AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-04-28, 08:12   Link #681
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

The best part of the movie was the first nine minutes featuring the God-warriors. I don't know what I watched for the next hour and a half.

Can I redo my choice of spending valuable time on this movie?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 08:48   Link #682
brocko

No, you can (not) lol

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 09:08   Link #683
Helius

For what it's worth I thought the "prologue" i.e. the space battle leading all the way to Shinji escaping the Wunder was exceptionally well done with godly music and kickass animation/cinematography.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 09:21   Link #684
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Lol. So 2.0 was crap, and 3.0 somehow turned into even worse crap from what I hear... Oh boy. This is going to be fun .
Only if you hate Shinji being complicated and conflicted, and the plot likewise being complicated and conflicted. And also if you hate Asuka being awesome.

If you hate those three things, then yes, this movie sucks.

If you want Shinji to "man up" and be decisive... if you want the Eva story to give you easy answers and simple conclusions, and you hate Asuka... then this movie is NOT for you.
Old 2013-04-28, 09:36   Link #685
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Only if you hate Shinji being complicated and conflicted, and the plot likewise being complicated and conflicted. And also if you hate Asuka being awesome.

If you hate those three things, then yes, this movie sucks.

If you want Shinji to "man up" and be decisive... if you want the Eva story to give you easy answers and simple conclusions, and you hate Asuka... then this movie is NOT for you.
For what it's worth, the animation quality was top-notch and I enjoyed the way it was integrated with 3-D graphics, such as when the bridge of the Wunder was elevated to its combat position. Of course, 3-D animation still suffers on occasion from poor depiction of real-world physics, such as when the fleet of vessels around the Wunder bobbed up and down like toy ships in the wake of explosions. But, for the most part, I felt that computer graphics were used seamlessly throughout the movie.

But like many others in this thread, my big Q is this: What happened to Rebuild 2.5? Rebuild 3.0 could have been enjoyable, if the context and set-up weren't so completely missing.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 09:59   Link #686
hai_san

Sugoi!!! Evangelion enter 30th century but also a homage of the 80s with Nadjia of blue waters/Yamato/Capt Garlock(Misato becomes GAR). The animation was absolutly brilliant, but did i just enter another trainwreck? Can't really find any fault with Shinji behavior this time because clearly he was the hero and did everything right(in the previous ep)!

But now the world is doomed/changed because of his actions(damn storywriter!) causing the 3rd impact.
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 09:59   Link #687
matrigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
everyone would've just turned to goo like in EoE
not really.

Spoiler for spoiler:

actually - a wild idea appeared in my mind just now. regarding kaworu's "This time, I'll be sure to bring you happiness" at the end of eva 2.0

what if every ending there was, for the evangelion series was true, but kaworu / seele / shinji / another party travelled back in time (or rather, "reset the story) until an ending occures that the involved party will find "appropriate".

i know that this sounds very adventurous, but we are talking about the eva universe here in which pretty much nothing is impossible at this point anymore.

also - with the "appropriate end" showed in 4.0, it would leave the previous endings and movies worth watching and somehow fitting into the whole story, making this series a trully long-lasting epic.

well, otherwise all the classic evangelion would go to waste, imho.
matrigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 10:05   Link #688
Dop
Mmmm....

I loved it.

People are going on about the big change in scenario between the second and third movie, about missing context, and needing a 2.5 to fill in the gap.

But I think they're all missing the point.

I think it's completely intentional. We, the viewers, are meant to feel the same kind of disorientation that Shinji feels, and the same sense of not knowing what the hell has been going on since the last time.
That is very much the impression I got.

Let's face it, Anno could have taken the safe option here and made a shiny new set of movies which were just a simple retread of the original series. But he took the more risky option of making it very different. And for me, that makes it eminently watchable.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 10:18   Link #689
matrigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Let's face it, Anno could have taken the safe option here and made a shiny new set of movies which were just a simple retread of the original series. But he took the more risky option of making it very different.
the problem here is that he used valuable screen time for non-important technical tohuwabohu and explaining why the jailbait stayed fresh for so many years, INSTEAD of driving the plot further.

and this is IMHO, what most of the fans are angry about and not the alternative story-telling per se.
matrigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 10:25   Link #690
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dop View Post
i loved it.

