AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 7 13.46%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 26.92%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 32.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 19.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 5.77%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.92%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-18, 18:16   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Hyouka - Episode 18 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Hyouka, Episode 18.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2012-08-19, 10:33   Link #2
bastek66

Oh, wow. So much for fanart material.
Spoiler for big pictures:
Old 2012-08-19, 17:31   Link #3
Gundamx

Double lol at second picture, and sub out at the usual place.
Old 2012-08-19, 18:15   Link #4
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler:
Old 2012-08-19, 19:02   Link #5
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

T-This... This is a date episode isn't it ? I mean, this is as close as a date episode as we'll get from this show isn't it ?! With Satoshi and Mayaka conveniently absent aside from the club-room, this is finally a proper date episode isn't it?!

And it looks like the theme in the preview is the same
Old 2012-08-19, 19:08   Link #6
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
T-This... This is a date episode isn't it ? I mean, this is as close as a date episode as we'll get from this show isn't it ?! With Satoshi and Mayaka conveniently absent aside from the club-room, this is finally a proper date episode isn't it?!

And it looks like the theme in the preview is the same
Let the date arc officially begin !
Old 2012-08-19, 19:29   Link #7
Bahamut
...lost in nothingness...

...i take it we will be seeing more moments next week?

...on the other hand...chitanda's choice of "literatures"...uh...i guess it goes well with the fact that she only recently stopped joining those morning exercises...

...well...shows coming to an end...will they be doing the last volume or leave as a movie?
Old 2012-08-19, 19:57   Link #8
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
2 Chitanda's "I'm curious" in 1 episode. OMFG. Her eyes are so beautiful. I think I'm starting to get an eye fetish.
Old 2012-08-19, 20:02   Link #9
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
...well...shows coming to an end...will they be doing the last volume or leave as a movie?
If you're curious about that, we have two threads where you could speculate what will happen after this episode.

On topic, I felt this was a lovely episode both content-wise and visual. I loved the change from afternoon to twilight while they were in the library. It really felt moving.

Edit: I also found it interesting and quite correct that this episode is the only one without an English title at the end. Fitting since it's the only short story not published in one of the novels.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-08-19, 22:23   Link #10
ellessarr
Banned

letīs wait the "houtaro haters" gona say on this episode, for me was a good way to show who houtaro is finaly try to change (thanks to chitanda), and this making her more happy, finally he start to "spend energy" for himself instead wait for the hypno eyes make him spend, was brilliant this "date" episode to make then become more "close" in the end even him say he's in debt with her for the help.
Old 2012-08-20, 00:20   Link #11
webkid94
*Author

The mystery was meh, didn't care but LOL the first half. Houtarou got infected by Chitanda's curiosity....QUARANTINE HIM! Seriously their reactions were so hilarious and made sense considering this is a guy who prides himself on doing nothing. Nice breather episode for sure.
Old 2012-08-20, 01:11   Link #12
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

hmm... dating in public library sounds good...

kinda plain but okay for me!
I like everyone's reaction when Houtarou said he's curious about something

umm... Dung beetles are cute?? are you serious, Chitanda???

in the end, there isn't too complex mystery... simple one but at least there's significant development in this couple... I wonder what Chitanda want to say because she looks blushing there.. ^^

hmm... trying to unsolve your teacher's past sounds interesting for me... let's try it!
Old 2012-08-20, 01:20   Link #13
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Hyouka is an interesting series in that the character development is so slow that you almost don’t notice it’s happening – but it’s there. The end of Kanya Festa was like a moment when you stand next to a 14 year-old relative you see frequently and realizing to your astonishment that he’s grown six inches, and you never noticed. It was a little more stark with Satoshi and Mayaka, but no less apparent with Houtarou – and he’s been developing at a glacial pace all along, even through the pre-Kanya arcs.

For my money, I still find Satoshi and Mayaka the more interesting pair. Chitanda has evolved the least of the main cast – she’s still largely a plot driver and comic device (and she excels as both), still mired in her disconnected world where mansions are “average” and life is full of new wonders waiting to be discovered. But Houtarou’s journey from a clichéd teenage version of The Dude (The Dude Abides) to fully-vested member of society has become far more interesting than I ever expected. And undeniably Chitanda is a major component of that – if she hasn’t developed much, she’s an indispensable element of Houtarou’s development and that makes her totally crucial to everything that happens in Hyouka. If the series spends its last month on well-crafted idyll I’m sure I’ll enjoy it, but I’m spoiled now – Kanya Festa left this cast in a fascinating place, and I really want to see where the road takes them from here.
Old 2012-08-20, 01:40   Link #14
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellessarr View Post
letīs wait the "houtaro haters" gona say on this episode, for me was a good way to show who houtaro is finaly try to change (thanks to chitanda), and this making her more happy, finally he start to "spend energy" for himself instead wait for the hypno eyes make him spend, was brilliant this "date" episode to make then become more "close" in the end even him say he's in debt with her for the help.
To play the role of "Houtarou Hater" for a moment: He was still rather cold towards her, not once did his frown ever leave his face in all the time he spent with her, and only acknowledges his appreciation that she accompanied him after she's safely gone.

With that out of the way, we get to see a different side to Houtarou this episode. One where he's developing a sensitivity about how he comes across to others, how he represents others . . . or, at least, whether what he says to others is substantive, rather than some glib throwaway line that's ultimately wrong. He starts out the episode with just such a line that, upon closer inspection, turns out to be in-doubt when neither Mayaka nor Satoshi seemed to recall events in the same way that he did.

One suspects that Houtarou, at the beginning of the series, might've shrugged his shoulders and went "whatever. Finding out the truth would waste energy." This time, he decides to look into it. His Classics Club chums, used to having to drag him kicking and screaming into things they need done, are naturally shocked by this development. Satoshi's over-the-top reaction was good for an initial laugh, but annoyed me after the first two seconds of it. Mayaka's reaction was better played, the concern in her voice completely belied by the expression on her face. Chitanda's reaction . . . typical Chitanda ... What could be so important to Houtarou Oreki that he gets off his ass to go find out more about it? Don't know, but it sure seems like it'd be fun to tag along!

Afterwards, it's just Houtarou and Chitanda, headed to the library. She offers him a ride, which he turns down. I'd say that it's safe to say that he's over what infatuation he might've had with her in the early part of the series. Instead, he puts her to work, having her do some spading in the time it'd take him to mosey on over to the library. Remembering his comical failure with kanji during the Cultural Festival arc, he's careful to spell it out to Chitanda.

At the library, Chitanda's spading confirms Houtarou's suspicions about why his old English teacher would have so many close calls with lightning. He then asks the library to find papers from the day he remembered the teacher watching the police helicopters. The answer to the mystery then becomes obvious to everybody, but Chitanda (who, at least, realized that something significant happened on 9 May of three years before); but we get some quality time between Chitanda and Houtarou, while we wait for the reveal.

The reveal . . . Houtarou's English teacher was focused on the helicopter that day because a couple of his mountaineering buddies were trapped on a mountainside in bad weather (they died.) Houtarou's glib remark at the start of the episode turns out to be tragically incorrect.

At the end of the episode, Chitanda presses Houtarou on why he wanted to look into the matter. The interesting thing here, and through much of this episode, is the look we get into how Chitanda sees Houtarou, and how that contrasts with how Houtarou sees Chitanda.

Chitanda sees him as someone who is very selfless, doing things for other people, but not so much for himself. Her estimation of him, and his sensitivity, grows when he tells her that he wants to be careful about how he represents the feelings of other people. She likes Houtarou. She offers him mushrooms. She asks about places he wants to see. She's touched when he shows a sensitive side.

Houtarou sees things differently. He finds her to be quite rude, far too readily excitable, and sees the fact that she was willing to accompany him on his quest as just a debt to be repaid. One that his expression suggests that, once it's paid, all that will happen is that they'll just be even.

What does all this mean? Perhaps it means that someone is going to be in for a firm adjustment of their expectations . . . either way, this is a good episode for one where not much really happens. Seven framed copies of Hyouka out of ten.
Old 2012-08-20, 01:49   Link #15
sky black swordman

^ Agreed on many of your points @GMT.

I really really enjoyed this episode. I love the character development .
And it looks like the preview is pointing to something.
Old 2012-08-20, 02:21   Link #16
supermegasonic

chitanda was curious about oreki being curious
and i didnt even realize until you guys mentioned that this is a date. i was thinking of them as partners in a mystery..but i guess that could be the same thing??
Old 2012-08-20, 03:08   Link #17
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Houtarou imagination of Eru on the backseat is telling something, isn't it? She doesn't just sit there, but hold onto him with eyes closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
He doesn't want to put out things about others that is wrong and not understanding how they felt. Maybe it does tie into the Irisu incident. In that case he misread what Irisu was actually after from him and put something out there that wasn't accurate. Made it seem like what the writer of that movie wanted was something different from her true intentions. In the end he missed the mark in several ways. After saying that Ogi liked helicopters he couldn't leave it at that if he felt that he might have been wrong.
I wasn't sure what their last conversation means, but I like your take on it the best. It seems he is more concerned about misunderstanding people than solving a mystery wrong. Maybe it is Eru's influent having an effect on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
What does all this mean? Perhaps it means that someone is going to be in for a firm adjustment of their expectations . . .
Someone mentioned this earlier, but I think this maybe the next major point for plots. Eru now has a very high expectation of Houtarou, and he knows it. She holds him in a very high regards too, as she said in the end of this episode. My impression is that Houtarou is a little afraid of that. He doesn't want to just come out and betray her impression, as we can see from last episode that he tried to avoid telling her that he's going to "blackmail" to sell Hyouka. But he's also a little afraid of keeping it up too, in fear of what their relationship would be when his real self is revealed to her.
Old 2012-08-20, 07:05   Link #18
novalysis

You know something? I think Chitanda might be on the verge of having a crush on Hotaru. We already know that there are hints of a crush in the other direction too. Over all though, this feels like a low key, very relaxing story, so I'm rating it highly, because this is exactly what Hyouka promises and delivers with excellence.

Speaking of which, is it safe to tell us which volume of Hyouka are we on right now, to get a sense whether there is enough material for another 26 episodes of this wonderful slice of life anime?
Old 2012-08-20, 07:33   Link #19
ookamigirl

Ogi and helicopters - the hidden truth.
Looks like they're back to their old patterns.
Oreki being curious? Now that's a new one.
The library visit with Chitanda was kinda nice.
That girl sure is interested easily.
Well, at least they found out what really happened.
It was a pretty interesting story too.

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2012-08-20, 08:13   Link #20
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
You know something? I think Chitanda might be on the verge of having a crush on Hotaru. We already know that there are hints of a crush in the other direction too. Over all though, this feels like a low key, very relaxing story, so I'm rating it highly, because this is exactly what Hyouka promises and delivers with excellence.

Speaking of which, is it safe to tell us which volume of Hyouka are we on right now, to get a sense whether there is enough material for another 26 episodes of this wonderful slice of life anime?
I'd suggest that Houtarou might've been trending toward a crush on Chitanda at the beginning of the series, while Chitanda didn't really see him in that way. I'd also suggest that his interest in her falls off considerably as the series wears on, although he finds himself in the position where he feels he must "appease" her, and meet her expectations of him.

On the other hand, Chitanda starts out the series seeming to mostly see him for what he can do to help her resolve her unanswered questions about her missing uncle. Every time he comes through for her, it increases her estimation of him, and increases the emotional attachment she feels toward him. She's more apt to want to get to know him better, to be kinder to him, and to be aware of him as a healthy young man. All culminating in that very dere-dere look she gives him near the end of the episode.

Houtarou seems to be aware of just what Chitanda thinks of him (or, at least, he seems to think he does); and how it differs from how he sees her. Witness his imagined bike-ride scenarios. Houtarou riding on the back of Chitanda's bike looks even less pleased than usual. Chitanda riding as Houtarou's co-pilot seems to be in complete bliss. He either doesn't like it, or (as has been said,) he's very much afraid of failing to meet her expectations should he dare to return those feelings. To the point that, where when she praises him with that look I mentioned earlier . . . he shoots her down.

To answer your other question . . . no. By the end of the 22 episode run, KyoAni will have covered four of the five extant books. Either they'd have to dramatically expand the adaptation, or more books would have to come out . . . which, given the irregular schedule with which the author writes them, seems to be unlikely in the immediate future.