Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-01-07, 14:03   Link #1
Taydn
TBA

Send a message via AIM to Taydn
What is your favorite American released game?

I know that this forum is about Japanese/Anime based games but... well I know that those aren't the only games that ppl play.

So I was wondering what is you favorite American released game and what you liked about it ( you know what was it's good and bad points).

Also if you would play it again or would you recomended it for someone else to play.

Mods please close this thread if you feel it is not needed.
Old 2006-01-07, 16:45   Link #2
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Fallout 2, definitely. While Fallout had a better setting and was a better post-apoc game than Fallout 2, the sequel had some tweaks to the system and had a much funnier and richer setting than its predecessor. They are two of my absolute favourite games, and Fallout opened up the market for deeper CRPG's on the PC platform again such as the excellent Planescape: Torment and the Baldur's Gate series.

With the way the industry is today I doubt we'll ever see games like these again.
Old 2006-01-07, 16:48   Link #3
hamiko_san
September Jellyfish

10 things more, you never know.

Last edited by hamiko_san; 2007-12-25 at 16:52.
Old 2006-01-07, 22:45   Link #4
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
I gotta go with srb on this one Fallout 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. Lucas Art adventure games like Full Throttle, DIG and Grim Fandango are up there too along with Seirra's Quest for Glory, and Space Quest games. Man, the early to mid 90s was truely a golden era for PC gaming, I miss those days
Old 2006-01-07, 23:00   Link #5
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

-Command and Conquer: Red Alert 1-2 series. Pretty simple and fun RTS game.
-Crazy Taxi (not really sure about this one). It's just fun. Too bad you can't really wreck anything. I'll probably try the Burnout series soon though.
Old 2006-01-07, 23:34   Link #6
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
God of War because of its great narration and extremely fluid yet challenging gameplay. Only bad boints of this one would be.........to short.......
Old 2006-01-08, 02:20   Link #7
Taylor--
!

Warcraft/Starcraft games, and an assortment of FPS games.

Warcraft and Starcraft have addicting/fun gameplay, and awesome multiplayer.
I recommend them to anyone who likes RTS, or who's willing to try the genre.
Old 2006-01-08, 09:45   Link #8
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
-Crazy Taxi (not really sure about this one).
Sega made that game.
Old 2006-01-08, 10:23   Link #9
Taydn
TBA

Send a message via AIM to Taydn
Well MXG the burnout series is really good. you get mad points for recking your car and everyone elses car in the process.

oops. you are so right Shiryuu that was meant for you. I was thinking of MXG when he mentioned God of War and I didn't comment on it.sry.

But on another note GoW is really good I broke 2 controllers betting it on god mode.

Last edited by Taydn; 2006-01-08 at 14:17.
Old 2006-01-08, 11:13   Link #10
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taydn
Well MXG the burnout series is really good. you get mad points for recking your car and everyone elses car in the process.
I think you replied to the wrong person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit
Sega made that game.
Sega of America or Sega of Japan or Sega of Europe?
Old 2006-01-08, 12:07   Link #11
Taylor--
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiryuu
Sega of America or Sega of Japan or Sega of Europe?
Sega of America I'm sure, Full Auto doesn't seem like a Japanese game.

EDIT: Yeah, http://www.pseudointeractive.com/ . The Developers Canadian it looks like, look at the bottom.

Last edited by Taylor--; 2006-01-08 at 12:19.
Old 2006-01-08, 13:01   Link #12
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Diablo II. Nothing beats maniac clicking.

And I suck at Counter Strike 1.6.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Old 2006-01-08, 15:13   Link #13
あああ

Diablo and Starcraft - I wasted so many hours of my life clicking like a madman.
Morrowind - There is so much to do in one little single player game.
Halo: Combat Evolved - Legendary mode is too much fun.
Old 2006-01-08, 21:46   Link #14
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

anything Warren Spectre touched (perhaps with the exception of Thief 3):

Thief 1/2
Deus Ex 1/2
System Shock 2

The Thief games are still unparalled in the sheer level of immersion. This is the way a stealth game should be put together, and I still haven't played anything in the genre that can top them. Deus Ex and System Shock were clever fusions of FPS and RPG elements with deep stories. All of these games are unparalleled in their respective, albeit narrow, genres.

Also...

Starcraft/Warcraft 3- Starcraft is the best RTS ever....period

Civ 3/Alpha Centauri- these two games together are the best turned based strategy games ever....period

Freedom Fighters- a balanced, immersive 3rd person shooter with squad tactics...just very polished.

free radical games- Second Sight and Timesplitters FP- Second Sight has one of the best stories I've ever seen in a game, and Timesplitters is the smoothest FPS I've ever played on a console...sorry Halo.

