Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-08-02, 05:15   Link #1
toru310

Wireless router setup

I just bought a linksys router
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124284

And I have no idea how I can set it up. If I can remember it correctly they said I should not install the disk that came with the router. So how can I set this up, putting passwords and everything. By the way I'm also an active player in garena do I have to configure the router or something to make it work. One time before I can't see any local games with my old cord router so I ditched it and went with modem.

-Thanks
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 08:48   Link #2
Wervy
Cutely Pervy

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WRT54G2 is the product page, you can find the user manual there. If you dont have much exprerence setting up routers though, I dont see any reason why using the cd would do harm.

I think the problem you mention has to possibly do with setting up port fowarding. It would basicly be a problem were the online component of your games dont seem to connect.
Old 2009-08-02, 10:22   Link #3
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Most routers configure using 192.168.1.1 and user/pass admin with most linksys routers. Also, enabling uPnP will reduce the need of using port forwarding since it autoconfig port fordwarding by the program.
Old 2009-08-02, 11:37   Link #4
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Ow. Sounds like you need Cori's Guide to Owning a Linksys Router.

Install and set up the router according to the included instructions. This may work at first, but eventually a problem will crop up. The router doesn't forward ports properly, or it constantly drops wireless broadcast.

Follow this simple three-step plan and you'll be experiencing wireless connectivity of the highest quality!

Step 1: Disconnect your Linksys router.
Step 2: Discard your Linksys router. Preferably with a blunt, heavy object.
Step 3: Travel to your nearest electronics retailer and buy a Netgear, like you should have done in the first place.

^^;
Old 2009-08-02, 11:45   Link #5
sa547
*Author

^
Ah, come on, the TS just bought the router brand-new.

@TS: Since it's your first time having a wireless router, you'll really need that CD that came with it to get a beginner's tour on how to install and operate it.

Furthermore as you've mentioned LAN cables, CDRKing has some small-length pre-crimped CAT5 cables available (starting at 1-meter lengths).

Finally, check the Garena website on how to make sure your GG client and router configured for gaming. Also consult your Linksys manual on port forwarding, if needed.
Old 2009-08-02, 15:51   Link #6
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Another thing you can also do is install DD-WRT onto the router, although it's pretty tricky to install and you can only install the mirco version, but it will make your router more reliable since the stock firmware sucks and most of the time have problems with stability and wireless signal strength.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G2

Port Forwarding can be set if you log into the administration page with 192.168.1.1. Also, I suggest turning on uPnP (Universal Plug and Play) so you will have less problems with port forwarding with Bittorrent when using DHCP to obtain your IP.
Old 2009-08-22, 08:16   Link #7
toru310

I just read other sites about how to port forward routers and I have some idea on how to set them up..but first I need to know how can I save the text in the dos file? you know the one in Start> Run > Command etc..I someone posted it here before but it was a long time ago so I don't remember..

Thanks..
Old 2009-08-22, 09:50   Link #8
toru310

Forget about my problem ^ I figured it out by my self

So anyway I kind of got stock in my portforwarding...
I followed this person's guide http://ph.garena.com/forum/viewthrea...&extra=&page=1 and so far I nailed my static ip and stuff..But when I started in the portforwarding I kind of got stock because this guy installed the software..so my screen is different to he's..

he's

Mine

So when I insert the to Start and to end..I got lost there...
Old 2009-08-22, 10:14   Link #9
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by toru310 View Post
Forget about my problem ^ I figured it out by my self

So anyway I kind of got stock in my portforwarding...
I followed this person's guide http://ph.garena.com/forum/viewthrea...&extra=&page=1 and so far I nailed my static ip and stuff..But when I started in the portforwarding I kind of got stock because this guy installed the software..so my screen is different to he's..

he's

Mine

So when I insert the to Start and to end..I got lost there...
I figured it out again...

I followed the guide but garena is not cooperating with me...So weird..the user name is PCX(192.168.1.x) and for the password how will I know?
Old 2009-08-22, 14:31   Link #10
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I suggest turning on uPnP instead of fooling around with Port Forwarding, because it's a big pain to get it to fully work. uPnP automatically port forwarding when the program requests it (such as a Bittorrent program). There should already be a option on your firmware to enable it.
Old 2009-08-25, 20:08   Link #11
dutchviper

sorry to say read the books that where in the box
dutchviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 04:18   Link #12
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchviper View Post
sorry to say read the books that where in the box
Sorry for the late reply..I was doing Hardcore MMO so..

Hmm in my wifi desktop my internet lags for a couple of seconds then resumes...It kind of became a pain when playing online games...can port forwarding fix this prob? if not whats a solution for it?? or is it because its on wireless internet?