Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-11-19, 22:50   Link #241
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfCoder View Post
However, a slow reformat of a HDD will zero-set the data of everything, but it is much slower than the quick reformat option. Also, it will erase all data.
Not quite, it's difficult but it can be done through MFM techniques
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ecure_del.html
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 22:52   Link #242
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Send a message via AIM to WolfCoder Send a message via MSN to WolfCoder Send a message via Yahoo to WolfCoder
Personally I imagine them not so much as 'the Man' but more like armed soldiers in a battlefield of the internet. Many struggles, battles, and casualties are to occur. You're outnumbered vastly, but that should not be a reason for you to give in to fear.

As for the HDD thing, it might actually be better to scramble the hard drive rather than zero memory it, adding lots of noise can make that technique nearly impossible.
WolfCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 22:52   Link #243
toshirodragon

Quote:
However, a slow reformat of a HDD will zero-set the data of everything, but it is much slower than the quick reformat option. Also, it will erase all data.
Thats provided you get time to do a reformat... but I rather doubt Comcrap, as it's fondly called in this house, is going to give you a courtesy call beforehand.
toshirodragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 22:58   Link #244
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messerschmitt_Bf-109 View Post
Wait, it says they are going after licensed material in Singapore, yet they go after unlicensed material in the U.S....wtf?

(That Odex article)
If you think about it from a economic perspective, I would say America download the most, meaning most of the profit goes away. If you can push a law to American consumers, then you probably can get it pushed anywhere else. Why do you think America has so many Patents and Copyrights? I think my mouse has like a patent for the mouse scrolling thing ^_^

Quote:
Just take a big magnet and that'll do the trick, I believe the microwave does well too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valet View Post
This is clearly the root of the pain, but given the attitudes toward Odex, I don't think they're going to be selling a lot of anime over the next two years either regardless of what they do now. If they starve to death, it might serve as a signal that pursuing your customers with threats of lawsuits in small markets is just not a wise way to proceed. It's hard to starve a big industry with lots of customers (like the RIAA), but consumers have a little more leverage in smaller worlds. I generally hate to see companies fail in the anime world, because ultimately you want to see money getting back to the production studios (because profitable anime means more anime next year), but these guys just seem to be bad for everybody involved. I'd like to think the foreign anime market is still a little too young for licensors to be going (MP|RI)AA all over their customers.
1st - I feel ashamed for older members trying to chase our new members away. Also I would like to see the effects of what Odex is trying to accomplish. If the sales go down, other publishing companies can that what Odex tried and use it as an example for their future business plans.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 23:00   Link #245
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
I would be very interesting to see how a lawsuit would hold up in court. If ODEX doesn't own the licensing rights for North America, then on what basis are they suing?

It would also be great to get the EFF involved. Maybe even a class action counter suit.
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 23:07   Link #246
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Suing your user base never works. See Metallica v napster, see SCO v Linux. Did p2p stop? WTF happenned to SCO: they got laughed out of court. Even Microsoft isn't crazy enough to go after Linux despite its claims of copyright infringement. SCO is now bankrupt
Old 2007-11-19, 23:11   Link #247
DarkMirage
ευαγγελιον
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well... thanks for calling me stupid but that's exactly what the article referenced had Odex implying.
Read the date of that press release. That was for Singapore. They have not released any statements for this latest round yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopeskills View Post
I would be very interesting to see how a lawsuit would hold up in court. If ODEX doesn't own the licensing rights for North America, then on what basis are they suing?
On the basis that they represent the original right holders, allegedly.

Basically Odex is whoring its free service out to all the Japanese studios. Many of the Japanese right holders DO want to stop BitTorrent but fear the backlash that may follow. Or they are just too lazy to take any concrete actions.

Since Odex is offering to do it for free, they are happy to give consent. Especially since Odex has been one of their long-term trusted partners.
DarkMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 23:13   Link #248
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopeskills View Post

It would also be great to get the EFF involved. Maybe even a class action counter suit.
Odex isn't suing in NA. The letters are simply "stop doing this or else we will sue, whether you are doing it knowingly or not". All they have to be is an authorized agent for the copyright holders to do this.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 23:17   Link #249
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

At this stage that is debatable, no one has any idea WTF Odex has or doesn't have. Hiding information from us probably the most concerning for myself. I want to see official documentation or a press release that yes they are acting on behalf of _____ .
Old 2007-11-19, 23:29   Link #250
Messerschmitt_Bf-109
y hello thar

So what is next? They start taking cases to court, or getting a body in the nation they want to sue to do it. This was a good tactic if you look at it. They found that fighting the subbers was pointless, but maybe scare enough of the seeders to gain profits. And technically it is all copyrighted and illegal, we are just trying to rationalize here saying that it all doesn't get licensed.

