AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-19, 04:23   Link #1081
VentAileron

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
It's Imouto-chan from an alternate universe where time runs differently/she's the older sibling/whatever.

Imagine that that's already been revealed to be the case, then go back and read exactly how Kyon describes how she seems familiar to him when he's talking to her over the phone, and tell me it doesn't seem like an obvious foreshadowing...
I have to disagree. The person calling Kyon in alpha-timeline called him 'senpai', I doubt his sister would do that. Also, remember that The Organization did full scans of Kyon's life, confirming that he's a normal person. They probably did this too for his sister. If they did find out that she's not a normal person, I think they would have told Kyon.

A more probable candidate is:
Spoiler for Slider?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Haruhi's right... Tomoya is such a generic name, he should change it to something cool... something like... um... Daiuchuu Ginga... hm... no, still lacking something... I know! ETHANOL!
Ahem. Clannad jokes aside, I doubt Kyon's real name is a plot-device, rather something to keep the readers mystified.
Old 2011-04-19, 04:34   Link #1082
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Tomoya wouldn't be as funny though. Yuichi Aizawa would be funny.
Old 2011-04-19, 10:58   Link #1083
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentAileron View Post
I have to disagree. The person calling Kyon in alpha-timeline called him 'senpai', I doubt his sister would do that. Also, remember that The Organization did full scans of Kyon's life, confirming that he's a normal person. They probably did this too for his sister. If they did find out that she's not a normal person, I think they would have told Kyon.

A more probable candidate is:
Spoiler for Slider?:
The girl on the phone call and the mysterious appearing first-year are both the same person: an alternate universe Imouto. And if she's an alternate Imouto, then Itsuki's Organization wouldn't find anything odd about this universe's Imouto, because there isn't anything odd about this universe's Imouto. Plus who's to say that the relationship between the alt!Imouto and her alt!Kyon are the same as in this universe? In her universe, she might be the elder, so calling him "senpai" would not only be appropriate, since she's now a year younger than him, but also ironic, since it's a reversal of her experience. Or maybe she's just a brocon, but can't give away her identity, so she calls him the next closest thing...

And this is the "Spoilers and Speculation" thread. No need for spoiler tags, especially for seculation, which all of this is...
Old 2011-04-19, 13:04   Link #1084
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Tanigawa wouldn't do that, simply because it'd require giving Kyon a last name.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2011-04-19, 14:24   Link #1085
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I'm in the camp that thinks Slider-tan is an older Miyoko Yoshimura. Why else would she have a full name?
Old 2011-04-19, 14:28   Link #1086
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Pretty much. Even if I don't really believe that name theory, there has to be a reason for him going so far as to give a full name to a character who exists almost entirely in back story.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2011-04-19, 14:53   Link #1087
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well their is the theory to throw us all off track.
Old 2011-04-20, 03:53   Link #1088
VentAileron

I'm certainly not in the Miyoko camp. A name isn't enough of an argument for me.

I'm not in kenny's camp either. You have a point kenny, but your theory assumes things that are not stated in the story.
For example, for alt!Kyon's Sister and 'The Girl Who Magically Appeared' to be the same person would mean that alt!Kyon's Sister been born only a year later than this world's Kyon. Who am I to say that's not possible? But it's not stated in the story, thus not acceptable with my standards.
Besides, correct me if I'm wrong, your only argument that seems to support your theory is that Kyon saying 'the voice sounds like my sister's'. The rest seems to be constructed and interpreted, albeit correctly, to fit your theory.

Spoiler tags can't hurt, even in a thread like this.
Old 2011-04-20, 06:05   Link #1089
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Out of curiosity, does anybody have the original Japanese text for the:
Quote:
I only felt that it is a voice with a childish tone sounding like that of my
younger sister.
"I only wanted to hear Senpai's voice."
Even though I cannot read it, knowing how it is written would be important. For example if "Senpai" was emphasized in some way. There's still possibility that Mysterious Girl is Kyon's sister from some other time/space.

Yes, I'm entertaining the possibility that someone (Asahina with Kyon?) took her back in time. It's possible that while none of the SOS Brigade members were really paying attention, she kinda snuck into the crowd of freshman. Though, seems far less likely than slider-tan.

Although.... Miyoko Yoshimura instead? May work. There's no real proof that it was a slider-tan. We only believe she's (Mysterious Girl) is a slider because Haruhi's introduction was to meet aliens, time travlers, sliders, and espers. I offer evidence:

A. Kyon says that she looks older than her age.
Quote:
She [imouto] had already dressed herself up rather cutely and is now waiting for her
friend [Miyokichi], who simply does not look her age, to pick her up.
Just from this, it is possible that Miyokichi is a time-traveller, albeit one who looks much younger than Asahina. Also, since we don't know Asahina's age, it's very possible to assume that the organizing body for time-travellers can be of any age. As for teaching a person information, it can be as simple as in Matrix. If the computers in implanted in a person's brain, I don't see why that's not possible. Also,
Quote:
Even one year ago, Miyokichi had such an adult-like appearance, that you wouldn't think she
was my little sister's classmate.
It's very possible that Miyokichi is older than 11 years and originally was in Imouto's class to kind of watch Kyon. We also don't know her school now. This means she could have traveled forward in time, maybe after some time delay for her looks to alter slightly. Or she's has awesome shape-shifting abilities.

