AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-01-31, 09:59   Link #941
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
~
Seriously, what kind of person today knows what a "fishmonger" is off the top of their head without having studied Hamlet?
~
I'm a little lost here, because I am not quite getting what has understanding the meaning of fishmonger has to do with Hamlet when it is still a commonly used word. Off-hand I can think of the famous fishmongers in Australia, and I see the word regularly in newspapers and online articles.

Have I missed the memo about it being some sort of archaic word? I can think of far more "quaint" words such as "wont" (and I don't mean "won't"). I mean seriously, when was the last time you saw it being used?

About languages, I studied Literature as well, so I get a pretty big kick out of reading "Ye Olde Way of English".

Cheers.
Old 2008-01-31, 10:18   Link #942
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I didn't want to pick at his choice of words ("fishmonger") because the general gist of his points I thought salient In general, my *original* line of thinking was simply that it would be nice if the subtitlers could figure out some written way of conveying Horo's speech (elegant yet a bit erotic) and was exploring Shakespeare as the "best choice" for modern viewers to 'get it' that she's talking a bit strangely.

Lawrence initially thought she may be a courtesan not only because she was nude but because of the way she talked.
Old 2008-01-31, 11:03   Link #943
Skane
Anime Snark

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I didn't want to pick at his choice of words ("fishmonger") because the general gist of his points I thought salient In general, my *original* line of thinking was simply that it would be nice if the subtitlers could figure out some written way of conveying Horo's speech (elegant yet a bit erotic) and was exploring Shakespeare as the "best choice" for modern viewers to 'get it' that she's talking a bit strangely.

Lawrence initially thought she may be a courtesan not only because she was nude but because of the way she talked.
If I understand correctly, she is speaking in a sultry and dignified manner? If so, I believe it should be possible to convey such a manner of speech without resorting to the olde tongues.

Cheers.
Old 2008-01-31, 12:19   Link #944
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane
If I understand correctly, she is speaking in a sultry and dignified manner?
I think the word we're looking for is "coquettish."

coquette noun LITERARY
"a woman whose behaviour is intended to attract sexual attention by being playful and charming."
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-31, 12:35   Link #945
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, that's the proper word. When I use the word "elegant" it is meant to differentiate from crass sexualization. but "playful and charming" or "coquettish" is much nearer the mark.
Old 2008-01-31, 17:22   Link #946
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I'm a little lost here, because I am not quite getting what has understanding the meaning of fishmonger has to do with Hamlet when it is still a commonly used word.
I was kinda referring to the use of "fishmonger" when Hamlet calls Polonius a "fishmonger" in an obviously derogatory sense. I wasn't referring to the obvious definition of "merchant who deals in fish".

From what I understand of his usage, "fishmonger" was at one point slang for a pimp. That was what I think isn't common knowledge.
Old 2008-02-02, 00:06   Link #947
Flo
The Necessary Evil

For my opinions, suggestions and speculations of the future of Wolf and Spice, the following event below are required.
-Horo and Lawrence’s relationship is strong
-Chloe has already met Horo

1) Chloe
Spoiler for Part 1:

2) Horo being captured by the Church
Spoiler for Part 2:

3) Wolf and Execution Day
Spoiler for Part 3:

There is part 4 of the speculation, I’m tired and I’ll just stop here. Pardon my mindless babbling
Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 00:45   Link #948
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo View Post
For my opinions, suggestions and speculations of the future of Wolf and Spice, the following event below are required.

1) Chloe
Spoiler for Part 1:

Spoiler for Part 2:

Spoiler for Part 3:

There is part 4 of the speculation, I’m tired and I’ll just stop here. Pardon my mindless babbling
Wow, that's quite an imagination. It's also pretty distasteful. Bleh. Too sad for my tounge.
Old 2008-02-02, 01:35   Link #949
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think someone's been watching a bit too much Higurashi and Elfen Lied
Old 2008-02-02, 01:43   Link #950
tebahpla
Not B&

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I think someone's been watching a bit too much Higurashi and Elfen Lied
this is generic so I hope i dont get modded.

higurashi was asesome, elfen lied was just horrible and gory. noods were hot though
tebahpla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 02:59   Link #951
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My point was that the scenarios for S&W that Flo speculatively plotted out all seemed much darker than the vibes I've gotten out of this series....

