AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-17, 23:42   Link #161
SuperiorX

if anything ACE could end up Whitebeards succesor after all this is done and said assuming he is saved and his head isnt chopped of and WG getting this info makes em want to exute him even more then ever bfore.
Old 2009-07-18, 00:01   Link #162
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiddon View Post
-sigh- why the heck do I always get the feeling that anyone who disagrees with me is ultimately using a circular argument or trying to avoid the accusation at hand? Ya wanna see a problem with this development? Simple: it has reduced Ace to a Macguffin, just a character who exists solely to explain a dead man who can no longer develop in the story line. Like it or not, Roger can't really develop and he can't contribute anything because he is dead. This entire thread has kept saying this.

Roger
Roger
Roger
Roger
Roger

That is it, cries for a man who can no longer do anything or grow. I don't really see how this does anything for the plot and trying to make it a way to see Ace grow is silly, especially since he's only a supporting character.
Just like Zorro, Usopp, Sanji, Nami, Chopper, Robin, Franky, and Brook(basically all the Straw Hats). Because we all know that none of them were developed as a result of their past stories and through dead characters. Yep this just proves your point that dead people and past stories mean squat in this manga .
Old 2009-07-18, 01:14   Link #163
Master Mold
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
The hell are you complaining about man?
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=134
Why ask a question when the answer was already presented?

Quote:
Don't post something retarded and then back it up with 'takes only a lil reading and good ol' comprehension to understand'.
The only post that showed signs of a user being a bit on the disability side is this one.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=135

Quote:
Odas the bloody narrator. Obviously hes allowed to speak, no?
Did I ever say the narrator shouldn't' speak? When your Narrator skills are lacking and doing a bit of regurgitating old sh8t. Shut the hell up and quit stalling and bring something new to the table, or does he need to take another break to do so?
Old 2009-07-18, 01:24   Link #164
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I was expecting a connection to Roger through Luffy. But Oda gave it in a maybe more interesting way. Considering what Roger had done for his real son Luffy, it also becomes understandable why he stayed quiet till now. And, Garp is really an interesting character. Saving the enemy's child and raising him like his grandson. And being able to hide this for the last ~20 years. That is quite amazing.

Now, I wonder what Whitebeard's reaction will be. Though I have a feeling that, he may already be aware of the similarities between him and Roger. The same also goes for Shanks.

At the least, this is good sign that may allow a good portion of the missing members of Roger's crew to appear.
Old 2009-07-18, 02:24   Link #165
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

It does not have to be Garp who found him. Let's not forget, it has been mentioned before that Garp had a close encounter with Roger many times. Consider Aokiji's encounter with Luffy, with Luffy as strong as him, or even stronger. The result would not be a success for him. Just one of many with no capture at end.

But, considering Ace's age, the birth seems to have happened when Roger was already sick, and about to die. Around that time, it wouldn't be surprising for Roger to communicate with Garp to return himself in. Capturing Roger in return for taking care of his son is not a big deal. Since he is also the father of someone named Dragon. Father being criminal does not mean the son will be the same, or vice versa.

Also, the birth didn't happen around the time that the Government was expecting Rouge to give birth. It was a nice decision by Rouge, even though it is still difficult to understand how it happened. If the Government is not aware of the actual time of birth, it would be really difficult to succeed in terms of finding her and the son.
Old 2009-07-18, 09:00   Link #166
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I'm personally not going to get my hopes up about that little goat being something truly special. Remember Lucci's pigeon, Hattori? It turned out to be nothing more than his ordinary pet.

Yeah, that's true.... still, I always found it pretty odd that the goat looked exactly the same even the Ohara flashback, which took place twenty years in the past (of course, there's the chance that it's a different goat altogether, but I sorta doubt it).. Hence, why I assume that the critter may be a possible DF weapon. Spandam had Funk Freed (the elephant) since he was a little kid, so I wouldn't think it impossible for Sengoku to have kept his pet/weapon with him for an extended period of time.......
Old 2009-07-18, 14:58   Link #167
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
But, considering Ace's age, the birth seems to have happened when Roger was already sick, and about to die.
No, Ace was born 1 year and 3 months after the death of Roger (as was stated by Sengoku in this very chapter). I think you meant to say that Ace was "conceived" relatively 5 months prior to Roger's execution.
Old 2009-07-18, 15:47   Link #168
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Carrying a baby for that long is pure torture. I don't know whether that should evoke respect, or confusion from me.

