AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 09
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 113 61.08%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 44 23.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 13 7.03%
7 out of 10 : Good... 7 3.78%
6 out of 10 : Average... 4 2.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.54%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.54%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.08%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-01, 18:56   Link #81
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Even though she is the Vice Commander of one of the best guilds in the game, she is still a 14 year old girl.
She is actually 17 if I remember correctly. 1 year older than Kirito.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 18:56   Link #82
Deltaray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
... Where do you get that she's 14? That would mean she started the game at 12, and looked like that at 12...
Too bad I suppose saying Asuna's real age would be spoiler, but she is older than 14, just check one scene from episode 8 lol.
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 18:57   Link #83
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
... Where do you get that she's 14? That would mean she started the game at 12, and looked like that at 12...
would make a lot of man into criminals or at least harbor criminal thoughts
Old 2012-09-01, 18:59   Link #84
Domonkazu

actually I consider Asuna pretty strong for a girl player, especially in mmorpg without level limit, I mean nowadays I don't recall any mmorpg which can't be maxed out in 2 years, there were a lot of them back then in early 2000 XD, and in those games usually guys out level girls by a lot.

back then I could play like 48h nonstop (eating instant noodles while playing) then took a bath for 15min, sleep for 4-5h, after that continue the cycle for a month or two.
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 19:00   Link #85
Xaturas

10/10 nothing more to add.
Ohh or I will just add that this anime really is great, one of the saving graces of this season. Accel world pales in comparison.
Old 2012-09-01, 19:02   Link #86
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Color me absolutely not surprised by this episode: I was actually wondering why Kirito put more emphasis on "same sword" for Dark Repulser, but dismissed that he would dual wield, considering it didn't seem to be a trump card (I guess the studio goofed up, since a thug in Episode 4 was dual wielding axes, and Kirito insisted that "dual wielding" (not specifically swords) is unique).
At least, quite satisfied that the anti crystal field possibility was proved to be true as I expected, so other means to trap players is absolutely not out of question now. In fact, It would be even more nerve wrecking if more mechanics are in play with further boss (floor trap, paralizing fields etc) than just trapped boss room.

Anyway, they did a good job in building the tension and all, but again, not trying to nitpick too much, but the design and animations weren't that consistent: past the flurry of attacks being quite flashy, Kirito often got shafted in design (even Klein in fact), with a lot of static shots etc.

That said, the current episodes definitely make up for the slow 2-7 portions.
actually anyone can dual wield, the skill just doesnt show up meaning they can't lvl it or use any skills in conjuncture with both weps. So its basically in WoW terms "white hitting" no system assist or w.e so technically the anime production team didnt goof it up
Old 2012-09-01, 19:03   Link #87
Peanutbutter

That was one hell of a crazy boss fight, especially the solo part.

Is there a time limit or something? Was Kirito worrying he can't finish the boss off?
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 19:05   Link #88
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpew View Post
actually anyone can dual wield, the skill just doesnt show up meaning they can't lvl it or use any skills in conjuncture with both weps. So its basically in WoW terms "white hitting" no system assist or w.e so technically the anime production team didnt goof it up
But no one would do it, because it isn't efficient if you can't use a technique with it.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 19:09   Link #89
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Yeah, fair enough. They do show one shot of the boss's HP, and it looks like the Army took down the first HP bar. If we assume that they got it down to half-HP by the time Kirito took over, that's probably a good bet.

That's also a fair thought. In this game, team work mostly seems to involve timing and switching out, and Kirito wasn't really leaving any openings for a switch, so it could be that they couldn't really do much even if they wanted. But by the same token, I also got the impression that they were mostly shocked.
Spoiler for comparison to the novel:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-01 at 19:16. Reason: Please use spoiler tags when providing novel info
Polarpew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 19:09   Link #90
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter View Post
Is there a time limit or something? Was Kirito worrying he can't finish the boss off?
Well, no. Although.. the longer the fight went on, the worse it got for Kirito, because even if he did block Gleameyes' attacks, it didn't nullify the damage completely (as shown by one scene in the anime).
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 19:10   Link #91
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
But no one would do it, because it isn't efficient if you can't use skills with it.
well we can just say that low lvl Pk'er was just retarded and prolly just trying to look intimidating opposed to saying that the production team messed up, give em the benefit of the doubt cuz hell, I've been waiting for a SAO anime since I started reading several years back
Old 2012-09-01, 19:11   Link #92
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter View Post
The "time limit" was his life. He was about to die when he landed the finishing blow.
Old 2012-09-01, 19:12   Link #93
shadow1296

that part when kirito was using his dual blades that was 60 seconds of pure awesomeness
Old 2012-09-01, 19:14   Link #94
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
I don't really see Asuna falling more in love with Kirito as a sign of being weaker.
What girls can't fall in love now without being seen as weak?

