Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-10-09, 11:10   Link #1
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Does anime affect your life?

I hope this one haven't made this before on animesuki forum. IF I don't mind to post this but,

Does anime affect your life?

Yes. I used to watch animes which it really excites me a lot but sometimes could take it seriously especially Gundam series wondering what's gonna happen like 'it's gonna be an another new gundam series soon' & such. Or even my other favorite animes like Fullmetal alchemist, Chrono crusade & etc. Delusion much? Till I couldn't focused on other things to me like the things that couldn't forget like their stories on your favorite animes didn't make sense, some annoying & pain-in-the-ass characters/villains that you really want to just kick the snot out of & makes a 'drama' of it till you'll get stressed, lack of character development & etc? Well, I've seen it all.

Let's discuss it, shall we?

Last edited by Jeffry2009; 2011-10-09 at 13:19. Reason: Clearer & better thoughts about animes
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 12:24   Link #2
Kudryavka

Why are you taking fiction seriously? It's meant to be a getaway, not the Vible. :eyeroll:
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 12:40   Link #3
Jeffry2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Why are you taking fiction seriously? It's meant to be a getaway, not the Vible. :eyeroll:
That however, we usually have a descent conversation, but when it comes to it there's always has to be a drama. Like High School of the dead for example where some people like me didn't really liked it due to fanservices all over the place:

Spoiler for Like:

Last edited by Jeffry2009; 2011-10-09 at 13:24. Reason: Needs to clear this up properly before I go to bed
Old 2011-10-09, 13:59   Link #4
Kudryavka

I'm glad for you that jiggling boobies are a part of your real life, but still, what of it?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 15:17   Link #5
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Even though it's a fiction but some people gets affected by its content. Some things are really good enough to alter your perspective. Anyone who says that are not affected by fictions are goddamn liars. Anyways there are too many cynics who scoff at the idea of discussing anime, that's why I choose to never talk about anime to people outside.

My top anime has to be Haibane Renmei not just for its uplifting messages but also personal reasons. It got me through tough times as few other anime did. The sturgeon's law will apply to anything. While I like mainstream anime just as anyone else like Full Metal Alchemist, there are a lot many which I don't want to waste my time on. If the first episode doesn't grab you, it's least likely the following episodes will.

The thing is just because it's a fanservice doesn't mean that said anime would be bad. There are some fanservice anime that I actually liked a lot and was almost a harem to boot.

And I don't see why some people needs to always find out the exact point the OP is trying to make.
Old 2011-10-09, 16:23   Link #6
ArrowSmith

I have to say YES - because I see stories addressed in anime that aren't in live-action TV series or films. I find myself affected by certain animes way more then other media. F.e., show me a live-action anything that matches the beauty of "Haibine Renmei" or "Evangelion".
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 21:48   Link #7
Puddingman

Yea! Anime affects my life for sure. I think certain elements in anime that are emphasized in a series make me more aware of them in my own life. I don't mean huge story elements or anything, just tiny character traits or something like that.

For example, Konota in Lucky Star made me feel confident in my newly found "Otaku"ness.
Maka in Soul Eater makes me more aware/more interested in reading.

I'm sure there are some others. But really it's like, who doesn't read a good book or listen to a good album and not get anything out of it? Anime is beautiful like the rest of those mediums.

Also, I've found fiction to be the spice in daily mundane life.
Old 2011-10-09, 22:23   Link #8
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Fiction has a huge effect on people's lives. 5 - 6 billion people have their lives governed by a fictional work (6+ billion on planet, largest is either Atheist or Catholic at 1.1 billion).

Aside from that, nearly everything you experience affects you. Fiction tends to be on the lower end of the spectrum for their effects for the most part, but they can still have a significant impact on your life.

I would say 2 anime have affected my life significantly. Evangelion was gave me a lot of motivation to continue when I needed it. CLANNAD improved my relationship with the rest of my family.

Anime in general has been my primary source of entertainment and has introduced me to a lot of friends in real life and online. Its not really the type of effect the OP was intending I think, but it is still a significant effect nevertheless.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-09, 23:28   Link #9
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Yes, but not anymore than fiction usually does.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 01:35   Link #10
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
Fiction has a huge effect on people's lives. 5 - 6 billion people have their lives governed by a fictional work
Regardless of what your opinion is (I shan't bore you with mine here) on the world's various religious texts, I don't think this is a good comparison.

The people who live their lives according to the rules found within these texts believe that they are true, that it reflects the nature of existence, and hence, I don't consider that the same thing as when someone takes something away from a work they themselves recognize as fictional.

