AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-11-14, 23:39   Link #941
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

So, not going to wade through all the stupid discussion of whether the show is too moe or not to see if it's been talked about yet, but who do we think the older Guild member is that Dio was sitting at a table with?

Good to see my suspicion that Dio was the Last Exile's version of a Vietnam era Green Beret come true.

Also, man, the Ades Federation has one hell of an impressive city. That said, someone should tell them that one global nation is a bad idea, because then there aren't any countries left to exploit, and instead you have to exploit your own people.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 23:43   Link #942
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
The original was totally serious. Just look at the chocobo rip-offs running around, the other pilots' nicknames, most of Mullin's antics, and at least half of the next episode previews. Yup, no silliness to be found here, no-siree-bob.
I feel some people here failed their Sarcasm and Irony saving throws. :P

*coughs* Anyway, episode 6. At this point in Last Exile the Silvana was fighting off a (timed) Guild attack. I wonder what's in store for us in Fam, as it looks like there's a vanship race involved. The LAST race we've seen in the series was just a smokescreen for Alex's schemes.
Old 2011-11-14, 23:48   Link #943
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
The original was totally serious. Just look at the chocobo rip-offs running around, the other pilots' nicknames, most of Mullin's antics, and at least half of the next episode previews. Yup, no silliness to be found here, no-siree-bob. Remember: there is absolutely nothing comical about a little girl running around a battleship with a bleating stuffed sheep.

Personally, I'm upset that they increased the average age of the show. Fam and Giselle are slightly older than what Claus and Lavie were (Fam is almost 16!), the the returning characters are 2 years older by virtue of aging, and Millia is way older than Alvis was. I want my stuffed sheep hugging loli back!
XD Farcasm SAILED!
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-14, 23:49   Link #944
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
So, not going to wade through all the stupid discussion of whether the show is too moe or not to see if it's been talked about yet, but who do we think the older Guild member is that Dio was sitting at a table with?
Pretty sure the general consensus is that it's Dagobert, the chief engineer of the Silvana.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 00:02   Link #945
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Pretty sure the general consensus is that it's Dagobert, the chief engineer of the Silvana.
Doh. I totally forgot about him. That would make sense.
Also, cake.
Old 2011-11-15, 00:14   Link #946
Stevie_Nix
Longtime Lurker

Just finished episode 05

Rather enjoyed this one. While not quite as action packed as last one, it had some good moments.

Spoiler for Episode 05 Thoughts:

Is this show too moe? Honestly I think it is just the right amount. Personally, to me moe is bad when really that is the soul reason the show exists.

Also as far as yuri subtext, well personaly the more yuri the better.
Stevie_Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 00:16   Link #947
Stevie_Nix
Longtime Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
I wonder what's in store for us in Fam, as it looks like there's a vanship race involved. The LAST race we've seen in the series was just a smokescreen for Alex's schemes.
I am assuming it going to part of Fam's next idea to steal more warships.

Quote:
Also, man, the Ades Federation has one hell of an impressive city. That said, someone should tell them that one global nation is a bad idea, because then there aren't any countries left to exploit, and instead you have to exploit your own people.
Well running out of other countries is kind of the point, so...
Actually if they keep it up, I think in 10 years its going to turn into a Philip K. Dick novel.
Old 2011-11-15, 00:40   Link #948
TheKage

If the Silvana is still flying, wouldn't Dagobert prefer to stay with the claudia unit on that? Or do you guys think that they used Silvana's claudia unit for the Silvius?

Personally I think the Silvius would have been redesigned too much to have been previously the Silvana. But that means that either it's Dagobert and Silvana's claudia unit, it's not Dagobert, or that Dagobert was willing to leave that claudia unit to engineer a new one.
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 01:25   Link #949
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKage View Post
If the Silvana is still flying, wouldn't Dagobert prefer to stay with the claudia unit on that? Or do you guys think that they used Silvana's claudia unit for the Silvius?

