AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2020-05-24, 16:42   Link #61
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
The thing is, what does Claire have besides Shuichi right now? She was left behind by her sister (doesn't surprise me since she did the same with Suichi), her parents are dead and she was about to kill herself before Shuichi entered her life. Sure, ideally, she shouldn't be too emotionally dependant, but I think it's way too soon for that. She still has to deal with a lot of shit before she can get to that point. Using Suichi as an emotional crutch is fine for now, I think.
Hypothetically speaking, what if Claire were to somehow find out everything the next day and it emotionally destroys her because she's completely unequipped to deal with it? Or what if Shuichi were to suddenly die the next day and she decides to kill herself like she tried to last time but this time without anyone stopping her? Would you really say it's fine for now? It might sound harsh but they're in a harsh situation where anything can happen and they need to be mentally prepared. I mean they clearly weren't when they faced Elena at the train station and look how that turned out. We know they have the luxury of leaving things as they are for now because they have the benefit of being main characters and are protected by plot armor but in a real life situation it wouldn't be ideal to afford them this luxury. If they were side characters, they'd be creating death flags for themselves

Quote:
I think Chihiro is bullshiting. The reason Claire can't do the fusion thing is probably because she's not a coin user herself. Note the fusion combines aspects of the two transformations (Chihiro's fox and Shuichi's nuigurumi), but in Claire's case there's only Suichi's nuigurumi since Claire is a human.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Back in Episode 2 when Shuichi and Claire talk about how they killed the track girl, Claire drops quite a Chekhov's Gun on us all talking about how it felt "melding" with Shuichi and sensing his feelings. She does it again in Episode 3 when they do their testing, stating that she's able to sense Shuichi's anxiety. She's not a power user nor does she claim to have any unrelated psychic powers so how is that possible? And Shuichi has also demonstrated capacity for feeling Claire's thoughts, like when he stopped Claire from shooting Elena at the train station. And from a meta point of view Chihiro wouldn't say something like that if it wasn't relevant to the narrative: I'm pretty sure we can take it as a very clear message on the authors part that Claire and Shuichi's inability to fuse isn't related to Claire not having a nuigurumi.
Old 2020-05-24, 17:38   Link #62
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

So... There's a chance of them turning into some creature, half-dog-costume, half-JK-in-swimsuit?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-24, 17:57   Link #63
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Hypothetically speaking, what if Claire were to somehow find out everything the next day and it emotionally destroys her because she's completely unequipped to deal with it?

This is way I'm sure it's not gonna happen. Real life is one thing, but in fiction there's something called pacing. Furthermore, Chihiro went to Elena behind Shuichi's back. This isn't something she's gonna reveal right away as she would be seen as a traitor.

So here's my prediction. She's not gonna say anything right way. She's gonna keep it to herself for the time being.

Quote:
Or what if Shuichi were to suddenly die the next day and she decides to kill herself like she tried to last time but this time without anyone stopping her? Would you really say it's fine for now?
Whether it's fine or not is besides the point. The question is whether it makes sense for her character and the situation she's in. Besides there's something you're overlooking which is that character growth also has pacing. Claire will most likely get over all this shit, but it will take time and it's too early now.

Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Back in Episode 2 when Shuichi and Claire talk about how they killed the track girl, Claire drops quite a Chekhov's Gun on us all talking about how it felt "melding" with Shuichi and sensing his feelings. She does it again in Episode 3 when they do their testing, stating that she's able to sense Shuichi's anxiety. She's not a power user nor does she claim to have any unrelated psychic powers so how is that possible?
I take it this is related to Shuichi's power as a "suit" that can be "wear" by others. I don't think it has anything to do with Claire per se. Probably anyone, human or coin user, would meld with him to some extent when "wearing" him. But since humans don't have any powers, Shuichi doesn't get any extra power from being used by humans. What Chihiro provided to the fusion that Claire didn't have is her own power. That's how the result of their fusion looked to me at least. Not just Chihiro wearing the Shuichi suit, but their powers combined into one, and this was only possible because both have powers.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2020-05-24 at 18:20.
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-24, 18:17   Link #64
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was a really interesting episode. Shuichi didn't just lose his memories of Elena, but also that of all his friends from cram school (which is where he most likely met Elena too), no wonder he felt something was missing inside him.

I've been suspecting it, but Chihiro's conversation with Elena made it clear Elena isn't a villain. The yandere aspect of her character is apparently being kept, but it'll probably be toned down. Given how close Shuichi and Elena appeared to be, there's no way Claire didn't know Shuichi, so her memories were most likely erased too.

And the bomb's been dropped that someone already got the hundred coin power-up.
Old 2020-05-24, 18:21   Link #65
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
This is way I'm sure it's not gonna happen. Real life is one thing, but in fiction there's something called pacing. Furthermore, Chihiro went to Elena behind Shuichi's back. This isn't something she's gonna reveal right away as she would be seen as a traitor.

So here's my prediction. She's not gonna say anything right way. Whatever she talked with Elena about, she's gonna keep it to herself for the time being.

Whether it's fine or not is besides the point. The question is whether it makes sense for her character and the situation she's in. Besides there's something you're overlooking which is that character growth also has pacing. Claire will most likely get over all this shit, but it will take time and it's too early now.
There's a lot of flitting back and forth between Watsonian and Doylism that's confusing this conversation. Suffice to say, I'm pretty sure we're both saying the same thing but we're just at two different wavelengths.

Quote:
I take it this is related to Shuichi's power as a "suit" that can be "wear" by others. I don't think it has anything to do with Claire per se. Probably anyone, human or coin user, would meld with him to some extent went "wearing" him. But since humans don't have any powers, Shuichi doesn't get any extra power from being used by humans. What Chihiro provided to the fusion that Claire didn't have is her own power. That's how the result of their fusion looked to me at least. Not just Chihiro wearing the Shuichi suit, but their powers combined into one, and this was only possible because both have powers.
This, however, is basically us just going in circles. I don't see a way of continuing this without repeating myself so I think we're just gonna have to agree to disagree here.
Old 2020-05-24, 19:00   Link #66
Mazryonh

Quote:
And I hope Ichinose Kana doesn't keep getting typecast into the "romance villianess" role.
I think the term you're looking for is "third wheel." I still remember at how fans of Darling in the Franxx looked like they were about to break the internet when Kana Ichinose's character in that show acted like a romantic third wheel there.

Speaking of DitF, the way that Shuichi's fursuit works and the sexual innuendos the series has been using are leading some to call this series "Darling in the Fursuit," which of course is partly inspired by Ichinose Kana's casting in both series.
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-27, 10:08   Link #67
videoman190

Shuuichi can regenerate like the Guyver it not just his body changed his gun split into two to a revolver to an semi-auto.
videoman190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-27, 18:46   Link #68
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It's a shame they didn't get to fire the guns, I wonder what kind of damage such normal looking guns would have made. Maybe they would have fired explosive bullets or something.
Old 2020-05-27, 20:19   Link #69
Mazryonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's a shame they didn't get to fire the guns, I wonder what kind of damage such normal looking guns would have made. Maybe they would have fired explosive bullets or something.
I'm a little more concerned with how difficult it would be to get the hem of the sundress over the thigh holsters so "Shuichihiro's" pistols could be drawn. It's not like the sundress is slit on the sides to make drawing the pistols easier, and the screenshot shown just glosses over what would realistically have to be done; "Shuichihiro" would have to raise one side of the dress up with the opposite hand to retrieve one handgun, then repeat the procedure on the other side to draw the other handgun.

If "Shuichihiro" wanted to draw both at once, they would have to crouch down and pull the hem of the dress up high enough to draw the guns to do it smoothly. Both ways take valuable time in a fight. Not the most well-though-out clothing and holster combination, it seems.
Old 2020-05-31, 13:23   Link #70
Mazryonh

Episode 9: Okay, this is where the action starts to pick up, but also where the censorship from the manga version ramps up. If you've read the manga it's easy to see where the TV version censored the original material.

Nice to see Sayaka's group get into combat, but only a few seem capable of fighting. I'm not sure even Sayaka has a combat-usable ability. Shuichi and Claire get knocked around a bit, but the situation seems like they're in over their heads compared to all the wreckage that "Shuichihiro" made two episodes ago, and Shuichi doesn't even use his gun in this episode. And yet Chihiro doesn't suggest getting inside Shuichi to even the odds, kind of like how most "power-ups" in shonen battle series are usually limited to one major fight and are largely forgotten about later.

