Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-10, 13:10   Link #17081
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It was this line that triggered my "o.O" -- "targeting civilians in such numbers are rare."

The drug cartels in Mexico are essentially "the authorities" in some areas either by eliminating or owning the uniforms and politicians. Civilians who speak out or ask for rule-of-law are butchered (literally). Legitimate economies are collapsing as they're extorted or simply destroyed. Law-abiding citizens work for the cartels or no one. If it were simply the cartels killing each other, oh well... but the 'civilian' deaths have sky-rocketed in the last few years. Lawful assaults on drug cartels require full military operations, drone strikes, or SEAL level of targeted assassinations these days.
Old 2011-10-10, 13:55   Link #17082
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

The talk about the cartels reminded me of this article I saw this week:

Quote:
Mexican drug gangs competing for 'cartel cred'

Masked gunmen dump the bodies of 35 slaying victims during rush hour as terrified motorists watch and tweet friends to avoid the avenue in a Gulf coast city. A couple of weeks later, 32 more corpses are found nearby in three houses.

A woman's decapitated body is left at a border city's monument to Columbus, the head atop a computer keyboard with a sign saying she was killed for blogging about drug traffickers.

The severed heads of five men are dumped outside an elementary school in Acapulco, and two more near a military base in Mexico City days later.

That was just in the last three weeks.

The brutal public killings that began about five years ago have worsened as Mexican drug cartels try to one-up each other in their quest to scare off rivals, authorities and would-be informers - and still stun Mexicans increasingly numbed to the gory spectacles.

Since then, drug traffickers have plunged into even more gruesome tactics. They have tied victims to overpasses and shot them to death during rush hour as sickened motorists watched. Some have decapitated people alive and then posted videos of it on the internet.

"In terms of the cruelty, it's the Zetanisation of the country because the Zetas were the first to introduce these ghastly tactics into Mexico," said George W. Grayson, a Mexico expert at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia, who has written several books about the rapidly expanding drug cartel. The Zetas are the game-changers.

Public Safety Secretary Genaro Garcia Luna has said Mexican drug traffickers copied the terror tactic from the al-Qaida in Iraq after it posted videos on the internet of the decapitations of Americans. He said the cartels are using al-Qaida's methods to pressure the government to halt its crackdown against drug traffickers, which has fractured many of the gangs.

Authorities have also said that in 2005, the Zetas began enlisting "Kaibiles," former members of an elite Guatemalan counterinsurgency unit, to train newly recruited foot soldiers. The Kaibiles were known for massacres during the Guatemalan civil war that ended in the mid-1990s.
Old 2011-10-10, 15:23   Link #17083
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

It's not called the Mexican Drug War for nothing.
Old 2011-10-10, 22:07   Link #17084
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Egypt Christians vent fury after clashes kill 25
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7981Q220111010

Torture rife in Afghan detention facilities
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...79960H20111010
Old 2011-10-10, 22:08   Link #17085
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It was this line that triggered my "o.O" -- "targeting civilians in such numbers are rare."

The drug cartels in Mexico are essentially "the authorities" in some areas either by eliminating or owning the uniforms and politicians. Civilians who speak out or ask for rule-of-law are butchered (literally). Legitimate economies are collapsing as they're extorted or simply destroyed. Law-abiding citizens work for the cartels or no one. If it were simply the cartels killing each other, oh well... but the 'civilian' deaths have sky-rocketed in the last few years. Lawful assaults on drug cartels require full military operations, drone strikes, or SEAL level of targeted assassinations these days.
My mistake. Thanks for the info.

@DonQuigleone
Quote:
It's not called the Mexican Drug War for nothing.
Actually, I might be old fashioned, but I expect the military to get involved in a "war". The fact that I have never heard of anything about the Mexican military combating the drug cartels gives me the idea that the drug cartels are somewhat still "underground".
Old 2011-10-10, 22:14   Link #17086
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
@DonQuigleone

Actually, I might be old fashioned, but I expect the military to get involved in a "war". The fact that I have never heard of anything about the Mexican military combating the drug cartels gives me the idea that the drug cartels are somewhat still "underground".
Actualy if my memory isn't failing me, they used ( and are probably still ) the army to do police works like the street patrol in some towns.
Old 2011-10-11, 04:14   Link #17087
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
@DonQuigleone

That's where you're wrong, it is the mexican military fighting the cartels. Most of the local cops would be too corrupted to be able to do anything. The main combatants on the mexican side are the army and federal police (which are an army in themselves). Just read the wikpedia page!
Old 2011-10-11, 05:27   Link #17088
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
That's where you're wrong, it is the mexican military fighting the cartels. Most of the local cops would be too corrupted to be able to do anything. The main combatants on the mexican side are the army and federal police (which are an army in themselves). Just read the wikpedia page!
Easy,easy, man. I should have written that part in the past tense.
Old 2011-10-11, 15:48   Link #17089
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Iranians charged in U.S. over assassination plot
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...79A5E020111011
Quote:
U.S. authorities broke up a plot by two men linked to the Iranian government to assassinate the Saudi ambassador in the United States, U.S. officials said on Tuesday, escalating tensions between Tehran and Washington
Old 2011-10-11, 16:14   Link #17090
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Lol, now how's that for irony...
Old 2011-10-11, 17:41   Link #17091
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Let's see if it involves a cook again....

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-10-11, 17:50   Link #17092
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Let's see if it involves a cook again....
Why a cook ?
Old 2011-10-11, 20:42   Link #17093
AnimeFan188

"The Justice Department unsealed a five-count criminal complaint Tuesday alleging
Iran-backed agents plotted to assassinate Saudi Arabia's ambassador to the United
States and possibly bomb the Saudi and Israeli embassies in Washington, D.C."

"The Envoy reported last month that Al-Jubeir personally brought a secret letter
from King Abdullah from Saudi Arabia to President Obama at the White House in
September. He then left almost immediately for Saudi Arabia again. The White
House and Saudi embassy did not disclose what the subject of the correspondence
involved."

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/envoy/sa...201032231.html

The plot thickens...........
Old 2011-10-11, 21:51   Link #17094
flying ^

oh well... there goes 0bama's 'Jobs Bill'.....
Old 2011-10-11, 22:00   Link #17095
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
oh well... there goes 0bama's 'Jobs Bill'.....
Misleading... directly from the article:
Quote:
Barack Obama’s economic agenda suffered a setback in the Senate on Tuesday, as Republicans blocked the president’s $447 billion jobs bill from advancing, with Democrats were already preparing an alternate strategy to push it through Congress.
We could also point out that the GOP blocked a tax cut in doing this :
Quote:
The Obama jobs bill would also cut workers’ payroll taxes in half next year, from 6.2% to 3.1%.
Old 2011-10-12, 00:20   Link #17096
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Australia passed Carbon tax

And for your information, yes, we do have electricity, and no they are not driven by kangaroo on bike

And just for the laugh:
Old 2011-10-12, 00:33   Link #17097
GundamFan0083

How's that going to effect your economy down under?
Old 2011-10-12, 00:36   Link #17098
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
How's that going to effect your economy down under?
Every party got their own idea on that... so I probably need to wait few months to answer that
Old 2011-10-12, 04:13   Link #17099
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post

And just for the laugh:
All for the oppression of former colonists, you guys have been getting a bit uppity lately, what what!
Old 2011-10-12, 06:06   Link #17100
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
We could also point out that the GOP blocked a tax cut in doing this :
Doesn't count, since it's not a tax on the "job creators." The GOP is fine with tax on the middle class and poor.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international