AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-07, 09:40   Link #321
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
Anyways, the studio was asking fans of Haruhi to post their votes on sample voices when Haruhi was first licensed. But judging from that experience, it just goes to show you that everyone who is into anime prefers the original Japanese dub more than the American dub.
Actually, the choices they gave us weren't all that great. It was more like 'pick the best one' rather than 'pick the one you like.'
Old 2007-10-08, 03:30   Link #322
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

oh yea forgot about that ordeal...
It was all sampled voices from various VAs.
But we did get the closest to what we could get that sounded almost like their original Japanese voices.
Old 2007-10-09, 09:03   Link #323
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I think the dub for Kyon rocks personally, seemed to fit him perfectly, both the japanese VA and the US VA got him perfectly. Haruhi though, she took a little getting used to, but was fine after the first episode, just took a little to get used to the different vocal ranges between the two VA's I think.
Old 2007-10-13, 03:13   Link #324
elbryan

Send a message via AIM to elbryan
I feel kinda the same way as hat and clogs, but after watching dub my minds set on the idea that dub kyon's voice will be the one that will be most memorable out of both of them.
Old 2007-10-15, 04:16   Link #325
Kiyoru

I really don't like the dubs. They make Haruhi sound so weird .__. I've heard better fan dubs -_-
Old 2007-11-07, 04:33   Link #326
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

with the last volume of Haruhi already released in the US and with it comes a "special trailer" of a new licensed show by Kadokawa Pictures USA and Bandai Entertainment, anyone got to see Wendee Lee's performance of "God Knows" and "Lost my music" in episode 12 of the english dub of Haruhi?
I thought it wasn't that bad...though in my opinion, I think she did a much better job of singing "Lost my music" than "God Knows".
Old 2007-11-07, 06:43   Link #327
Skullator
Ism

Any of you guys heard the clip of the English version of God Knows yet?

I know it's not much to go by, but honestly I don't like how it's sounding.
They added the "God Knows" lyric in a completely new spot?

If you havn't already, take a listen here..
http://one.revver.com/watch/437854/

(Sorry if this has already been posted ^^)
Old 2007-11-10, 20:24   Link #328
Shizzon
MEDIC!!

Location: Somewhere where anime is real and I watch reality on TV
Send a message via AIM to Shizzon
after watching the final dubbed verions of TMoHS, i was quite impressed. i was shocked when "God Knows.." and "Lost My Music" were also dubbed. i do have to admit though that they did a good job on these songs. i was not expecting this to happen since usually when a song falls in the middle of the episode, the just sub the song.
Old 2007-11-11, 23:51   Link #329
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Points for trying .... I was wondering if they were going to take a stab at song dubs.

Problem is I just fundamentally couldn't get enamored with Haruhi's english VA. The other VAs just seemed to fit their parts better.

They still need to let these people record their parts together though.

But with that I now have the complete set of SHnY in its cute/odd little LE box.
Old 2007-11-12, 02:09   Link #330
Jeiku

As far as the concert songs, while I felt Wendee Lee to be a bit odd-sounding in "God knows..." she managed to pick up nicely in "Lost my music," which imo has an easier tune to keep up anyway. But it was great to hear them dubbed.

Anyway, I recently bought the two remaining regular editions since I'm skimp on money, but I'm glad to have the entire first season at last. Today I blazed through all four discs' worth of bonus features, which was a lot more than I had anticipated. I'll have to get around to watching the English dub on volumes 3 and 4 as well (other than the ENOZ sequence), but I'm sure it won't disappoint.
Old 2007-11-12, 08:27   Link #331
Takuto19
Yarrrr

I was also suprised that they decided to dub those songs, the way they leave the OP/ED themes i thought they would have done the same with those 2 songs.

There actually not too bad though, worked well heh.
Old 2007-11-15, 22:13   Link #332
zoozoc
Anime is my drug....

ya, the songs were actually pretty good. The wording of God bless was a little weird, but thats probably because they had to lip sync a lot of it, while in lost my music there were simply shots of different scenery.

Also did anyone else crack up when they saw the blurred gundams flying out in the video game episode, that was so hilarious, mostly because i wasnt expecting it at all, then it was bleeped which made it even more funny.

Last edited by zoozoc; 2007-11-17 at 14:55.
Old 2007-11-18, 20:49   Link #333
Trogdor Jube
Back at it again

Im shocked they dubbed it.

First of all it sounded just a bit strange but it was decent. Lost my music was much better though. Must say this is one of the few animes that had a dub that I could watch from the beggining to end.

Also, I never noticed that Haruhi was sweating while she was singing.
Old 2007-11-29, 11:02   Link #334
Animexcel

The 2 songs Wendee Lee sang sounded.... I don't want to hurt her feelings but.... What would Simon Cowell say?
Old 2007-11-29, 13:22   Link #335
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animexcel View Post
The 2 songs Wendee Lee sang sounded.... I don't want to hurt her feelings but.... What would Simon Cowell say?
Simon Cowell wouldn't have enjoyed Aya's performance, either
Old 2007-11-29, 19:47   Link #336
Animexcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Simon Cowell wouldn't have enjoyed Aya's performance, either
lol maybe cuz I don't think he listens to Japanese music.
Old 2007-12-26, 07:47   Link #337
Jintor

I heard a couple of the dubs, and both dubs of the songs. I've got to say that the dub for Lost my Music was a lot better than the dub for God Knows, but both songs pale in comparison to Ayo's renditions. (Well, duh...) It's obvious Wendee's trying her best, but her voice for Haruhi just sounds so incredibly out of whack it hurts.

Of course, maybe it's because American voices in anime always seem to grate on my ears. I don't know.
Old 2007-12-26, 18:20   Link #338
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sometimes I think the problem is that american VAs end up sounding like what someone from another country thinks american dialog sounds like. So it sounds "wrong" both in dialog and execution. Perhaps if they got American-born japanese (or japanese fluent in english) to act the parts it might sound more "right" ... basically, its kind of like watching a Chinese film dubbed by British actors. You're watching Chinese culture, chinese environment, chinese principles ---- spoken with British accents. It just jars no matter what you do.

SHnY is less prone to this being a fairly sci-fi theme with a lot of western sensibility but the occasional "only in Japan" moment stands out even more.

The above is mostly my speculation of the moment because I'm still scratching my head about what it is that makes dubbing such a mess. My main theory has more to do with the VAs recording alone in booths rather than working together.
Old 2007-12-26, 19:06   Link #339
Jintor

I think that might be right. They don't really seem to interact as well. On the other hand, the thing that is most jarring to my ears is probably the American accents coming from a Japanese School Student - Kyon's voice is about the only one that doesn't really really hurt me. Haruhi's in particular gets on my nerves.

I'm still going to go out and get the boxset, though. I can't resist extras.
Old 2007-12-26, 19:52   Link #340
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
I think that might be right. They don't really seem to interact as well. On the other hand, the thing that is most jarring to my ears is probably the American accents coming from a Japanese School Student - Kyon's voice is about the only one that doesn't really really hurt me. Haruhi's in particular gets on my nerves.

I'm still going to go out and get the boxset, though. I can't resist extras.
What bothers me about Kyon's English voice is that I associate that voice with Tales of Symphonia's Regal Bryant... a distinctly un-Kyon character.
Closed Thread