AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-18, 17:57   Link #1
cecilialor
punk'd chic

Why stop the anime's torrents once it's licensed by an american company?

yeah i just wanted to know why??
Old 2004-05-18, 18:08   Link #2
7thMethuselah

because animesuki has a policy not to provide links to licensed anime

but the real reason is ...

1. If we all leech anime and never ever buy anything no money will ever go to the developers, they will not have cash to feed children and wife/man and therefore stop making anime

2. Developers deserve to be paid for the great stuff they bring us!

3. Fansubs are made to PROMOTE anime not to replace the actual releases. fansubs were originally made by fans for fans who would otherwise be unable to get their hands on the series. When licensed the shows will be available and thus the main goal for fansubbing is no longer valid.

No one is saying you have to buy everything you see but buy a DVD or two every once in a while or some manga, support the people who are giving you a great time!
Old 2004-05-18, 18:15   Link #3
anthonyxscotland
Highlander

And also because then it does slip into piracy more than the dark area of copyrights that its currently hiding within.

Of course Anime Suki could start listing licenced anime to keep everyone happy, then the dvd firms would throw lawsuits at it.
Old 2004-05-18, 19:00   Link #4
TronDD
Team the box!

7thMethuselah gave the ethical reasons. Legally, once an American company has rights to the show, they can easily sue those distributing it. It is not likely that a Japanese company will come to America to sue people for distributing material in a country that they aren't even selling it to.
Old 2004-05-18, 19:28   Link #5
tektonik
I can see that speed

I thought since this server is in America it has to apply to American laws. If you have a webserver in Europe then you wouldn't have to stop listing torrents till the law says not to.
Old 2004-05-18, 19:40   Link #6
DistortedRealmS

Send a message via MSN to DistortedRealmS
Quote:
1. If we all leech anime and never ever buy anything no money will ever go to the developers, they will not have cash to feed children and wife/man and therefore stop making anime
Are you so naive as to believe that buying an anime dvd in america will bring money to the original developers? Once the anime is licensed by an american company the developers cease getting royalties on sales outside Japan.
Old 2004-05-18, 19:52   Link #7
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedRealmS
Are you so naive as to believe that buying an anime dvd in america will bring money to the original developers? Once the anime is licensed by an american company the developers cease getting royalties on sales outside Japan.
excuse me, if no one buys the DVD's in America, the license companies will no longer buy the series and thus the Japanese companies and entertainers will miss out on alot of money. So indirectly not buying in US affects the Japanese animators.

Also because of the high costs involved in making anime, a number of anime are being co-produced during development: this means US and Japanese companies are both carrying a part of the investment! So if no one in th US (or Europe for that matter) buys the DVD's why would those companies continue to do that then .

PS about the name underneath yr avatar, by dl anime fansubs you are not supporting anime, but leeching. Supporting anime means to buy stuff, no offense intended...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonik
I thought since this server is in America it has to apply to American laws. If you have a webserver in Europe then you wouldn't have to stop listing torrents till the law says not to.
Sure we can post the torrents up until the moment we get the law after us, but there are ETHICAL reasons not to do so, read my first post to know what I mean.
Old 2004-05-18, 20:22   Link #8
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quite right, the money american companies pay to license an anime title goes somewhere. Also, I'd rather have a nice DVD of a good title, than a fansub, so those companies that pick up the shows I want, I'd like to reward them by buying their product, thus giving them incentive to sell me more of what I like to buy.

Downloading fansubs spreads awareness of anime, but the only way it supports anime is by building a fanbase to make titles popular enough to warrant licensing, when they may otherwise be passed over.

If you're really gung-ho about supporting anime, but don't like what the american companies do, then you should stop downloading fansbsubs after you decide you like a series, and buy the DVDs direct from Japan. A word of warning, save a lot of money because DVDs in Japan go for far more than they do in America. We're talking 50 bucks an episode. You should also buy merchandise directly from Japan, but again, it's often more expensive than waiting for a company to release the same merchandise in America, with few exceptions.

Fansubs are illegal. It's just that Japanese companies generally don't care, and American companies see it as free promotion, up until they license the product. The moment it's licensed, the American companies need the fansubbing to stop so they can sell the licensed DVD, so sites like AnimeSuki pull shows the moment they're licensed because (1) They're nice guys and see this as the right thing to do, and (2) to avoid getting sued right into the poorhouse.
Old 2004-05-18, 20:50   Link #9
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
Quick, get the noob spray. Really what do you think the point of purchasing anime dvd's is ? Maybe so the licensed company could use the money to wipe thie... no, thats to obvious.
Old 2004-05-18, 20:55   Link #10
Spooky-Electric

Maybe to encourage the actual purchasing of anime on DVD. I know buying anime might be a foreign concept to some on this board, but it supports the industry.
Old 2004-05-18, 23:12   Link #11
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

another thing about DVDs > Fansubs: the translators for the licensed version get the actual script for the show, and while an unfathomable level of localization goes into it, 8/10 times the names are actually spelled right for non-japanese characters (Sousuke to Sosuke kinda things bug me tho)
also, GOOD stuff (like FMA and Gundam SEED as recent examples) get shown on TV here, and when it's here on TV, you can get it for FREE without waiting for downloads (if you have digital cable, you can even watch anime anytime you want with the new animenetwork)
oh...cable bills don't count...if you factor that in, you may as well calculate internet fees into fansub downloads
Old 2004-05-19, 00:41   Link #12
Joe Dalton

Actualy if AS would keep the torrents up it would make about 1% difference in sales if any...
However allot of fansubbers dont like going on after its licensed since they risk getting their asses cleaned out in a lawsuit.
So if tis been licensed just search around for yourself untill you find a fansubber that will go on or wait for the anime
Old 2004-05-19, 00:56   Link #13
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dalton
Actualy if AS would keep the torrents up it would make about 1% difference in sales if any...
However allot of fansubbers dont like going on after its licensed since they risk getting their asses cleaned out in a lawsuit.
So if tis been licensed just search around for yourself untill you find a fansubber that will go on or wait for the anime
I think Joe Dalton is right.
The only and true reason most fansubbers stop fansubbing animes after they're licensed is because if they didn't stop they might have problems.
That's also the reason AnimeSuki isn't supporting licensed fansubs : to keep itself safe.
Even though the fact of fansubbing could also be considered illegal, but there was never been any problem about it until now, as long as the show isn't licensed.
Old 2004-05-19, 01:31   Link #14
mah_damey

because america pwns you. juss kiddin. i was wondering why yall stopped releasing lisenced stuff too =P
Old 2004-05-19, 01:32   Link #15
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

I have significantly less faith in humanity, especially the younger types that have grown accustomed to getting something for nothing through the internet. While I believe that most people don't go out of their way to cause others harm, I do believe that people are self centred and don't give enough thought to the consequences of their actions.

Also, even if the percentage of lost sales were to be small, this sort of behavour should not be encouraged as more and more people are growing up accustomed to using the internet and downloading files. It would only be a matter of time before the majority of anime fans in this country looked to the internet for all their anime needs, leaving only a few still trying to support the industry buy buying DVDs.
Old 2004-05-19, 01:33   Link #16
hentai_wolf
Vivisectionist VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedRealmS
The Japanese companies certainly can and do get royalties on anime sold outside of Japan.
Old 2004-05-19, 01:43   Link #17
Joe Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd
I have significantly less faith in humanity, especially the younger types that have grown accustomed to getting something for nothing through the internet. While I believe that most people don't go out of their way to cause others harm, I do believe that people are self centred and don't give enough thought to the consequences of their actions.

Also, even if the percentage of lost sales were to be small, this sort of behavour should not be encouraged as more and more people are growing up accustomed to using the internet and downloading files. It would only be a matter of time before the majority of anime fans in this country looked to the internet for all their anime needs, leaving only a few still trying to support the industry buy buying DVDs.
There are some who would argue that take money away and you would get 1 step closer 2 a peacefull world... Not me since it would only be replaced by a new form of power.
However what should make you lose faith in humanity is that we can obviously not think of ourselves without also resorting 2 terms such as money and other means of power controll.
Old 2004-05-19, 02:06   Link #18
Spooky-Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
also, GOOD stuff (like FMA and Gundam SEED as recent examples) get shown on TV here, and when it's here on TV, you can get it for FREE without waiting for downloads (if you have digital cable, you can even watch anime anytime you want with the new animenetwork)
oh...cable bills don't count...if you factor that in, you may as well calculate internet fees into fansub downloads
That's only good if you're a fan of dubs, which I'm not.
Old 2004-05-19, 02:31   Link #19
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dalton
There are some who would argue that take money away and you would get 1 step closer 2 a peacefull world... Not me since it would only be replaced by a new form of power.
However what should make you lose faith in humanity is that we can obviously not think of ourselves without also resorting 2 terms such as money and other means of power controll.
Money is a symptom, not the problem. The problem is, we all want to live comfortably, as comfortably as possible, and we're not always willing to give even just a little to let someone else live comfortably as well. If we did, there would be those who would abuse it, living the easy life and never working for it, while others worked hard to support everyone else. It would take a massive change of humanity on the individual level to make such a utopia possible. Everyone would have to be willing to work to help keep themselves and everyone else living comfortably. We'd have to not give a damn if someone else got a little more for working a little less. We'd have to be willing to settle for what we got, and not desire more. We'd have to live, eat, and breath the golden rule above all else.

There's many that worry we would also have to sacrifice a lot of individuality to make such a world happen.
Old 2004-05-19, 02:33   Link #20
Joe Dalton

the biggest problem is... its simply impossible for humans 2 acomplish... *nod nod* that would be the main issue... Actualy the bigger problem would be... I'd have 2 work... OMG
Closed Thread