Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-07-05, 17:30   Link #221
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
ohohoho, how long will the world watch out against despots.... ?
The problem is not ''who long the world watch out'' but who long the world will wait before reacting, an dI guest you know the answer as much as everyone else.
Old 2009-07-05, 23:12   Link #222
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
The problem is not ''who long the world watch out'' but who long the world will wait before reacting, an dI guest you know the answer as much as everyone else.
I think the international community screwed up this time round. There wasn't any real irregularity per se, only that the West and allies thought there was stoking violence in Iran. This caused the government to then violate international human rights. I mean, why is China not being attacked by US? There you are, double standards. Maybe if US really wanted to, it should act in China first where elections are non-existent, or Thailand, where the military is the king-maker. And, seen from a outside view, both are in military coup (China being in one since 1949.) You want to talk human rights? Return China to the ROC!
Old 2009-07-06, 00:54   Link #223
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Whoa, the Chinese history part is contested. The US themselves gave up on Chiang Kai-shek when they saw the corruption within the KMT.
Old 2009-07-06, 01:03   Link #224
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Whoa, the Chinese history part is contested. The US themselves gave up on Chiang Kai-shek when they saw the corruption within the KMT.
Much like Vietnam when they saw that South Vietnam wasn't doing well either. The US pulled out, and in so doing, created another Red. After China and DPRK.
Old 2009-07-06, 02:02   Link #225
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

DPRK was slightly different. I myself am not sure about the anti-Japanese resistance in Korea during the Second World War, but I do remember that the 38th parallel was drawn "at random", by two junior officers, if my memory serves me.

Also, the US really has no business in Vietnam. The Vietnamese communists are first and foremost nationalists. They threw out the French at Dien Bien Phu in '54, and the States thought that communism was spreading.
Old 2009-07-06, 02:09   Link #226
封鎖された渋谷で

Quote:
DPRK was slightly different. I myself am not sure about the anti-Japanese resistance in Korea during the Second World War, but I do remember that the 38th parallel was drawn "at random", by two junior officers, if my memory serves me.
At random?? Really?? That's news.

But, I agree with Shimathekat, when he does say that

Quote:
Maybe if US really wanted to, it should act in China first where elections are non-existent, or Thailand, where the military is the king-maker. And, seen from a outside view, both are in military coup (China being in one since 1949.) You want to talk human rights? Return China to the ROC!
But, then again, Iran screwed up this time round. If the incumbent had stayed calm against opposition to begin with, he wouldn't have be in this position today. I totally agree with the international community that the Iran government better redo the voting.

If necessary, call in the UN to conduct voting.

Freedom is an inalienable right of humankind, we all had better respect that.
428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 02:18   Link #227
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Acording to "Time Goes to War", the 38th parallel was (I quote) "hastily- almost randomly - selected by two young US officers working with a student atlas late at night in the closing days of WWII."

From Wiki:

"The parallel was established as the boundary by Dean Rusk and Charles Bonesteel of the US State-War Navy Coordinating Committee in Washington during the night of 10-11 August 1945, four days before the complete liberation of Korea."

The two officers were young (35/36 years old), but not junior in rank. That was my mistake.
Old 2009-07-06, 02:26   Link #228
封鎖された渋谷で

Quote:
Acording to "Time Goes to War", the 38th parallel was (I quote) "hastily- almost randomly - selected by two young US officers working with a student atlas late at night in the closing days of WWII."

From Wiki:

"The parallel was established as the boundary by Dean Rusk and Charles Bonesteel of the US State-War Navy Coordinating Committee in Washington during the night of 10-11 August 1945, four days before the complete liberation of Korea."

The two officers were young (35/36 years old), but not junior in rank. That was my mistake.
From Wiki too:

Quote:
The 38th parallel was first suggested as a dividing line for Korea in 1902[citation needed]. Russia was attempting to pull Korea under its control, while Japan had just secured recognition of its rights in Korea from the British. In an attempt to prevent any conflict, Japan proposed to Russia that the two sides split Korea into separate spheres of influence along the 38th parallel. However, no formal agreement was ever reached, and Japan later took full control of Korea.
I thought this was the reason.
Old 2009-07-06, 02:28   Link #229
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, it is very likely that the two gentlemen just wanted both sides to have roughly the same amount of land after the divide. From "Time Goes to War", it would seem that the US had little to no interest in Korea before the war began.
Old 2009-07-06, 02:30   Link #230
封鎖された渋谷で

Quote:
Well, it is very likely that the two gentlemen just wanted both sides to have roughly the same amount of land after the divide. From "Time Goes to War", it would seem that the US had little to no interest in Korea before the war began.
Fair enough.
Old 2009-07-06, 08:04   Link #231
封鎖された渋谷で

Iran official urges media crackdown

Quote:

The head of Iran's judiciary has called for a crackdown on television channels and websites deemed to have been criticial of the government.

"The daily growth of anti-regime satellite channels and ... websites needs serious measures to confront this phenomenon," state television quoted Ayatollah Mahmoud Hashemi-Shahroudi as saying on Sunday.

"Those who co-operate with such websites and television channels will face prosecution," he said in a circular addressed to branches of the judiciary.

Since the disputed re-election of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the president, on June 12,
Iranian authorities have repeatedly accused Western governments and foreign media of interferring in the country.

The Farsi-language service of the UK-based BBC television network has been repeatedly criticised by Iranian officials and the company has said that its broadcasts had been blocked at points since the vote.

The BBC's correspondent in Tehran was also expelled over his coverage of the election.
It gets worse.
Old 2009-07-06, 11:24   Link #232
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 428 View Post
Freedom is an inalienable right of humankind, we all had better respect that.
thats funny
it almost sounds like you actually believe that
freedom isnt anyone's RIGHT
practically the entire human race had spent thousends of years living under one form of oppression or another, and this idea that "freedom is a RIGHT" is a product of the last few centuries (and is far from global, most of the world aint free yet)
you arent guaranteed freedom
there are always people who would seek to rob you of it, and you would have to FIGHT them in order to keep it
iran is a very good example of what happens when those types of people WIN

i prefer a MUCH better and more accurete quote by Thomas Jefferson
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Last edited by bladeofdarkness; 2009-07-06 at 12:09.
bladeofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 04:24   Link #233
封鎖された渋谷で

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
thats funny
it almost sounds like you actually believe that
freedom isnt anyone's RIGHT
practically the entire human race had spent thousends of years living under one form of oppression or another, and this idea that "freedom is a RIGHT" is a product of the last few centuries (and is far from global, most of the world aint free yet)
you arent guaranteed freedom
there are always people who would seek to rob you of it, and you would have to FIGHT them in order to keep it
iran is a very good example of what happens when those types of people WIN

i prefer a MUCH better and more accurete quote by Thomas Jefferson
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
I kinda get what you mean, especially when that is from the UN charter - but where ARE they now!?