AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-08-24, 14:06   Link #1
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Kuro no Hiera Glaphicos

Light Novel by Urashino Akihiko. Art by Miyukiruria.

Cover illustrations and links to the actual books can be found here:
黒鋼の魔紋修復士 1
黒鋼の魔紋修復士 2
黒鋼の魔紋修復士 3
黒鋼の魔紋修復士 4
黒鋼の魔紋修復士 5

Volume 6 is out on 5/30/2012.

Official website is here.

---

Has anyone ever read this? Reading through Volume 1 right now...pretty interesting. The simplest comparison that could possibly be made for the lead characters would be Saito and Louise from Zero no Tsukaima (simplest, barest, most recognizable comparison, I'd say), except so much better and far more convincing. The way the world setting plays out is more reminiscent of a western fantasy novel, for some reason, and I find it intriguing.

Just curious to see if anyone else is into this.

...At the very least, the art is really pretty.

Last edited by Hemisphere; 2013-05-09 at 02:11. Reason: Release information and links update
Hemisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 14:14   Link #2
blackwhite67
Banned

Is there a premise you can give us?
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 14:50   Link #3
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

I don't really trust my translation skills all that well, plus I don't believe in spoiling people with summaries, but let's see...

For starters, the world is pretty Victorian in its appearance and design.

The premise is that Valeria Costacurta, a 16-year old girl from a formerly prestigious noble family, has been chosen to become a Dominas (? the term is 神巫 [ドミナス]) (equivalent to being "God's Wife"), due to her outstanding natural ability with magic. Magic in this world is via crests, which are more like tattoos, and only the most promising get to be picked as a Dominas; also, only one in ten people can use magic. Valeria accepted her role as a Dominas in order to revive her family's noble status, and she wants to achieve this with her own strength - this is her lifelong dream, and to her, the first step to accomplishing this dream just came her way, so obviously she's very much eager to take on the role. Despite whatever objection her father raises.

While every other Dominas, being maidens, are paired off with female partners (called Hiera Glaphicos) in order to protect their purity (as they are "God's Wives"), in her case, Valeria's Hiera Glaphicos is the young man known as Dimitar Richternach. He comes off as foul-mouthed, brash and tactless according to Valeria; Valeria, on the other hand, is viewed by Dimitar as haughty, overbearing, and completely clueless about the world. Dimitar's stepmom, Orvieto Richternach, assures Valeria that he will never lay a hand on her - because Dimitar only has eyes for older women. Ha ha ha.

Anyways, their first assignment is a secret mission - to investigate a supposed rebellious uprising in a nearby city, except things don't go as they were supposed to, and a simple scouting mission quickly turns sour.

I really have to say that the world building and the character interactions are what sells this to me. There are pages scattered around, explaining tidbits of the world here and there like eyecatches, while the interactions of the character feel natural and are engaging to read. You can really get a feel of their distinct personalities from the way they act and exchange dialogue.

Last edited by Hemisphere; 2012-08-24 at 15:02.
Old 2012-08-24, 17:14   Link #4
blackwhite67
Banned

Does Dimitar have some secret past and does he have some secret skill or power?
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 00:41   Link #5
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

The first volume starts off with Dimitar nearly getting choked to death by his mother. And Valeria finds his magic crest unfamiliar. So yes, I'd say both applies.
Old 2012-08-25, 01:48   Link #6
for3ver
The Lost Child

eh... did the cover kind of remind you of hyouketsu kyoukai no eden? or something rather >>
Old 2012-08-25, 05:20   Link #7
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by for3ver View Post
eh... did the cover kind of remind you of hyouketsu kyoukai no eden? or something rather >>
氷結鏡界のエデン? Not at all, no.
Old 2012-08-25, 05:30   Link #8
for3ver
The Lost Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhjegel View Post
氷結鏡界のエデン? Not at all, no.
hoorah! I'm becoming senile... at 17!

oh.. and your right.. the art is quite nice... (the eyes are mesmerizing and shiny >>)

oh.. and while im at it.. what genre's does the novel have?
Old 2012-08-25, 05:33   Link #9
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by for3ver View Post
hoorah! I'm becoming senile... at 17!

oh.. and your right.. the art is quite nice... (the eyes are mesmerizing and shiny >>)

oh.. and while im at it.. what genre's does the novel have?
Fantasy with magic and political intrigue. I'm reading through the protagonist's interrogation of an enemy grunt right now. Awesome.
Old 2012-08-25, 05:38   Link #10
for3ver
The Lost Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhjegel View Post
Fantasy with magic and political intrigue. I'm reading through the protagonist's interrogation of an enemy grunt right now. Awesome.
sounds interesting...

does he play the good cop or bad cop

i pray the latter ^^
Old 2012-09-29, 09:57   Link #11
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Kuro no Hiera Glaphicos: La Cronica del Ahmad -蜜月の終わり、雨の日に-

Short story by Ureshino Akihiko for Kuro no Hiera Glaphicos, published on FB Online. For those who follow the series, they might be interested to check this out.

