Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-01-09, 19:51   Link #1
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

ADV New Type will Cease Publication

Taken from ANN

New Type Magazine will cease publication in Feb, though they did not specify if it was the Feb issue or March issue.

Wow Anime is hurting this year.
How long before ADV kills Manga again.

Edit : The magazine will be called PiQ, and it covers more than Anime. No further info given.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.

Last edited by Forbin; 2008-01-10 at 14:24. Reason: Update!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 20:18   Link #2
Irvine
Awesome Member

*reads title*

*Continues to browse forum as if nothing happened*
Irvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 20:56   Link #3
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Humm... that is rather sad, must be there high price per issue ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 23:26   Link #4
Irvine
Awesome Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Humm... that is rather sad, must be there high price per issue ^^
More like, people such as myself, saying "Why pay for something I could get for free on the internet?"
Irvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 23:41   Link #5
Kamui4356
Aria Company

They did say they were replacing it with another magazine, so it could be licensing costs of the Newtype name. At least that seems to be the speculation in the thread in the ANN forums.

I never really read Newtype USA. The cost was just a bit too high per issue and I frankly I find magazines obsolete. I get all of my anime news online, hell I get most of my news of all kinds online. It tends to be more timely than print media.
Old 2008-01-09, 23:45   Link #6
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

That mag had little substance for such a asking price, I say good riddance...as time went by they actually kept on removing more stuff from the mag anyways.
Manji Midou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 00:29   Link #7
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

Noo! I was going to start a new subscription too!

The economy is hurting overall in general, and entertainment is usually the first casualty.

I know I've cut back buying a lot of anime goods this past year.

I did not renew my subscription to shojo beat though. I just don't read enough in my spare time.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 00:44   Link #8
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
Noo! I was going to start a new subscription too!

The economy is hurting overall in general, and entertainment is usually the first casualty.

I know I've cut back buying a lot of anime goods this past year.

I did not renew my subscription to shojo beat though. I just don't read enough in my spare time.
Same, since last September, i've stopped buying anime merchandise. I know I haven't bought a single artbook since last September. Plus Newtype didn't have much "persuading" swabs to sell it too. Megami, each publication has tons of posters. All Newtype comes with is free anime ep 1 previews, even they stopped doing that after people kept stealing all of the DVDs from the shrink wrap too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine View Post
More like, people such as myself, saying "Why pay for something I could get for free on the internet?"
I'm very sadden to hear someone say that. This kind of thinking will not push forward this kind of entertainment.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2008-01-10, 00:50   Link #9
LionsMane
Courageous Guardian

Send a message via AIM to LionsMane
I used to buy a lot of Newtype magazines when it had first come out. Eventually it occured to me that it just wasn't worth it anymore. I haven't bought any anime magazine for awhile now. I need to spend my money on other things. Newtype was quite expensive if I remember correctly.

The magazine just got worse and worse as it went it on. Though, I've been mad at ADV for awhile now when I used to once really like them.

I wonder what this other magazine will be? Or if they are simply trying to make the situation better and put off the release of another magazine for awhile? Either way it doesn't matter to me. As much as I like to read hard copies of things, anime information is just easier to access via internet.
Old 2008-01-10, 01:04   Link #10
jtrog

Big bummer for me. I usually bought about 6 issues a year, it kept my ps2 alive and out of the box. Now I guess I have to put the ps2 back in its box. Not much energy to play ps2 games any more so the free previews and such the dvd had they gave was useful. I got the chance to see if or not the english VA did good role-playing or if they just read the lines bad too on some.

Worst part is back in OCT. I subscribed for a year. Most of the insert centers were cool but stayed in the book. I got Kos-mos though and was encouraged to buy the entire english xenosaga the animation because of getting that Xenosaga insert in Nov. issue I think. The 'Clamp' writers articles were interesting as well. It was the clamp manga in the issues that got me to subscribe as it was...

Oh well, maybe the new magazine they are talking about will come in 4 flavors - Xbox360 disk / Ps 2 - ps 3 disk / and Wii format and have 3 or 4 Insert centers like Megami has. Thats about the best 'collectors' part anyway its got to have a 'Treasure'.

jtrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 01:42   Link #11
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

That sorry excuse for a magazine can finally be put to rest? Good riddance! The price they were asking per issue was ridiculous. Why learn about anime with a sum of money that I could put towards actually buying an anime
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 03:02   Link #12
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
They did say they were replacing it with another magazine, so it could be licensing costs of the Newtype name. At least that seems to be the speculation in the thread in the ANN forums.
Ironic, since ANN and possibly Icv2 is what killed ADV's magazine. The new one probably won't be of the same type. Testaments from the AnimeOnDVD forum seem to indicate that licensing is at a low for anything Japanese right now; the Japanese are desperate for American sales.

Sort of annoying that this magazine died; it didn't have great reach and wasn't a good promoter, but at least it did something. I'd have wished more strongly for VIZ Media's offensive SHOUNEN JUMP to have kicked the bucket instead.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 03:17   Link #13
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I had heard from a friend who sometimes read the issues at another friends hous that it was ultimately a way for ADV to hawk their newest wares in between advertisements and had little of the sense of purpose and feeling that the publisher was doing the fan a service that the Japanese version did. In fact, now that I think of it I popped open an issue of the magazine once to see a bit on Haruhi, and that's when I knew that Kadokawa itself probably had the license and that's why it was in the Newtype USA. Now Kadokawa is one to hawk things like crazy in Japan too, probably moreso than any other company I know of there period, but the prices are much better for this kind of material in Japan, and the interest is much higher. It's also much larger in size per issue so you get more for your money. Interest in anime in America is just to small in anime, hence the extraordinary price to keep this afloat, and even that didn't work so.....yeah.

The whole after the fact nature of the magazine didn't help it's case either. If you follow things closely enough to be considered a hardcore anime fan, you probably already knew what they were going to tell you, whereas in Japan it's the first source for things like Gundam, Code Geass or generally anything Bandai, Toei or Kadokawa (Big 3) related. Like I said, it really never stood much of a chance.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 03:34   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I would pick up Newtype in the bookstores repeatedly... and find there wasn't a thing in it that I didn't already know. Even given its purpose was to advertise... it seemed to advertise things not wanted mostly. It also seemed obsessed with subgenre I simply wasn't interested in.

So, I never saw any reason to subscribe. ADV has been and remains in my mental "what a crock of sh**" list with their dysfunctional management decisions but if the puppy wasn't selling enough to break even then it makes sense to shut it down (or figure out why their marketing of it failed.. or that maybe the content failed to reach the audience that could afford it or..... ).
Old 2008-01-10, 05:29   Link #15
xorsyst
Otaku Pride!

Send a message via AIM to xorsyst Send a message via MSN to xorsyst Send a message via Yahoo to xorsyst
Well ADV said they may have a new magazine in the works. It makes me wonder that with many things becoming less tangible (CD sales are declining, but ringtones and itunes downloads increasing), maybe this is just a result of progress. That new magazine that they mentioned, I wonder if they are going to go after a broader scope of reader. Kinda like the new magazine Otaku USA.
xorsyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 14:26   Link #16
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

The new magazine is called PiQ and it appears to cover more of an Otaku area instead of an Anime Area.

Such as Anime, Manga, Video Games, and Pop Culture.

Isn't this just a copy of Protoculture Magazine? And I bet it going to cover Models, Gashapons and Yayoi.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 15:47   Link #17
roninhobbit
Roboguzu

I enjoyed Newtype USA, though admittedly it had gone downhill quite a bit.

So let me ask this then...aside from prowling forums, where do most of you go for your anime news?
roninhobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 01:05   Link #18
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
The new magazine is called PiQ and it appears to cover more of an Otaku area instead of an Anime Area.

Such as Anime, Manga, Video Games, and Pop Culture.

Isn't this just a copy of Protoculture Magazine? And I bet it going to cover Models, Gashapons and Yayoi.
Darn, you beat me to it >.<

Quote:
Thank you for your email to Newtype USA!

We will be launching a new magazine that will be on sale in mid-March. Titled PiQ, the magazine will cover anime, manga, video games and other aspects of pop culture of keen interests to you. All existing subscribers will have their remaining issues fulfilled at a two-to-one ratio, meaning you will get double the number of magazines delivered straight to your doorstep! We hope you stick with us and give the new magazine a shot. We're sure you'll love it!

If you're not interested in receiving double the value for your remaining subscription, you can opt out at anytime.

Old 2008-01-11, 02:44   Link #19
Sakura_Kinomoto
Kaede/Ama Fan boy

i am a bit disapointed to hear this, Newtype was really the only Anime/manga related magazine that i could get my hands on where i lived, ohwell at least i still got there Calander
Sakura_Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 07:52   Link #20
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
So let me ask this then...aside from prowling forums, where do most of you go for your anime news?
Forums are often more than enough, unless you can read Japanese (and thus sites like Moonphase are more useful)... but news on the Internet are spread quite quickly, especially on quality forums like this one. Stick around in the Unaired section and you'll probably have all the basic info you could need.

Of course, the Internet is also a good place to spread unfounded rumors, but it's not something that occurs very often here in AS.

As for anime magazines... well, the anime industry is basically nonexistent here in Argentina. There is a magazine or two, but their content generally sucks so badly that it's really not worth it. They only cater to the really crappy general fanbase we have around here. Plus they've rode on a train called "Cursing Is Cool (TM)" and thus their writing in general is just horrible.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote