AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-06, 04:47   Link #2041
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

Two of the most possible choices for Eiji to cancel are probably Natural and PCP. Natural, with the reasons already stated in the chapter. But for PCP, chances are Eiji realized that for it to get an anime is probably close to none, so he would cancel it and take the 'blame' for canceling a well-running manga so that Ashirogi Muto could have another shot at making a anime-able manga.
Old 2011-06-06, 21:11   Link #2042
dickdatduck
(ﺧ益ﺨ)

I really don't think that Eiji is going to cancel anything. They made that way too obvious and drawn out for that to his real plans.
Old 2011-06-11, 00:37   Link #2043
Grey

Ohh, that's interesting. I didn't expect Niizuma to set up a challenge like that.

What a weird twist. But the motivation makes a lot of sense.
Old 2011-06-11, 00:54   Link #2044
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Saw that coming...

I'm not sure I like how they are always using Nizuma to carry the story like this. It seems he's always the one moving everyone else along. Oh well, should be a pretty interesting arc.
Old 2011-06-11, 04:30   Link #2045
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
i rlly hope they don't want to end the manga with this arc, igniting a flame in all the JUMP mangaka's hearts and all of the aiming to become even more super popular might be the "let's change JUMP together" thing they talked about in the very first chapters
Old 2011-06-11, 07:04   Link #2046
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
i rlly hope they don't want to end the manga with this arc, igniting a flame in all the JUMP mangaka's hearts and all of the aiming to become even more super popular might be the "let's change JUMP together" thing they talked about in the very first chapters
I don't think they will end it when there are other situations that had not been explored. (They can't end it without Mashiro marrying Azuki nor Takagi and Kaya having a baby)
Old 2011-06-12, 04:03   Link #2047
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

This chapter really does bring out the problems of Jump: Ending a popular series; Eiji clearly wants to end his series yet Jump doesn't want to because it's still popular. Crow might have been dragging already despite having stable popularity. It's a current problem today (BLEACH IS DRAGGING WAY TOO LONG). Actually I see Crow as more of a One Piece where in he can decide when to end his series because he has an ending in mind already.

This problem is the polar opposite of having interesting series that get cancelled way too early.

I definitely think Bakuman is the voices of the Mangaka especially with this chapter.
Old 2011-06-12, 06:18   Link #2048
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
This chapter really does bring out the problems of Jump: Ending a popular series; Eiji clearly wants to end his series yet Jump doesn't want to because it's still popular. Crow might have been dragging already despite having stable popularity. It's a current problem today (BLEACH IS DRAGGING WAY TOO LONG). Actually I see Crow as more of a One Piece where in he can decide when to end his series because he has an ending in mind already.

This problem is the polar opposite of having interesting series that get cancelled way too early.

I definitely think Bakuman is the voices of the Mangaka especially with this chapter.
Voice?
More like a sarcastic rant if you ask me.
Too many manga had fallen into this trap.
Dragon ball, Hokuto no Ken, Yu Yu Hakusho, HunterXHunter, etc.
Togashi really hated it and when he had his other pet project Level E canceled it was the last straw.
I believe a lot of people remember how last part of HunterXHunter became.
I believe some were just the names and Togashi just refused to write. He was one of the biggest names that was against the Jump system.
Old 2011-06-12, 20:26   Link #2049
Excelion

If PCP does attain some #1s, I wouldn't be surprised if this arc was used as a lead-in to PCP getting an anime anyway.

