AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2014-08-12, 23:55   Link #1
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Similar to SAO?

Fairly simple, in a sense, I've been on a little kick as of late (no idea why, just am) of animes that take place in games somehow. Like .hack, and more recently Sword Art Online. I also watched No Game No Life, and it kind of fits into this to a degree, but isn't exactly the same. I view it as more of a "teleported to an alternate world" than being in a game. I could maybe buy it as them being sucked into a game world, but yea it's not as "true" as .hack or SAO was.

So anyways, yea, any suggestions based off that "truly takes place in a game" thing? Not just something that is full of games. MAYBE something that is built around one, but that'd be a very case by case thing as it were, and the game would always have to remain central to things. If not playing, thinking about playing in a sense.

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate
Cynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-13, 00:07   Link #2
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Log Horizon jumps to mind most immediately....
Old 2014-08-13, 00:07   Link #3
jedinat

Bouken Ou Beet - watched it forever ago and thought it was okay. IIRC they basically live in a world that functions like game like in SAO or hack... but it's actually really their world and not a game to them.

If you read manga at all, there's The Gamer, which features a protagonist given a supernatural ability that makes his life function like he's in a video game.
There's also Re:Monster which is kind of similar.
I mention those two in particular because they've got a really interesting take on the trope, but there are good manga(manhua) like 1/2 Prince that are your standard MMORPG world fare.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-13, 01:25   Link #4
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Log Horizon definitely is right in that vein I'm looking for and will take a look at the first few episodes soon-ish.

Bouken Ou Beet on the other hand I'm not too sure about just from reading the desc. It may be good, and maybe the world functions like a game, but I think I'm looking for something more... I don't know, game like? if not trapped in a game.

Like "Oh our world is run like a game" isn't the same as "game effects (or is) our world and how it is run" if that makes sense.

No Life No Game kinda crosses those borders a little because the world is both run like a game, but the games also influence how the world is the run. Which is why I included it even though it's not really trapped in a game, which is more what I want. I just wanted to broaden slightly since there probably aren't many "trapped in game" animes, but could be some similarish where the game plays a huge role.

Old 2014-08-13, 01:28   Link #5
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Be aware that season two of Log Horizon will air next season (Fall 2014), so if you like the series the continuation thereof will be coming pretty soon as well.
Old 2014-08-14, 01:45   Link #6
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Be aware that season two of Log Horizon will air next season (Fall 2014), so if you like the series the continuation thereof will be coming pretty soon as well.
Thanks for the info, nice to know. I know SAO is currently airing a season 2, so maybe soon I'll watch it (well whats out) and then when that ends can maybe move into Log Horizon if I like season 1.

Old 2014-08-17, 05:22   Link #7
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

No one has mentioned Accel World?

Red King is best King.
Old 2014-08-21, 06:10   Link #8
SineMora
Wait for it...

Not an anime, but a novel: ELYSION Virtual Region

Not trapped, but the game is part of our protagonists lives: The cyberspace is filled with bugs that require deletion, so it's turned into a game, wherein players hunts those bugs for a living.

That is their main source of income...
SineMora is offline   Reply With Quote