People are going on about the big change in scenario between the second and third movie, about missing context, and needing a 2.5 to fill in the gap.

But i think they're all missing the point.

I think it's completely intentional. We, the viewers, are meant to feel the same kind of disorientation that shinji feels, and the same sense of not knowing what the hell has been going on since the last time.
That is very much the impression i got.

Let's face it, anno could have taken the safe option here and made a shiny new set of movies which were just a simple retread of the original series. But he took the more risky option of making it very different. And for me, that makes it eminently watchable.
Thank you!!
Old 2013-04-28, 10:37   Link #691
dnab
anime berkeley

As quick verdict, thumbs up from me for Q.

I was old enough to have screened Eva TV AND Nadia. Lots of love for Nadia until the series went to the islands. Lots of hate when the last two Eva episodes first aired. Fans hoped for a major Shinji kick ass in EoE but ended up with 3I and "kimochi warui". Heck what sucks today is canon tomorrow.
dnab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 10:51   Link #692
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
I think it's completely intentional.
So if it's intentionally bad, that's somehow an excuse.
Uhhh... no.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 11:02   Link #693
hai_san

I think after the emotional turmoil i will watch some MJP or Chihaya to calm my mind, to get "light" entertainment.
Old 2013-04-28, 11:16   Link #694
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hai_san View Post
I think after the emotional turmoil i will watch some MJP or Chihaya to calm my mind, to get "light" entertainment.
Because up to now, Eva has always been "light"...?
Old 2013-04-28, 11:29   Link #695
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Quote:
I think it's completely intentional. We, the viewers, are meant to feel the same kind of disorientation that Shinji feels, and the same sense of not knowing what the hell has been going on since the last time.
No. That's called slowly building atmosphere. That's the kind of thing Satoshi Kon did well in his movies.

What 3.0 (and the new material in 2.0) is doing is called making shit up as you go along. They're forcibly trying to be SO DEEP and confuse you instead of naturally fostering a mysterious universe.

Quote:
Let's face it, Anno could have taken the safe option here
But he did. Now there's no ending in sight and each new movie is leaning closer toward the idea that the series will drag itself out as long as it keeps making money.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 11:35   Link #696
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
I loved it.

But I think they're all missing the point.

Let's face it, Anno could have taken the safe option here and made a shiny new set of movies which were just a simple retread of the original series. But he took the more risky option of making it very different. And for me, that makes it eminently watchable.
I may have a dislike for Shinji that borders on unhealthy, but you're still 100% correct. Over-all, I really dig the new Evangelion movies, and I remember initially thinking what a sell-out this "re-do" was going to be, as it had sounded like he really was going to just play it safe and re-master the original story. Hatred towards Shinji aside, I think he's done a fantastic job of telling an alternative story that still hinges on the turmoil anime's most emo character ever is going through.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 11:38   Link #697
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
I don't get why hating on a character who's not the blame for anything (despite the plot nonsensically acting like he is) is a thing.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 12:05   Link #698
hai_san

I think after part 2 Anno thought Evangelion became too much to normal shounen action genre with Shinji becoming "normal", so to counter this, part 3 he had to made Shinji as wimpy and shitty as ever so we can get the "old" Shinji back. Can't break the genre and then redo it?
Old 2013-04-28, 12:10   Link #699
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
No. That's called slowly building atmosphere. That's the kind of thing Satoshi Kon did well in his movies.

What 3.0 (and the new material in 2.0) is doing is called making shit up as you go along. They're forcibly trying to be SO DEEP and confuse you instead of naturally fostering a mysterious universe.
Ah, awesome. So you were part of the writing staff...? Please give us the inside scoop!
Old 2013-04-28, 12:20   Link #700
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
I wasn't aware Asuka Langley Soryu was featured in Rebuild. I do wonder how pirates got into Evangelion though.

Rebuild Shinji has never really been TRULY the problem. It's the balance of character screen time, the pacing, the dumbing down of specific characters to the point they reflect some of the modern anime tropes they were supposed to be against in the first place (lol Rei), and stupidly thrown in random plot elements like Mari Sue.

But anyhow, I'll probably be seeing this film in the next few days before I say anything more.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evangelion, remake