On to the actual topic, anime does of course influence my life, but that statement can be interpreted so many different ways. I watch a good amount of anime, and that alone undoubtedly influences me in many subtle ways. It inspires me to learn more about the language, and depending on the show, other subjects as well. It introduces me to wonderful people, whose work I would never otherwise be familiar with, including composers, voice actors and storytellers. More than anything, it brings me joy, thrills and evokes every emotion on the spectrum. If you're really lucky, you might even find a show that you can take away wonderful philosophical outlooks or give you an entirely new view on some aspect of life. This is of course rare, but I can think of a couple of works that could easily evoke such a response.

But for a good portion of anime, it's just entertainment. I don't expect to take away anything meaningful from Kanokon or Ikkitousen. It's just a bit of fun. (Or not, depending on your outlook. )

Last edited by Echoes; 2011-10-10 at 21:51. Reason: replaced a flippant comment with something more objective
Echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 01:38   Link #11
Jeffry2009
Banned

Well, I'd take anything like Movies, OVAs, mechandize & anything (like doujins, I don't care IF it's hentai or anything). I hated it when good shows end like To Aru Majutsu No index cause I always want more stories of it.

Last edited by Jeffry2009; 2011-10-10 at 07:15.
Old 2011-10-10, 03:54   Link #12
Nihokon

Yeah, Anime affects my life a lot, which is inevitable given that I spend 1/8-1/4 of my day everyday watching Anime (or something related). People who say they aren't influenced by Anime, even a bit, are terrible liars.

One could say that Watching Clannad was the turning point of my life.
Old 2011-10-10, 15:30   Link #13
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Back in the day when I was eating, breathing all things Macross, I would say yes. These days, not so much.
Old 2011-10-10, 17:39   Link #14
Qikz

The bit in Clannad After Story at the end with his Dad made me seriously change my perspective on my situation. My dad was always working, always away and I barely ever saw him (still don't). I used to hate him for it, but Clannad's story made me realise that he was working hard for my benefit and I think that bit in Clannad made me cry more than the rest, although I cried like a baby throughout the final few episodes when I marathoned them.
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 20:59   Link #15
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Hmm, kinda big. More on the personality. I often smile, make jokes, fool around (even in most serious occasions). They often wonder why, I just answer "this is how I am". I'm optimistic but heartless at times (when there is a dead patient ready for the post mortem), I smile.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 21:46   Link #16
Eater of All
NOM

Yep, definitely. Each series differs by extent of influence (some goes in the negative territory even...), but every series does it.

The top two that influenced me are Clannad (AS) and LoGH, the former my family values and the latter my political values.
Old 2011-10-11, 07:45   Link #17
Jeffry2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowSmith View Post
I have to say YES - because I see stories addressed in anime that aren't in live-action TV series or films. I find myself affected by certain animes way more then other media. F.e., show me a live-action anything that matches the beauty of "Haibine Renmei" or "Evangelion".
Well, even though animes is just a fiction for us & affects our life all the time, the only problem was as I mentioned on my posts, it's just irritates me a lot. I mean couldn't forget about what we were just saw on most of sad events throughout the show like Code Geass.

Spoiler for Spoilers:

Last edited by Jeffry2009; 2011-10-14 at 10:57.
Old 2011-10-12, 06:30   Link #18
Nihokon

Clannad sure has lots of influence to its watchers, huh?
Old 2011-10-12, 08:01   Link #19
Haikea

Every anime has human minds behind it. In my opinion, it doesn't matter how fictional something is because human thoughts are the creators anyway. Emotional level I would count any source as valid as others. It is more like matter of taste, what sources are accepted as "reality". Otherwise I could just say that everything I see here is fictional and "get away". Anime is just one way to share thoughts with others just like all text in this forum.

Clannad indeed has some strong influence in my mind. Strongest moments were
Spoiler:
and Tomoyo's alternative world episode. If I would read those episodes as plain text, they would feel sooo boring because basically there is nothing new at all. The magic comes from the visual expressions and sound combined which create certain atmosphere. After that the same dialogue gives quite different reaction from me. Anyway, the whole setup is heavily related how much those characters have developed in my mind so watching the whole anime first give stronger feel than it would just by watching those episodes separately.

Last edited by Haikea; 2011-10-12 at 09:17.
Haikea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 08:46   Link #20
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Need some spoiler tags there, Haikea. In general, you shouldn't ever mention the death of a character without a spoiler tag unless you're posting in the thread about the series, and the event is widely known among the audience (see, e.g., Cross Game).
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote