Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-02-12, 17:54   Link #341
roninhobbit
Roboguzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripfag View Post
They all ran in kid's magazines. And the most Deathnote could ever reach for is PG-13. It's not really an Adult comic.

By the way, I read all three of them.

EDIT: Also, real mature on the reputation thing. I would be so sad if it mattered.
I'm not trying to attack your reputation, it just seems that you are trying to be inciteful as opposed to insightful (yes, I know inciteful isn't a real word.)

With your sig being 'All anime are made for either kids or nerds', should I think something different?

But hey, I'll play along. Death Note, like Bleach and so many others, started in Weekly Shonen Jump. Target towards young men, sure, but hardly 'kids'. I think this is where we're getting a little confusion here.

I'm not saying Death Note is hard R, I think you're right in saying PG 13...that puts it in the same vein as say, Lost or Heroes on American TV.

But for some reason it seems like you are suggesting Death Note = Hamtaro.
roninhobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 18:02   Link #342
Tripfag
/co/ is superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninhobbit View Post
I'm not trying to attack your reputation, it just seems that you are trying to be inciteful as opposed to insightful (yes, I know inciteful isn't a real word.)

With your sig being 'All anime are made for either kids or nerds', should I think something different?

But hey, I'll play along. Death Note, like Bleach and so many others, started in Weekly Shonen Jump. Target towards young men, sure, but hardly 'kids'. I think this is where we're getting a little confusion here.

I'm not saying Death Note is hard R, I think you're right in saying PG 13...that puts it in the same vein as say, Lost or Heroes on American TV.

Compare, say, Hamtaro, Freakazoid, and, I dunno, 90's X-Men comics. Hamtaro is hard G. Freakazoid has some tongue in cheek jokes that mostly adults would get. And the X-Men comics had all sorts of death and mayhem.

The thing is, they were all made for kids. Just because it reaches for something doesn't change the fact that it is what it is.
Tripfag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 18:13   Link #343
DetectiveA

Send a message via MSN to DetectiveA
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Providence View Post
here's one way to respond to that certain question (true story):

friend: isn't anime for kids? (he said something like that, methinks)

me(reading manga without looking at him): it makes it easier for me to lure kids in my room.

me and friend: *silence*

a few seconds later, i can no longer resist and start laughing. he laughs in turn, then asks the real reason why i watch/read anime/manga. can't remember what i said, i probably gave him some not-so-interesting reason, but everything else passed through without any other weirdness.

the bottom line: a less-serious/important response makes a great ice-breaker.
LoL

Guy asks "whats anime? and isn't that for kids?"
You answere :You have many questions, and although the process has altered your consciousness, you remain irrevocably human. Ergo, some of my answers you will understand, and some of them you will not. Concordantly, while your first question may be the most pertinent, you may or may not realize it is also the most irrelevant. There are levels of questions I am prepared to accept. However, the relevant issue is whether or not you are ready to accept my justification. And keep in mind you didn't ask the question to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand *why* you made it. Anime is not for kids, "now think wisely how you are going to process this information."
DetectiveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 18:33   Link #344
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninhobbit View Post

I think he's just voicing his own opinion.
Though by using a sig like that on a large anime community like AnimeSuki (whose members are not entirely composed of kids), he's going to attract some attention.

On a last note, some anime do exceed the 13+ rating, Elfen Lied is an anime with a Mature rating (17+) on it's DVD's.

http://www.animecornerstore.com/elfenlied.html

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=4148
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 18:43   Link #345
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
regarding Tripfag's sig... well, it's pretty hard to take seriously when there's a pokemon running around his avatar.

Quote:
The thing is, they were all made for kids. Just because it reaches for something doesn't change the fact that it is what it is.
that's a bit too subjective, or something. it's like saying that movies were made for kids and grand theft auto was made for kids. well, i'm not too sure, just woke up and my brain's all fuzzy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetectiveA View Post
LoL

Guy asks "whats anime? and isn't that for kids?"
You answere :You have many questions, and although the process has altered your consciousness, you remain irrevocably human. Ergo, some of my answers you will understand, and some of them you will not. Concordantly, while your first question may be the most pertinent, you may or may not realize it is also the most irrelevant. There are levels of questions I am prepared to accept. However, the relevant issue is whether or not you are ready to accept my justification. And keep in mind you didn't ask the question to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand *why* you made it. Anime is not for kids, "now think wisely how you are going to process this information."
uhh...
aka Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 18:50   Link #346
Tripfag
/co/ is superior.

Quote:
that's a bit too subjective, or something. it's like saying that movies were made for kids and grand theft auto was made for kids. well, i'm not too sure, just woke up and my brain's all fuzzy.
Well... maybe if the movie was on a kid's channel, or if GTA was about a teenage boy on a grand magical adventure...

Groove Theft Adventure. I'd pay for that.
Old 2008-02-12, 19:00   Link #347
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
Quote:
Well... maybe if the movie was on a kid's channel, or if GTA was about a teenage boy on a grand magical adventure...

Groove Theft Adventure. I'd pay for that.
umm... so you're saying that because something is placed in a television channel for kids, and not because of anythingg else, decides if something is for kids or not?

mm, i'm still a bit sleepy so i'm not sure if i'm being correct in what i'm trying to say~
Old 2008-02-12, 19:47   Link #348
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

~Tripfaq go watch the last episode of Berserk or the frist 2 episodes of Claymore if u still think that Anime is for kids then u need help
Death Note never was considered an adult comic and a kid would have to watch a single episode of Ghost in the shell 5+ times to understand it
Old 2008-02-12, 19:58   Link #349
Tripfag
/co/ is superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
~Tripfaq go watch the last episode of Berserk or the frist 2 episodes of Claymore if u still think that Anime is for kids then u need help
Death Note never was considered an adult comic and a kid would have to watch a single episode of Ghost in the shell 5+ times to understand it
I never said all anime were made for kids.
Old 2008-02-12, 19:59   Link #350
King Lycan
*IT Support

what does ur sig say
Old 2008-02-12, 20:00   Link #351
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Quote:
I never said all anime were made for kids.
your sig says: All anime are made for either kids or nerds.
Old 2008-02-12, 20:01   Link #352
Tripfag
/co/ is superior.

Quote:
your sig says: All anime are made for either kids or nerds.
Quote:
either
Case rested.
Old 2008-02-12, 20:04   Link #353
King Lycan
*IT Support

So what is ur definition of Nerd
Old 2008-02-12, 20:09   Link #354
Tripfag
/co/ is superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
So what is ur definition of Nerd
Go a few pages back.
Old 2008-02-12, 20:14   Link #355
King Lycan
*IT Support

could not find it
Old 2008-02-12, 20:17   Link #356
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

mm, this is getting silly and semi-off-topic, i think. besides, if anime is for kids it's basically a moot point, eh?
Old 2008-02-12, 20:41   Link #357
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I'm going to steal WanderingKnight's argument and apply it here. Who cares? As long as you like it, it doesn't matter what others feel about it.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 20:46   Link #358
Tripfag
/co/ is superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I'm going to steal WanderingKnight's argument and apply it here. Who cares? As long as you like it, it doesn't matter what others feel about it.
Quoted, for truth.
Old 2008-02-12, 20:58   Link #359
King Lycan
*IT Support

~Tripfaq i take it u dont watch anime
if so why are u here
Old 2008-02-14, 21:30   Link #360
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -boiledliddo- View Post
That's very true. Trying to convince people is hard and you'd most probably be inviting an argument. My workplace is composed of people in their mid 20's and early 30's and obviuosly most of them aren't anime fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
One thing I'd like to add is...

A lot of folks here have suggested that the best way to overcome the "Isn't anime for kids?" question is to tell people about anime shows like Death Note, Elfen Lied, and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.

Using such shows to try to (rightly) convince folks that anime isn't just for kids is a risky gamble.

There is a good chance that you'll convince them that, indeed, it's not just for kids... but there's also a good chance that, well, you'll end up making them think that anime's sick and weird (keep in mind that if they think that anime's for kids, they probably have a strong cultural bias that would also make the premises of these three particular anime shows seem sick and weird to them).

I don't think that this is an improvement over "it's just for kids."
WINNERS.

Seriously, I think some of you guys and gals are getting waaaay too defensive.

As someone who watches pro wrestling (rather obvious by my sig), a form of entertainment that usually will have people look at you as if you were mildly retarded, honestly it just kind of comes with the territory of being a fan.

And if I were trying to convince you (figurative) that wrestling was not bad by showing you one match, (or that rap were not bad by having you listen to one song) chances are you'd pay me lip service, say "yep... okay" and go about still thinking I'm encephaliticlly-challenged.

Is anime for kids? Some (probably many) are, some are not.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote