AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 24 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 36 40.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 28.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 14.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.41%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 3.41%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.14%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 3.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-23, 11:27   Link #61
klare

no happy ending, but it is still a good end, all 4 penguins still around

feel like many things remain unexplained, but they are not the major ones

overall, for me this is be one of the best series in 2011, however its unique style of story telling and presentation may not be accepted by everyone
Old 2011-12-23, 11:42   Link #62
Razziell22

Ah, That was a bittersweet ending, Himari crying at the end while reading the note from the brothers and not knowing why she is crying, broke my heart heh;_;
Not to forget the scene where Kanba shares the fruit of fate with Shouma it was really sad and beautiful at the same time... and all the Himari x Kanba and Ringo x Shouma scenes where great as well i really wanted both of those pairs to be together at the end (in heaven or real world or whatever where doesn't matter) but i guess Himari/Ringo and Kanba/Shouma is understandable and i can accept it as the ending was done beautifully imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
I don't think I could've hoped for a better ending for Kanba who is definitely the character who left the strongest impression on me, even though I ended up growing attached to about everyone, which is never an easy feat. Series of the year, thank you Ikuhara.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YayPepsi View Post
Same here. I've been a day one Kanba fan and this ending made me happy for him. Sure, he died at the end, but he was with Shouma. And like they said "It's not over. What I'm trying to say is that's actually where everything begins!"
& ofc, i agree with both of you as always
Old 2011-12-23, 12:00   Link #63
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Series still didn't answer how Himari fell out of favour with double H, when she was leaving the school back in elementary and even double H looked angry at her.

Which made me kinda sad that Triple H didn't happen in the new world, since with no answers present, I assumed the reason for them falling out was because the whole school knew that she was related to THE Takakuras. And since in the new world Himari seems to be adopted by different people (presumably the "Uncle" we've always heard about), I don't see why Triple H wouldn't happen when the main reasons for stopping that (Himari being a Takakura + Himari's health) aren't present in the new world.

Oh well, at least YuriXTabuki is a VERY happy end. I honestly didn't care much about the other pairings at this point, and seeing them together (or at least Tabuki finally SEEING Yuri) makes me a very happy shipper.

All in all, I found that the high point in the series was when Tabuki kidnapped Himari. And while I'm in a mixed bag about what happens after that, that episode alone made Penguin Drum the best anime series of the year for me.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2011-12-23, 12:47   Link #64
tsunade666

fabulous max! and truly electrifying but even with those words are probably not enough to show how magnificent this final ending is. It's really superb that it will be forever etched inside my heart. Though it's kinda sad that I didn't understand most of the symbolism unless I read on the forums on what it meant. It kinda lost in that department but even so it manage to reach out into me or it's audience.

The final episode from the very beginning excites me to no end but leaves me with a part in my heart that's been torn apart. It's kinda sad ending. Sweet but sad and truly a bitter sweet ending. I could probably take it and understand that they sacrifice themselves to save Ringo and Himari but it hits me really hard when the people they left behind doesn't remember them at all. The physical evidence are even wipe out. With the picture and such of those two. It's kinda sad and... a sheesh what a scene to be remember. The final note with "I love you" from your brothers really hit the jackpot on my heart. I can't stop the tears now ;_; really sad ending. And in the end Shouma and Kanba are together with the endless ride of their new lives which is also the beginning but they are still dead and people who fear death won't be able to attained the apple of fate. The sharing of destiny and the changing of destiny. Such strong love and emotion in it when Ringo shout out the magical phrase. It's really electrifying moments. And Sanethoshi is left out and even Momoka are onto new journey. Masako thinking that it's all just a dream with Mario back to health but probably in her head. She still remembers Kanba.... or so I wish. It's just so sad when Shouma and Kanba where forgotten and remove from the world.

This event is so dramatic and it felt much stronger than Madoka being removed from the world. Well at least in Madoka's case. Homura was still waiting but for the brothers.... ;_; so sad Himari with the help of number 3 leaving behind the stuffed toyed which she treasure behind with a message slips inside it's tummy maybe a bit manage to remember those two but it looks to me she still doesn't remember in her memory but in her heart. She was crying. And the finally with the two brothers which are left out of the world taking a new trip to the new world.

Kanba's last few words are truly magnificent.

The end and the beginning ;_;
Old 2011-12-23, 12:50   Link #65
Utsuro no Hako

I just realized that the three best anime of this year had extremely similar endings.

Spoiler:
Old 2011-12-23, 13:35   Link #66
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

i'm still bawling so this may not be coherent

what a beautiful ending, although initially i was so sad to know that shoma and kanba are both dead--then i saw them together as kids like giovanni and campenella and it really is a bittersweet ending.

everything came full circle. i also really love the theme of this series--the real tragedy isn't being gone, it's being forgotten (and unloved). and the penguins/scars saw to it that kanba and shoma wouldn't be forgotten.

i wish we got more explanation on the boxes, but that's okay. i also agree with the consensus that double h backstory would've been nice as well

i'll be honest, i was envisioning an ending where himari would die and they'd come to terms with it but this was a beautifully done alternative.

so the sentence about sharing all of their love and punishment was between shoma and kanba all along i should've put two and two together with the black/white bears to symbolize kanba/shoma. i'm also glad my initial theory of the show being about circumventing fate was true, at least fate in sanetoshi's sense. kanba and shoma technically got their happy endings--for kanba, himari was literally his life and so he saved her and for shoma, the ability to save his family and to love (ringo).

i still don't get sanetoshi--i understand his message, but i'm a bit unsure where he stands at the end of the series. not a lot of progression for him or momoka though his interactions with momoka are a joy to watch.

all in all, AMAZING SERIES. IKUHARA DELIVERED

Last edited by mellomarie; 2011-12-23 at 13:46.
Old 2011-12-23, 14:32   Link #67
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
I don't really get it at all.

Spoiler for final ep.:
Old 2011-12-23, 14:53   Link #68
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Another thing I liked about the ending is if you notice Himari looks to be wearing a school uniform at the end. So it seems Kan & Sho gave back her life both literally & Figuratively. She has school, parents, and a close friend in Ringo. I was sad to see the house is no longer the bright colors the brothers painted it, but it doesn't look drab either.
It even looks like the outfit you see her briefly wearing in the first ED which I thought was a neat touch.
Old 2011-12-23, 17:02   Link #69
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Anyone else notice this little bit?

Spoiler for Blink and you'll miss it:

Himari's not the only one with something from the brothers (the scar on her forehead). It looks like Ringo has one too, hidden by her uniform most likely.
Thank you!! I don't know why I didn't notice this. I watched the episodes multiple times, looking for something like this even, and I just couldn't find it. Anyway, as a Ringo fan and to a leaser extent a RingoxShouma fan, you made my day!!
Old 2011-12-23, 17:10   Link #70
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
And while it's sad the brothers are forgotten, no one ended up alone. That I really could not have taken.
Sanetoshi did. I doubt you care about him though
Old 2011-12-23, 17:11   Link #71
kitten320

I'm confused... Why did Kanba start to bleed all of a sudden? Where exactly he and Shoume were locked? What the hell is the Penguindrum and why was it inside Shouma? What exactly does apple symbolize?
Old 2011-12-23, 17:26   Link #72
Krusiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I'm confused... Why did Kanba start to bleed all of a sudden? Where exactly he and Shoume were locked? What the hell is the Penguindrum and why was it inside Shouma? What exactly does apple symbolize?
I swear I made a post about this since someone else already asked but my post is no where to be found. ~_~ Anyway,
Spoiler:

Sorry for the wall of text, and I'm also sorry if any of it is sloppy or confusing to read. I'm not used to writing this much.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-12-23 at 23:28.
Old 2011-12-23, 18:07   Link #73
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
I just realized that the three best anime of this year had extremely similar endings.

Spoiler:
So why is it I felt good about the other two, and this one left me feeling... meh? Maybe because it felt like in those first two there was a struggle and ultimately while it was bittersweet there was still some promise while this one seemed to be more of "best compromise that can be made given the rules"...
Old 2011-12-23, 18:20   Link #74
Krusiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
So why is it I felt good about the other two, and this one left me feeling... meh? Maybe because it felt like in those first two there was a struggle and ultimately while it was bittersweet there was still some promise while this one seemed to be more of "best compromise that can be made given the rules"...
Don't worry you aren't alone. After watching 24 the first time I was like "Oh so that's how it ends? Alright then." The only emotion I got out of it was sadness and that's only because the series is over now.

Don't get me wrong I really like this series; it's my third favorite of the year. It's not like the ending was bad either since it gave us closure but I was expecting more.
Old 2011-12-23, 18:23   Link #75
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I'm confused... Why did Kanba start to bleed all of a sudden?
Those weird "bloods" things turned into apples and if we take apples to symbolically represent "purpose" then we can say that Kanba was losing his "purpose", which was to save Himari.

Quote:
Where exactly he and Shoume were locked?
Satenoshi often talked about boxes and people never breaking out of them. What I'm guessing they represent is a cage that prevents people from reaching a purpose (Satenoshi was evidently quite the nihilistic). Kanba found a "purpose" (the apple) which I think was to do with Himari and decided to share it with Shoma who also took it upon himself to protect Himari.

Quote:
What the hell is the Penguindrum and why was it inside Shouma?
I think the apple (his "purpose") was the penguindrum, which is why Shoma's was half and he was giving it back to Kanba.

That's about the best I can make of it.
Old 2011-12-23, 18:46   Link #76
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I think the apple (his "purpose") was the penguindrum, which is why Shoma's was half and he was giving it back to Kanba.
Yeah, the flashback kinda shows the "penguindrum" was originally Kanba's. His purpose, his decision to live for Himari. Kanba gave half of that purpose to Shouma and now Shouma gives back to him.

Remember back in episode 17 the PotC did tell Kanba "the penguindrum is your..."

And it was true, the penguindrum was kanba's all along. It just happened that half of it was with Shouma.
Old 2011-12-23, 19:04   Link #77
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

To be honest though, I think the only way we can fully understand this ending is if we go back and rewatch the entire series...

No time to waste then.
Old 2011-12-23, 19:11   Link #78
mark1246

AFTER reading four pages of mix review of the ending that some people WHERE HAPPY AND SOME people where sad (IM sad too) that shouma and Kanba where forgotten, disappear, and went to another world (whatever you guys think). Man what a mess up ending with all the other anime there is that have SAD ending!! yes there are a lot of video game and Anime that has similar ending like Penguin Drum

NOW!

You KNOW PEOPLE EVEN THOUGH IT THE END OF THE ANIME...the novel is still on going- and it was stated by the author that the story for the novel is different for the ending from the anime! So there hope for the guys who want a happy ending that want ShoumaXRingo together and KISS maybe :0. But we need some brave soul to read the novel and tell us what happen because it in japan and i don’t speak japanese

BUt if you do thank for doing it
Old 2011-12-23, 19:17   Link #79
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1246 View Post
You KNOW PEOPLE EVEN THOUGH IT THE END OF THE ANIME...the novel is still on going- and it was stated by the author that the story for the novel is different for the ending from the anime!
Unfortunately that was a misunderstanding. The ending is the same. The novel's just going to expand it a bit with extended scenes and such.
Old 2011-12-23, 21:03   Link #80
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

fabulous max ending