With talk of Kaya wanting a baby, the cancel one series card, and Eiji at #1, I think we're on the tail-end of this story. I too think the manga will end with Azuki and Mashiro getting married and the birth of Kaya/Takagi's child. The baby is essentially the ultimate happy end for those two. Before that, they didn't really have a special event of their own to pair alongside the marriage. They'll probably wait to have the kid until they get the anime though, which I assume would happen within the next couple years. Then again, this series moves so quickly...
Old 2011-06-13, 05:21   Link #2050
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Voice?
More like a sarcastic rant if you ask me.
Too many manga had fallen into this trap.
Dragon ball, Hokuto no Ken, Yu Yu Hakusho, HunterXHunter, etc.
Togashi really hated it and when he had his other pet project Level E canceled it was the last straw.
I believe a lot of people remember how last part of HunterXHunter became.
I believe some were just the names and Togashi just refused to write. He was one of the biggest names that was against the Jump system.
HxH is still up in the air as far as I recall, since Togashi hasn't come out of his haitus. I still wonder what the deal with that is, I really love his manga, some of the best ever made. It would make sense if he had refused to write out the rest of the manga at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelion View Post
If PCP does attain some #1s, I wouldn't be surprised if this arc was used as a lead-in to PCP getting an anime anyway.

With talk of Kaya wanting a baby, the cancel one series card, and Eiji at #1, I think we're on the tail-end of this story. I too think the manga will end with Azuki and Mashiro getting married and the birth of Kaya/Takagi's child. The baby is essentially the ultimate happy end for those two. Before that, they didn't really have a special event of their own to pair alongside the marriage. They'll probably wait to have the kid until they get the anime though, which I assume would happen within the next couple years. Then again, this series moves so quickly...
It would be quite nice to see PCP getting an anime at the end. It would be only natural considering other contreversial manga also got an anime in the past. It already got proposals after all, and it was simply the edito-in-chief who turned them down. There's no way he could do that again if PCP takes first place at some stage.
Old 2011-06-13, 19:11   Link #2051
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I wish the mangas that are presented in Bakumen (Crow, PCP, etc) gets real serialization and real anime on real TV. I love to see Crow though...
Old 2011-06-13, 20:21   Link #2052
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
I wish the mangas that are presented in Bakumen (Crow, PCP, etc) gets real serialization and real anime on real TV. I love to see Crow though...
Agreed. I'd personally like to see Aoki's first manga along with the ones you mentioned. I always thought Bakuman was a great way for the mangaka to flesh out his own ideas and making it part of the storyline. After Bakuman ends I'd like for one of these to be picked up.
Old 2011-06-13, 20:30   Link #2053
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post

eh...

while JUMP system have it's problem, ending popular series isn't one of them. If a series was popular, it won't get canceled. (It is a popularity poll system)

You're better off saying that it's problem resulting some critically acclaimed or at least intrigued series to be canceled.

But the biggest problem lies that the industry is facing a weird problem in that the sell of tankoban is growing or stay the same level but the magazine circulation is in constant decline. In addition, the age of tankoban buyers are increasing.

As result you have 2 distinct group of readers that are in different age group. Under 20 in magazine readers and over 20 in Tankoban buyers. Because of that, A title that tankoban readers finds interesting and have potential might be boring to the magazine reader. and that is the cause of the problem.

Unfortunately the current system only takes reader poll of magazine into consideration and that cause certain potentially interesting title to get canceled.
Old 2011-06-13, 22:18   Link #2054
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
eh...

while JUMP system have it's problem, ending popular series isn't one of them. If a series was popular, it won't get canceled. (It is a popularity poll system)

You're better off saying that it's problem resulting some critically acclaimed or at least intrigued series to be canceled.

But the biggest problem lies that the industry is facing a weird problem in that the sell of tankoban is growing or stay the same level but the magazine circulation is in constant decline. In addition, the age of tankoban buyers are increasing.

As result you have 2 distinct group of readers that are in different age group. Under 20 in magazine readers and over 20 in Tankoban buyers. Because of that, A title that tankoban readers finds interesting and have potential might be boring to the magazine reader. and that is the cause of the problem.

