AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-10-03, 06:36   Link #1
toru310

Leaving my home country I need a heads up :)

HI, I'll be leaving my home country because I'll be taking part in a internship program in Florida. My country(Asia side) is a torrent downloading free country(LOL) so downloading at home is safe. Now I heard that in the US torrent downloading is illegal and you can even get black listed and can even sue you.

So my question is am I not allowed to download torrent fansubs if so..not fair I don't really mind not downloading games but not being able to download anime is like..ouch!

I hope someone can answer my question thank you
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 06:51   Link #2
Yuno
Balanced Diet

A lot of American fans do so anyway. I am currently looking at my Utorrent download of Fate Stay Night Movie and the vast majourity of peers are American. Those restrictions are put into place, but that doesn't stop internet patrons. There is also a thread available on the topic here: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=97859
Yuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 09:30   Link #3
toru310

Thanks for the heads up
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 09:55   Link #4
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
I never knew that torrenting in Asia is legal... But yes, in the states torrents fall under the category of illegal downloads most of the time.
Old 2010-10-03, 11:45   Link #5
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
for movies and music, it's smarter to use a proxy program like Tor when torrenting because occationally the Motion Picture Association of America (usually referred to as MPAA) will decide to make an example of someone and sue the heck out of them for downloading. I have yet to hear of someone who was sued for downloading anime (but you might be treading on thin ice if you download one that is already licensed in USA).
if during your internship you'll be living at a university, you'll want to be extra careful. Most Unis do keep track of in and out traffic on their networks
Spoiler for E-mail my Uni sent around:

For me it hasn't been a huge problem since I have don't have too much time anymore to watch anime and movies, and when I do I usually stream it...
If I really want something torrented I'll have an off campus friend do it for me.
If you insist on torrenting on a school network, if you set up a SSH tunnel (don't ask me how to do it, I just know it works) I've heard it's pretty hard to get caught.

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote