AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-09-04, 01:34   Link #1701
dodgethis_sg
Storm of Her Wrath

JAM Project, Nana Mizuki, Minami Kubayashi, ALI Project and the following picture in one concert DVD.

HOW CAN YOU NOT BUY THE DVD.
dodgethis_sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 01:51   Link #1702
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

dodgethis_sq wins a free internet..... and nice pic of our three popular VAs he has.
Old 2006-09-04, 02:24   Link #1703
dodgethis_sg
Storm of Her Wrath

Such praise is undeserving of me. All I need is knowledge is that in all I do is in praise of Her.

Never the less, may Her blessed light shine upon you and all your endevours for your praise.
dodgethis_sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 10:27   Link #1704
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

O I should've discovered this earlier...
http://www.minaidehazukashii.com/?p=175

A cookie for those that knows of the in-joke this blogger makes on Haruhi.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 16:11   Link #1705
arcticphoenix16

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan
O I should've discovered this earlier...
http://www.minaidehazukashii.com/?p=175

A cookie for those that knows of the in-joke this blogger makes on Haruhi.
LEEROOOOOOY JEEENNKKIINNSSSS!
arcticphoenix16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 03:21   Link #1706
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Haha, I read that a few weeks after 11 came out... good stuff.

It'd be great if someone'd actually put the audio for the Jenkins video to Ep. 11 clips.
Kikaifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 02:31   Link #1707
Nergol

Didn't Like Haruhi Suzumiya

Ok, well, why not just stick my you-know-what into a wasp's nest on the first day?

I really didn't like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I know it's the big craze now, and that'll be a little unpopular. But hey, I didn't like Evangelion or Azumanga Daioh either. Anyhow, here's why:

Basically, I couldn't get past Haruhi herself. She's a pushy, obnoxious, self-centered loudmouth whose selfish abuse of those around her borders on the sociopathic. She gets away with it by a combination of her good looks and her talent at bullying the people around her. Watching her abuse Mikuru's good nature didn't make me laugh and didn't make me like her. It frankly made me want to smack her in the face, which is the one action that, if someone had taken, would have saved this anime for me.

I'll admit, I haven't watched the whole thing. I gave up after a few episodes, because frankly I couldn't take any more. Every time Haruhi came on screen I wanted to reach through my TV and give her a Superfly-sized b*tchslap. It made watching the series unpleasant, so I gave up.
Nergol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 02:49   Link #1708
Bloodseeker

I have a similar problem with Haruko from FLCL; every time she comes on screen, I just want to jump in there and break that bass guitar over her head. That instrument's too cool for her. She almost ruined the show for me.

As for Haruhi... she wasn't my favorite TMoHS character (actually, I'd say that she was my least favorite out of the main five), but I still liked her. She's a bitch for sure, but much like Asuka Langley Sohryu, Urumi Kanzaki, and Talho before her, she's a fun, lovable kind of bitch. I will say that Mikuru is much cuter when she doesn't have that upset expression that she gets on her face when Haruhi is tormenting her though.
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 02:52   Link #1709
arias

I'm suprised this warrants a thread. I'm not belittling your opinion, but I would think this would be more appropriate on the Suzumiya Haruhi sub-forum instead.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 03:02   Link #1710
Nergol

Of course it warrants a thread. It's a new take on it. Besides, I like attention ^_^
Old 2006-09-07, 03:11   Link #1711
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Nah this isn't new, I've seen too many people from various forums create a thread just to say they didn't like the show.

I can only say that if you fail to like Haruhi and thus give up on the show, is the same case as losing a lottery ticket which has the winning numbers. Its a major loss for you.

People just like to boast about their loss, its been around since ancient times.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 03:12   Link #1712
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

It warrants a thread... but the Haruhi forum is probably a more appropriate place to put it.

You're entitled to your opinion, though, and it's a fair one, and one that you're not alone on. Haruhi does have an ability to rub certain people the wrong way, and with her being the almost sole focus of such a unique and unconventional anime, if you don't like her, you probably won't like the anime very much at all.

Me... I loved Haruhi; both the character and the anime. But it hardly surprises me that there's a big contingent that didn't like either.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 03:21   Link #1713
Nightfall
Haruhi-ist.

Yeah, Haruhi is annoying. She is supposed to be like that. Probably, if i were Kyon, i would have smashed her face on a brick wall many times. But this does not mean that she isn't a very well-developed character, just like Asuka from Eva as Bloodseeker said. Despite all this, i love her, as much as i love the series.
Well, maybe you haven't been chosen :P
Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 03:43   Link #1714
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
I'm suprised this warrants a thread. I'm not belittling your opinion, but I would think this would be more appropriate on the Suzumiya Haruhi sub-forum instead.
...That still requires a thread to be created, doesn't it? I've skimmed through the subforum, and didn't find a single thread title where this opinion can be put in appropriately.
Spoiler:

Personally, I have a similar opinion regarding Haruhi as well. On like, episode 2(?), she abused both the computer club president as well Mikuru so that she could get her hands on a computer for her own club. I didn't laugh much, although it was pretty funny. As usual, I thought of discussing about the anime on the forums, yet all that I saw (in terms of comments/posts) were "OMG Haruhi rocks!", "Hahaha, so funny (Haruhi's steps in obtaining a PC)". The moment I mentioned how...'selfish' her character was, the Automatic Haruhi Defence Systems came into place and tried to explain why people should forgive Haruhi, because she is a god so she doesn't know how to behave, etc (even though she was making Mikuru cry on a regular basis).

