AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2011-01-07, 14:43   Link #601
HandofFate

I was like "er..." at the beginning and expected some generic war mech anime.

But then it turns out to be a school setting and its like a sport now. So I was like awesome! I'm sure it probably escalate to more than that, but for now enjoying the slice of life stuff.

Liked the standard "character introduction/pose" for the opening intro.

The main guy is pretty bro. He's just like 'what's up bitches, get in line for my cock'
Love the childhood friend banter and how she seems to constantly switch moods.

Character designs are pretty varied and bright. Humor is good.

And the episode had a really annoying cut-off point where I really want to see what happens next.
Old 2011-01-07, 15:14   Link #602
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeath View Post
I'm surprised by how many people were surprised this was a harem anime. Really, what where you expecting?
I was expecting both a harem and an eventual conflict that's apparently political but absurdly black and white and shamelessly nationalistic.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 15:24   Link #603
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Is it me or are alot of shows making fun of Brits
I_am_Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 16:06   Link #604
ReddyRedWolf

This like Strike Witches and Sky Girls in a school setting only with a strong-ish male lead. -ish being the male lead is submissive to his Aneki.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 16:22   Link #605
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
What I *do* know is that the premise itself is otaku-pandering harem bullshit, just what you'd expect from an anime adaption of a VN/LN.
Hey now! I respect that you do not like harem and IS in general, but extending those impressions to all VN/LN as "expected" is a bit harsh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Except that he knows virtually nothing about this piece of equipment that he's apparently so good at operating. I can't fathom how this could be the case. He's the only male in the world who can even make the thing move, much less actually be good with it. Why hasn't he bothered to learn anything about it?
This is the fault of the anime, the light novel explained this pretty clearly. In favor of pacing, the explanation was cut out, and I agree with that decision (let's be honest, most viewers don't care about that). Though I do have to point something out. Ichika is completely terrible at piloting IS at this point, as he said, he only side-stepped during the entrance exam and instant win cause probably the instructor didn't expect that and wall crashed. He knows he sucked too because he probably expected a duel outside of IS fight, but realized in midway arguing that they are fighting with IS and went "oh crap".

And some response to multiple posts ...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!! WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY!!!!! Generic doesn't mean it's bad!!! Tropes exist for EVERYTHING. Just because it's not a deconstruction/mocking of modern day otaku culture doesn't mean the show is not worth watching! What happened to just enjoying these cliches?!?! Didn't you enjoy these the first time you watch anime? If you didn't, what about the visuals?! Or do you watch anime in hoping of uber originality that just completely wow you in metaphysical and philosophical presentations? I watch anime because the visuals are impressive and pleasing to the eye; if the story/plot takes a backseat so be it, and vice versa. While I don't mean all anime should be completely thoughtless, but for this particular one if there are enough visual and the existence of "a" plot, there's no need to hate on the cliches!
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 16:24   Link #606
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I'm just a bit annoyed with IS introduction because of the utter lack of universe settings. Sure, we learn a bit about the IS exoskeleton suit and whatnot, but it certainly doesn't help when the "gimmick" that Ichika has isn't exactly explained. They could... I dunno, explain why IS could only be piloted by girls like what Mai Otome did (okay, the explanations in MO were half assed, but they tried at least, whereas in IS, it is left to... speculations for those who didn't read the LN, assuming it was explained there).
Actually, we can't even properly speculate about it since pretty much nothing about IS was explained. I have a hard time grasping why only females (and one dude, how lucky he is!) can pilot those machines, unless, as I said earlier, they are far more than machines. I'm sure they'll explain it later, but it would have been smarter to do it right away in my opinion. Right now, the whole premise seems incredibly cheap and stupid.

I can't blame people for getting turned off by the first episode. While not a terrible episode, it was definitely a terrible first episode.
Old 2011-01-07, 16:45   Link #607
Mentar
Banned

No idea why several people are so critical of the first episode, I found it pretty enjoyable. Another extra is that I think that the ingredients of ep1 that made me like it (Non-wussy male lead, likable Houki, enjoyably unlikable Cecilia, amusing fangirls) are sure to show up in the next eps, too.

