AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-11-04, 08:03   Link #201
magnuskn

I'm pretty much on the verge of jumping off. I'll stick it out for the next episode to see if it goes anywhere interesting, but if it stays the same level of dumb, I'll leave it to the people who actually enjoy it.
Old 2022-11-04, 08:18   Link #202
LG-MAX 2.o

If you loved it then the tendency is to like it more, if you hated it then you will hate it even more.

That's my opinion.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-04, 09:21   Link #203
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
I already expected this series to be loved or hated. For those who liked it, the next arcs are even better, and if you didn't like it... I don't understand why waste time watching it.

Ep 6 Previews

More Gamma! Also more Alexia and Iris !
Old 2022-11-04, 17:08   Link #204
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Im trying so hard to like this show because its supposed to be purposefully edgy with a moron as protag as a means to comedy, but so far i find it taking itself way too seriously, as in highlighting the wrong aspect of the narrative
Old 2022-11-04, 17:18   Link #205
Tenzen12

I don't think this show had even single moment it took itself seriously though.
Old 2022-11-04, 17:55   Link #206
Frontier

Some of the stuff that happens to characters outside Cid (like what happened to Alexia here) is taken seriously...but anything Cid is involved in is pretty much just riffing .
Old 2022-11-04, 18:21   Link #207
Tenzen12

Isn't that like saying One-punch man is taking itself too seriously? I mean sure Genos (and every other hero characters except the King) battles are cool and hyper detailed and filled with all shonen tropes, but it just turn into complete farce once Saitama do his thing. I am not comparing one of best comedy in decades to super mid LN adaptation (that's not even best isekai of season) qualitatively, but principle and intentions are clearly same and I don't think its execution is bad enough to miss that.
Old 2022-11-05, 01:39   Link #208
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I don't think this show had even single moment it took itself seriously though.
I can't agree with this. I could say that for something, like, Futoku no Guild, where MC is serious, but the overall tone of the show is that of a comedy, but, to cite a single example, the bus ride where Alex and Cid were talking felt like a really serious moment. Alex's inferiority complex to her sister was a centerpiece of her character and the episode, and Cid's analysis of it felt like something from a not-comedy show. That's something u'd see in, say, Maou Futegoblahblah(get name later).

A moment that seems serious, but doesn't actually take itself seriously is like when he was setting up the props so when his subordinate(Beta) entered the room hed act out his part. This includes the scenes shortly after, like t he over-the-top evil knights and Beta writing the events in a journal, but overexaggerating the details.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-05, 03:05   Link #209
LG-MAX 2.o

Just because the show is a comedy doesn't mean it doesn't have some serious moments.
This is something so common.

And I never expected this series to raise such serious questions and discussions about ethics and morality.
Old 2022-11-05, 03:41   Link #210
magnuskn

If you put implied sexual assault / torture scenes (evil scientist on Alexia, kidnapper on the yakuza princess in ep 1) in your "comedy", it's bound to make people question how comedic the show is supposed to be.
Old 2022-11-05, 04:23   Link #211
LG-MAX 2.o

yeah, but like I said before, these Alexia things were original scenes.
But I still don't understand why people take this series so seriously.

Perhaps because my favorite type of humor is those focused on misunderstandings, I can enjoy the author's intention more.
And the fact that Cid has a different background than 99% of the other isekai protagonists is also an attraction.
Old 2022-11-05, 06:46   Link #212
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
yeah, but like I said before, these Alexia things were original scenes..
Alas, I am judging the series by, y'know, the series. Not the manga, not the light novel, not the web novel, not random twitter posts by the writer or whatever. Just the series, as presented.
Old 2022-11-05, 07:02   Link #213
Tenzen12

It feels less like disliking it for its flaws and more like looking for flaws no matter what because you don't like it. Dropping it or hate watch it is both fine, but rag on non-issues isn't way to go. If you want some actual flaws I could try make list for you.
Old 2022-11-05, 08:30   Link #214
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Alas, I am judging the series by, y'know, the series. Not the manga, not the light novel, not the web novel, not random twitter posts by the writer or whatever. Just the series, as presented.
I'm a little baffled where people are taking that scene to be more than torturing her to extract blood from her as long as possible and extrapolating it to sexual assault.

Nothing sexual assault related is even implied in the anime.

To say that it does is simply projection.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-05, 08:50   Link #215
Rasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
I'm a little baffled where people are taking that scene to be more than torturing her to extract blood from her as long as possible and extrapolating it to sexual assault.

Yeah, he just brought to her a viscous white liquid in a dog bowl and forced her to drink it. The crazy smile followed by the shot of her straining and thrashing around her legs is definitely not borrowed from any random H anime. And her void look and being splashed all over by splashes of this white viscous liquid definitely shouldn't cause associations with any other activity than eating.

Alexia that just finished eating: https://imgur.com/a/1NpIHxJ

Edit: I have no idea how to embed the image... no matter what I do it won't show.

Last edited by Rasty; 2022-11-05 at 09:10.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-05, 08:57   Link #216
Frontier

Not to mention her top was starting to become undone/disheveled, even if it wasn't as much as you'd see in another anime.
Old 2022-11-05, 09:14   Link #217
ryllharu

That's why saying it is sexual is audience projection.

We are shown it being the force-feeding and general lack of care by a deranged zealot. We know that she's been there for almost a week and only fed or had blood drawn.

Very different from "Oh, [character] is eating a white popsicle!"
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-05, 09:29   Link #218
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I, too, had difficulty seeing this sexual assault. I didn't even think it until seeing this thread. Going back and reviewing the scenes, I still can't see it. Really, even if I somehow came to that conclusion, given the nature of the doctor, who seemed only obsessed about his experiment/research, I'd doubt he'd suddenly get the urge to do anything of that nature, unless it was with an "epitome of his research" kinda thing(like creating a perfect, beautiful monster and idolizing it).

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-05, 09:41   Link #219
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

It sure is easy to get sidetracked by a minor element of an anime…

Hint: move on.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-11-05, 10:07   Link #220
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post

To say that it does is simply projection.
Current sensitivity with anime. Some people find the red outfit Yor from Spy x Family wears obscene.

Quote:
I know, so I suggest you read the source material so you can get in touch with the author's intent.
It's been 5 episodes now and you're clearly not having fun, so I don't really understand your intent with this.

Tags
harem