I don't know about you, but that pretty much seems as if SHnY fanboys/girls aren't being much different from 'Narutards' or 'Airheads'. But hey, thats the same for just about every anime series with a reasonably large fanbase, so I'm not trying to bash haruhi fans or anything. But yea, some don't seem to realize this.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 03:56   Link #1715
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
...That still requires a thread to be created, doesn't it? I've skimmed through the subforum, and didn't find a single thread title where this opinion can be put in appropriately.
I don't understand what you're saying. How would it still require a thread to be created. The substance and scope of his post is only enough material to make as a reply to one of the existing threads on the Suzumiya Haruhi forum. If not, he could easily make a request to the mods to put up a thread for him.. he's already admitted that he likes the attention (though this doesn't necessarily mean he dislikes SuzuHaru for the attenion), I don't see any reason for your qualms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergol
Of course it warrants a thread. It's a new take on it. Besides, I like attention ^_^
That's not a clever opinion. New takes don't necessarily warrant new threads.. I won't even give an example for such an obvious poop. Also, we already have poster trolls who've rumbled the SuzuHaru forum bashing the anime and the main female character while at the same time promoting their favorite mecha anime. This is nothing new at all. Like I said, you could request a mod to create a thread for you and other dissenters in the actual sub-forum.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 04:03   Link #1716
Nergol

I think people like Haruhi precisely because she's rude, boorish, and inconsiderate, and gets away with it. They live a little vicariously through her: "Boy, I wish I could get away with doing all the stuff she does!" People have a soft spot for people being bad - why do you think white upper-class suburbanite kids listen to gangsta rap? They listen to that and picture themselves poppin' some caps in a punk or smackin' down a ho - in other words, doing (and getting away with) all the stuff that never even comes up in their bland suburban lives, and that they'd never get away with doing in Pleasantville.

I've been on the recieving end of a couple real-life Haruhis, and believe me, it's not as fun as it looks in anime. Just like the real ghetto isn't any fun, despite how rap videos might make it look.
Old 2006-09-07, 04:14   Link #1717
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergol
I've been on the recieving end of a couple real-life Haruhis, and believe me, it's not as fun as it looks in anime.
Its exactly because Haruhi could be such a person and still be fun that attracts people.

Also for people who had seen my arguments, I don't argue with opinions or against opinions. I'm actually arguing against understanding, I argue because people have failed to understand certain points of the show.

And the one thing that have always been the obstacle is culture. I firmly believe this anime isn't for the western culture. Although there's still some westerners who can see the brilliance of this story.

This story was written in a very asian flavour, actually its entirely Japanese. It has all aspects of Japanese culture, their thirst for fantasy and the yearning for something out of the ordinary.

There's a reason why the set of novels the anime originated from never appeared in the western side of the globe. There's a reason why this show, this anime, this story is in Japan and parts of Asia.

This story is not for most westerners, but it resonates with Asian culture.

Most westerners can't get the show because it originally wasn't intended for them.

Old 2006-09-07, 04:15   Link #1718
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
I don't understand what you're saying. How would it still require a thread to be created. The substance and scope of his post is only enough material to make as a reply to one of the existing threads on the Suzumiya Haruhi forum. If not, he could easily make a request to the mods to put up a thread for him.. he's already admitted that he likes the attention (though this doesn't necessarily mean he dislikes SuzuHaru for the attenion), I don't see any reason for your qualms.
I look at things this way: If there is a specific topic/subject that is to be discussed regarding a series, then it warrents its own thread.

Episodes threads exists because it specificallys deals with things that happen in the episode, image thread exists so that posters can retrieve/upload images regarding the series, novel/manga thread exists to give discussion regarding the novel/manga counterpart of a series. This thread is about the reasons of why people hate/like a series, so how exactly does that *not* warrent a thread?

Of course, I won't dismiss the possibility of puting the entire thread together with SHnY general discussion thread...but why was a subforum given to the anime in the first place? To have multiple threads to deal with specific subjects for discussion, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
This story is not for most westerners, but it resonates with Asian culture.
Really? I am asian, living in south-east asia, and it definitely didn't resonate with me. Maybe you should change asian to Japanese.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 04:20   Link #1719
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
Really? I am asian, living in south-east asia, and it definitely didn't resonate with me. Maybe you should change asian to Japanese.
Seeing how hot the anime is in Japan and not the rest of the world, one can argue and say that its specifically for Japan.

The rest of the world who resonated with the show are people who has resonated with the various genres it contains.

Old 2006-09-07, 04:45   Link #1720
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Alot of the references won't make sense to all but cultures influenced by Japanese traditions or are aware of those customs. I don't find them alienating but that would not be the case across Asia-pacific (it would be alot easier for Taiwanese and Korean to comprehend than say somebody from Indonesia)

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen