Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-07-29, 10:01   Link #1
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso [Manga]

Quote:
Piano prodigy Arima Kosei dominated the competition and all child musicians knew his name. But after his mother, who was also his instructor, passed away, he had a mental breakdown while performing at a recital that resulted in him no longer being able to hear the sound of his piano even though his hearing was perfectly fine. Even two years later, Kosei hasn’t touched the piano and views the world in monotone, and without any flair or color. He was content at living out his life with his good friends Tsubaki and Watari until, one day, a girl changed everything. Miyazono Kaori is a pretty, free spirited violinist whose playing style reflects her personality. Kaori helps Kosei return to the music world and show that it should be free and mold breaking unlike the structured and rigid style Kosei was used to.

Nominated for the 2012 Manga Taisho Award.
Another shoujo manga(?) that I think has potential. The drawing itself isn't all that impressive, but somehow blends very well with the manga.

Only the first chapter is scanlated so far, so there's nothing much to discuss right now

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 14:56   Link #2
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Hmmm, the reverse of the musical aspect of Nodame Cantabile?

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 15:27   Link #3
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I don't really get what you meant, but... you mean the part where the mc starts of as a genius but was held back because of trauma?

Old 2012-07-29, 15:35   Link #4
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
I don't really get what you meant, but... you mean the part where the mc starts of as a genius but was held back because of trauma?
No, I meant that in Nodame, Chiaki is stern as a musical prodigy and Nodame is more free-spirited, despite being very talented. As much as Nodame wished to play free-spiritedly, in the end, Chiaki tries to point her in the direction to make her music conform to the style/feelings of the original pieces. So basically, over the course of the series, she is taught(mostly by Auclair, but minorly by Stresemann/Chiaki) to not play as free-spirited as when she first started, which is the opposite of what those two chars in the synopsis of this story says.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 16:07   Link #5
Johnny
Working the bags...

Looks quite interesting and without really spoiling much...
Spoiler:
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 16:36   Link #6
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
No, I meant that in Nodame, Chiaki is stern as a musical prodigy and Nodame is more free-spirited, despite being very talented. As much as Nodame wished to play free-spiritedly, in the end, Chiaki tries to point her in the direction to make her music conform to the style/feelings of the original pieces. So basically, over the course of the series, she is taught(mostly by Auclair, but minorly by Stresemann/Chiaki) to not play as free-spirited as when she first started, which is the opposite of what those two chars in the synopsis of this story says.
Hmm..it kinda seems to give that feeling when reading chapter 1. For me the story theme is like trying to get a sense of music that he lost though

Quote:
Looks quite interesting and without really spoiling much...
I got the RAW but haven't got a chance to read all of them.
Spoiler:

Old 2012-07-29, 16:50   Link #7
Johnny
Working the bags...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
I got the RAW but haven't got a chance to read all of them.
Spoiler:
Hmm, not much...
Spoiler:
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 22:34   Link #8
DawnEmperor

I started to read the series, but overall reading it got me a bit irritated. I mean I know it's for the sake of comedy but at times it seems like they really abuse the shit out of the main character, even treating his Freudian Excuse trivially. While on a personal level I just don't enjoy the violent girl cliche, it also seems to clash with the tone in some ways(is that how someone overcomes their inabilities)?.

Anyway I don't dislike the main character but they don't really expand on his character other than "I used to play piano then I stopped" and he just gets dragged around by the whims of the plot. That is, since the plot requires him to return to piano, that's pretty much what all the characters do. No analysis on his actual shortcomings, it just treats his mother dying and his inability to play piano as just some "try harder" scenario.

It's only been a few chapters so I know I'm being a bit harsh. But I guess some plot elements irritated me.
DawnEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-13, 17:03   Link #9
Hassou Tobi

Okay, so the first 19 chapters have been translated, and 37 have been released in total thus far.

Spoiler for Post-Chapter 19:
Hassou Tobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-13, 18:56   Link #10
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassou Tobi View Post
Okay, so the first 19 chapters have been translated, and 37 have been released in total thus far.

Yeah.
Spoiler for post chapter 19-27:
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-13, 19:42   Link #11
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnEmperor View Post
I started to read the series, but overall reading it got me a bit irritated. I mean I know it's for the sake of comedy but at times it seems like they really abuse the shit out of the main character, even treating his Freudian Excuse trivially. While on a personal level I just don't enjoy the violent girl cliche, it also seems to clash with the tone in some ways(is that how someone overcomes their inabilities)?.

Anyway I don't dislike the main character but they don't really expand on his character other than "I used to play piano then I stopped" and he just gets dragged around by the whims of the plot. That is, since the plot requires him to return to piano, that's pretty much what all the characters do. No analysis on his actual shortcomings, it just treats his mother dying and his inability to play piano as just some "try harder" scenario.
Read on. I get where you're coming from, I felt a little bit the same way myself, but your concerns are all dealt with as the story progresses. The manic pixie dream girl will dial down the "try harder" optimism -- she's more perceptive than she acts -- and the main character's trauma and past will be treated with respect by the plot and the characters.

At least, that's how it goes so far in the scanlated chapters. I have no idea what kind of drama awaits but I get the feeling it's not going to be a smooth ride.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-14, 07:35   Link #12
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassou Tobi View Post

Woah. I've only read through 18, so that's interesting.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-14, 07:56   Link #13
Kirihara_R

Spoiler for .Kaori.:
Kirihara_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-14, 08:02   Link #14
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

What's the current chapter? I lost my old files that keep this manga so I don't remember where I left off

Old 2014-10-14, 08:04   Link #15
Kirihara_R

40 i guess? .. thats the latest chapter I read today ..

edit : I guess i was wrong that "site" keeps uploading new chapter
Kirihara_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-14, 08:13   Link #16
konokon
Banned

Chapter 41 is Released and KAORI Chan Now is in Operation Theatre .

Slice of Life Romance a bit Love story Emotions Tears and I am Reading

SHIGATSU WA KIMI NO USO . I saw its chapters Long ago but never paid attention
konokon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-16, 20:03   Link #17
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Also, does anyone else find it funny that chapters 18 and 19 were just released by an anime sub group because they said that they found that all of the manga translation groups were taking way too damn long. That's actually pretty hilarious.

After reading both of those chapters and seeing episode 2 my heart was astounded by how good it felt.

I'm so excited for more of this.
Old 2014-10-19, 15:40   Link #18
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Chapter 21 is translated and wow... I'm reminded with every passing chapter of how much I love this series. It's so easy to sink into the minds of the characters and wrap myself around how they must be feeling.

The feels are there, as well as the pessimism, but so is the optimism (in a sense). I really like how the concept of musicianship has been briefly explored with the series--as to why musicians play music.
Old 2014-10-19, 16:38   Link #19
steam fish

does arima ever get to hear the sound again? because i actually like his human metronome mode more than heart touching piano mode more xD
steam fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-19, 18:19   Link #20
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

Chap 21 made me so happy, even thought she said that she likes everyone, i felt a deeper meaning when she said it regarding arima.
Seems like he can move on now with the words that his teacher told him.
Come at me, romance !!!

Tags
music, romance