B.
Quote:
It seems like she had decided on what to order from the beginning, From
among the ten types of cake the waitress had brought as samples, she pointed at the Mont Blanc
without hesitation.
A really quick order could imply that she was ordered to order that order. :P For those slightly slower with the English there; she may have been told to order that specific cake by someone. I don't know who specifically, but it'd have to be either a future Kyon or Miyokichi. Time continuity and all.

Counterarguments (because we know it's important in all academic writing...):

A. Mature-looking 10/11 year old, deal with it. Also, shape-shifting? Get real.

B. Miyokichi may have seen the cake on the menu before and really wanted it.

I still think (Mysterious Girl) is a slider and very possibly Miyoko, but we can't completely disregard all possibilities. But why Miyoko?
Quote:
"How is it possible you don't remember..."
Phone conversation in alpha path. Alludes to the date with Miyoko. That and full name seems relatively important in the series.

A random, completely unsupported hypothesis, Miyokichi's potential older sister. He did entertain the idea of siblings as some point.

Lastly, regarding Kyon's name... Sakaki mentions that is "royal and imposing."

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
Old 2011-04-20, 06:20   Link #1090
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I'm in the camp that thinks Slider-tan is an older Miyoko Yoshimura. Why else would she have a full name?
You mean the Miyoko Yoshimura who we don't even know really exists outside of Kyon's story? One theory: Imouto has a (perfectly ordinary) friend Kyon knows as "Miyokichi" (a nickname). Kyon needs a subject for his story, embellishes upon Miyokichi, and voila, we have Miyoko Yoshimura. Do we ever even hear the full name outside of the story in 8 or Kyon's conversation with Itsuki in 9?
Old 2011-04-20, 14:31   Link #1091
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Do we ever even hear the full name outside of the story in 8 or Kyon's conversation with Itsuki in 9?
I think Kyon says her full name when he's drooling over her wishing she was his little sister in Vol. 9. I'll have to check.
Old 2011-04-20, 15:40   Link #1092
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I think Kyon says her full name when he's drooling over her wishing she was his little sister in Vol. 9. I'll have to check.
He does not.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
Old 2011-04-20, 22:11   Link #1093
ijuinkun

Quote:
You mean the Miyoko Yoshimura who we don't even know really exists outside of Kyon's story? One theory: Imouto has a (perfectly ordinary) friend Kyon knows as "Miyokichi" (a nickname). Kyon needs a subject for his story, embellishes upon Miyokichi, and voila, we have Miyoko Yoshimura. Do we ever even hear the full name outside of the story in 8 or Kyon's conversation with Itsuki in 9?
Volume 13 of the Tsugano Gaku "Haruhi" manga has an in-person appearance of Miyokichi (as opposed to an "imaginary" appearance in Kyon's story--we actually see Haruhi meeting Miyokichi). The artist draws her to appear about fourteen years old even though she is stated to be eleven.
Old 2011-05-06, 21:20   Link #1094
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Spoilers for Newtype are starting to come out now. There is a feature on the next volumes included. I apologize for the small size, but this is the biggest I've got:

Quote:
As with Dissociation, Surprise will concurrently tell the α and β stories. How will the two stories that started in Dissociation end? The series' longest story is a must-read. As soon as it's released, you should be opposite this super epic!

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2011-05-08 at 14:54.
Old 2011-05-07, 08:34   Link #1095
Ypocaramel

hmmm well, does that mean that we can infer some sort of conclusion for the two timelines?
Old 2011-05-07, 11:15   Link #1096
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maybe...or the author will keep them up for books 12 and 13. We don't know yet, do we?
Old 2011-05-07, 11:33   Link #1097
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

I don't think Tanigawa would stretch it out that long. It's been four years since volume nine came out, and this isn't a fanbase that likes to be jerked around. Chances are, that's probably the reason for the simultaneous releases of books 10 and 11.

Last edited by Kogetsu Shirogane; 2011-05-08 at 00:07. Reason: Harshness of tone.
Old 2011-05-08, 10:27   Link #1098
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypocaramel View Post
hmmm well, does that mean that we can infer some sort of conclusion for the two timelines?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Maybe...or the author will keep them up for books 12 and 13. We don't know yet, do we?
Assuming there's nothing missed in the translation above, it as much as says that the split storyline concludes in Surprise. Asking how, and not whether, it will end? Pretty telling..
Old 2011-05-08, 10:46   Link #1099
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
I don't think Tanigawa would stretch it out that long. It's been four years since volume nine came out, and this isn't a fanbase that likes to be jerked around. Chances are, that's probably the reason for the simultaneous releases of books 10 and 11.
Well, they were supposed to be originally one novel, but the 600 page length of the final version was too long for one binding for Kadokawa. The additional money coming in from a separate volume would also be a bonus.

Quote:
Assuming there's nothing missed in the translation above, it as much as says that the split storyline concludes in Surprise. Asking how, and not whether, it will end? Pretty telling..
Agreed. That line specifically stated the kanji for "The end of the two stories" so it's not an if, it's just like that line said: how. Just only 16 days left!

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2011-05-08, 13:14   Link #1100
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Spoilers for Newtype are starting to come out now. There is a feature on the next volumes included. I apologize for the small size, but this is the biggest I've got:

As with Dissociation, Surprise will consecutively tell the α and β stories. How will the two stories that started in Dissociation end? The series' longest story is a must-read. As soon as it's released, you should be opposite this super epic!
Just to nit-pick a little bit. Doesn't 同時進行means that "going on simultaneously?"
Closed Thread