AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Guilty Crown

Notices

View Poll Results: Guilty Crown - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 33 26.61%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 16.94%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 12.90%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 19.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 8.06%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 4.84%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.81%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.61%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 2.42%
1 out of 10 : Painful 8 6.45%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-17, 00:53   Link #141
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

But Arisa's life wasn't in danger right at that moment. All she did was get roughly questioned by glasses dude because she was using a phone/not talking about Shu in the best way, he wasn't going to kill her.

That doesn't really call for an instant panty drop in my book.
Old 2012-02-17, 01:08   Link #142
blue_sora

Okay, if I'm not mistaken wasn't GHQ supposed to be a part of UN's aid or something? So now when it gets this messy they just going to clean their mess up with a nuke bomb? Regardless of innocent people who are not affected by the virus? Damn the UN is more tyrant than Shu in this series.

Kudos for this episode because it at least let me feel the ShuxInori vibes that I didn't feel before. And Haruka, if your plan does includes that your son's arm be cut off (even if it's going to level up somehow) you deserve to die with neo-Gai and Keido. Seriously.

Somehow I guess this is what they meant of shallow friendships in the interview. The friends who treat Shu nicely before are now betraying him and Yahiro, the one who betrayed him first is now the only true friend Shu has. If he disagrees with the coup d'etat, of course.

So now the only characters I want to see that survives in the end are: Shu, Inori, Yahiro, Kanon if she also disagrees with the coup d'etat, and Ayase (she clearly disagrees, and I won't put past Argo and Tsugumi to lie to her about Shu's fate so that she will follow them). They all should swim to China and let the nuke bomb burned the rest of characters. The end.
Old 2012-02-17, 01:18   Link #143
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
On another note, I'm going to pretty strongly disagree with a lot of the criticism Arisa is getting this episode. It seems to me that a lot of people are basically condemning her for not valuing her virginity more than her life. She was in a situation where as she saw it she knew too much and could be eliminated at any time. What she did was what she felt was necessary to survive and fight back.

Personally, I'm more bothered by the fact that she somehow managed to get pretty much the entire school to turn against Shu and did so without tipping off what few allies he had than I am by her morals. That development strains credibility.
But Arisa's life wasn't in danger right at that moment. All she did was get roughly questioned by glasses dude because she was using a phone/not talking about Shu in the best way, he wasn't going to kill her.

That doesn't really call for an instant panty drop in my book.
Evidently she felt the situation warranted what she did or else she would have acted differently. It's clear that she's rather desperate in that scene.
Old 2012-02-17, 01:49   Link #144
blue_sora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Evidently she felt the situation warranted what she did or else she would have acted differently. It's clear that she's rather desperate in that scene.
Actually I thought somehow Mana taking over her or something because her eyes were red at first. But later I was wrong.

I hated Arisa more because she do it with that Nanba guy, the most backstabbing person and the guy who always wanted to rape every helpless girl he sees. I mean if you decide to become a whore how about do it with Yahiro? Manipulating the right-hand man is much better than that stupid Nanba guy.

Well it was partly Shu's fault too that he put the two backstabbers in a position of trust. I don't know what he and Yahiro was smoking at that time to make a decision like that.
Old 2012-02-17, 02:13   Link #145
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

I like Gai's new look, but he just lost huge points for me by cutting off Shu's arm like that. I also see Arisa has become a fine bitch. Seriously hate Souta though, three times he's backstabbed Shu. And I think this one did it for their friendship. If you could even call it that, considering Shu was never able to understand people without looking at their void.

Pretty disappointing episode, but it definitely was the final nail in the coffin for 'Shoe'. Next, I can see Shu turning completely detached and cold. I'm hoping the irony keeps up and have Yahiro as the only true friend Shu will have left.