Last edited by Hemisphere; 2012-09-29 at 10:44. Reason: Fixed the name
Old 2012-09-29, 10:21   Link #12
Insane
Banned

Kinda reminds me of Densetsu no Yuusha, albeit with clueless heroine. BTW, do we get a badass hero here? If we do, then count me in.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-22, 23:27   Link #13
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Update: Kuro no Hiera Glaphicos: La Cronica del Ahmad -蜜月の終わり、雨の日に-'s latter chapter is up and available, courtesy of Ureshino Akihiko.

黒鋼の魔紋修復士4 will be on sale November 30. Can't wait to get it so I can finally read Volume 3.
Old 2013-04-14, 01:50   Link #14
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I'm thinking of maybe picking this up...how's it?
Old 2013-04-14, 02:12   Link #15
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

I talked about this series at some length in another thread, and to make it easier for people, I should post what I mentioned over here as well. My apologies for the length, in advance.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

If you will, allow me to add some more points in earnest: more characters get introduced as the volumes go on, and eventually the story's main protagonists become Di+Valeria and Jeffren+Lucius, with the former handling the politics world views and the latter getting down and dirty with the actual issue.

Valeria's characterization is flawed at the start, and she does go through gradual character development - key word being, gradual. If I had to put it in numerical values (despite how abstract this concept seems), it's like she gains 10% character development with every volume. She doesn't suddenly change character overnight, and I find it interesting being able to read and track her gradual growth. Her slow warming-up to Dimitar is also pivotal to this; as she slowly becomes more accommodating of him, she also begins to slowly take his criticisms of her to heed.

The series really follows its in-universe logic very faithfully, with its elements of; only few people can use magic; huge amounts of concentration and stamina are needed to make full use of magic; it takes a lot of training and effort to really make full use of magic; while magic knights can have multiple magic crests on their bodies, using multiple magic is next to impossible; Dominus are capable of using multiple magic at the same time due to their training from hell in their youth; etc. In fact, these are heavily emphasized, reiterated and made into a major plot point in Volume 2.

The illustrations...hot damn. Allow me to say that Miyukiruria's art really improves as the books go on, and the illustrations in Volumes 3 onwards really shine. They also don't conflict with the scenes they're presenting.

I'd say it's a refreshing series if you're looking for something that's not a cookie-cutter series, but for those people offended by the main character being a jerk (or not being celibate), this might not be for them.
Old 2013-04-14, 02:42   Link #16
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Is the intrigue really psychological in that you don't know what their real intentions are?
Old 2013-04-14, 02:49   Link #17
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Not really, no. It's just refreshing that antagonists are being antagonists by virtue of being on the opposing side, and not villains for being baby-eating monstrosities. Their goals are rather predictable. It doesn't delve into that psychological, "I know you know I know" level of trying to outgambit each other, and the confrontations are rather straightforward.

That honor (of not knowing what their real intentions are) goes to メドウ; she's the one with ulterior motives, using the antagonists as means for her ends. All that's revealed so far is that she wishes to shake up the status quo by pushing the countries involved in the alliance in some (magic) arms race.

EDIT: My bad, I forgot about Jeffren, the crown prince. Jeffren's the one who pushes forward plans in a sort of vague, haphazard manner, but it's only until the end when all the pieces come together that his actions finally make sense. Does that qualify? My apologies if I haven't addressed your question, or if my answers come off vague.

Last edited by Hemisphere; 2013-04-14 at 03:03.
Old 2013-04-14, 03:07   Link #18
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Yeah I see. That means it's the more traditional, you read this for the characters kind of story?
Old 2013-04-14, 04:06   Link #19
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

For the most part, yes, but I find the setting interesting as well. It gives me faint pre-WW1 vibes for some reason. That and the characters aren't as cut and dried compared to other contemporary titles helps a lot, in my opinion at least. And the story has a fairly serious vibe to it; not dark and edgy serious, but it doesn't clown around a lot (little to no shounen tropes employed).
Old 2013-04-21, 23:43   Link #20
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Art looks familiar o_O. I'll go poke around if i remember.

Tags
fantasy, light novel, seinen