Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-10-06, 19:55   Link #921
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
There are plenty of examples of conquered countries that still retained enough self-identity to secede later.

But before asking how Ikta will do it, I'd like to ask why he'd do it. Does he care at all if the Empire's culture disappears?

Though Yatori will defend the Empire to the death. That's the big problem.
Ikta comes off as patriotic, but also completely pesimistic of his own country. Kind of the modern "I love my country, but also hate everything about it." attitude.
Old 2016-10-06, 22:06   Link #922
Rokumonsen
Fear the Spear

The Princess specifically said "lose a war", not "lose the empire".
Old 2016-10-06, 22:08   Link #923
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

It sounded to me like they agreed that they needed to lose the war to save the Empire.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-06, 22:50   Link #924
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Just so I am double sure I am on the same page here ... when you say "the problem is this" you mean with the series in general, I assume, but more specifically the weaknesses of the series as you speculate may impact the possibilities of the anime being a "successful financial investment" as well as any future anime adaptations, yes?
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Ikta comes off as patriotic, but also completely pesimistic of his own country. Kind of the modern "I love my country, but also hate everything about it." attitude.
Where in the world did you get that. Ikta hates this country about as much as the princess. He only appears to love 2 things. Yatori and science. He's said on multiple occasions he hates everything about this country and its methods. his only motivation to be where he is was to get Yatori away from a rotten system. The guy hates the idea of being a soldier.

Im the current vice-general of the DxD Army (aka the translators army.
We support translators efforts and i do not tolerate impatience by people waiting for translations

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6980252/ This is my fanfiction page i have 6 stories to check out if you guys are interested
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-06, 23:11   Link #925
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

He hates the government, but not the people.
I think he does care about everyone, not just Yatori.
Old 2016-10-07, 01:13   Link #926
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
He cares nothing about his country. He loves his friends (especially Yatori), and his friends are patriotic (especially Yatori).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
It sounded to me like they agreed that they needed to lose the war to save the Empire.
Yes, they do, but Ikta doesn't want to save the Empire. It's possible he wants to save the people in the Empire.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-07, 04:36   Link #927
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
He cares nothing about his country. He loves his friends (especially Yatori), and his friends are patriotic (especially Yatori).
He's firmly admitted he doesnt like Torway because of his pretty boy status. He tolerates him because of his ability. He is tolerable of Matthew. He wants to fuck haro. As for Yatori he's said on multiple occasions he's doing what he's doing to free Yatori from this country

Quote:
Yes, they do, but Ikta doesn't want to save the Empire. It's possible he wants to save the people in the Empire.
He wants to save Yatori. his mother is gone his father is gone the only person he cares about is Yatori. Simple as you like

We support translators efforts and i do not tolerate impatience by people waiting for translations

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6980252/ This is my fanfiction page i have 6 stories to check out if you guys are interested
Old 2016-10-07, 05:12   Link #928
Zefyris
図書館狼

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
He's firmly admitted he doesnt like Torway because of his pretty boy status. He tolerates him because of his ability. He is tolerable of Matthew. He wants to fuck haro. As for Yatori he's said on multiple occasions he's doing what he's doing to free Yatori from this country
He respects a lot torway for being able to remain "himself" during war. He gives a lot of importance to Matthew (his "my friend Matthew" aren't ironic here, Ikta considers Matthew as his friend and it was already like that in the first episode, those 3 as stated come from the same school, Ikta knows Matthew since several years).
I think most anime watchers probably thought that Matthew was mostly here for comic relief or something like that (if not right now, at least at first) but the fact is, it's Ikta who genuinely went toward Matthew to become his friend, and that Matthew was the first and only person since his mother and father died that made him want to become friends. For Ikta, Matthew has an immense value. Not as much as Yatori who is pretty much as a "twin sister and only remaining family" status, but you get the picture. He's Ikta's best friend. Ikta was attracted towards Matthew due to Matthew's qualities (qualities he's noit really self aware off ) as a person and a human.
And Ikta became more and more attached to Torway across the series.

As for Haroma, no, he doesn't simply 'want to fuck her".
Old 2016-10-07, 05:45   Link #929
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
These statements are wrong on so many levels that I have no idea how to reply.
Are we watching the same anime?
Old 2016-10-07, 05:57   Link #930
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefyris View Post
He respects a lot torway for being able to remain "himself" during war. He gives a lot of importance to Matthew (his "my friend Matthew" aren't ironic here, Ikta considers Matthew as his friend and it was already like that in the first episode, those 3 as stated come from the same school, Ikta knows Matthew since several years).
I think most anime watchers probably thought that Matthew was mostly here for comic relief or something like that (if not right now, at least at first) but the fact is, it's Ikta who genuinely went toward Matthew to become his friend, and that Matthew was the first and only person since his mother and father died that made him want to become friends. For Ikta, Matthew has an immense value. Not as much as Yatori who is pretty much as a "twin sister and only remaining family" status, but you get the picture. He's Ikta's best friend. Ikta was attracted towards Matthew due to Matthew's qualities (qualities he's noit really self aware off ) as a person and a human.
And Ikta became more and more attached to Torway across the series.

As for Haroma, no, he doesn't simply 'want to fuck her".
I admit to having missed a ton of stuff from the LN after the sinark tribe but honestly Matthew has been mostly comic relief. You dont get the deep connection you're talking about from the anime though i dont doubt it exists. Sure they talk about that stuff in a military sense but what i'm referring to is a personal level. he was more then willing to dismiss matthew if he had a chance.

As for Haro he was definitely after haro at first but as he said due to military regulations he cant act. (That and Yatori would never let him get the space. he tried to bed her quite a few times)

Ikta's relationship with Torway is mainly one of a commander and his best weapon. His ability wtih the rifle is something he values but on a personal level he doesnt like him and constantly reminds him of the pretty boy thing.

Yatori's is twin sister though i'd wager there's some serious tension under the surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForsaken View Post
These statements are wrong on so many levels that I have no idea how to reply.
Are we watching the same anime?
Yes we are. Most of what i've mentioned is personal opinion of the person. What most are looking at is the relationship from a militaristic side.

Old 2016-10-07, 08:06   Link #931
Arya

Quote:
The (Princess) goal in fact didn't sound like lose the war to save the empire, but more like lose the war in a way to make the empire progress into something better, where the better is ultimately directed to and beneficial for the people.
The structure of a country is a reflection of its culture to a certain extent so the moment you are ready to give up your own culture you are also undermining everything related to it. It sounds very "scientific", that's why Ikta will do it anyways. In a way the princess goal is more close to a revolution than anything else.
Or at least that's how it sounded to me.

Certainly Ikta's biggest issue of this whole scheme, is Yatori, as usual.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-07, 14:24   Link #932
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Pretty sure the intention here is for them to get occupied, but in the best terms possible; political representation, etc. Something along the lines of the UK.

And I'm gonna stick with my interpretation that Ikta only really hates the bureaucrats and not the culture or country itself.
Old 2016-10-07, 14:39   Link #933
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
There are plenty of examples of conquered countries that still retained enough self-identity to secede later.

But before asking how Ikta will do it, I'd like to ask why he'd do it. Does he care at all if the Empire's culture disappears?

Though Yatori will defend the Empire to the death. That's the big problem.
From what i seem to understand about Ikta is he detest the empire but the people in it are a different story. Its not the culture of the empire he hates its the corruption of the empire itself. Also, given that Yatori is literally bound to the empire which like you stated presents a very big problem. I honestly dont know if he will go along with it. But i do agree if there is anyone who can pull it off its him. I feel its unreasonable request as there are other ways to change the empire if the princess was in charge.
Old 2016-10-07, 15:21   Link #934
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
From what i seem to understand about Ikta is he detest the empire but the people in it are a different story. Its not the culture of the empire he hates its the corruption of the empire itself.
I don't think he actively hates the "culture", whatever that means, but he would consider sacrificing actual lives for so abstract a concept to be "unscientific".