Ah, next Thursday can't get here quick enough.~
Old 2012-02-17, 02:14   Link #146
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
I won't be surprised if it will make the Moonbase scene in Gundam Seed Destiny looks tame, bodies popping everywhere.
On a side note, if you thought anything in GSD was a body dump, you haven't seen enough mecha anime. Go watch the Space Runaway Ideon movies; they just put up new torrents of them not long ago. There's a reason they call the director "Kill 'em All Tomino."
Old 2012-02-17, 02:18   Link #147
DeusExDiablous

Guys, we already have a character like this, he's wayy more badass and has his own theme song. Sephiroth!!! now all me need is shu is stop being a pussy and become CLOUD and f*cking destroy the neo Gai.
Old 2012-02-17, 02:22   Link #148
Arkard

One subtle thing I noticed was that Tsugame was telling Ayase not to go outside. Both of them are outside just in time to see Gai 2.0 and Shuu losing an arm though, so I assume something happened there.
Old 2012-02-17, 02:25   Link #149
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExDiablous View Post
Guys, we already have a character like this, he's wayy more badass and has his own theme song. Sephiroth!!! now all me need is shu is stop being a pussy and become CLOUD and f*cking destroy the neo Gai.
You do realize Cloud was a bit of an angsty character with motivation issues himself, right? Shu's a lot more like Cloud than even you give him credit for.
Old 2012-02-17, 02:33   Link #150
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
You do realize Cloud was a bit of an angsty character with motivation issues himself, right? Shu's a lot more like Cloud than even you give him credit for.
But there are two things different:
1. Cloud didn't go evil
2. Cloud's arm is intact

>.>
Old 2012-02-17, 02:39   Link #151
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
But there are two things different:
1. Cloud didn't go evil
2. Cloud's arm is intact

>.>
Erm, I thought it was pretty obvious they weren't exact copies of each other?

But Cloud did have several moments of temporary evil-ity under Sephiroth's control.
Old 2012-02-17, 02:49   Link #152
Terizent
Nonsense!

What the fuck did I just watch?

So basically Shu single handedly completed the Destroy Tokyo Tower mission (why didn't he just go alone then?), and in return, he gets his arm chopped off? Also, I like how Gai has an artificial eye after he gets revived from the dead. What were the students thinking? Without him, they'd be dead. What kind of people turn on their leader en masse right after he SAVES THEIR LIVES? Sure, he might have been acting like a jerkass, but I'll take being under strict command to being dead any day.

And where'd they get those guns?

The only people I'm watching GC for has dwindled to Inori, Segai, Yahiro, Shu, and Daryl. I'm expecting a 60% death rate. Hoping for a 100% rate on Soda, Gai, Keido, and Bushy Eyebrows.
Old 2012-02-17, 03:02   Link #153
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Guys, we have a discussion thread for the next episode previews. Use that thread to discuss future events. This thread is for discussing this episode.

Thanks.
Old 2012-02-17, 03:48   Link #154
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

I like how Yahiro somehow neglected to tell Shu that the students found out about their little Void secret, the secret that he created, before being sent off.

And I'm being sarcastic when I say 'like'.
Old 2012-02-17, 03:52   Link #155
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
On a side note, if you thought anything in GSD was a body dump, you haven't seen enough mecha anime. Go watch the Space Runaway Ideon movies; they just put up new torrents of them not long ago. There's a reason they call the director "Kill 'em All Tomino."
LOL. THIS. IS. AWESOME!

LOLZ.... I would definitely like Shu to go Ideon and destroy GHQ and FP in a single strike... And Gai somehow surviving the blast.
Old 2012-02-17, 04:57   Link #156
Aesthetic Shampoo

