AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2009-10-14, 17:37   Link #201
Mai Kawasumi
Party! Drink! Sex!

How old is Horo? I heard she's 250 years old, other said she's 400 years old and I don't remember where I read that she's 600, care to explain?

Mai Kawasumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 00:32   Link #202
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai Kawasumi View Post
How old is Horo? I heard she's 250 years old, other said she's 400 years old and I don't remember where I read that she's 600, care to explain?
Most indications point to her being aroun 600 years or more of age. Horo herself states that she has lived as many years as she has hairs on her tail. However, that could have just been distortion on her part.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 01:03   Link #203
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
I like action shows but Spice and Wolf sounds interesting although I read about the show, I learned it is mostly about economics. Is show as good as most people make out to be? I hope it is not something I may regret watching as I had really been studying economics since high school and medieval terms are a bit lost on me.
It's really not too in-dept about economics...it's more like arithmetic + a bit of common sense.
Intranetusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 03:30   Link #204
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
im just starting the novels and am keen to buy the box set when it comes out but firstly i was just wondering how acurately the series follows the novel? is it a good adaptation or not?
Old 2009-11-12, 07:39   Link #205
FTGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Metal Coast View Post
im just starting the novels and am keen to buy the box set when it comes out but firstly i was just wondering how acurately the series follows the novel? is it a good adaptation or not?
Its a very accurate adaptation of the novel so far! Only some details are changed (i.e. Chloe is anime only. In the novel and manga version it is a guy).
FTGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 10:24   Link #206
mastakilla88

I have a question:

The first season follow the volumes 1-2 of the light novel...

So the second season follows 3-4? Or there was a "jump"?
mastakilla88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 12:25   Link #207
FTGT

@mastakilla88

1st season: Volumes 1 and 2
2nd season: Volumes 3 and 5

Volume 4 was skiped due to unknown reasons!
FTGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-17, 04:11   Link #208
mastakilla88

Something important happens in the fourth volume?
Old 2009-11-17, 11:41   Link #209
Denatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastakilla88 View Post
Something important happens in the fourth volume?
Every Spice and Wolf book is important...

But, in terms of romantic and economic development...it has less than either Volume III or Volume V. Just a little bit though.

(From Memory...might be wrong, basic summary)

Summary:

Horo and Lawrence are making their way throughout various regions in the North, with winter beginning to set in, looking for some random book which would help them find Yoitsu. Lawrence sleeps on Horo's tail. Horo gets pissed, punches Lawrence, then hits on him, then makes up with him. They arrive in the village, get a weird feeling about it, but decide to go visit a Church which may hold the book they're searching for. The Church is not particularly popular, as most of the town is pagan.

The Church Head is a chick, which they find weird, and she refuses to let them in. They then proceed to go and get drunk. Horo owns some people. Barmaid tells them her own drunken story. Everything seems to be going ok, except it is then revealed that the village's harvest has been sabotaged by someone or something. The villagers, panicking because they'll have to buy back all of the wheat and they don't have the financial resources to do that, wish to seize Lawrence's assets and even suspect him of being a spy. Lawrence and Horo are kept in the Church for safekeeping. They find out the church head's attracted to and having some kind of relationship with the mill hand, who's hated by the townspeople because they believe he skims profits off their wheat somehow.

Anyway, they show her Horo's ears and she faints because she doesn't believe it at all in an attempt to convince her to let them into the pagan archives. She recovers, still shocked, but lets them see the archives anyway. They rummage through lots of books and Horo hits on Lawrence and cuddles with him or something. Lawrence takes it in stride. This does not last long, however, as crazy village people suddenly demand retribution and the barmaid chick tells them to escape or whatever through a secret entrance. They do while she holds them off. The "escape tunnel" is actually the den of an ancient snake diety whom the townspeople worshiped, but who has since departed from the town. They finally exit this tunnel, ending up right outside of the village. Somewhere along the line they learn the Church is sending a Bishop to investigate things along with mercenaries or what have you, I don't really recall too clearly. They decide to make a run for some town or another and Horo transforms into a giant Wolf. Church girl's boyfriend basically says WTF but accepts it anyway.

They ride Horo for a bit. Horo protects Lawrence from the cold or something, there's also this weird scene with a river or whatever but I can't really recall except that she is naked. Anyway, Lawrence pulls off some weird economic stunt, then proceeds to return to the village with Horo. They come up with a plan to portray Horo as a Saint or something by having her manifest wheat and by letting her separate the infected wheat from the good wheat. They approach the Bishop and tell him he's wrong or whatever. The Bishop doesn't like this and demands to see proof that he is indeed mistaken. They pull off their stunt. The Bishop is amazed. Lawrence then introduces the townspeople to the wonderful idea of cookies. Horo is delighted by this, and eats cookies. Lots of cookies. Lawrence has cookies too. Lawrence gets his money back. Horo hits on Lawrence. Book ends.

-The end.

Last edited by Denatus; 2009-11-17 at 19:36.
Denatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 22:02   Link #210
Saigo no Kotoba
The Sleeping Warrior

Please tell me!

I've just finished watched Spice N Wolf anime 1, and I wonder about how Horo beat the giant wolf from eps. 12. Maybe it's already stated in the novel, but since I don't have volume 2, could anyone tell me what happened?
Sorry if <maybe> the same question has been asked before, since it's really wasting my time if I looking for them...
Saigo no Kotoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-15, 23:04   Link #211
Denatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saigo no Kotoba View Post
I've just finished watched Spice N Wolf anime 1, and I wonder about how Horo beat the giant wolf from eps. 12. Maybe it's already stated in the novel, but since I don't have volume 2, could anyone tell me what happened?
Sorry if <maybe> the same question has been asked before, since it's really wasting my time if I looking for them...

She doesn't beat him. She bows down to the wolf and acknowledges him as an "alpha male" in his territory, hence the dirt of her knees if you look really closely. She's real ticked off about this, as one of her main character traits is pride, hence her reaction to Lawrence. She does it in order that they may continue on their travels without any more interruptions.
Denatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-16, 13:11   Link #212
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It was a classic wolf-wolf interaction --- "you're the boss here, I acknowledge you as alpha". And he was fine with that. Very few wolf debates end in actual violence.

Of course, she's very prideful so it cost her a lot of self-respect.
Old 2009-12-28, 20:23   Link #213
Saigo no Kotoba
The Sleeping Warrior

Thanks a bunch...
Saigo no Kotoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 19:13   Link #214
Budaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denatus View Post
Every Spice and Wolf book is important...

But, in terms of romantic and economic development...it has less than either Volume III or Volume V. Just a little bit though.

(From Memory...might be wrong, basic summary)

Summary:

Horo and Lawrence are making their way throughout various regions in the North, with winter beginning to set in, looking for some random book which would help them find Yoitsu. Lawrence sleeps on Horo's tail. Horo gets pissed, punches Lawrence, then hits on him, then makes up with him. They arrive in the village, get a weird feeling about it, but decide to go visit a Church which may hold the book they're searching for. The Church is not particularly popular, as most of the town is pagan.

The Church Head is a chick, which they find weird, and she refuses to let them in. They then proceed to go and get drunk. Horo owns some people. Barmaid tells them her own drunken story. Everything seems to be going ok, except it is then revealed that the village's harvest has been sabotaged by someone or something. The villagers, panicking because they'll have to buy back all of the wheat and they don't have the financial resources to do that, wish to seize Lawrence's assets and even suspect him of being a spy. Lawrence and Horo are kept in the Church for safekeeping. They find out the church head's attracted to and having some kind of relationship with the mill hand, who's hated by the townspeople because they believe he skims profits off their wheat somehow.

Anyway, they show her Horo's ears and she faints because she doesn't believe it at all in an attempt to convince her to let them into the pagan archives. She recovers, still shocked, but lets them see the archives anyway. They rummage through lots of books and Horo hits on Lawrence and cuddles with him or something. Lawrence takes it in stride. This does not last long, however, as crazy village people suddenly demand retribution and the barmaid chick tells them to escape or whatever through a secret entrance. They do while she holds them off. The "escape tunnel" is actually the den of an ancient snake diety whom the townspeople worshiped, but who has since departed from the town. They finally exit this tunnel, ending up right outside of the village. Somewhere along the line they learn the Church is sending a Bishop to investigate things along with mercenaries or what have you, I don't really recall too clearly. They decide to make a run for some town or another and Horo transforms into a giant Wolf. Church girl's boyfriend basically says WTF but accepts it anyway.

They ride Horo for a bit. Horo protects Lawrence from the cold or something, there's also this weird scene with a river or whatever but I can't really recall except that she is naked. Anyway, Lawrence pulls off some weird economic stunt, then proceeds to return to the village with Horo. They come up with a plan to portray Horo as a Saint or something by having her manifest wheat and by letting her separate the infected wheat from the good wheat. They approach the Bishop and tell him he's wrong or whatever. The Bishop doesn't like this and demands to see proof that he is indeed mistaken. They pull off their stunt. The Bishop is amazed. Lawrence then introduces the townspeople to the wonderful idea of cookies. Horo is delighted by this, and eats cookies. Lots of cookies. Lawrence has cookies too. Lawrence gets his money back. Horo hits on Lawrence. Book ends.

-The end.
So, was an anime adaption of volume 4 released?
Budaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 19:39   Link #215
Budaba

I saw that this anime was under an "Older Series" on here, does that mean that Spice and Wolf II was the absolute LAST season?
Budaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 10:43   Link #216
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

No, it just means that it's not currently airing. There hasn't been any word on a third season yet but, since the second season came out a full year and then some after the first, there's no reason to worry about it yet.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-11, 09:28   Link #217
mastakilla88

Where i can read summary of all LN?
Old 2010-01-11, 17:02   Link #218
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't know that there's a "summary" anywhere... you might try the wikipedia entry. There's a fan translation effort but since the work is now licensed by Yen Press, you'll have to google on your own for it due to Animesuki rules.
Old 2010-01-11, 17:49   Link #219
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Is there any sign of the Light Novel series ending any time soon?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 21:28   Link #220
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

In terms of the story, not that I can tell... they are clearly getting closer to Yoitsu but they seem to be sidetracking and dallying more and more (as if unconsciously avoiding the milestone). Also, we're getting more and more sidestories from the author and there's a longer span between volume releases.

There's a number of different speculations one could make - but that's all they'd be.