AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-01-05, 12:28   Link #1
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Disgaea 3

Your favourite ps2 srpg is back with even more whacky mechanics, outrageous abilities and lvl 9999 characters dishing out dmgs in unreasonable numbers.

Official site: http://disgaea.jp/3/
HD Trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28802.html
Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgaea_3

It looks like i have to start consider getting a PS3 after all.
Old 2008-01-05, 14:20   Link #2
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
I saw some screenshots for this a while back and the trailer only reaffirms my stance on this game. I love the Disgaea games, and I would happily play this... but I'm confused about why it's not on the PS2 because I see nothing there that requires a PS3 to run. The only thing that ever lagged my PS2 were Xenosaga 3 and Final Fantasy XII, and Disgaea 3 doesn't appear to be anywhere near that level of technological display. My guess is that it was arranged to be on the PS3 because Disgaea would actually sell something for that bloody console. Maybe by the time this game hits the States there'll be enough on the PS3 to make me actually want to purchase one, and the price will probably drop again by then too.
Alexandrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 14:44   Link #3
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Unfortunately I lost interest in the Makai series near the end of Disgaea 1. The level grinding eventually got to time consuming for allowing me to make little progress, and the repetitive nature of the gameplay I thought I would never get tired of, I started to get tired of. I like to feel I'm progressing in a game, and when I'm expected to level up for at least a week in order to complete one stage, the reward of one new character doesn't seem very worth it. I don't really feel like doing it again either.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 14:44   Link #4
Phantasmagoria
*Author

Ha, I played the PSP/PS2 version of Disgaea and they came out excellent.

I believe the same things goes to Disgea 3.

Looking forward~
Phantasmagoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-05, 20:03   Link #5
Satomi87
Banned

Although Disgaea 3 may win in gameplay department, its graphics might not be the prettiest game in PS3. Yeah, two previous Disgaea games in PS2 are not pretty either in PS2 standards.

I love this game since the first one and I hope they make this game better graphics in future games.
Satomi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 21:53   Link #6
Keiichi no Hibi
THIS. IS WHO I AM.

Send a message via AIM to Keiichi no Hibi
http://youtube.com/watch?v=84IogtMbxEE

The opening's been leaked, if you guys haven't seen! Very very nice.
Keiichi no Hibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 19:47   Link #7
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Unfortunately I lost interest in the Makai series near the end of Disgaea 1. The level grinding eventually got to time consuming for allowing me to make little progress, and the repetitive nature of the gameplay I thought I would never get tired of, I started to get tired of.
I'm going to second this.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I absolutely had to have the most advanced versions of each character class I had access to, so I had to do lots of re-leveling from L1. By the end of the game (and none of the bonus worlds explored) I was already severely behind the NPCs in levels and the game became very difficult. The final boss is L90 and his minions were L75 or something. The highest level character in my party was Laharl at L52 or something. The only reason I beat him was because both Laharl and Flonne could survive a hit and so I was free to spam big cures and stay in the fight. Laharl was also pretty much the only one who was strong enough to deal any significant damage.

I could never get into the item world thing as I found it repetitive and tedious. The same goes for the massive level grind you have to endure especially when re-training evolved units. I wish changing class wouldn't send a character back to L1...

Otherwise I think it was brilliant. The humour was amazing, the character designs were wonderful and the attacks were as over the top and entertaining as expected.

I also wonder why this isn't coming to PS2. To me it looks exactly the same as D1. The sprites even have the same resolution!

Last edited by Archuka; 2008-01-14 at 18:38. Reason: edit: meant PS2, not PS3
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 23:19   Link #8
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka View Post
I also wonder why this isn't coming to PS3. To me it looks exactly the same as D1. The sprites even have the same resolution!
You mean PS2?

I don't have a problem with lv up character to about lv 100 or something. Honestly, it took me only 5 minutes to do that. It's just a nightmare when I try to mess with the item world.
Old 2008-01-12, 12:32   Link #9
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

to "win" in Disgaea, you really need to abuse the game mechanics

In Disgaea 2, it took me maybe 30mins to 1 hr? to get a lvl9999 catgirl.... with 3 of em, it was pretty much smooth sailing lvling madness with others.