Youta the suit-wearing boy at least seems motivated into getting serious, and it was good to see him bash heads with the best of them for this episode. Iseo despite his large size when transformed doesn't look like he can take much punishment, unfortunately. So it seems that Shuichi, Claire, and the rest of Sayaka's group are in a bit of serious trouble.
Old 2020-05-31, 18:18   Link #71
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Did molester monster have breast expansion as a special power? Sayaka's boobs got two times bigger when he was playing with them

I'm not sure why Sayaka and Chihiro were even part of the expedition given their powers are completely useless in fighting situations. I guess I can understand Sayaka coming since she's the leader, but not Chihiro. It's not like anyone knows about her earlier fusion with Shuichi.
Invisible girl can erase even her scent apparently, so she can avoid danger easily. Plant kid actually has a really useful power (lots of potential there), Yota is really strong, and Stalker is good for recon. Those two on the other hand are completely useless, if not liabilities as proven by Sayaka being taken hostage.

Not only is Yota an ikemen, but he gets to keep his good looks even in his "monster form". So unfair.
Old 2020-05-31, 19:11   Link #72
Mazryonh

Quote:
Did molester monster have breast expansion as a special power? Sayaka's boobs got two times bigger when he was playing with them
TVTropes calls this a "Fanservice Pack." The manga didn't quite give Sayaka "better proportions" during that bit of groping but did go farther in one way that I'll leave interested forum users here the benefit of finding out for themselves.

Quote:
I'm not sure why Sayaka and Chihiro were even part of the expedition given their powers are completely useless in fighting situations. I guess I can understand Sayaka coming since she's the leader, but not Chihiro. It's not like anyone knows about her earlier fusion with Shuichi.
Invisible girl can erase even her scent apparently, so she can avoid danger easily. Plant kid actually has a really useful power (lots of potential there), Yota is really strong, and Stalker is good for recon. Those two on the other hand are completely useless, if not liabilities as proven by Sayaka being taken hostage.
Chihiro might conceivably talk to animals she can get her hands on to figure out if they've seen anything of interest, but aside from that little bit of recon capability it's hard to figure out what combat applications her ability has, besides the trump card we've already seen. My guess is that she joined up with Sayaka's group mainly for protection. As for Iseo (Plant Kid) his ability's got combat applications too, if he would only use them properly (such as growing and controlling vines for restraint and strangulation of enemies, or even controlling the growth of a tree so its branches impale your enemies).

Quote:
Not only is Yota an ikemen, but he gets to keep his good looks even in his "monster form". So unfair.
Maybe he had a better vision of what he'd turn out to be when wishing for his ability, so he ended up without the drawbacks that Hikawa got when wishing for physical enhancement.
Old 2020-06-01, 02:47   Link #73
Dark Wing

You know what I just realized that I didn't catch earlier. Shuuichi has the same VA as Deku!
Old 2020-06-01, 06:26   Link #74
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
Maybe he had a better vision of what he'd turn out to be when wishing for his ability, so he ended up without the drawbacks that Hikawa got when wishing for physical enhancement.
Yeah, Sayaka did explain that if you have a clear vision of what you want to become, there won't be any "side-effects". Still surprised me that he's that strong and his transformation is just getting tattoos.
Old 2020-06-01, 06:38   Link #75
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
You know what I just realized that I didn't catch earlier. Shuuichi has the same VA as Deku!
Natsuki Hanae?
Old 2020-06-01, 15:43   Link #76
Dark Wing

Quote:
Natsuki Hanae?
Yup!

https://myanimelist.net/anime/39463/Gleipnir/characters
Old 2020-06-01, 17:34   Link #77
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Just so we're on the same page: By Deku do you mean Izuku Midoriya from My Hero Academia who is voiced by Daiki Yamashita?
Old 2020-06-02, 00:59   Link #78
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
You may be thinking of the wrong person. Shuichi's VA is probably best known at the moment for having been Tanjirou in Kimetsu no Yaiba. Daiki Yamashita (Deku's VA) doesn't voice anyone in Gleipnir.
Old 2020-06-02, 03:51   Link #79
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
You may be thinking of the wrong person. Shuichi's VA is probably best known at the moment for having been Tanjirou in Kimetsu no Yaiba. Daiki Yamashita (Deku's VA) doesn't voice anyone in Gleipnir.
Hmmm...I guess I was mistaken after all. I can't explain why he sounded so much like Midoriya though.
Old 2020-06-07, 12:33   Link #80
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Claire really is scary, but there wasn't much else she could do. Well, it was actually Shuichi who lit the flowers on fire but it was her idea in the first place. Claire and Shuichi's relationship remains the highlight of the show.

Ironic that the bad guy was taken out because he wouldn't abandon his friends. Not being completely evil is what doomed him.

Really took an unexpected turn. I thought Sanbe would rescue them, though I doubt even he could have taken down Madoka.