Legacy of Kain games- Best story and voice-acting in a game/games series ever....period

That's just scratching the surface. While I prefer games from across the ocean, the U.S. churns out it's fair shar of stellar games.
Old 2006-01-09, 20:24   Link #15
LovelyLostSoul
Lost

At the moment mine has to be World of Warcraft. A wonderful mmorpg with beautiful scenery and amazing game play if you dont have a crappy computer which could make you lag... and there are a lot of immature kids on the there, but if you can learn to ignore them it can be an incredible game. I recommend it if you're are a fan of Blizzard's other games.
Old 2006-01-10, 00:41   Link #16
ayyo

Blizzard games - Diablo2, Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos & The Frozen Throne, World of Warcraft

WC3:FT is still installed on my computer from when I brought the game and I still log on occassionally @_@
Old 2006-01-10, 02:52   Link #17
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

As a hardcore (domestic) computer gamer, this is a hard topic. Mentioning just one game meaning choosing one example out of one genre possibly of your preference; hardly a fair judgment considering there are great games in each genre, and we can't compare genres. It's more sensible if I choose a favorite game of mine in each genre that best represents the finest of its category has to offer. As for hybrid genre games, they're eligible for a mention in all the genres they have fused with.

First Person Shooter - Half-Life
I know it's a clichéd answer, but as a self-respecting FPS fan (and a computer gamer as a whole), I must mention this seminal game as the top of its kind. I play a lot of FPS' (I've been FPSing since Wolfenstein 3D), and this remains one of the best games the medium of computers has to offer. Its (positive) repercussions on the FPS genre cannot be denied. This is the game that broke the stereotype that FPS gamers are just mindless people who likes to kill things and blow stuff up. Innovative AI, imaginative level design, high immersion factor, and the sense of adventure are just of the few things that Half-Life excelled at, and forever raised the bar of what FPS games are. Not to mention it arguably spawned the biggest mod base, and churned out massive amounts of mods, including the prominant Counter-Strike, and subsequently popularized the idea of mods as an important aspect of a game.

Honorable Mentions: Deux Ex original (the 2nd, Invisible War, was disappointing), System Shock 2, Clive Barker's Undying, Unreal Tournament series, Battlefield 2, Duke Nukem 3D, Tron 2.0. I could go on and on, but I think I better stop here.

Third Person Shooter - Max Payne (the series)
First game to implement bullettime. By itself, that accomplishment may garner a few comments of "so what?". But that bullettime is critical in adding that style that is so important to the feel of the game. Nothing like shooting dodging out a corner with dual uzis blazing 3 unsuspecting enemies, and watching their bullet ridden corpse drop the to the ground, all in suh-weet stylish slow motion. Great. Gaming. Moment. Perfect merging of concept and function. Of course, a gritty film noir story also helps.

Honorable Mentions: American McGee's Alice, MDK 1&2.

Strategy - Starcraft & Expansion
Perhaps Starcraft is to Strategy is what Half-Life is to FPS; a yardstick in which all others of its kind is measured up to. The perfect balance between three distinct entities stands the test of time. Nearly a decade since its release this game is still played regularly around the world, and still a staple in LAN/multiplayer gaming today, speaks volumes of its greatness.

Honorable Mentions: Civilization series, Alpha Centauri, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 1, Homeworld.

RPG - Planescape Torment
You are the Nameless One. You awake in a mortuary, devoid of memories. And right then, you'll meet one of the many prismatic characters in the game, Morte. A grand journey of an immortal man searching for himself. The places you'll go, the the people you'll meet. This is a very unique story that is worthy of an experience for anyone. Roleplaying in its truest sense.

Honorable Mentions: Diablo series, Neverwinter Nights, Knights of the Old Republic 1&2, Fallout series, Baldurs Gate series, Icewind Dale series (R.I.P. Black Isle).

Adventure - Grim Fandango
This game shattered my preconception on adventure games. This game had unique and stylish art and direction, creative and plausible puzzles, and an interesting story line to boot. One of the best adventure/puzzle games in existence.

Honorable Mentions: Syberia, Outcast.

Scrollers - Raptor: Call of the Shadows
Spent a large chunk of my elementary life playing this game. Arguably the best vertical scrolling airplane shooting game ever on computer gaming. I remember I was running this game on a blistering fast 486 with 33/66(turbo) MHz CPU. I still even have the original retail floppies of this game! Ahh nostalgia. Too bad the original floppy version doesn’t operate on Windows XP .

Honorable Mentions: Tyrian.

Others - Grand Theft Auto 3. EDIT: Ah yes srb, Dungeon Keeper is developed by Bullfrog, an UK developer. Forgot their origins, shame on myself. But there's no denying it is an unique great game unfortunately under recognized. I know my mistake, I must've been thinking "American released game" more broadly as non-ero games. I should've re-defined what the scope of the title means to me.

I'm not much on flight sims, or sport games, or racing (although Need For Speed has been a guilty pleasure of mine), so I omitted their categories in my listings. You might have inferred, as a FPS fanatic, if I was forced to select one game as the favorite of mine, I'd choose Half-Life.

Last edited by Muir Woods; 2006-01-10 at 19:45.
Old 2006-01-10, 09:12   Link #18
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Isn't Dungeon Keeper a British game?
Old 2006-01-10, 15:57   Link #19
TTHX

I don't know if it's american made but damn Dawn of War is probably the best RTS in my opinion.
Old 2006-01-10, 16:36   Link #20
Grees
Ehhh

The best RTS i ever played was Total Annihilation, no other RTS even comes close to the fun i had with that game. Homeworld, Warcraft and Populous The Beginning were also great RTSes.

Best online shooter must be the Unreal Tournament serie, im still playing the original from time to times.

Best RPG for me would be Neverwinter Nights, mmorpg would be World of Warcraft, space-sim would be Freelancer.
Closed Thread