Personally I think the Silvius would have been redesigned too much to have been previously the Silvana. But that means that either it's Dagobert and Silvana's claudia unit, it's not Dagobert, or that Dagobert was willing to leave that claudia unit to engineer a new one.
Silvana could have ST:TMP's USS Enterprise type refit.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 01:37   Link #950
encia

Does anyone recall Fam was supposed to deliver Millia to Empress's Villa?

The leader of Turan was addressed as "King" not as "Emperor".

Atm, the known Empress would be Ade Federation's Sara or Anatoray's Sophia (from Last Exile).

Last edited by encia; 2011-11-15 at 01:48.
Old 2011-11-15, 01:44   Link #951
stormwaltzing
Little Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie_Nix View Post
Either that or Luscinia is a pervert that likes to lurk over sleeping women. Maybe both.
[/SPOILER]
:3

Quote:
at least half of the next episode previews
The episode previews were one of my favorite things ever, omg.
Old 2011-11-15, 01:44   Link #952
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Well, it's interesting to speculate on whether or not the Silvana was made by cannibalizing the Silvanus. Mainly because, the insinuation seems to be that Anatory does not have an easy time bringing their own warships to Earth, thus why Tatiana wants to steal some.

I don't believe Anatory is in outright war with Ades. Ades doesn't even seem to know who Anatory is, if we take the conversation in episode 2? maybe 3? where the Ades generals got together to talk about how one of their fleets was trying to chase down 'mysterious' ships. It's probably a safe bet that those 'mysterious' ships belong to Anatory.

I'll reiterate my earlier theory from a week or two ago that Anatory arrived on Earth to find it wasn't quite the paradise they envisioned, which caused them to covertly scope out the political/social framework that already existed. Tatiana seemed pretty clear that she'd prefer peace, and by insinuation of being an officer, that Sophia would choose peace, but that after two years, they're increasingly suspecting that peace may not be an option. Thus, this new ramp up as I suspect Anatory becomes a lot less covert about their opposition to Ades. Though, I'll go out on a very short limb and predict that obviously our heroines will bring about some form of peace that culminates in a Grand Race by the time the series ends.

Now, we know Claus/Lavie became farmers, and it's possible they still are as all this is unfolding. We can also predict that Anatory must have a secret patch of land somewhere as a base of operations of some sort (if the Sky Pirates can do it, no reason Anatory can't either). That's likely where the Exile we saw in episode one landed. Since we have no way of knowing how often the Exile was traveling between the Earth and the Prester of the first series, it's hard to predict just how much supplies, troops, etc Sophia has likely secretly brought over to Earth, but I'm sure the Silvana isn't operating in a complete vacuum, even if they are trying to pirate warships, rather than build their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Does anyone recall Fam was supposed to deliver Millia to Empress's Villa?

The leader of Turan was addressed as "King" not as "Emperor".

Atm, the known Empress would Ade Federation's Sara or Anatoray's Sophia.
That would be quite the interesting development if the former Empress of Ades wasn't actually dead, but living secretly in exile in Turan, with her showing up later down the road to confuse the heck out of our little cute Augusta who thinks she's doing the right thing.
Also, cake.
Old 2011-11-15, 01:56   Link #953
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Comparing Shuu Ouma's naivety and Augusta's, its obvious that even if your a little kid, being naive is a bigger mistake as long as your a head of a state.

So I hate Augusta more than Shuu, for being a stupid kid.
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 02:08   Link #954
encia

Quote:

That would be quite the interesting development if the former Empress of Ades wasn't actually dead, but living secretly in exile in Turan, with her showing up later down the road to confuse the heck out of our little cute Augusta who thinks she's doing the right thing.
Sara refers to the little Empress of Ades i.e. Empress Sara Augusta.

Quote:

Well, it's interesting to speculate on whether or not the Silvana was made by cannibalizing the Silvanus. Mainly because, the insinuation seems to be that Anatory does not have an easy time bringing their own warships to Earth, thus why Tatiana wants to steal some.
Stealing 15 Ades airships matches the last Turan fleet airship count i.e. 15 airships not including the flagship.

Anyway, Silvius was stated to have destroyed an Ades fleet. Silvana was able down a Guild Flag Battleship on 1:1.

Quote:
Now, we know Claus/Lavie became farmers, and it's possible they still are as all this is unfolding. We can also predict that Anatory must have a secret patch of land somewhere as a base of operations of some sort (if the Sky Pirates can do it, no reason Anatory can't either). That's likely where the Exile we saw in episode one landed. Since we have no way of knowing how often the Exile was traveling between the Earth and the Prester of the first series, it's hard to predict just how much supplies, troops, etc Sophia has likely secretly brought over to Earth, but I'm sure the Silvana isn't operating in a complete vacuum, even if they are trying to pirate warships, rather than build their own.
We know some Anatoray green colored warships seen to be deployed from "Last Exile" space/starship..

Last edited by encia; 2011-11-15 at 05:25.
Old 2011-11-15, 05:32   Link #955
encia

Quote:
The original was totally serious. Just look at the chocobo rip-offs running around, the other pilots' nicknames, most of Mullin's antics, and at least half of the next episode previews. Yup, no silliness to be found here, no-siree-bob. Remember: there is absolutely nothing comical about a little girl running around a battleship with a bleating stuffed sheep.

Personally, I'm upset that they increased the average age of the show. Fam and Giselle are slightly older than what Claus and Lavie were (Fam is almost 16!), the the returning characters are 2 years older by virtue of aging, and Millia is way older than Alvis was. I want my stuffed sheep hugging loli back!
How about an older still loli Alvis E. Hamilton?
Old 2011-11-15, 05:48   Link #956
Friday
Im shy too...

Quote:
Silvana is still intact.....Sophia Flagship
as for Tatiana.....probarly for amusement and make a fleet for Millia
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 10:36   Link #957
TheKage

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Sara refers to the little Empress of Ades i.e. Empress Sara Augusta.
I believe the idea was what if Sara's mother wasn't actually dead.
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-15, 12:24   Link #958
4Tran

Last Exile - Episode 6

All in all, this was a pretty decent follow up to the last episode. Millia's maid getup was a bit intrusive, but only a bit. I'm looking forward to see what they have planned for a government-in-exile. Giselle's heist was pretty decent for anime plans, despite it being a bit (a lot) unbelievable.

But what takes the cake for me was the Ades speech/gathering at the end. All of it - the layout, the iconography, the uniforms and the speeches themselves are references to the Nuremburg Rallies. This certainly gives a different feel to the cheer of "Gloria Augusta!"
Old 2011-11-15, 14:52   Link #959
Stevie_Nix
Longtime Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKage View Post
The Silvius is the basically the tip of the spear for Anatoray's navy. Tatiana and Sophia would only probably want the best to crew the Silvius. Since no one else knows more about Claudia units, of course he would be picked. He probably oversaw the construction of the Silvius's unit in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Silvana is still intact.....Sophia Flagship
as for Tatiana.....probarly for amusement and make a fleet for Millia
From the way she said it, I always assumed it was supposed to be a joke. But now that it looks like those lost birds Dio brought with him could actualy do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Last Exile - Episode 6

But what takes the cake for me was the Ades speech/gathering at the end. All of it - the layout, the iconography, the uniforms and the speeches themselves are references to the Nuremburg Rallies. This certainly gives a different feel to the cheer of "Gloria Augusta!"
So I wasn't the only one expecting everyone to go "zig hile" (sp?) at the end. Actually if we accept that this taking place in the eastern Mediterranean, then it would be more Imperial Rome. But since Fascism was based in part on iconography of Rome, then yes.

Basically Sara is the littlest fascist dictator whether she realizes it on not.

Spoiler for Speculation on the time frame post episode 05:

Last edited by Stevie_Nix; 2011-11-16 at 01:29.
Old 2011-11-15, 14:56   Link #960
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie_Nix View Post

Also I wonder what they were drinking at the end. Water? Juice? Table beer?
It's anime. So, probably juice. But, we all know 'juice' is the anime metaphor for beer.
Also, cake.

Tags
adventure, science fiction