AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-04, 01:14   Link #401
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
nice, but where are her scars?
Probably ruins the sexy image they were trying to achieve. I doubt many have a scar fetish.

Actually, I don't think BRS had her scars in the first episode either. I guess she'll get wounded later on? Or I suppose it could be this spider-tank that is whaling on her right now that she'll get them from. Her torso has been gouged like what, two times now?
Old 2012-02-04, 01:59   Link #402
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
This episode shares that same problem for me. As some have also mentioned, the impact of that first day friendship between our leads felt lessened, hence the supposed reversal of this relationship of their otherworld counterparts suffered the same issue.
Well if the"other world" scenes showed BRS vs Dead Master I'd agree with you but for the most part that wasn't the case.
Now while I admit it was Dead Master that chained up BRS at the end most of the fighting in this episode was done between BRS and Chariot.
BRS took a beating from Chariot all episode long which pretty much reflects the verbal abuse Mato took from Kagari.
As for Dead Master chaining up BRS at the end that doesn't mean that she's doing it willingly,she could be doing it under the influence of Chariot just like Yomi is under the influence of Kagari.

There's a scene where Chariot drops macarons on BRS's face and you can here "go away" in the backround which reflects how Kagari gave all the "ugly" macarons to mato and told her to go away.
There's a same item (the macaron) as well as the same line (go away) in both worlds.To me that's a more straightforward connection than anything we saw in the OVA.
Old 2012-02-04, 02:07   Link #403
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Well if the"other world" scenes showed BRS vs Dead Master I'd agree with you but for the most part that wasn't the case.
Now while I admit it was Dead Master that chained up BRS at the end most of the fighting in this episode was done between BRS and Chariot.
BRS took a beating from Chariot all episode long which pretty much reflects the verbal abuse Mato took from Kagari.
As for Dead Master chaining up BRS at the end that doesn't mean that she's doing it willingly,she could be doing it under the influence of Chariot just like Yomi is under the influence of Kagari.

There's a scene where Chariot drops macarons on BRS's face and you can here "go away" in the backround which reflects how Kagari gave all the "ugly" macarons to mato and told her to go away.
There's a same item (the macaron) as well as the same line (go away) in both worlds.To me that's a more straightforward connection than anything we saw in the OVA.
Plus that counsellor's line about someone else taking the pain for you and then seeing all the damage done to BRS also connects the 2 worlds.
Old 2012-02-04, 02:46   Link #404
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I see your point but... as of right now I don't see anything too concrete in it because the implied link between worlds is still very much theoretical at this point. I already sound like a broken record, but the emotional connection doesn't feel as strong as it was in the OVA, which is why I feel the impact is lessened. Comparatively speaking the connection was stronger in the OVA, which isn't saying much because I don't think the OVA did as well as it could because BRS setting is itself filled with a lot or promise that they couldn't fully explore in the OVA, and now they have 8 episodes to make something of it. This episode didn't set up a strong foundation for that as I would have wanted,
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 02:47   Link #405
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
It's just a hint and leaves the same question that was in the original: why there are such counterparts? And why they're doing stuff like this?
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 02:58   Link #406
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost My Music View Post
. .
Yomi... what have they done to you?
Old 2012-02-04, 09:27   Link #407
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Being a fan of the original Miku song, I wonder if the anime would be better off being set in a single world. My interpretation of the original song was that of an epic adventurer wandering around in a hostile environment, struggling to survive. The anime, on the other hand, seems to sideline BRS and company as imaginary entities whose existence merely serve to dramatise the happenings in the girls' actual world. While it is clear and understandable that the writers are trying to carry on from the content of the OVA, I much prefer a retcon with just the other world without Mato and all the girls.

The OP was a little unpolished compared to the original. I think Ryo changed it to one of the Appends, perhaps Dark, instead of the original Miku. This one would be much better:

frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 09:47   Link #408
Utsuro no Hako

I guess I'm the only person who came to the episode without having seen the OVA or played the game.

The sci-fi stuff did nothing for me. I have no idea who this girl is, what she's fighting for or why we're supposed to be rooting for her. That's fine for a teaser, but the second sequence went on too long without giving me a reason to care. Sure, the fight looked cool, but we already have Symphogear, Aquarion and Rinne no Lagrange this season.

The slice-of-life storyline was better, but apart from the girl in the wheelchair it was all standard stuff -- apart from her scene, everything in that part of the episode could've been done by a random anime plot generator. The only thing keeping my interest is the hint at a potential yuri romance.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 09:49   Link #409
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Black Rock Shooter as the OP for the show? I approve!!! I have been begging for this since the OVA!
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 11:54   Link #410
ookamigirl

Hmm... this looks interesting.
The blonde girl really is scary & mean.
Kuroi & Takanashi have a good thing going so far, but I wonder what that alternate world has to do with them..