Even though she is the Vice Commander of one of the best guilds in the game, she is still a 14 year old girl. While death might still be a commoner sight on the frontlines, its still something that's harsh to see in front of you.
Well, I don't think, taken on its own, anything she did was necessarily out-of-character or unexpected (and to be clear, I didn't want to imply that her falling in love itself was a sign of weakness), but on the whole you see there's a bit of a disparity going on. It does seem a little bit like what Kazu-kun said: when she's on her own, she's a strong vice commander that everyone respects, but next to Kirito, she's weak. I guess you can take that two ways: first, you can say that she's showing a side of herself to Kirito that she can't show to her guildmembers (because, in front of them, she has to look strong and respectable all the time) -- so it's a sign of trust. But, second, you can also say that the story only built her up to be strong and respectable to put her up on a pedestal that only our hero protagonist could reach, and once he reaches it, that pedestal doesn't really matter any more.

It would be my preference that the show doesn't make her a "damsel in distress" too much because I think she's already demonstrated that she's strong and capable of her own right... but I guess we'll have to see what the show does going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domonkazu View Post
actually I consider Asuna pretty strong for a girl player, especially in mmorpg without level limit, I mean nowadays I don't recall any mmorpg which can't be maxed out in 2 years, there were a lot of them back then in early 2000 XD, and in those games usually guys out level girls by a lot.
Eh, I don't really think that there's any reason why "girl players" have to be weaker. Both of my sisters played MMOs, and they were no weaker than any guy. It's really just about time committed, and in this game at least they have nowhere else to go. I think it's more that there are just more guys than girls, so statistically the best players are more likely to be guys.

Quote:
Spoiler for comparison to the novel:
Spoiler for Novel Comparison:
Old 2012-09-01, 19:15   Link #95
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I really don't get it: why would the "dual wield skill" itself be considered unique, if anyone can wield?
I would understand if the unique skill was that Star Burst Stream, but dual wielding? As far as it goes, the anime shows that the act of using 2 weapons at the same time is not usual, considering both Asuna and Klein were shocked to see that.

Is there a specific part of the LN that explains the characteristic and "unique" aspect of the skill? because it doesn't make sense that anyone could wield 2 weapons.
Old 2012-09-01, 19:19   Link #96
ak4allz
NightlyArt

yes, finally we got both of them online ! Dark Repulser and Elucidator ftw !!

someone, can you please make a sig based on this image ..? put in my name : Aizan Fahri. Haha
Old 2012-09-01, 19:19   Link #97
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
I really don't get it: why would the "dual wield skill" itself be considered unique, if anyone can wield?
I would understand if the unique skill was that Star Burst Stream, but dual wielding? As far as it goes, the anime shows that the act of using 2 weapons at the same time is not usual, considering both Asuna and Klein were shocked to see that.
Anyone can attempt to use it, but the problem is that even if they do try to use it, a "dual wield" skill won't show up for them like it did for Kirito, so they can't level it to increase it's power and efficiency. The same goes for dual sword skills such as Star Burst Stream. I guess it'd be like wielding a weapon that requires 50 STR to wield, but the person trying to wield it only has 30. They can still use it, but it's nowhere near as effective as it could, and should be.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 19:22   Link #98
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

If we assume that "Dual Wield" is a kind of perk that enhances using two weapons at once, then there's likely statistical bonuses that come with it. And it's likely very hard to get such a perk, I imagine.

EDIT: Argh ninja'd.
Old 2012-09-01, 19:22   Link #99
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Anyone can attempt to use it, but the problem is that even if they do try to use it, a "dual wield" skill won't show up for them like it did for Kirito, so they can't level it to increase it's power and efficiency. The same goes for dual sword skills such as Star Burst Stream. I guess it'd be like wielding a weapon that requires 50 STR to wield, but the person trying to wield it only has 30. They can still use it, but it's nowhere near as effective as it could, and should be.
So, in other words, because there are skills specific to single sword use, there wouldn't be any advantage to dual-wielding, and in fact you might put yourself at a disadvantage. So, only because Kirito has that skill is there an advantage to dual-wielding. Anyone else could do it if they want, but it'd only be "to look cool". (Which could explain why that goon did it in Episode 4.)
Old 2012-09-01, 19:24   Link #100
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:

Is there a specific part of the LN that explains the characteristic and "unique" aspect of the skill? because it doesn't make sense that anyone could wield 2 weapons.
The only episode I saw someone dual wield was episode 4, but I guess that was anime only, the staff simply made a mistake.
Spoiler for Dual Blades:

Edit: took too long