Now that the truth is out, Ace does seem like Gol D. Roger very much, though. His face and everything are almost identical. I'm sure that Whitebeard knew Ace was Roger's son. But what about if he didn't know?

This is not very likely at all, but maybe his rivalry with Roger from years ago may cause him to refuse to re-accept Ace into the crew...? But no: there is substantial proof from canon that Whitebeard isn't the petty type. He very comfortably, albeit a bit condescendingly, but relatively warmly nontheless, received Shanks onto his ship for conversation.

I honestly can't really bring up any good speculation at this point, seeing as we ALL have no idea what's going to happen next. There are too many too-hugely influential characters who are being revealed in rapid succession. Luffy's Father is revealed to be Dragon, and Rayleigh appears on Shaobody. Then, Kuma reveals that he has hidden motives for being in the Shichibukai, which can only yet be explained by marvelB's theory that Kuma is a follower of Dragon.

After this, suddenly we're introduced to two characters whom I assume will have greater significance soon: Ivankov and Inazuma. And now this whole Ace thing, along with the silhouette introduction to Portgas D. Rouge, coupled with Garp's deep connection with two of the top players in the game: Roger AND Dragon.

Garp seems a bit ashamed, to some extent, of having sheltered Ace (?), as it seems from his expression. I'm not sure, but maybe there's some deepter story even than what we have here, where Garp confronted Ace before he left to join Whitebeard, and they have a bitter past or something (?).

Then: Where exactly does Whitebeards relationship with Ace sit in all of this? How does it fit into the equation? Does he KNOW that Ace is Roger's son? If so, did he take Ace in as a sort of tribute to a good rival? Or, were he and Roger good friends, or at least respectful peers?

This is similar to Heroes Season 4, where, after Three prior seasons of the older generation just pulling out deep, hateful, dark, murky secret after shady, deceptive secret, Angela decides to finally come out with everything about the beginnings of the Company, and all of the strange events that happened in the past.

I like the fact that Oda had planned One Piece so DEEP. It's intriguing that he had all of this planned from the beginning. It's almost impossible to believe that someone could plan something out so well.

I MUST give a round of my most heartfelt applause to Oda for this chapter. It was amazing.

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2009-07-18, 17:24   Link #169
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
Carrying a baby for that long is pure torture. I don't know whether that should evoke respect, or confusion from me.
As usual, Oda picks some atypical places to bend reality. In fiction, it's very rare for someone's birth to come late like this. That rareness gives it shock value.

Quote:
Now that the truth is out, Ace does seem like Gol D. Roger very much, though. His face and everything are almost identical. I'm sure that Whitebeard knew Ace was Roger's son. But what about if he didn't know?
If he didn't, does he know now? Has Sengoku's words just been broadcast to the world? If so, Whitebeard could quite possibly know now. It's also possible he overheard the conversation between Luffy and Marine HQ the previous chapter.

If Whitebeard appears next chapter, it'll be rather convenient for Luffy and co - a nice "distraction"

I particularly wonder how Whitebeard is going to appear. I don't think he'll do something as boring as simply sail in to view...
Old 2009-07-18, 17:45   Link #170
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
I particularly wonder how Whitebeard is going to appear. I don't think he'll do something as boring as simply sail in to view...
Come right under the Marines, from Fishman island, wrecking the place. If possible..?

Last edited by Phenomenal; 2009-07-18 at 17:57.
Old 2009-07-18, 18:28   Link #171
james0246

^Or better yet, he could have gone to a Sky Island and then jumped off, only to ride down on an Octopus...
Old 2009-07-18, 19:52   Link #172
marvelB

About Whitebeard's appearance, I quote myself from the previous page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Oh, by the way, I believe that Luffy's group won't have to worry about opening the gate of justice themselves.... I imagine that the Moby Dick will suddenly rise from the ocean's depths, right near the hijacked battleship, and Whitebeard will use his mighty strength to split open the gate like a knife through butter. All the while, I'll bet poor ol' Buggy will just gape at Newgate with a slack-jawed expression on his face.

Seeing as the Moby Dick is a whale-shaped ship, it can probably dive underwater, as well. Heck, if Wapol can have a submarine ship, then why not Whitebeard?
Old 2009-07-18, 19:56   Link #173
Tsukishirou

Just read this this chapter a while ago, after reading the end of this chapter I think I had a blank stare for like 10 minutes in front of the PC...

BUT!, ...then Are Ace and Luffy not blood brothers?!
Old 2009-07-19, 03:21   Link #174
Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukishirou View Post
Just read this this chapter a while ago, after reading the end of this chapter I think I had a blank stare for like 10 minutes in front of the PC...

BUT!, ...then Are Ace and Luffy not blood brothers?!
No, they are not brothers in blood but they consider each other as his real brother.

[Gol D Roger+Portgas D Rouge = Porgas D Ace] and [Monkey D Dragon + ????????? = Monkey D Luffy]

Porgas D Rouge can't be Luffys mother either because she died giving birth to Ace who is elder 'brother'.

I dont really think that Ace or Luffy care about who their parents really were they consider each other brothers and they grew up together.
Old 2009-07-19, 13:37   Link #175
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
It was a stunning revelation...

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Old 2009-07-20, 07:37   Link #176
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Well, it sure paves the way for some seriousness in the story, which is what makes it worthwhile. People claimed that the age of pirates is coming to an end since Roger died, but with his heir alive, this is a big twist for WG's plans...what will they do now, I mean besides the obvious execution attempt? Still wondering what kind of age they want to begin, or what they did in the void century (not expecting answers anytime soon though).
Old 2009-07-20, 08:47   Link #177
Vampire
Birth by Moonlight

Send a message via MSN to Vampire
The main question in this whole arc should be this: Is Ace going to live? As for me, I can't tell neither because A. This might be a whole trigger to the world and the only time death is allowed in One Piece or B. Following the rule of no deaths and expanding Ace's character role in the story.
Old 2009-07-20, 10:02   Link #178
shankss
CP10

If Akainu is really a plant/nature/rose user like people guess, Ace must be avoided to confront him for the plots sake.He'd do better dead.

Also I cant really see Ace going back to his normal life as a normal pirate anymore now that everyone knows his father was Roger.If its fresh news to Whitebeard, Depending on Whitebeard's thoughts about Gol D Roger, he'd not allow his former rivals son in his army anymore.Maybe only to humiliate him.
Not sure if Whitebeard enjoyed the rivalry between him and Roger but Roger won the world and WB left aside as the second strongest guy in his times until Roger died.Why would any pirate feel pity for his nemesis's son? Only if Whitebeard vs Roger were friendly rivals.
Old 2009-07-20, 11:17   Link #179
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
No, they are not brothers in blood but they consider each other as his real brother.

[Gol D Roger+Portgas D Rouge = Porgas D Ace] and [Monkey D Dragon + ????????? = Monkey D Luffy]

Porgas D Rouge can't be Luffys mother either because she died giving birth to Ace who is elder 'brother'.
Unless Monkey D. Dragon is Gol D Roger, or Better yet, Portagas D. Rougue was also Luffy's mother, and she somehow with pure Will power conceive him while been death, if you could do it 20 months with Ace, why not Luffy?

Either way, I’m curious to know how many here think Oda is going to Kill of Ace?

Right now, its going to take a very interesting plot (bordering Deux ex Machina) to save him, but I’m leaning towards 80% Sure that Ace is going to survive this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankss View Post
Not sure if Whitebeard enjoyed the rivalry between him and Roger but Roger won the world and WB left aside as the second strongest guy in his times until Roger died.Why would any pirate feel pity for his nemesis's son? Only if Whitebeard vs Roger were friendly rivals.
If what WB tought about Ace is as the same as what Ace thought about WB (which Im positive it is), then WB don't see Ace as Rogers son, but he see him as His own son.
Old 2009-07-20, 12:38   Link #180
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
Right now, its going to take a very interesting plot (bordering Deux ex Machina) to save him, but I’m leaning towards 80% Sure that Ace is going to survive this.
I'm actually at 50/50 right now (originally I was at 80/20, the same as you). I do think that this recent revelation could very well be the needed groundwork for Ace's death, but I'm not getting my hopes up too far.
Closed Thread