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 12:45   Link #411
Kagayaki

Old 2012-02-04, 13:45   Link #412
Stevie_Nix
Longtime Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblitz View Post
Spoiler for Nyantype:
Heh, so it begins. Though I wonder if this is going to be the start of "Its popular now it sucks" phase of people hating the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Episode 1 sure was interesting. I dislike slice of life anime, but this was pretty enjoyable. I loved the fluidic action scenes and the colour symbolism.
I would personally classify the real world bits as more drama/romance, then slice of life.

Quote:
I'm curious as to how Mato and Yomi's relationship will develop from here on in. I’m totes rooting for them.
Me too. While there is a partial guide since this series is in part a reboot of the OVA, there is enough differences to keep me from guessing the end with 100% confidence. That said, come on Mato, Fight for Yomi!

Quote:
Kagari is a bitch of colossal proportions. I was surprised to see her Otherworld counterpart was able to wallop BRS all around the place. Ah well, she almost got Chariot back in the end; hopefully we'll see BRS get a few direct hits on her in the next episode.
Well considering how the Otherworld seems to work with relation to emotions to the Realworld, I am not surprised. That said, I have to say what Chariot did to BRS was down right chilling.

What BRS needs to do is befriend Deadmaster. Really she is the one keeping Chariot from getting her ass kicked.

I honestly can not think of off hand another anime character that I instantly loathed as much a Kagari. Mostly it usually takes a few episodes for me to loath a character. Not here.
Old 2012-02-04, 13:56   Link #413
Cannikin

BTW, the next episode's preview is up on the BRS homepage.

The most notable thing I saw was some actual BGS screen time, which is what I've been waiting for.
Cannikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 14:02   Link #414
Taynis
Wonderland's hitman

Send a message via MSN to Taynis
I really liked the first episode! The actions scenes are so cool, the scenario is really something. That doll-city-thing made me remember Alice: Madness Return.
The opening song is Black Rock Shooter!AWW YEAH!

The only thing I dislike so far is that the characters are really ugly in some scenes, mostly in the 'normal' world. Like the eyes in different leves and such. :S

Buuuuut GO SAVE TAKAHASHI, KUROI! /o/
Old 2012-02-04, 19:53   Link #415
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

@Kagayaki
You - are - a - GODSEND! I missed the January 31 episode of imagine-nation and NHK World. D:
Thanks for the link!
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 21:47   Link #416
kitten320

Somehow this felt flat... things moved way too fast what doesn't make me care about characters one bit =/
Also Mato/Yomi interactions at the beginning just kept me giving yuri vibes!

So... is BRS world an emotion world?
Old 2012-02-05, 13:07   Link #417
Dop
Mmmm....

Hmm..... Well I liked it, sort of.

I suspect that the whole 'Black Rock Shooter World' scenes are happening entirely in Mato's head, an internalised fantasy in her head. Where bad things happen to Mato, worse things happen to Black Rock Shooter. There's definitely the connection.

It's all in her head, a dark fantasy which could destroy her sanity. Black Rock Shooter, a psychological drama, swear to ghod!

I think I'm the one having fantasies now. Would be interesting though.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 23:41   Link #418
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Hmm..... Well I liked it, sort of.

I suspect that the whole 'Black Rock Shooter World' scenes are happening entirely in Mato's head, an internalised fantasy in her head. Where bad things happen to Mato, worse things happen to Black Rock Shooter. There's definitely the connection.

It's all in her head, a dark fantasy which could destroy her sanity. Black Rock Shooter, a psychological drama, swear to ghod!

I think I'm the one having fantasies now. Would be interesting though.
So BlackStar Shooter is the SuckerPunch of anime?
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 00:01   Link #419
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Agh damn it I haven't seen the 1st ep. yet....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruyasha View Post
Disappointing.. Extremely sloppy work.. but I guess you can't expect much better from a company who just started..

Spoiler for Episode 1:

Also..

Spoiler for Fanservice?:
Ill leave my comments when I've watched this.
Oh my....*looks at fanservice image*
Is BRS going to that route?...Probably not....Probably yes....who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblitz View Post
Spoiler for Nyantype:
Hot and I only thought this would be in fanart. Huke needs to draw BRS again.
Though as seen in the anime fanservice screen cap.....are they really going for ecchi?
Need more episodes to confirm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost My Music View Post
. .
Now I miss the designs in the OVA....
Old 2012-02-06, 00:56   Link #420
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

BLACK ROCK SOOTHER. Goth Girls through the other side of the World

It's been about six months and five days in between the time I watched the OVA and now the first episode of the TV series.

To start my review I grasped right away that the TV series is not functioning as a sequel to the OVA, rather it feels more like a restart because an important but highly creepy element is added into the TV series that stands in the way of Mato and Yomi's blooming friendship.
Spoiler:

More importantly, what's important to take notice about is that Matou geniunely wishes for Yomi's friendship, whom the latter either has a hard time or doesn't want to reciprocate due to the overwhelming hold Kagari has on her.
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, slice of life