Unfortunately the current system only takes reader poll of magazine into consideration and that cause certain potentially interesting title to get canceled.
You're reading it the wrong way.
It's even if the author wants to quit the Jump system will not allow it if the series is popular based on the contract so the author has very little say in ending a series.
Old 2011-06-13, 23:00   Link #2055
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
It's even if the author wants to quit the Jump system will not allow it if the series is popular based on the contract so the author has very little say in ending a series.
the mangaka can always go the HxH route and stop writing for the series. Once the contract is over he can move on to another publisher.
Old 2011-06-13, 23:52   Link #2056
Undertaker

Quote:
But that not the reason for a series to get canceled, right?

I'm not talking about series that were being forced to extend, that part I agree to an a certain point.

I'm talking about the part where ahelo said that JUMP system cause cancellation of popular series which is just not true at all based on premises of the system itself.

As for the issue on force extension. It really is case by case. In majority, there are two types of contracts. Similar to contracts signed by music artists, the first type is by how many works (series) will being done, the second type is by the years. (ie. how long with you serialize in magazine)

Writers in most cases, especially the big name mangaka like the ones you named, can still say no to extension. In most of those case they got talked into doing it, editors can't force them to extend if they truly didn't want to.

They can claim they were forced, but unless they give their consent, there is nothing the editorial can do. Their real power comes in cancellation of a series and a potential of blacklisting certain individuals. In both cases, established mangaka will not get effected due to their popularity and profit potential. (they can always jump ship)

For example, in DB's case, even though Toriyama did state that he originally planned on ending after Namek Saga and again in Cell Saga he also acknowledged that He was talked into extend, but not forced. Think about it, because if it was forced without his consent, DB would still be on-going past Boo, considering at the end of DB's manga run it is still one of the most popular manga at time and it's international response has just started to explode.

Another would be Slam Dunk, perhaps even more popular than DB at the end of it run, (at least in manga side) and JUMP wasn't able to convince Inoue into extend the series. Inoue himself stated that he ended the series because he can't think of anything to draw after that last game. If JUMP editor can force extension on everyone, then why isn't Slam Dunk being extended? I mean, Inoue was a rookie mangaka with just one short serial (12 chapters) when he first started Slam Dunk and Slam Dunk end at the peak of its popularity.

Than we have HxH. Togashi smartly sign his contract that affectively made HxH an irregular serial and there is nothing JUMP can to unless they decide to cancel the series. He might be against JUMP system and claim he was forced extend, but it's his own fault to not putting his foot down and say no like Inoue did with Slam Dunk back during his Yu Yu Hakusho time.

Another would be the current manga king Oda Eiichiro.

Once Oda achieved his status he also reworked his contract so that his editor will not and can not interfere with his story element. (He mentioned that in one of the data books. That the only requirement for his editors in not interfering with his story.)

Either way, While I agree "forced" extension of series results in some series become less critically acclaim, but they don't often results in decrease of popularity. After all they won't attempt to extend an unpopular series to begin with.

The bottom line is that even in force extension, they need to have a mangaka's consent. It might be a problem for rookies if they say no, but not for established mangaka even if that is their first work.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2011-06-14 at 00:24.
Old 2011-06-17, 09:38   Link #2057
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

ch136 p1 made me think that it'll probably be Hiramaru to randomly overtake Eiji around week 16-18^^
and hipster Mashiro + Shuujin "gotta make it even less mainstream" or rather "we have to go deeper" xD
Old 2011-06-17, 11:40   Link #2058
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

What an awesome chapter. I was actually on the edge of my seat after every page. Such awesome tension.

Yet again, Hiramaru's scenes still the chapter.
Old 2011-06-17, 15:26   Link #2059
yura`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
What an awesome chapter. I was actually on the edge of my seat after every page. Such awesome tension.
Agreed! It's been a while since a Bakuman chapter got my blood pumping like that! Seeing the various mangaka up the ante was exciting. I hold a soft soft in my heart for our protagonists, but I'm still looking forward to see any of the other mangaka topple Eiji. And once again, Hiramaru's editor rulz.
Old 2011-06-17, 22:00   Link #2060
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Bakuman trying for number 1 spot in JUMP with this arc
i called it first.
Closed Thread

Tags
manga, shounen