I cannot believe how much i hate this show. Plot is stupid, characters are stupid, everything about it is horrible. I don't get why people are saying it's been better starting the 2nd half. Maybe a little better, but nowhere good enough to comfort these crappy black feeling of frustration and anger i get whenever i watch this show. Half of the only 2 bearable things about this show (ayase and president) died this episode. Obviously the president. Not because she sold her body, even though that irks me, but because she was an idiot and because it was completely unnecessary. She could have simply just TOLD the guy about the you die when your void gets broken thing, and chances are he would have been "wtf shu that dick, heres the info on his plans". Who was she on the phone with anyway? And another thing. If she was gonna be a whore, why him? Glasses guy and ponytail guy, who were introduced as assholes, were assholes in every scene they were in, and tried to take advantage of every girl they run across...every time they show i wonder why they haven't been killed or at least locked in a cell, seriously. I'd rather she did it with yahiro or some nameless character. And btw, her 'coup' wasn't even a coup. It was just a backstabbing thing after shu did all the work. She could have easily just talked her way out of the situation in her room and then spread rumours or something, and the effect would probably would have been the same. Or maybe throw out some speech using the skills the got her president spot in the first place after shu did all the work to have everyone backstab. But she didn't, congratz, the worth of your virginity was equated to the amount of some information you didn't even need. And shu...i really hate him. Probably haven't hated anyone from anime so strongly ever, probably because he's the main. Introduced as a loser and a coward and was one throughout, though dickhead was added to the list these couple past episodes. I think it was mentioned before, but his plan was dumb cuz he could have solo'd the whole thing and no one would have gotten hurt or even died. And that garden thing he's always in with inori? How pretentious, get over yourself, dipshit, who do you think you are. When i heard that gai cut off his arm i was so hyped... but of course thing slut thing and bastard betrayal thing happened so i was feeling pretty shitty when it came to it. But hey, his cries of pain and "my arm!!!!!" was definitely worth i - "my kings power!!" GOD DAMMIT CAN I NOT ENJOY THIS SHOW EVEN A LITTLE??

Bottom line, this show is stupid. I'd probably drop this right now if i didn't want to end it on a note of rage. Though its probably going to get worse. REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO IT.
Old 2012-02-17, 05:07   Link #157
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terizent View Post
What the fuck did I just watch?

So basically Shu single handedly completed the Destroy Tokyo Tower mission (why didn't he just go alone then?), and in return, he gets his arm chopped off? Also, I like how Gai has an artificial eye after he gets revived from the dead. What were the students thinking? Without him, they'd be dead. What kind of people turn on their leader en masse right after he SAVES THEIR LIVES? Sure, he might have been acting like a jerkass, but I'll take being under strict command to being dead any day.

And where'd they get those guns?

The only people I'm watching GC for has dwindled to Inori, Segai, Yahiro, Shu, and Daryl. I'm expecting a 60% death rate. Hoping for a 100% rate on Soda, Gai, Keido, and Bushy Eyebrows.
1- Shu can't do it by himself(at least not 100% sure that he can solo it)
That why he need meat shield (sacrifice few people to save the rest).
Count how many dead and how many survived.
(Though if he want to only save himself and Inori he can just fly outside with her.)

2- Arisa have contact with Gai(GHQ) = easy access to weapon/guns.
Old 2012-02-17, 05:49   Link #158
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

On one hand I think this is actually a moment where I can see why the writers think this is "cutting edge". Now I can see it's actually made a genuine attempt rather than the pathetic attempts where it clearly doesn't realise it's actually doing the exact opposite and was creating something more akin to a Hollywood action flick.

On the other hand I can't tell whether this is good attempt or not, despite it's sincerity. All the students and Shu included seem to be acting like complete morons and this is actually probably close to what would happen in real life. I can't imagine a resistance like that not suffer from stupidity on a large scale. Hell even grown adults aren't much better. Just look at Libya for example. Things aren't exactly peachy there.The problem is, though that I don't know if that was entirely intentional or not because no one seems to point out that everyone is suffering from low IQ.

For one thing it all stems from the fact that Shu decided to be all kinds of stupid and tried to maintain such a bizarre degree of discipline. Throwing students in prison just because they decided to have a converstation? Making students behave by threatening to kill them? To be honest I can't sure whether such a 180 degree swing is believable. On the one hand I can see it happening but on the other I just think it happened far too quickly. Any remorse for his actions that he displayed with Inori was really just token.

Then there's the whole Arise problem. So you just find out that Inori attacked and injured Arise. Wouldn't it be a good idea to talk to Arise about it? I mean she was injured for Christ sake. There's obviously going to be problems somewhere down the road if nothing is done about it. He went as far as to make Inori talk to Tsugumi when Tsugumi was feeling down. Was this just an uncharacteristic lack of foresight on Shu's part or did Shu conciously think he could just avoid the problem? We don't know, and for a crucial plot development we really ought to so I'm tempted to call it a plot hole.

Then there's Arise herself. Frankly I don't get why everyone is calling her a slut for using her body. I mean seriously it's not like she had a choice or anything. Or at least that's what I can only assume. I suppose the jig would've been up if the dickhead with the glasses looked at her call history, but why? If the call history said Gai then there wouldn't have really been a problem. Arise could've told Shu and still lead him into a trap. If the call history said GHQ however, then there really would've been a problem but then why would Arise just accept something that's coming from GHQ as legit? It's like that stupid Void Reader all over again. Is it because she was so desperate to have Gai back that she wanted to believe? It's plausable but we just have no idea. The writers didn't feel the need to give us any answers. We can make as many theories as we like but it's all just fanwaking. The other problem is how she'll deal with the dickhead with the glasses now that she's done with him. If she's seriously gonna let him off the hook then I'm going to really facepalm.

And then there's wingus and dingus. Someone please tell me how they got to be in such high positions and gain such a ridiculous amount of trust with Shu when they act like dickheads all the time, threatened to kill Arise and nearly assulted Ayase that one time? We never even got to see why their voids were worth the trouble. But the big problem is that we don't even know what they're trying to achieve anymore. They know they can't trust the GHQ so what makes them think they'll have it any better if they oust the guy who's already been giving them preferential treatment? Again, we don't know. It just seems like the writers created these dickheads to be dickheads for no reason.

And then there's the whole issue with the dying if your voids break. Why is that even an issue? Risk vs benefits, people. Risk vs benefits...

And then there was the betrayal itself and the bizarre UN scene. Triple R pretty much nailed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Yeah, Shu's been acting like a cruel and petty Dictator, but he actually did serve the key role in saving all of the students. To turn on him at that point makes them look like ungrateful scumbags, to be brutally honest about it. And the thing is that most of them weren't coming off like that before.

So I have no clue in this world what this anime's writing staff is now going for thematically. I have my doubts that even they know.

It's disappointing, because for the past several episodes I could at least see a method to the madness. But this episode... this episode was simply pure madness. All the great production values in the world can't hide that for me.

The UN voting to "terminate" Japan just puts it over the top for me too. I guess most of the world's nations in Guilty Crown are run by genocidal madmen now.
I can genuinly see now that it was trying to be ambituous but...I just don't think it was done as well as it could've been.
Old 2012-02-17, 05:50   Link #159
Bordix

I'm still suspicious about Gai. You know, he's the type of guy who is always a step ahead. I won't be surprised if this was all part of his plan to save everyone. The next thing you know he's pulling out this huge fly swatter void thing out of someone's ass, and literally take down those incoming bombers.

And as for Tsugumi, I don't think she's knows or even took part in the coup d'état. She mentioned before that something was 'off' with everyone when battle preparations came. So it's likely she has no clue about it and stopping Ayase was just a way of protecting her since she's pretty brash with her actions.
Old 2012-02-17, 05:58   Link #160
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordix View Post
I'm still suspicious about Gai. You know, he's the type of guy who is always a step ahead. I won't be surprised if this was all part of his plan to save everyone. The next thing you know he's pulling out this huge fly swatter void thing out of someone's ass, and literally take down those incoming bombers.

And as for Tsugumi, I don't think she's knows or even took part in the coup d'état. She mentioned before that something was 'off' with everyone when battle preparations came. So it's likely she has no clue about it and stopping Ayase was just a way of protecting her since she's pretty brash with her actions.
Surely they would have seen Gai cut off his arm and then leaving,there is really just as bad.
Closed Thread