Most of Flo's endings are "Bad Endings" (guess the reference) of a quite horrible nature, though I can't say they aren't possible in a grimmer story.
Old 2008-02-02, 03:00   Link #952
Khaos

Talking

Quote:

1) Chloe
Spoiler for Part 1:

Spoiler for Part 2:

Spoiler for Part 3:

Well point 1 is reasonable, but at 2 and 3 you get carried away a little, sorry. Main reason for me to object this is, that all this possibilities contradict the feeling of the story. Spice and Wolf is mainly focused on the relationship of Horo and Lawrence, so nothing really bad is likely to happen to those two. Also some sort of happy end is for sure (doesn't mean that they get to live together). So please don't be so pessimistic, there is enough more in the novels to come and this is a show for enjoyment and not to drive the viewers into total despair!
Khaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-02, 04:45   Link #953
Flo
The Necessary Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
Well point 1 is reasonable, but at 2 and 3 you get carried away a little, sorry. Main reason for me to object this is, that all this possibilities contradict the feeling of the story. Spice and Wolf is mainly focused on the relationship of Horo and Lawrence, so nothing really bad is likely to happen to those two. Also some sort of happy end is for sure (doesn't mean that they get to live together). So please don't be so pessimistic, there is enough more in the novels to come and this is a show for enjoyment and not to drive the viewers into total despair!
I have a habit and a track record of making cute and lovable story into a dark and angst one with most of the ending being a "bad end" or "very bitter after taste"

And I love it
Old 2008-02-02, 11:38   Link #954
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Long time no see flo and you are already showing off your WTFness

LOL eroge type choices and LOL at the bloodsucking ^^

Made my day for sure

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 03:31   Link #955
Flo
The Necessary Evil

Quote:

1) Chloe
Spoiler for Part 1:

Spoiler for Part 2:

Spoiler for Part 3:

Part 4 of my gloomy speculation

4) The difficult road to Yoitsu

Spoiler for part 4:

To be continued with part 5
Upon arriving Yoitsu
-----
Yes, while I love 'Wolf and Spice' as a standalone package, I love to look at the series beyond the package then add it in.

Example. adding generic harem genre or Wolf and Spice in a modern setting or settle economic dispute WITH YOUR FIST! (ATATATATATATATATA~!)

I choose the darker, angst path. Not only because I like the doom and gloom feel, it's also because it fits so perfectly with the influence of Christianity and heresy during its time.

Last edited by Flo; 2008-02-03 at 11:37. Reason: PS. I also have a sick mind. LOL!
Old 2008-02-03, 23:43   Link #956
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

up to ep 2, really like his charming lil show, the nudity is handled wonderfully, more shows should go this route ,I'd rather have the body suit treatment as a form of censorship than visual noise of whatever censor crap of the day is....
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 00:48   Link #957
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
You know, considering how many players howl over the "olde English" script used in FFXII ("zomgs! the voice acting in FFXII is awful!"), I wonder if viewers are truly ready to listen to Horo speaking Elizabethan English in a R1 dub.

Consider this example from Speaking old English for Dungeon Crawlers:

Lady: Well met, milord. Whither wendest thou?

Knight: I came hither from Britain, Lady, and am making for Covetous this very minute.

Lady:Wherefore goest thou thither?

Knight: For to rid the labrynth's twisting passages of the evil that doth lurk therein.

Lady: And when thou returnest thence?

Knight: I shall again to fair Britain, the bounty of mine hunt for to leave in the bank there.

Lady: Well and good then, milord. Hie thee hence! Hie thee hence! And may the Virtues smile upon thee.

Knight: And on thee, milady, and may thou not be troubled overly by mongbats.
Disagree FF12 in English has a theme of its own, I will admit nothing beats a solid JP cast...NOTHING......NOTHING and really wish I would get the JP vocie tracks with every game..I am sorry but I can;t stand bad dubs and nearly anything from capcom makes my skin crawl.

But FF12 dialog and VAing is some of the better stuff I have sen for gaming in ages, my only real complaint about it (besides the game play begin trash) is that they do not use enough voice actors and some of the VAing is rough, but still even as far as dubs go its a 6 (Naruto would be a 5,inuyasha being a 7, FMA would be a 7 as well,Cowboy bebop a 8-9.)
Old 2008-02-06, 15:13   Link #958
ZippyDSM

Quote of a life time
"Males are foolish, jealous creatures.And females are fools who are pleased by that.":Horo Spice and wolf.
Old 2008-02-07, 08:19   Link #959
Bloodseeker

Picked this up on a whim (almost... I saw a thread on /a/ yesterday where everybody seemed to have positive views of the show itself; generally positive views for a show on /a/ that don't seem to be purely driven by said show's fap value is generally a good sign), and I'm pleasantly surprised. I was half expecting it to be a bore.

Horo's awesome, and Lawrence is pretty likable as well. Also, <3 old world European settings.

I picked this up at a good time too, what with me taking macroeconomics.
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 09:45   Link #960
Vibeke
❤ Fabulous MAX~! ❤
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Vibeke
I must say it took me a lot of time to finally finish the 1st episode. At first I thought, that the setting and the characters (especially this part about Lawrence being a traveling seller) was rather strange, but after 2 episodes I totally love this show~!
I really like this slice-of-life nature of it (yes, I know that it's a shounen novel...)

Currently busy studying Japaneese language and culture on Warsaw University//my animelist
Vibeke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, drama, fantasy, furry, imagin, kemonomimi, romance, shounen