Well, people who don't like it are welcome to wait for academically worthwhile anime. In the meantime, I'll enjoy my IS
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 16:55   Link #608
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
No idea why several people are so critical of the first episode, I found it pretty enjoyable. Another extra is that I think that the ingredients of ep1 that made me like it (Non-wussy male lead, likable Houki, enjoyably unlikable Cecilia, amusing fangirls) are sure to show up in the next eps, too.

Well, people who don't like it are welcome to wait for academically worthwhile anime. In the meantime, I'll enjoy my IS
I like this episode too. Maybe not a great episode but really enjoyable. Much more than Star Driver for me >_>
Old 2011-01-07, 17:08   Link #609
Hiro Hayase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haru~ View Post
This reminds me of Vandread, really. A guy who is special in a women dominant environment. Ichika isn't spineless and isn't a pushover also. He's an average guy, not shy(Rito Yuuki in earlier chapters) or nosebleeder(Ikuto) or dumb(Keitaro) or perverted(Tomoki). What I like here is the Battle of the Sexes. Not typical in today's anime.
As for the Harem candidates, I like Houki's Tsundereness, especially the scenes in the rooftop and the room sharing. And Cecilia from Britannia looked like the daughter of CC(Hey it's Yukana!) and Lelouch. (All HAIL Britannia)
Ichika is by far alot better than the typical harem male lead, that I must agree on. Judging an anime solely on the first episode is very naive.
Furthermore anime is a form of entertainment and a business, regardless whether some people are being overly critical or not, the author already has 5 light novels published and is making money. Besides haters always make the things they hate inevitably more popular.

P.S. When I first heard about IS, I thought it was going to be like Tenchi Muyo! or something. Thanks for posting the freebies mikoo.

Last edited by Hiro Hayase; 2011-01-07 at 17:27.
Hiro Hayase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 17:11   Link #610
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro Hayase View Post
Ichika is by far alot better than the typical harem male lead, that I must agree on. Judging an anime solely on the first episode is very naive.

P.S. When I first heard about IS, I thought it was going to be like Tenchi Muyo! or something.
When I noticed right from the plot that it was going to be a harem show, I would have expected the male lead to be a weak guy that relied on people's help all the time and would cower from a challenge, but thats what makes Ichika rise from that expectation and make him high up my list
Old 2011-01-07, 17:13   Link #611
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I was expecting both a harem and an eventual conflict that's apparently political but absurdly black and white and shamelessly nationalistic.
Yeah, I think this won't be too much off-the-mark. I mean, the harem is obvious, the black and white morality is also seems likely because we don't see any grey character so far (or at least, definitely not Ichika and the girls, although that may change later, who knows) and the shamelessly nationalistic....so far we already have the world's strongest military weapon built by a Japanese, a champion user is a Japanese, the best IS academy is also in Japan. Well, all that may be related after all, coming from the first factor, and at least they try to have a diverse cast/haremettes from multiple nations, let's just hope they won't get stereotyped too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Actually, we can't even properly speculate about it since pretty much nothing about IS was explained. I have a hard time grasping why only females (and one dude, how lucky he is!) can pilot those machines, unless, as I said earlier, they are far more than machines. I'm sure they'll explain it later, but it would have been smarter to do it right away in my opinion. Right now, the whole premise seems incredibly cheap and stupid.

I can't blame people for getting turned off by the first episode. While not a terrible episode, it was definitely a terrible first episode.
Amazing, in just that one last sentence it perfectly summarizes my multiple paragraphs rambling. Yeah, it's definitely not a terrible episode, and assuming that all those stuff you're wondering is going to be explained next episode, if you wait at least a week for the next episode and watch the two back-to-back then maybe some of the complaints of this episode can be alleviated. Alas, that 7 days wait...
Old 2011-01-07, 17:19   Link #612
FlavoryFantasy
♪~Deculture~♪ (✿◠‿◠)

An okay 1st episode, glad Ichika isn't as bad as many others, liked how he was up for the challenge too. Likable OP, average end though imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo View Post
Episode 01 freebies:

I'll be claiming this if no one minds.
Old 2011-01-07, 17:21   Link #613
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Amazing, in just that one last sentence it perfectly summarizes my multiple paragraphs rambling. Yeah, it's definitely not a terrible episode, and assuming that all those stuff you're wondering is going to be explained next episode, if you wait at least a week for the next episode and watch the two back-to-back then maybe some of the complaints of this episode can be alleviated. Alas, that 7 days wait...
Well were just going to have deal with people complaining that its all terrible in some places and not understanding that it was just the introduction episode that is explaining the scenario that the anime is taking place. Will be surprised if they still think the same thing as the Anime goes on.
Old 2011-01-07, 17:26   Link #614
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

It's pretty understand why so many people are turned off by this first episode. Saying that, what the lot of us want to see from this series should start to appear in the next few episodes, though the damage is done now. If said people stop watching it, then i couldn't blame them at all. I myself might stop depending on where this show will go from here.
Old 2011-01-07, 17:44   Link #615
chaos_animagic

I expect Harem... being the only "male" in the entire world to be able to do a certain thing that no other male can do...
Basically means he's the most rare and interesting male in the entire world... LOL

Watches as thousands of girls chases him down... ;P

BTW... love the traditional Tsundere childhood friend and the self proclaimed superior British blond curly hair girl.... LOL

Last edited by chaos_animagic; 2011-01-07 at 17:55.
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 17:47   Link #616
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

From what I've read in the earlier pages of this thread, there is a surprising amount of data on the history and mechanics of the IS, to the point where there's no way I can consider the mecha part of this series as a 'tack-on'. Whether this get translated well into the anime is another thing altogether, as we all know, large chunks of words does not make good television.

That said though, I believe a true mecha fan wouldn't just stop at the anime for their Delicious Details
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 18:29   Link #617
kramerica

Personally to me it's basically Zero no Tsukaima, just with mechs and a more proper harem. Which for me, is better ^^ But the anime will have to do some more explanations on certain things (like how so-and-so happened). It does feel like this was more like an episode 2 than 1.

EDIT: clarified something

Nanael is not amused.

Last edited by kramerica; 2011-01-07 at 20:54.
kramerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 19:23   Link #618
Wolfwood2

Wow, I was really shocked to come on and see how many people apparently liked this first episode. I hated all the characters, I found the pacing boring, and I thought the OP music was terrible. Just to be clear on something, I'm not hating on IS because it's a harem anime. That's fine, I like plenty of harem anime. My problem is that I think IS is a bad harem anime.

1. The male lead is unsympathetic and shows no interesting qualities to provide a hook for my interest. Why should care about this guy? What's he got to offer? He's not particularly nice or clever nor does he have any interesting personality quirks. The show did nothing to get me on his side, as if the fact that he's the male lead would be enough.

2. None of the girls is anything special either. The reflexive violence of the childhood friend and sister was yawn-inducing. (Hint show. It's not enough to have the girl hit the guy and have it be automatically funny. You actually need to set up a joke where he seem to deserve it from somebody's point of view.)

3. The plot is nonsensical. It's all very well to say "the light novel explains it", but there's just too much. I could give a pass towards waiting to explain the mecha, but he doesn't even know the school where his freaking sister is teaching? He threw away his manual? Why did he even come to this school? He doesn't even seem very enthusiastic about piloting the mecha, which would at least be a character trait. Of course, he doesn't seem to dislike it or have been forced into it either. That too would be a character trait.

My two word review: s**t sandwich
Wolfwood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 19:48   Link #619
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Nice start, since I prefer body-suits to mecha, and this is the variety of harem that I enjoy (witty male lead). Character designs, background art, and animation were pretty good too. Charcters seem kind of flat, but it's just one episode ... also it won't really matter if this does not improve

And people were surprised that this is a harem show really ... that is surprising
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 20:02   Link #620
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwood2 View Post
3. The plot is nonsensical. It's all very well to say "the light novel explains it", but there's just too much. I could give a pass towards waiting to explain the mecha, but he doesn't even know the school where his freaking sister is teaching? He threw away his manual? Why did he even come to this school? He doesn't even seem very enthusiastic about piloting the mecha, which would at least be a character trait. Of course, he doesn't seem to dislike it or have been forced into it either. That too would be a character trait.
i have that question in my mind as well since i'm not an IS LN reader...

well i already made up my mind to watch this till the end since i'm a mecha/harem lover

Tags
comedy, ecchi, harem, mecha, romance, school life, sci-fi, shounen, stupid protagonist