And as a fan, i demand moar Etna! Disgaea is not complete without our favourite devil babe with her legion of prinnies in it.
Old 2008-01-13, 05:11   Link #10
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
to "win" in Disgaea, you really need to abuse the game mechanics

In Disgaea 2, it took me maybe 30mins to 1 hr? to get a lvl9999 catgirl.... with 3 of em, it was pretty much smooth sailing lvling madness with others.
That area... the waterfall, right? That area is used for so much abuse, either in acquiring those Nekomatas or just using it as a cheap leveling area. There are some areas of Disgaea 1 that are easy to exploit, but not nearly on the level that that one is. It's actually kind of upsetting when I recall some of the grinding I did in the original. But yes, taking almost unfair advantage of what the game gives you is pretty much the only way to avoid most of the tedium.
Alexandrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 08:59   Link #11
Zoe

I'm new to the series (via PSP), and I simply love it. I had a moment of insanity yesterday and put in a preorder for the limited edition of this game

Hopefully it won't be too hard to understand. I can get the gist of what's said in Disgaea 1 without following the translation.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 16:13   Link #12
Rookie103

No etna
Rookie103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 18:46   Link #13
Aka
Green Trees
*Artist

Etna is in Disgaea 3.

You can see her tail right at the top next to Laharl's cape and Flonne's tail along with some other NIS characters.
Aka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 19:18   Link #14
Flonne
*Graphic Designer

I'm just happy that Marona is finally getting a cameo,shame that it doesn't seem like Ash will be comming with her,but i can imagine that they're going to have an misunderstanding with Marona and Almaz,since Almaz looks alot like Ash.
Flonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 21:08   Link #15
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe View Post
I'm new to the series (via PSP), and I simply love it. I had a moment of insanity yesterday and put in a preorder for the limited edition of this game

Hopefully it won't be too hard to understand. I can get the gist of what's said in Disgaea 1 without following the translation.
Well at least the one advantage of it being on PS3 is that the text is really clear if you needed to look anything up. If I had a PS3 I'd import it but... may as well wait and get the US version, probably have one by then.

I just play the Disgaea games until I get bored, though without using stuff like the Nekomatas, which for the first 2 took what... 120-130 hours or so? The only really tedious bit was the damned pirates - if I see Ambling Pirates in Disgaea 3 I swear... I don't usually get all the extras but meh, that's still more hours of fun than I get out of most games.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 01:14   Link #16
kujoe
from head to heel

For importers, playing Disgaea 3 is as simple as placing the disk inside the PS3. PS3 games aren't region coded. (Not sure if this also applies to PAL gamers however.)

It's looks like a good game in the same vein as its predecessors, but it's too bad the 2D sprites aren't hi-res. It's also too much of a "numbers" game for me, however it has a nice charm of its own.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 17:08   Link #17
Zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
For importers, playing Disgaea 3 is as simple as placing the disk inside the PS3. PS3 games aren't region coded. (Not sure if this also applies to PAL gamers however.)
PAL games are fine, but not all of them support 480i/p (and vice versa for US res -> PAL res). Of course this isn't a problem if you're playing HD though.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 02:06   Link #18
Keiichi no Hibi
THIS. IS WHO I AM.

Send a message via AIM to Keiichi no Hibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka View Post
Etna is in Disgaea 3.

You can see her tail right at the top next to Laharl's cape and Flonne's tail along with some other NIS characters.
Uh, she's also in the opening (which I linked to a couple posts up) with Laharl, Flonne, Axel, Marona, Asagi, and other cameos.
Keiichi no Hibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 00:21   Link #19
gabbytay
Banned

Disgaea 3 : Absense of Justice

Anybody still playing this. Too bad this game would have beem much cooler if they incorporated a multilayer function for this game.
gabbytay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-27, 08:35   Link #20
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

With so many JRPGs coming out this autumn, I am still thinking to get this one, no matter what. I even managed to wait for a western release (I would have imported it straight away but in the end I spent my money on Senjou no Valkyria). The only thing that makes me a bit uncertain is that, being a bit "dated" on the technical aspects (yes, it does look like a PS2 game), I'll probably either end up buying it used, or I'll wait a bit more for some discount or price-drop.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote