Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2019-05-07, 11:03   Link #2221
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Tariff protects local industry, that said, the local industry still needs to be able to compete amongst themselves to benefit the local
It's only protecting local industry if there is a significant local industry to protect. And for a majority of the Chinese imports there is just not a local industry that is doing this. There is a reason why the US is importing all those stuff. It's a completely different case compared to the one you described (which by the way is what the US was doing when it was industrialising in the late 19th century to protect its growing domestic industry against British industrial supremacy).
Old 2019-05-07, 12:18   Link #2222
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I wanted an electric knife sharpener, so I went on Amazon and bought one made, of course, in China. Could it have been made in the US? Probably, though it would take some time for a manufacturer to tool up. What would that one have cost? More than I paid for the Chinese one.

It would take ridiculous and highly market-distortiing government actions to construct the tariff wall and domestic subsidies needed to rebuild the US industrial presence in small electric appliances. Most such efforts have pretty limited employment effects, too. How many people will be needed to manage the industrial robots making those knife sharpeners?
Old 2019-05-09, 18:43   Link #2223
Key Board
Carbon

US electronics are made in Germany, South Korea or Japan
They are assembled in China. Recently more and more are made in China too.

All of which are better than the US at investing in middle class and skilled labor
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2019-05-10, 22:00   Link #2224
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Edit: oops wrong thread. =)

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2019-05-11 at 10:00.
Old 2019-06-03, 21:07   Link #2225
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Well Trump tried to lie on on twitter claiming he never said anything bad to Meghan Markle before his state trip to the UK despite audio evidence and an interview he made before showed that he did.
Old 2019-06-07, 15:18   Link #2226
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Apparently Trump believes the Japanese drop bowling balls on cars.

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/...527928320?s=09

Some people think he must have watched this Nissan ad at some point in the past.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2019-06-08, 16:55   Link #2227
James Rye

^Let's not forget that the Moon is part of the Mars.^^
Old 2019-06-08, 17:15   Link #2228
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

That particular quote has gotten way too much attention. NASA intends to build a moon base as the first step to going to Mars. Had Trump said "of the Mars mission" it would have been clearer, but he didn't.
Old 2019-06-08, 17:16   Link #2229
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

To be mildly fair, the Moon is part of the Mars mission plan as a stepping stone, base of operation/logistics.

The Moon is no longer an End Goal, just part of the process to Mars.
Old 2019-06-09, 12:07   Link #2230
James Rye

Yeah, sure. But the way he worded it, lolololol~ xD
Like how can he write that and not be like "wait, that's wrong, I need to add mission else I look like a fool"?^^
Old 2019-06-10, 08:30   Link #2231
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I just bothers me that gaffes draw so much attention when his policies get so little.

Quote:
Trump's "Covfefe" tweet got twice as much news coverage as ANY story about Trump and Taxes -- including the NYT $1 billion tax shelter expose and the $2 Trillion tax cut package.
https://twitter.com/djlavoie/status/1138072252795297794
Old 2019-06-10, 12:52   Link #2232
James Rye

^That's because the other stuff is too complicated and abstract for most readers/viewers. It is easy to get views and clicks with stuff like Covfefe because everyone knows that's not a word and a weird tweet to send.
Old 2019-06-10, 13:34   Link #2233
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I just bothers me that gaffes draw so much attention when his policies get so little.

https://twitter.com/djlavoie/status/1138072252795297794
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
^That's because the other stuff is too complicated and abstract for most readers/viewers. It is easy to get views and clicks with stuff like Covfefe because everyone knows that's not a word and a weird tweet to send.
If it was only a case of laziness; the fact than they (the business owning the medias and a good part of its members) do benefit from some his policies is a good incensitive to keep quite about it.
Old 2019-06-12, 03:22   Link #2234
The Green One

Ah Trump, the train wreck that's constantly on fire. While the sheep continue to brainlessly trundle into the fire.
Old 2019-06-12, 20:41   Link #2235
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Ah Trump, the train wreck that's constantly on fire. While the sheep continue to brainlessly trundle into the fire.
Giving the population the vote was never about making the country better; it was about making sure the population can't complain when things burn.

But what was unexpected, was that the population would end up trying to defend being burned, that being on fire was the best thing ever, and all because they wanted to be in the winning team.
Old 2019-07-16, 13:58   Link #2236
James Rye

So just to make sure:

It is racist to tell people born in America to go back to their countries, right? Because saying that means, you don't believe (for reasons like the color of their skin or different religious belief) that the people you told just that, belong to America or should be considered Americans.

And the reps are going with that as well?

Wow...
Old 2019-07-16, 14:23   Link #2237
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The "why don't you go back to [country]" meme has deep roots in American racism. I recall hearing comments about sending the blacks back to Africa when I was growing up in the fifties.

During the Vietnam War we had the "America: Love it or Leave It" bumper stickers and chants. Then the targets were people protesting the War. The premise was the same though, if you don't adhere to our white, Christian, patriarchal view of America where "patriotic" people follow the President, you can just leave. The idea that one can love America because it encourages diversity and tolerates dissent is not one those people shared.

Intolerance and bigotry are powerful forces that have been a part of American political culture since before the Civil War. The "Know-Nothing" movement, which reached its peak in the 1850s, targeted Catholic immigrants from countries like Ireland and Germany. Same old song.

US politics are going through a fundamental realignment once again as the younger generations with greater tolerance for diversity are displacing the older white electorate who have a nostalgic, and fundamentally wrong, view of what America was like when it was "great." Republicans see the handwriting on the wall, which is why appointing right-wing judges to the courts has been such an important part of their legislative strategy. These new judges will be serving for decades to provide a bulwark against the demographic tides which will sweep away many tenets of Repubican conservatism, particularly those that have roots in right-wing religious organizations. White evangelicals are especially panicked by these trends.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2019-07-16 at 17:50.
Old 2019-07-16, 14:29   Link #2238
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
So just to make sure:

It is racist to tell people born in America to go back to their countries, right? Because saying that means, you don't believe (for reasons like the color of their skin or different religious belief) that the people you told just that, belong to America or should be considered Americans.

Wow...
I dunno, I think according to their President, it's racist to call such things racist. The "No, you!" of modern American politics, I guess.
Old 2019-07-16, 17:45   Link #2239
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
So just to make sure:

Wow...
Nothing new in the US, as SeijiSensei already said. It's just that Trump now brings sweeps it to the forefront of his campaign. And among his supporters and the Republican Party of 2019 it's working. Since a lot of them believe in that White Supremacist stuff. Just don't call them White Supremacist, because these are only the radicals like the KKK. Call them America-loving or anti-Communist instead.
Old 2019-07-16, 17:48   Link #2240
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which policies discrimination in the US workplace, literally describes the "go back where you came from " phrase as an example of illegal harassment:

Quote:
Harassment Based on National Origin

Ethnic slurs and other verbal or physical conduct because of nationality are illegal if they are severe or pervasive and create an intimidating, hostile or offensive working environment, interfere with work performance, or negatively affect job opportunities. Examples of potentially unlawful conduct include insults, taunting, or ethnic epithets, such as making fun of a person's foreign accent or comments like, "Go back to where you came from, " whether made by supervisors or by co-workers.
https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/publicatio...ants-facts.cfm
Closed Thread