AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-10-26, 00:53   Link #1
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Amnesia: the Dark Descent

So out of no where comes this small company called Frictional games with this really scary game, which by the way just came out in August, and let me tell you it is the scariest game I have ever played.

The game has a great story line and excellent immersion. The sound effects and music are great, the graphic engine is a little outdated though, but who cares, the game play is amazing and very innovative.

You have no weapons to fight monsters off... your only option is to run and hide away from them.

In any case, don't let me spoil the fun, check the game trailer:

The game costs only $20 on steam. I dare anyone to try to beat this game in one sitting... you simply won't be able to, you will be so scared that you will have to take a break from the game.

Has anyone else here played it?

Last edited by Sugetsu; 2010-10-26 at 01:05.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 18:09   Link #2
AnimeFangirl

Brr, I hate scary games. I hate scary anything. Why are you so proud of pooping your pants?
Old 2010-10-26, 19:37   Link #3
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
Brr, I hate scary games. I hate scary anything. Why are you so proud of pooping your pants?
Because real men admit they can also poop their pants when they are scared! But don't take it from me... Please watch the reactions of the following players while playing this game... they are truly priceless :P

Old 2010-10-26, 19:43   Link #4
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
You have no weapons to fight monsters off... your only option is to run and hide away from them.
No Weapons!! This just reminded me of a certain scary game I played, where the only weapon you got was a camera against supernatural beings that haunt you in a mansion where you have to stay.. The only way to beat them is by taking a picture (being tough because they just scare you out of no where )

This game already gave me the chills at 1:30 with nothing happening... Just gave me the feeling something is going to pop up behind you, or something...
Old 2010-10-26, 20:06   Link #5
ChainLegacy
廉頗

LOL listening to this video is actually really funny. I love games like this, though not sure about the no weapons. Sounds like a good idea but I might not have the patience personally.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 20:12   Link #6
KROMEangel
Baby Got Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
No Weapons!! This just reminded me of a certain scary game I played, where the only weapon you got was a camera against supernatural beings that haunt you in a mansion where you have to stay.. The only way to beat them is by taking a picture (being tough because they just scare you out of no where )
Just in case you forgot, that would be Fatal Frame.

And yeah, I'm a big wuss, so I can't handle scary games. :/
KROMEangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-26, 20:16   Link #7
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROMEangel View Post
Just in case you forgot, that would be Fatal Frame.
Oh now I remember sorry played that game a long time ago, and literally forgot all about it.

The 2nd video with people screaming, even the guy that got scared of shovels was hilarious but experiencing it yourself might be a bit hectic if I had atleast a bat, I would beat them even if it only takes 2 shots to kill me.. But no weapons at all makes me wonder how the guy got into the situation in the first place.
Old 2010-10-26, 20:25   Link #8
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Jenomorph's had me laughing so hard that my roommate asked me what was so funny
Old 2010-10-26, 20:28   Link #9
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Jenomorph's had me laughing so hard that my roommate asked me what was so funny
Zlandael was the best even if there was no thing, being scared of a shovel is funny.

JohneyKnodoff is by far the best guy in that video.. He handled that situation so easily.
Old 2010-10-27, 05:55   Link #10
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
Thrills make you feel...ALIVE.

It's like riding a roller coaster. I understand your feelings though, I didn't get into scary games until like really late in my life (like a few years ago in college). That was when I started to play Dead Space and it really scared the shit out of me, and since I had a crappy speaker it would crack up and screech whenever something happens which freaked the shit out of me. The story was so immersive that I had to go on to find out what happens next.

Amnesia looks like one of these games. I love how everything is interactive, blocking the door with the table was so awesome. That's also a great way to use the peek mechanic in other FPS games. The gameplay doesnt feel to scary to me....yet....we'll see. >.< Too bad I have a mac.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 14:17   Link #11
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

The ghost doesn't look that scary in the second video...but I guess when you play the game and feel the thrill yourself, the design of the ghost doesn't seem very important. The fact is that there's something there in the darkness that can kill and you have no way to fend them off except for run is already scary enough ;(

....It's probably because I'm an Asian and get more scared with Asian's ghost...but if the ghost design is like Sadako or something like that, I will never play this game

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 14:30   Link #12
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
The fact is that there's something there in the darkness that can kill and you have no way to fend them off except for run is already scary enough ;(
That's what Frictional does. Their games are rarely about jump-scares or obvious monsters running at you and focus mostly on pure atmosphere instead.
I didn't buy it though. I watched a walkthrough on Youtube (as I did with Frictional's previous Penumbra games) because I would never manage to play it myself.

I couldn't even finish Doom 3. ┐(-。ー')┌
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 15:46   Link #13
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Dead Space's designs of monster wernt all that scary, just a few extra limbs that could tear you to shreds, more into gore then scariness. But the dark atmosphere that envelops around the game gives you the feeling that it could jump out at you on anytime (especially those dead bodies that just spring up out of nowhere) but in Dead Space, you have a weapon to help you off, no weapons at all will make you lose your mind
Old 2010-10-27, 16:23   Link #14
JRendell
Manga Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Dead Space's designs of monster wernt all that scary, just a few extra limbs that could tear you to shreds, more into gore then scariness.
Really? I found them terrifying. Corpses that violently and quickly sprang to life and charged at you, as well as having the creepiest scream I've heard in a game to date.

Anyways, back on topic. I love games that give you goosebumps, and recently Metro 2033 has managed to do so. I think I'll pick up this little gem from Steam and see how I fare.

The video of the best scares was priceless
JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 16:47   Link #15
Divine witch
Yes,Captain Vocabulary.

Priceless game....But too short, and after a while you aren't scared when monster jumps out :/
Divine witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 16:52   Link #16
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
I watched the Trailer of this game and that was enough for me .. way too scary.

Just a note for the OP : This company didn't come out of nowhere. The previous game from them is Penumbra and it is very scary as well, though probably not quite as scary as this is.
Old 2010-10-27, 17:02   Link #17
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
I watched the Trailer of this game and that was enough for me .. way too scary.

Just a note for the OP : This company didn't come out of nowhere. The previous game from them is Penumbra and it is very scary as well, though probably not quite as scary as this is.
I'm not sure if I watched the right trailer.. It just showed a few scenes, the guy running through a blooded tunnel, and at the end the thing killing him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine witch View Post
Priceless game....But too short, and after a while you aren't scared when monster jumps out :/
It seems too predictable when the monsters will come out, I think they come out whenever you hear sounds around you, other then your footsteps.. If they come out of nowhere, then that would be a good scare (especially if your hiding, and they all of a sudden pop up right behind you when you turn around (good close-up view of them)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRendell View Post
Really? I found them terrifying. Corpses that violently and quickly sprang to life and charged at you, as well as having the creepiest scream I've heard in a game to date.
Well of course we have different opinions but the ending for Dead Space did give me a good fright.
Old 2010-10-27, 17:04   Link #18
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Dunno but I'm bad with scary things and the music and mood it set up in a dark room was enough, I don't need to play the game to be scared to death xD
Old 2010-10-27, 23:00   Link #19
Lime soda

I was going to watch the trailer but it's night out now so I chickened out after 20 seconds in, and I don't want to wake up late tomorrow while getting freaked out by every different noise. I'll go look at it when it's really bright out.

I avoid scary movies but for scary games I can bear enough for them to be fun. Last scary game I played was Silent Hill 3 although it was a used a game and it was a defective game so it froze...anyway, enjoying the setting of the dark/ other world is the biggest pull for me. Stuff like strangely colored sky, fog, walls with weird stuff growing out of them, rusted/ stained rooms, etc
Lime soda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 00:13   Link #20
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

I just finished the game today. It took me much valor and courage to play the game long enough to beat it.

The biggest incentive was the awesome story line. I also enjoyed all the 3 different endings. This game shall remain in my memory as one of the best I have played thanks to its capacity to suck you in and immerse you in a different world.

Tags
game, horror