough to have drop enough to lb 2 CE.
Old 2018-02-07, 11:01   Link #27684
shadow1296

Quote:
i mean their using beowolf as a berserker....thats a movie mc from a film...so dumb
have you ever taken a literature class, because the ignorance in this statement is beyond the level of normal stupidity
Old 2018-02-07, 11:15   Link #27685
Rasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1296 View Post
have you ever taken a literature class, because the ignorance in this statement is beyond the level of normal stupidity
Hey, c'mon, don't be so hard on the guy.

Look at the defensiveness towards possible Native American claims of white-man oppression and distaste toward Edison being a "loin." (To be fair, lots of people don't like his design. But we get the joke/reference.)

The man is clearly the product of the American education system. These days, I'm pleasantly surprised if they even know there were people here before the European settlers arrived, let alone know about a character from an old English epic.
Rasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-07, 11:21   Link #27686
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasen View Post

Look at the defensiveness towards possible Native American claims of white-man oppression.

The man is clearly the product of the American education system. These days, I'm pleasantly surprised if they're even aware of Native Americans, let alone a character from an old English epic.
The American education system tends to emphasize stuff like the poor treatment of Native Americans in the early days, so that's not the origin of this.
Old 2018-02-07, 11:37   Link #27687
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

I bet he only remembered that movie because of Angelina Jolie's tits.

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."
NAJ P. Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-07, 11:45   Link #27688
Rasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
The American education system tends to emphasize stuff like the poor treatment of Native Americans in the early days, so that's not the origin of this.
I went to good schools in prosperous, liberal areas, and I think American history spent exponentially more time on the Revolution and how Britain was screwing us over which is what led to our heroic uprising.

I think the textbooks basically just mentioned Pilgrims being helped by noble savages, Pocahontas, Geronimo, and Custer's last stand. And then Native Americans are just.... never mentioned again.
Old 2018-02-07, 11:47   Link #27689
shadow1296

Quote:

Look at the defensiveness towards possible Native American claims of white-man oppression and distaste toward Edison being a "loin." (To be fair, lots of people don't like his design. But we get the joke/reference.)

The man is clearly the product of the American education system. These days, I'm pleasantly surprised if they even know there were people here before the European settlers arrived, let alone know about a character from an old English epic.
i'm american and even i know the origin of beowulf that really is no excuse, and beowulf can be taught as early as 5th grade in english class again no excuse, it's not a history subject it's an english one
Old 2018-02-07, 11:54   Link #27690
Klard
The cilvilain

I don't even know that much about Beowulf and i still know that he's not the MC from some movie
Old 2018-02-07, 12:01   Link #27691
larethian

And also, looking at real world history when we are in Nasuverse haa~nh?!
Nightingale is the best character in Murrica!! She probably KO people to get them to stay still and shoulder carry them in real world history too!!
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-07, 12:03   Link #27692
Klard
The cilvilain

I don't think Beowulf beat Grendel to death with his fists like in nasuverse either
Old 2018-02-07, 12:51   Link #27693
Rasen

Quote:
i'm american and even i know the origin of beowulf that really is no excuse, and beowulf can be taught as early as 5th grade in english class again no excuse, it's not a history subject it's an english one
Ah, I can see the confusion.

I'm not saying Beowulf is taught in American History. I'm saying that judging by his reaction to certain aspects of American history, I'm guessing he went to American schools. (And then we got sidetracked)

Now, the question is whether American literature classes taught Beowulf. While I'm sure some classes did, I'm sure other classes did not for any number of reasons (One possible one: "How can we expose our poor innocent children to depictions of violence?")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klard View Post
I don't think Beowulf beat Grendel to death with his fists like in nasuverse either
Say it isn't so!

Next you'll be telling me that Martha didn't subjugate a dragon with nothing more than the power of Prayer! (I assume that's the name of her gauntlets)
Old 2018-02-07, 12:59   Link #27694
McW
Canaan II When?

What exactly we are debating about?

Beowulf is pretty much a legend that won't be taught to you on school unless you look it up for yourself.

And don't underestimate real world history people, some of those accomplished a lot of crazy stuffs.
McW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-07, 13:11   Link #27695
-gold-

Ok sorry for what I said I dint think. And my school focusesd on world war 2 mostly they touched very little on everything else. At least from wat I recall. Anyways sorry guys
-gold- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-07, 14:31   Link #27696
XFire
150% done

Quote:
I went to good schools in prosperous, liberal areas, and I think American history spent exponentially more time on the Revolution and how Britain was screwing us over which is what led to our heroic uprising.

I think the textbooks basically just mentioned Pilgrims being helped by noble savages, Pocahontas, Geronimo, and Custer's last stand. And then Native Americans are just.... never mentioned again.
Really? My high school spent quite a while on things like the Trail of Tears and reservations. We had a whole section on Manifest Destiny as well. And my school was fairly conservative, the teacher just said we should be aware of both sides of America's past.
Old 2018-02-07, 14:41   Link #27697
shadow1296

Quote:
Ah, I can see the confusion.

I'm not saying Beowulf is taught in American History. I'm saying that judging by his reaction to certain aspects of American history, I'm guessing he went to American schools. (And then we got sidetracked)

Now, the question is whether American literature classes taught Beowulf. While I'm sure some classes did, I'm sure other classes did not for any number of reasons (One possible one: "How can we expose our poor innocent children to depictions of violence?")

Say it isn't so!

Next you'll be telling me that Martha didn't subjugate a dragon with nothing more than the power of Prayer! (I assume that's the name of her gauntlets)
I was learning these stories in public middle school as the teachers are required to teach them, it wasn't just this one stories like the most dangerous game, the green knight, Lewis Carol's the walrus and the carpenter, these are taught in public schools, yes Beowulf is one of those stories
Old 2018-02-07, 14:51   Link #27698
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klard View Post
Actually, he did in most versions. His sword broke on Grendel's skin, so Beowulf beat him up and ripped his arm off. Grendel crawled back to its lair and bled out.
Old 2018-02-07, 17:22   Link #27699
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Depending on who you ask, main reason Beowulf's swords failed him is that 1. The monsters he fought couldnt be harmed by weapons forged by man, so Beowulf have to fight with what the gods gave him. his own body. 2. Beowulf is freakish strong.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-07, 21:18   Link #27700
Rasen

Quote:
I was learning these stories in public middle school as the teachers are required to teach them, it wasn't just this one stories like the most dangerous game, the green knight, Lewis Carol's the walrus and the carpenter, these are taught in public schools, yes Beowulf is one of those stories
Maybe your teachers were required to teach them.

Most Dangerous Game - nope (had to read that one for myself)
Green Knight - nope (still don't know it, even though someone wrote a Harry Potter/Fate crossover where the Green Knight is summoned)
Walrus - yes
Beowulf - nope (read it for myself)

A surprising number of African folk tales, dumb poetry by Frost, and Mark Twain (of course). Maybe the Lord of the Flies...

I can't speak for certain, but Literature probably gives a lot more leeway to the teachers in their choice of curriculum. (Compared to say, algebra. And even then, America's not doing so hot.)

Tags
fgo, gacha, ios, type-moon