AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2012-04-19, 16:34   Link #21
AnimeFan188

CISPA Isn’t ‘Son of SOPA’ (But That’s Not Saying Much)

"House action starts Apr. 23 during what has been dubbed “Cybersecurity Week.”
The Senate will act later. Two distinct paths have emerged. One allows companies
to share with the government a narrowly defined set of information that protects
privacy and respects civil liberties. The other is a more ominous path, creating new
government surveillance capabilities with little restriction on abuse.

This Congress has dealt with dozens of bills relating to cybersecurity; most are now
dead or dormant. The odds-on favorite to emerge in the House follows the ominous
path: CISPA, formally known as the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act.
It’s also the target this week of a grassroots campaign aimed at raising awareness
of the serious risks the bill poses. Internet users are being urged to call or write
their members of congress and push for changes or vote against the bill as it now
stands."

See:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...s-cispa-cyber/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 16:57   Link #22
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
The United States of Corporate America...
you left out a few words

The United Police States of America, Inc.
Old 2012-04-20, 08:33   Link #23
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
^ Which is why Ron Paul seems to attract a good portion of people. Due to his isolationist beliefs, that we should stop playing World Police with the entire world. With the way our economy is at the moment. While (information received by Sofiel) China is up to something in their list. Since it seems they've been preparing for something for a long time.
China is corporate loaning and backstabbing. America has been corporate debt and backpedaling for the last two decades.

Even if Ron Paul is related to a Nazi aprty, I seriously doubt he'd attempt anything like passing a social darwinist bill or anything else people would backhand him for; his isolationism and anti-FEMA outspokenness still makes him my no. 1 choice even if he turns out to worship Satan and wants to name his kid Adolf.

Ron Paul, or don't let there be an America. God forbid Ronmey getting office. He's so cuckoo cuckoolander I don't even want to imagine what new and inventive ways he'll use to flip America upside down. Or think it was Ronmey. God, I've only been keeping track of Paul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
And we haven't even gotten spiffy Armored Cores to play with. God knows we're headed down that path.
"Reading! Reading! Viva la resistance! Haha~! Oh. i just wanted to say hi."
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 18:31   Link #24
Dr. Casey

CISPA passed in the House

America sucks
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 18:38   Link #25
Sobonok

By a vote of 248-168. It seems that CISPA got a last minute rush to success in the House. I don't understand exactly how CISPA is succeeding when SOPA/PIPA didn't.. Then I read the quote "This is the last bastion of things we need to do to protect this country," by Rep. Mike Rogers. From my resources, it seems that GOP's support helped pass this in the House.
Sobonok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 19:40   Link #26
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobonok View Post
I don't understand exactly how CISPA is succeeding when SOPA/PIPA didn't..
cause the giants like Google deemed it A-OK as long as it doesn't affect their $ and day-to-day operations

biggest losers in this battle are alphabet soup NGOs like EFF ACLU etc
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 19:44   Link #27
flying ^

oh and get this, FBI can already do things mentioned in CISPA without passing it at all.

I think it was already demonstrated a year ago when FBI (and enabling tech co's) completely shut down some nasty Estonian botnets.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirh...without-cispa/
Old 2012-04-26, 20:55   Link #28
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
cause the giants like Google deemed it A-OK as long as it doesn't affect their $ and day-to-day operations

biggest losers in this battle are alphabet soup NGOs like EFF ACLU etc
Just another sign that both sides of the aisle are morphing into corporate puppets and we're in the United Corporations of America.
Old 2012-04-26, 20:56   Link #29
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Just another sign that both sides of the aisle are morphing into corporate puppets and we're in the United Corporations of America.
United Corporate Police State of America, Inc. The Best Government Money can buy.

Voting power will be base on how many shares you own/control.
Old 2012-04-26, 20:59   Link #30
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

"E corporati uber alles" should go on the money... (wow, now there's a linguistic mangle)
Old 2012-04-26, 21:00   Link #31
GDB

It must be good, it says "uber"!
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 21:12   Link #32
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Still waiting on my Armored Core. And my ticket off this rock. God knows we're headed that way...
Old 2012-04-26, 21:15   Link #33
Dr. Casey

Your new avatar is pretty kawaii, Zelos. What character is that?

(Yeah this is off-topic but what's the point in stressing about America being terrible as usual, not like I can do much about it anyway)

edit: Xellos, I mean

wtf is wrong with me

Last edited by Dr. Casey; 2012-04-26 at 21:34.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-26, 21:27   Link #34
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

gotta admit... SOPA was intrusive, cumbersome for day-to-day operations, especially for someone who runs youtube. CISPA by comparison is painless.
Old 2012-04-26, 21:29   Link #35
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
gotta admit... SOPA was intrusive, cumbersome for day-to-day operations, especially for someone who runs youtube. CISPA by comparison is painless.
Don't be stupid. It's not a good idea to break the internet for Big Content. That doesn't automatically mean that breaking the internet for the intelligence agencies is any smarter.

Edit: Oh, right, you're ignoring me because I always call you out on your racism. At least the rest of the posters will be able to see this.
Old 2012-04-26, 21:31   Link #36
GDB

Quote:
CISPA by comparison is painless.
And getting punched in the face is painless compared to getting shot in the lung. I wouldn't want either to happen. What's your point?
Old 2012-04-26, 21:36   Link #37
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Every single one of these bills break the fundamentals of the technologies -- passing any one of these bills is likely to have the rest of the world "routing around the US" as an endgame. The people pushing these bills are *both* stupid and greedy - and they really don't *care* if it breaks the Internet because they're modern analogue of the whale-oil lamp industry.
Old 2012-04-26, 21:40   Link #38
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well...that's one way to get an isolationist policy enacted......
Old 2012-04-26, 21:41   Link #39
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Don't be stupid. It's not a good idea to break the internet for Big Content. That doesn't automatically mean that breaking the internet for the intelligence agencies is any smarter.

Edit: Oh, right, you're ignoring me because I always call you out on your racism. At least the rest of the posters will be able to see this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
And getting punched in the face is painless compared to getting shot in the lung. I wouldn't want either to happen. What's your point?
i'm saying painless AND least evil for the likes of big internet and ISPs... they'll just hand in crucial data to the likes of FBI, for example, to thwart some nasty african e-phishing, AZN and eastern euro botnets.

you can hope all day long that CISPA won't pass, but at the end of the day FBI and big internets are closely collaborating

give this a good read

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirh...without-cispa/
Old 2012-04-26, 21:42   Link #40
GDB

Yeah, I'm sure they won't eeeeeeeevvvveeeeeerrrrr abuse it for anything except euro botnets. Are you so sure we're the ones "hoping all day long"?