AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2018-10-19, 13:01   Link #101
KiharaRonin

According to him they do, don't pay the comments too much attention.
Old 2018-10-19, 14:28   Link #102
LG-MAX 2.o

Yeah, when I said that the trailer for Index II was looking better than Index III, I was scorned here, but seeing the second and third episodes porcally produced, I feel like Dr. Loomis, who conspicuously warned about the Michael Myers danger and was ignored and in the end was right. Since I've never been blinded by hyper I can see things more clearly.

Railgun may have several writing problems about characters, fillers, and rhythm problems. But animation and consistency in art? That was always superior to Index, and why would that be? Are Index anime animators just plain lazy or incapacitated? Do they just not know how to manage the money they own? Is the work environment bad?

Objectively speaking, as Mikoto is ridiculously popular, it is no exaggeration to say that she alone is more popular than the whole franchise (Railgun manga sells twice as much as Index novel), and products with her face are constantly popular, it is quite obvious that from the commercial point of view of a production committee it would be more profitable to invest more in Railgun than in Index.

Of course, for a great Index fan to accept something like this is problematic, but the animation quality of the two series when compared speak for themselves.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-19, 14:36   Link #103
RDNexus

It seems you're daring to say that, to have a Railgun III without a chance of riot by Index fans, Index III also got green-lit at this time only to appease fans, despite having been asked for by said fans for a few years already.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-19, 16:00   Link #104
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
It seems you're daring to say that, to have a Railgun III without a chance of riot by Index fans, Index III also got green-lit at this time only to appease fans, despite having been asked for by said fans for a few years already.
I would also say that this is definitely possible. The Index anime is much less profitable for JC Staff than the Railgun anime. It's never really sold that well. That being said, I still doubt they won't try to make it good now that they're actually adapting it. I think that it will definitely be good. We just have to wait to see where they end up spending all their money on it. While I believe that Railgun is definitely their priority, I also think they don't just like losing money.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-22, 06:03   Link #105
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Yeah, I'm gonna pour cold water on L.G.MAX 2.0's argument and call b.s. Easily disprovable arguments shouldn't be listened to. If its just about profit, Mahouka is completely outselling the Raildex series right now so it would be more profitable animating that. So obviously its not as simple as something being more popular.

Of course Misaka is the most popular character in the franchise. But do you really think that would motivate budgetary decisions going as far back as Index and Railgun Season 1? When only 3 manga volumes were released and the Light Novel's popularity was booming? What idiotic reasoning.

What about bringing Index and Railgun together under the banner of the Toaru Project? What about the announcement for the Accelerator anime? Doesn't that completely contradict your hypothesis that they just wanted to get to Railgun 3 without pissing off fans? It looks more like a gigantic media-mix strategy for the entire Toaru Series than just a focus on Misaka.

There is actually a simple answer as to the disparity between the two adaptations. The animation director. Ignoring the cramming of material in 26 episodes (you know, the only actual thing you can blame the budget on), the problems with Index III so far are entirely to do with lazy direction; lazy screenplay/storyboarding and lazy scripting. These have been the problem for all of the other Index anime productions. I've said in the past that the Index Movie and Railgun S' Silent Party Arc are showcases for the strengths/weaknesses of their respective parts of the franchise. It's never been more evident till now (especially since the LN translations are up to date). Railgun lucked out on the animation director; Index didn't. It's that simple; it's the only thing that's remained constant across all Index productions. Though I'd argue the terrible screenplay and script are just as much to blame as they have shown that the key staff fundamentally don't understand what the franchise became afterwards and/or haven't learned anything about adapting LNs, Kamachi's scenarios or aanimating action scenes well in the past 5-7 years.

Though if you want to look for external excuses, J.C. staff has had a full on schedule this year so. They could be mishandling production with Million Arthur also airing this season and the juggernaut One-Punch Man Season 2 airing just after Index III concludes. All of these are far better explanations than hurr-dee-hurr "put more money into Misaka". If that's all they wanted, then the most financially optimal decision would be to animate Railgun Season 3 straight away and bugger the Index fans.
Old 2018-10-22, 07:32   Link #106
Chosen_Hero

^Correction: they already animated Mahouka and it was bad, really bad, hilariously bad... Also the racist undertones in that series is... yeah, that is a conversation for another thread. I wouldn't be surprised if it never gets picked up again.
Old 2018-10-22, 07:51   Link #107
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

^
Regardless of whether you and I both agree on that, the fact remains that it and its movie sold well and the franchise is currently more relevant saleswise than Raildex.
Old 2018-10-22, 10:29   Link #108
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

And Mahouka's fanbase is only japanese mostly so it's pretty telling while this one is supposedly overseas.

What's the point of a popular character when there is no substance behind and the fanbase knows there is nothing else beyond that, easy: they move on.
Old 2018-11-02, 15:59   Link #109
RDNexus

Went now to take a look at the Wiki's Story Arcs section out of curiosity.
Seems to me that this Season3 may take 3 episodes per volume, 24 episodes total or something.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-02, 17:35   Link #110
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
Yeah, I'm gonna pour cold water on L.G.MAX 2.0's argument and call b.s. Easily disprovable arguments shouldn't be listened to. If its just about profit, Mahouka is completely outselling the Raildex series right now so it would be more profitable animating that. So obviously its not as simple as something being more popular.

Of course Misaka is the most popular character in the franchise. But do you really think that would motivate budgetary decisions going as far back as Index and Railgun Season 1? When only 3 manga volumes were released and the Light Novel's popularity was booming? What idiotic reasoning.
Taking into account how Index III is currently, there is nothing to suggest that my hypothesis that Railgun receives greater attention it proves wrong, of course, we do not know how much each series receives from budget, I rely only on the quality of production Railgun anime and as goods with the Mikoto face are popular and nowadays for the production committee of an anime in many cases this is something good.

Of course, if Railgun III also has a regrettable production, then I was wrong, but we will only know in the future.

About Index and Mahouka, well, it is not Dengeki alone who decides what turn or does not in anime, is a production committee created for each series, so they are different cases.
Old 2018-11-02, 19:00   Link #111
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
Taking into account how Index III is currently, there is nothing to suggest that my hypothesis that Railgun receives greater attention it proves wrong, of course, we do not know how much each series receives from budget, I rely only on the quality of production Railgun anime and as goods with the Mikoto face are popular and nowadays for the production committee of an anime in many cases this is something good.
You're shifting you're goalposts there. No shit that Railgun is given more care. But my problem with your argument is that it has to do with budget. Budget is not the primary factor at play here. Its not like One Punch Man had a significant budget assigned to it.

There are more fundamental issues with direction, pacing, scripting and production cycles in the background. These issues are independent to the budget. Throwing more money at the production won't solve these issues; only hide them at best.

Quote:
Of course, if Railgun III also has a regrettable production, then I was wrong, but we will only know in the future.
Here's the thing. Even if when Railgun 3 is a success, it won't prove anything. Only if the conditions of the production environment remain the same (and if the animation team was the same) could we make a proper conclusion about budget.

But you can't predict what JC Staff's workload will be in a year; especially with One Punch Man S2 out of the way. Further to that, Nagai is a better director than Nishikiori, and will be animating material which is easier to adapt than the light novels; and given ample breathing room to properly adapt everything.

It will be more surprising if Railgun S3 sucks. You're not making any profound statement there.
Old 2018-11-02, 19:52   Link #112
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
You're shifting you're goalposts there. No shit that Railgun is given more care. But my problem with your argument is that it has to do with budget. Budget is not the primary factor at play here. Its not like One Punch Man had a significant budget assigned to it.

There are more fundamental issues with direction, pacing, scripting and production cycles in the background. These issues are independent to the budget. Throwing more money at the production won't solve these issues; only hide them at best.

Here's the thing. Even if when Railgun 3 is a success, it won't prove anything. Only if the conditions of the production environment remain the same (and if the animation team was the same) could we make a proper conclusion about budget.

But you can't predict what JC Staff's workload will be in a year; especially with One Punch Man S2 out of the way. Further to that, Nagai is a better director than Nishikiori, and will be animating material which is easier to adapt than the light novels; and given ample breathing room to properly adapt everything.

It will be more surprising if Railgun S3 sucks. You're not making any profound statement there.
yeah, in the end, you just strengthen my point that in the end Railgun gets more attention / care than Index. both the circumstances. In the end, the quality of the product is better, either by the people involved, or the difference in the skill of the professionals or the money invested, etc. Of course, all this is a guess based on the quality difference between the series.
Old 2018-11-02, 20:03   Link #113
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
yeah, in the end, you just strengthen my point that in the end Railgun gets more attention / care than Index. both the circumstances. In the end, the quality of the product is better, either by the people involved, or the difference in the skill of the professionals or the money invested, etc. Of course, all this is a guess based on the quality difference between the series.
Not really. His point was that because it is adapting a manga and because the person who's been doing it since the beginning is more suited/talented to the role, Railgun happens to be doing better. It's not necessarily about priority or budget. Other factors are the main cause.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-02, 21:06   Link #114
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Not really. His point was that because it is adapting a manga and because the person who's been doing it since the beginning is more suited/talented to the role, Railgun happens to be doing better. It's not necessarily about priority or budget. Other factors are the main cause.
yeah, sure, this is definitely not related, as I could not tell? you are completely right. ahhahahahah

Excuse me, seriously, budget? priority? it is clear that these things do not determine the quality of a product. There is not even a chance of this being true. hahahahhah

So you know what the real reason is? please elucidate me with absolute truth.
Old 2018-11-03, 04:22   Link #115
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Look, you've shifted your goalposts here so I'll be explicit about what I'm arguing against:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o
Objectively speaking, as Mikoto is ridiculously popular, it is no exaggeration to say that she alone is more popular than the whole franchise (Railgun manga sells twice as much as Index novel), and products with her face are constantly popular, it is quite obvious that from the commercial point of view of a production committee it would be more profitable to invest more in Railgun than in Index.
Railgun isn't better because there was a higher budget attached to Misaka because of popularity; its better because a better director is working with easier to adapt material. Its not that more care went into Railgun than Index; comparatively speaking it would take more effort to properly adapt Index such that it would match the quality of Railgun to begin with.

No one is arguing against Railgun being handled better. But its not getting "more" attention from a production committee view. Its getting the appropriate attention from talented staff.

This is why I'm railing against the anime staff and JC Staff as a whole for the abysmal product they've released in Index III.
Old 2018-11-03, 10:02   Link #116
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
easier to adapt material. Its not that more care went into Railgun than Index; comparatively speaking it would take more effort to properly adapt Index such that it would match the quality of Railgun to begin with.
This is key here. A straightforward manga like Railgun is much much easier to adapt than a novel like Index which tends to go unorthodox on a frequent basis. Ironically, Nagai still somehow screws it up with his shit padding, flanderization, Saten pushing, and fanfic tier filler arcs.

The problem still remains that Index III feels like a patched together mess with the seams being unstable as fuck that is consistently missing the core atmosphere that makes Index such a fun experience as a book.
Old 2018-11-04, 09:01   Link #117
faiz blaster

Watched the latest episode and noticed that they changed the fate of Tetsumou (the school girl from BLOCK). Makes me wonder if something similar will happen with other characters (takes a peek at Fren/da).
Old 2018-11-25, 18:42   Link #118
Jord
Banned

Since we can't talk about it in the anime thread for obvious reasons, I want to see some theories/speculation about Acqua vs White wings Accel, IMO I think that only then Acqua can't defeat him, especially because after that Accelerator displays his extreme delicate control over magic.
Jord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-26, 06:18   Link #119
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Accelerator only really started upping his magic game in the latest volumes actually after having more exposure to it. Even in white wings mode he didn't really show as much comprehension over magic as actual mages until very recently when he actually could manipulate magic without outside guidance

Anyway there's a more important question for this thread: How are they going to fix Mugino's plot hole of still having her arm at the end of that better left unsaid ep vs the fact she's one-armed in WWIII
Old 2018-11-26, 13:07   Link #120
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Anyway there's a more important question for this thread: How are they going to fix Mugino's plot hole of still having her arm at the end of that better left unsaid ep vs the fact she's one-armed in WWIII
She will probably lose it in the second fight with Hamazura, if they don't just cut that whole bit out that is.

Believer of the Great Sumeragi.

One Does Not Simply Make Touma A Good Protagonist ~ The Truth.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Mr.Kyon is offline   Reply With Quote