Quote:
Also, given that Yatori is literally bound to the empire which like you stated presents a very big problem. I honestly dont know if he will go along with it.
Yes, and it's a problem no matter what kind of loss he goes for, limited or total.

Quote:
But i do agree if there is anyone who can pull it off its him. I feel its unreasonable request as there are other ways to change the empire if the princess was in charge.
I'm not so sure. Part of the problem is that the corruption's so widespread, not even the Emperor could do much about it. And it would take a coup (or a long series of coincidental deaths) to put the princess on the throne. Not to mention a coup would turn Yatori into his enemy, defeating the whole purpose.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-11, 16:47   Link #935
Rasty

^ You sure? She is serving the Empire. Doing a coup that would give the power back to the Empiror or the princess (rightfull heir of the throne, though not 1st place) is not something against the Empire. No matter what I find the plan given by the princess as hard, costly in lives and not leading to the best results possibe. Using "accidental deaths", political power and military one (even a coup) seems much more viable and better solution.

In the end it is based on the (in modern japan works so popular) belief, that republic is the best and all saving system and this is the only way to force it. While I am not gonna state democracy is bad or something like that, it deffinitely needs rather high level of education and society level to have at least a chance of being good and lets say it straight, there is nothing like that in the Empire. Just changing the ruler is better than forcing in a system that won't work anyway.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-11, 17:22   Link #936
abhjetgon

Heh, finally caved in & watched the final episode. Jean & ikta certainly ended their encounter on an interesting note, there's feeling that they're kinda similar in approach but different in ideologies.
I recently saw that 90% bluff & 10& possibility in Tokyo ravens as well, might just be a Japanese metaphor.
And of course the series ended with that princess' plan declaration with ikta. It's certainly going to put a crack in ikta & yatori (so much foreshadowing been there). [I HATE THIS, THEY'RE SO GOOD TOGETHER]
Good visuals, never much extravagant but it could've been a lot of worse. Good ost too. This wasn't anywhere a perfect series, and certainly has flaws - but it has some very good positives. Overall a good watch, 7/10. I'll be forever salty this wasn't a two-cour series, or the season 2 it's never going to get.
abhjetgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-12, 05:53   Link #937
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
^ You sure? She is serving the Empire. Doing a coup that would give the power back to the Empiror or the princess (rightfull heir of the throne, though not 1st place) is not something against the Empire. No matter what I find the plan given by the princess as hard, costly in lives and not leading to the best results possibe. Using "accidental deaths", political power and military one (even a coup) seems much more viable and better solution.

In the end it is based on the (in modern japan works so popular) belief, that republic is the best and all saving system and this is the only way to force it. While I am not gonna state democracy is bad or something like that, it deffinitely needs rather high level of education and society level to have at least a chance of being good and lets say it straight, there is nothing like that in the Empire. Just changing the ruler is better than forcing in a system that won't work anyway.
Well, that's why the princess mentioned Kioka culture to infiltrate. It doesn't matter which form of government is used if the culture of the country is corrupted. The best and most difficult way should be to "educate" the people, and that's kinda what the Princess was suggesting, that's why i think Ikta find it very scientific. Letting another (supposedly better/open minded/whatever) culture infiltrate your own should be a wise choice. Then sure it's far far easier said than done and it could backfire you, but at least on paper it's the right way.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-05, 22:06   Link #938
Top Sergeant

I got to listen to some of the English dub this morning and it was really well done.
Old 2018-02-12, 10:18   Link #939
AnimeFangirl

Finally got round to watching this. It wasn't bad at all, but even a non-light novel reader like myself could tell a lot had been cut out, particularly regarding the culture and political structure of the country and the backstories of Bada Sankrei and of the princess. I'm not a fan of those shows where you have to read the LN to get any sort of closure so I hope they'll make a season two someday.

Tags
fantasy setting, light novel adaptation, military school, politics, tactics, warfare