I think the Japanese animation companies have a 'tough shit, you are not our citizens, we don't care if you don't get to see every show released'

I wonder how this will progress, taking seeders to court enough that torrents die. I assume the streaming sites get taken down in between. Then I guess they finally stop their hated piracy after that.
Old 2007-11-19, 23:38   Link #251
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

In the interest that we're actually in this together, here is DarkMirage's newsblog article on Odex. Its very good and informative on the odor of Odex. There's no need to go to speculative endgames about what "might happen". There were fansubs before p2p/torrent, ya know....

http://www.darkmirage.com/2007/08/19...eating-it-too/
Old 2007-11-19, 23:42   Link #252
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messerschmitt_Bf-109 View Post
I think the Japanese animation companies have a 'tough shit, you are not our citizens, we don't care if you don't get to see every show released'
What many people don't realize is, even IN JAPAN, people don't get to "see every show released".
Quite a few TV shows, including anime, are NOT nationwide broadcast.
Old 2007-11-19, 23:45   Link #253
Ryougi Shiki
私, オレ, lines of origin

To trade anime, Japanese 2channers use Share. Seeing as Share is incredibly more secure than Bittorrent and is really hard to track and stuff, I think we should have something like that for American/other countries.
Old 2007-11-19, 23:45   Link #254
Messerschmitt_Bf-109
y hello thar

Which just adds to their 'I don't give a shit' about foreigners.

So there is no way to watch everyone in japan, even with all the different type of TV broadcasters and types.

And Vexx, maybe for computer savy people. But there are those of us(me for example) who don't know how to use anything hardly. Hell, I am still not even sure how torrents work. I just download the thing, then click the torrent links, click yes. Which is why I will most likely get a DMCA since I don't know how to encrypt, no idea how to use IRC(I do have it, but beyond that I am lost), or any other advanced programs.

So yeah I am sure it will continue with the savy people, but they will knock people like me out.
Old 2007-11-19, 23:52   Link #255
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
What many people don't realize is, even IN JAPAN, people don't get to "see every show released".
Quite a few TV shows, including anime, are NOT nationwide broadcast.
Which is *really* strange in such a small geographic region -- but has more to do with the distribution of channels across the region. Outsiders tend to think of Japan as pretty homogeneous but just ask a Tokyo girl about those Kansai people ... or someone from Hokkaido about Tokyo habits.

The point, though, is that one could watch any anime show in Japan with some driving or a few friends in the right locations with DVR/tape.

I just want to watch the broadcast version of an anime before I lay several hundred dollars out for a series. I'm willing to pay a reasonable subscription fee for that access. There are many like me --- that model seems to elude them though it works just fine in their home market.

@Messerschmitt: two solutions. One ... people will write friendlier solutions (actually, encrypting under Azeurus is a one-click for example) for the protocols (yeah, IRC can still be a bit arcane). Two ... make friends with your local ubergeek and keep them plied with trinkets and gifts for your requests
Old 2007-11-19, 23:55   Link #256
Messerschmitt_Bf-109
y hello thar

Yep Vexx, I would do that as well. But you see..they could care less. So that won't happen.
Old 2007-11-19, 23:55   Link #257
Darkje
Rare Spawn

If you are really paranoid, truecrypt your drive.

And what will happen now is either people will flock to irc, or the binary groups on usenet are going to flourish.

The crux of the issue here is the sharing imho, as long as you don't distribute, you are fine (all the **AA lawsuits are about people SHARING).

By the way, what alternatives are offered to us? I can wait 2 years to watch a show, if I get lucky that it gets licensed!

If the Japanese would offer a system such as itunes, where you can pay $2 for an episode, then that would solve alot of issues. But the problem is, the japanese don't even consider the west at all.

So we have two choices, either download fansubs, or not watch anime at all that is not licensed. And from that last option, how are we in the west going to know/see new series? How are we going to buy their product once it gets licensed? In my mind, they will sell more when fansubs are tolerated, this is going down a path that will hurt them in the long run.

After reading up on the issues in Singapore, howmany people there now are pissed off and will now NEVER buy from them again, did they think that the publicity they achieved was going to be positive?
Darkje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 23:58   Link #258
The Laughing Man

Just a shot in the dark but, has anyone heard of Freenet or Frost

http://freenetproject.org/whatis.html
http://jtcfrost.sourceforge.net/

It's more difficult than BT but if we could get a community going on there it could be pretty great.
The Laughing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 00:10   Link #259
Leaderz0rz
That one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkje View Post
If you are really paranoid, truecrypt your drive.
Just remember drive encryption comes at a steep performance cost.

I honestly would pay a reasonable price every week to be able to watched subbed episodes of my favorite anime. As it stands now if the anime even gets over to the states it will be 3 or so years. A lot of good series never even make it over here. If Japan is truely going after the western fans (which is debatable atm) then I think they need to reevaluate their distribution methods. I don't see why the studios would care enough we are watching their stuff to send C&D and not care enough to give us a method of paying them for their stuff.
Leaderz0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 00:23   Link #260
Messerschmitt_Bf-109
y hello thar

Leaderz, I don't think that is debatable. They don't care about the West, and the licensing fees show it. We don't care about those Western companies, but lets get as much we can from them.